IndiaDivine.org

Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the Group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Mary,

Which lasagna recipe from FFV are you referring to that freezes well? Since hoilday-time is right around the cornor, I would really like to start making meals that I can throw in the freezer for unexpected guests. I make a beautiful vegan lasagna but it has silken tofu in it and gets yucky and weepy when frozen.

Thanks!

Stef

"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."

***Christine Stevens--- On Sun, 10/11/09, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres wrote:

Patricia A Squyres <p.squyresRe: Re: A Few Questions for the Group Received: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 7:06 PM

yes - a perfect example to make extra in 2 pans-- eat one and freeze the other - its amazing how great you feel the day you realize a good dinner is waiting at home for little work other than the microwave!!Patricia Squyres(714) 299-6468(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com>Re: Re: A Few Questions for the GroupSunday, October 11, 2009, 5:23 PM

And of course our Susan's www.fatfreevegan. com site is one of the best I've found for healthy recipes. Try out her lasagna. It's to die for! We make it all the time.Mary

Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres >Sun, Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pmRe: Re: A Few Questions for the Group

Neal Barnard MD who advocates a vegan diet or John McDougal who advocates a vegetarian diet are experts on eating as a healthy veget. You can be a vegan and eat terribly. Emphasis on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits and low fat non dairy are paramount. Barnard has a web site pcrm.org and has written many good books - one of which is " Breaking the Food seduction" to help you get off sugar, dairy etc for good. The Vegetarian Resource group at VRG.org also has many good vegan recipes. You also could look into a cookbook by Rose Elliott called Low GI Vegetarian which says eating low on the glycemic index will get you to a good place and limit the bad carbs.When you have the time- think ahead for the week to come - say on the weekend, make up extra whole grains like oat and wheat groats, brown rice, millet,

quinoa, kasha, beans, lentils and freeze them in serving sizes. Stock up on organic canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, vegan soups, frozen Amy's vegan mexican and italian microwave dinners to add fresh or frozen vegs and make up good meals at a moments notice and the extra fiber will fill you up.. Your gut and skin will thank you.Good luck --Patricia Squyres(714) 299-6468(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sun, 10/11/09, hathor42 <hathor42 > wrote:

hathor42 <hathor42 > Re: A Few Questions for the GroupSunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 AM

Perhaps you are hungry because you are trying to go low carb and your body is telling you something: it needs fuel to operate (which is what carbs are for). I would be terribly hungry if trying to limit carbs ... and I see no reason for doing so. Are you eating enough calories? Is there some particular reason you want to go low carb? It is possibly to avoid junkier carbs and still get good ones from potatoes, whole grains, legumes, etc.Also, the more fiber one eats the more full one will feel. How are you doing on that score?Diane, Stephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94@ ...> wrote:>> Hello,> > I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:> > 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals?

> > 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?> > and finally :)> > 3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.> > Thanks so much for all of your help!> > Stephanie>

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Stef,

The one I love is Susan's favorite lasagna. Here is the link:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/my-favorite-lasagna.html

However, I haven't frozen this. I've always just made one and eat it within a few days. It makes a lot. You might want to make one and freeze it to make sure it freezes well before you use it for company. It does have tofu in it. Or perhaps Susan can let us know if it freezes well. I would assume it does.

Hope this helps,

Mary

P.S. That triple corn soup on her blog today is what I will be trying tonight!

steff davidson <steffdav46

Mon, Oct 12, 2009 8:50 am

Mary,

Which lasagna recipe from FFV are you referring to that freezes well? Since hoilday-time is right around the cornor, I would really like to start making meals that I can throw in the freezer for unexpected guests. I make a beautiful vegan lasagna but it has silken tofu in it and gets yucky and weepy when frozen.

Thanks!

Stef

"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."

***Christine Stevens

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres > wrote:

Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres >

Re: Re: A Few Questions for the Group

Received: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 7:06 PM

yes - a perfect example to make extra in 2 pans-- eat one and freeze the other - its amazing how great you feel the day you realize a good dinner is waiting at home for little work other than the microwave!!

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com>

Sunday, October 11, 2009, 5:23 PM

And of course our Susan's www.fatfreevegan. com site is one of the best I've found for healthy recipes. Try out her lasagna. It's to die for! We make it all the time.

