IndiaDivine.org

A Few Questions for the Group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals? 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?and finally :)3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.Thanks so much for all of your help!Stephanie

Stephanie,Welcome. I get filled easily when I eat winter squash, baked with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I am not a tofu lover but the husband really loves baked tofu and finds it filling.Hope this helps-keda Sent from my iPhoneOn Oct 11, 2009, at 12:36 AM, Stephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94 wrote:

Hello,I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals? 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?and finally :)3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.Thanks so much for all of your help!Stephanie

Perhaps you are hungry because you are trying to go low carb and your body is

telling you something: it needs fuel to operate (which is what carbs are for).

I would be terribly hungry if trying to limit carbs ... and I see no reason for

doing so. Are you eating enough calories? Is there some particular reason you

want to go low carb? It is possibly to avoid junkier carbs and still get good

ones from potatoes, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Also, the more fiber one eats the more full one will feel. How are you doing on

that score?

Diane

, Stephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94

wrote:

>

> Hello,

>

> I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind.

I used bullet point for ease of communicating:

>

> 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb

and easy to make meals?

>

> 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County,

NJ area?

>

> and finally :)

>

> 3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I

find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.

>

> Thanks so much for all of your help!

>

> Stephanie

>

Neal Barnard MD who advocates a vegan diet or John McDougal who advocates a vegetarian diet are experts on eating as a healthy veget. You can be a vegan and eat terribly. Emphasis on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits and low fat non dairy are paramount. Barnard has a web site pcrm.org and has written many good books - one of which is " Breaking the Food seduction" to help you get off sugar, dairy etc for good. The Vegetarian Resource group at VRG.org also has many good vegan recipes. You also could look into a cookbook by Rose Elliott called Low GI Vegetarian which says eating low on the glycemic index will get you to a good place and limit the bad carbs.When you have the time- think ahead for the week to come - say on the weekend, make up extra whole grains like oat and wheat groats, brown rice, millet,

quinoa, kasha, beans, lentils and freeze them in serving sizes. Stock up on organic canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, vegan soups, frozen Amy's vegan mexican and italian microwave dinners to add fresh or frozen vegs and make up good meals at a moments notice and the extra fiber will fill you up.. Your gut and skin will thank you.Good luck --Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sun, 10/11/09, hathor42 <hathor42 wrote:hathor42 <hathor42 Re: A Few Questions for the Group Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 AM

Perhaps you are hungry because you are trying to go low carb and your body is telling you something: it needs fuel to operate (which is what carbs are for). I would be terribly hungry if trying to limit carbs ... and I see no reason for doing so. Are you eating enough calories? Is there some particular reason you want to go low carb? It is possibly to avoid junkier carbs and still get good ones from potatoes, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Also, the more fiber one eats the more full one will feel. How are you doing on that score?

Diane

, Stephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94@ ...> wrote:

>

> Hello,

>

> I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:

>

> 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals?

>

> 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?

>

>

> 3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.

>

>

> Stephanie

>

And of course our Susan's www.fatfreevegan.com site is one of the best I've found for healthy recipes. Try out her lasagna. It's to die for! We make it all the time.

Mary

Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres

Sun, Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Re: A Few Questions for the Group

Neal Barnard MD who advocates a vegan diet or John McDougal who advocates a vegetarian diet are experts on eating as a healthy veget. You can be a vegan and eat terribly. Emphasis on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits and low fat non dairy are paramount. Barnard has a web site pcrm.org and has written many good books - one of which is " Breaking the Food seduction" to help you get off sugar, dairy etc for good. The Vegetarian Resource group at VRG.org also has many good vegan recipes. You also could look into a cookbook by Rose Elliott called Low GI Vegetarian which says eating low on the glycemic index will get you to a good place and limit the bad carbs.

When you have the time- think ahead for the week to come - say on the weekend, make up extra whole grains like oat and wheat groats, brown rice, millet,

quinoa, kasha, beans, lentils and freeze them in serving sizes. Stock up on organic canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, vegan soups, frozen Amy's vegan mexican and italian microwave dinners to add fresh or frozen vegs and make up good meals at a moments notice and the extra fiber will fill you up.. Your gut and skin will thank you.