Mary

Sun, Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Neal Barnard MD who advocates a vegan diet or John McDougal who advocates a vegetarian diet are experts on eating as a healthy veget. You can be a vegan and eat terribly. Emphasis on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits and low fat non dairy are paramount. Barnard has a web site pcrm.org and has written many good books - one of which is " Breaking the Food seduction" to help you get off sugar, dairy etc for good. The Vegetarian Resource group at VRG.org also has many good vegan recipes. You also could look into a cookbook by Rose Elliott called Low GI Vegetarian which says eating low on the glycemic index will get you to a good place and limit the bad carbs.

When you have the time- think ahead for the week to come - say on the weekend, make up extra whole grains like oat and wheat groats, brown rice, millet,

quinoa, kasha, beans, lentils and freeze them in serving sizes. Stock up on organic canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, vegan soups, frozen Amy's vegan mexican and italian microwave dinners to add fresh or frozen vegs and make up good meals at a moments notice and the extra fiber will fill you up.. Your gut and skin will thank you.

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, hathor42 <hathor42 > wrote:

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Re: A Few Questions for the Group

Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 AM

Perhaps you are hungry because you are trying to go low carb and your body is telling you something: it needs fuel to operate (which is what carbs are for). I would be terribly hungry if trying to limit carbs ... and I see no reason for doing so. Are you eating enough calories? Is there some particular reason you want to go low carb? It is possibly to avoid junkier carbs and still get good ones from potatoes, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Also, the more fiber one eats the more full one will feel. How are you doing on that score?

Diane

, Stephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94@ ...> wrote:

>

> Hello,

>

> I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:

>

> 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals?

>

> 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?

>

> and finally :)

>

> 3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.

>

> Thanks so much for all of your help!

>

> Stephanie

>

Hi Mary,It freezes just fine (although my family eats it so quickly that we rarely have an occasion to freeze it).  Since it's made with regular tofu rather than silken, freezing doesn't affect the taste or texture.

I'm so glad to hear that others like it was much as we do!Hope you enjoy the triple-corn soup!Susan-------------------------Susan Voisin

FatFree Vegan Kitchenhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.comhttp://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan--------------------------

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM, <marylizzy wrote:

Stef,

The one I love is Susan's favorite lasagna.  Here is the link:

However, I haven't frozen this.  I've always just made one and eat it within a few days.  It makes a lot.  You might want to make one and freeze it to make sure it freezes well before you use it for company.  It does have tofu in it.  Or perhaps Susan can let us know if it freezes well.  I would assume it does.

Hope this helps,

Mary

P.S.  That triple corn soup on her blog today is what I will be trying tonight!

Susan, I just made my grocery list with the ingredients from the triple corn soup. Will try it tonight. It sounds great!

Mary

Susan Voisin <susan

Mon, Oct 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the Group

Hi Mary,

It freezes just fine (although my family eats it so quickly that we rarely have an occasion to freeze it). Since it's made with regular tofu rather than silken, freezing doesn't affect the taste or texture.

I'm so glad to hear that others like it was much as we do!

Hope you enjoy the triple-corn soup!

Susan

-------------------------

Susan Voisin

FatFree Vegan Kitchen

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

http://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan

--------------------------

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM, <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

Stef,

However, I haven't frozen this. I've always just made one and eat it within a few days. It makes a lot. You might want to make one and freeze it to make sure it freezes well before you use it for company. It does have tofu in it. Or perhaps Susan can let us know if it freezes well. I would assume it does.

Hope this helps,

Mary

I am the only vegan and every single recipe is for big families are there any out there for 1?"marylizzy" <marylizzy Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 9:28:05 AMRe: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the

Group

Stef,

http://blog. fatfreevegan. com/2006/ 03/my-favorite- lasagna.html

Hope this helps,

Mary

steff davidson <steffdav46 (AT) (DOT) ca>

Mary,

Thanks!

Stef

***Christine Stevens

yes - a perfect example to make extra in 2 pans-- eat one and freeze the other - its amazing how great you feel the day you realize a good dinner is waiting at home for little work other than the microwave!!