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, hathor42 <hathor42 > wrote:

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Re: A Few Questions for the Group

Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 AM

Perhaps you are hungry because you are trying to go low carb and your body is telling you something: it needs fuel to operate (which is what carbs are for). I would be terribly hungry if trying to limit carbs ... and I see no reason for doing so. Are you eating enough calories? Is there some particular reason you want to go low carb? It is possibly to avoid junkier carbs and still get good ones from potatoes, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Also, the more fiber one eats the more full one will feel. How are you doing on that score?

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

> I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:

>

> 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals?

>

> 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?

>

>

> 3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.

>

>

> Stephanie

>

yes - a perfect example to make extra in 2 pans-- eat one and freeze the other - its amazing how great you feel the day you realize a good dinner is waiting at home for little work other than the microwave!!Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy <marylizzy wrote:marylizzy <marylizzyRe: Re: A Few Questions for the Group Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 5:23 PM

And of course our Susan's www.fatfreevegan. com site is one of the best I've found for healthy recipes. Try out her lasagna. It's to die for! We make it all the time.

Mary

Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres >

Neal Barnard MD who advocates a vegan diet or John McDougal who advocates a vegetarian diet are experts on eating as a healthy veget. You can be a vegan and eat terribly. Emphasis on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits and low fat non dairy are paramount. Barnard has a web site pcrm.org and has written many good books - one of which is " Breaking the Food seduction" to help you get off sugar, dairy etc for good. The Vegetarian Resource group at VRG.org also has many good vegan recipes. You also could look into a cookbook by Rose Elliott called Low GI Vegetarian which says eating low on the glycemic index will get you to a good place and limit the bad carbs.

When you have the time- think ahead for the week to come - say on the weekend, make up extra whole grains like oat and wheat groats, brown rice, millet,

quinoa, kasha, beans, lentils and freeze them in serving sizes. Stock up on organic canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, vegan soups, frozen Amy's vegan mexican and italian microwave dinners to add fresh or frozen vegs and make up good meals at a moments notice and the extra fiber will fill you up.. Your gut and skin will thank you.

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stephanie

>

Yes, Patricia. And perfect if you have spur-of-the-moment company. Everyone loves that lasagna.

Mary

Sun, Oct 11, 2009 10:06 pm

yes - a perfect example to make extra in 2 pans-- eat one and freeze the other - its amazing how great you feel the day you realize a good dinner is waiting at home for little work other than the microwave!!

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com>

Sunday, October 11, 2009, 5:23 PM

And of course our Susan's www.fatfreevegan. com site is one of the best I've found for healthy recipes. Try out her lasagna. It's to die for! We make it all the time.

Mary

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stephanie

>

thanks - I will have to try it. I save more of fat free vegan recipes than any other site and she does it with little fat and so much flavoring - a real talent I am a vegiac - a gluten free vegan ........so I have to do so much substitution for any recipes that outcome becomes suspect but her site works well most of the time.Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy <marylizzy wrote:marylizzy <marylizzyRe: Re: A Few Questions for the Group Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 7:50 PM

Yes, Patricia. And perfect if you have spur-of-the- moment company. Everyone loves that lasagna.

Mary

yes - a perfect example to make extra in 2 pans-- eat one and freeze the other - its amazing how great you feel the day you realize a good dinner is waiting at home for little work other than the microwave!!

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

Mary

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stephanie

>

I think --- correct me if I'm wrong -- you can get gluten free lasagna noodles for the lasagna.

Good for you for being vegan AND gluten-free. Tough to do. I have gluten intolerant friends so will pass along any recipes I have that I like and fits the criteria.

Sun, Oct 11, 2009 10:56 pm

thanks - I will have to try it. I save more of fat free vegan recipes than any other site and she does it with little fat and so much flavoring - a real talent

I am a vegiac - a gluten free vegan ........so I have to do so much substitution for any recipes that outcome becomes suspect but her site works well most of the time.

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

Sunday, October 11, 2009, 7:50 PM

Yes, Patricia. And perfect if you have spur-of-the- moment company. Everyone loves that lasagna.

Mary

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

Mary

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stephanie

>