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

And of course our Susan's www.fatfreevegan. com site is one of the best I've found for healthy recipes. Try out her lasagna. It's to die for! We make it all the time.

Mary

Neal Barnard MD who advocates a vegan diet or John McDougal who advocates a vegetarian diet are experts on eating as a healthy veget. You can be a vegan and eat terribly. Emphasis on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits and low fat non dairy are paramount. Barnard has a web site pcrm.org and has written many good books - one of which is " Breaking the Food seduction" to help you get off sugar, dairy etc for good. The Vegetarian Resource group at VRG.org also has many good vegan recipes. You also could look into a cookbook by Rose Elliott called Low GI Vegetarian which says eating low on the glycemic index will get you to a good place and limit the bad carbs.

When you have the time- think ahead for the week to come - say on the weekend, make up extra whole grains like oat and wheat groats, brown rice, millet,

quinoa, kasha, beans, lentils and freeze them in serving sizes. Stock up on organic canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, vegan soups, frozen Amy's vegan mexican and italian microwave dinners to add fresh or frozen vegs and make up good meals at a moments notice and the extra fiber will fill you up.. Your gut and skin will thank you.

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Perhaps you are hungry because you are trying to go low carb and your body is telling you something: it needs fuel to operate (which is what carbs are for). I would be terribly hungry if trying to limit carbs ... and I see no reason for doing so. Are you eating enough calories? Is there some particular reason you want to go low carb? It is possibly to avoid junkier carbs and still get good ones from potatoes, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Also, the more fiber one eats the more full one will feel. How are you doing on that score?

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

> I am new to the group and I have a few questions. I hope you all do not mind. I used bullet point for ease of communicating:

>

> 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for cooking books that are vegan. low carb and easy to make meals?

>

> 2. Are there any pot luck get togethers that are held in the Monmouth County, NJ area?

>

>

> 3. Can anyone suggest a good way I can fill up on any specificvegan foods? I find myself very hungry throughout the entire day never feeling completely full.

>

>

> Stephanie

>

Hi Ann,I have the book Table for Two and it will work for singles too. The website is: http://www.vegsource.com/jo/books/table.htmIt describes the book as the following on the web site: "Table for Two offers you recipes that are nutritious, easy, and lightning fast — most take under 30 minutes to prepare! With just a few ingredients and simple directions, you can have the great taste of family-style cooking without all the leftovers and time-consuming preparation you experience with conventional recipes that feed four or more people. Great for couples, singles, students, and households where only one or two people are vegetarian or where children and/or adults have different

tastes."StephanieAnn Golman <anngolman Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 5:37:52 PMRe: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the Group

I am the only vegan and every single recipe is for big families are there any out there for 1?"marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com" <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com>@ .. comMon, October 12, 2009 9:28:05 AMRe: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the

Group

Stef,

Hope this helps,

Mary

Mary,

Thanks!

Stef

***Christine Stevens

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

Mary

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stephanie

>

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __ http://mail.

Thank youStephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94 Sent: Tue, October 13, 2009 7:14:07 AMRe: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the Group

Hi Ann,I have the book Table for Two and it will work for singles too. The website is: http://www.vegsourc e.com/jo/ books/table. htmIt describes the book as the following on the web site: "Table for Two offers you recipes that are nutritious, easy, and lightning fast — most take under 30 minutes to prepare! With just a few ingredients and simple directions, you can have the great taste of family-style cooking without all the leftovers and time-consuming preparation you experience with conventional recipes that feed four or more people. Great for couples, singles, students, and households where only one or two people are vegetarian or where children and/or adults have different

tastes."StephanieAnn Golman <anngolman >Mon, October 12, 2009 5:37:52 PMRe: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the Group

I am the only vegan and every single recipe is for big families are there any out there for 1?"marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com" <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com>@ . . comMon, October 12, 2009 9:28:05 AMRe: Re:MARY - A Few Questions for the

Group

Stef,

Hope this helps,

Mary

Mary,

Thanks!

Stef

***Christine Stevens

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

Mary

@ .. com

Good luck --

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

hathor42 <hathor42 >

Diane

>

> Hello,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stephanie

>

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __ http://mail.