IndiaDivine.org

McDougall Progam - how to replace bread?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey,

Does anyone here on the MWLP have any sort of substitute for bread they can

suggest?

I know there are flourless tortillas out there somewhere, but none of the

tortillas on the supermarket shelf at this Australian country town fit that

description. Over the weekend it was SO tempting to get the ones with whole

wheat flour and use the " it's not as bad as white flour " excuse.

A brief Google search found one brand of tortilla with no flour, but which

contained soy, which would defeat the purpose of finding something

McDougall-friendly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

According to posts on the MWLP discussion boards, Dr. McDougall is reported to " allow " corn tortillas (made without fat of course) on the MWLP.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM, synchronised_pickles <synchronised_pickles wrote: 

Does anyone here on the MWLP have any sort of substitute for bread they can suggest?

A brief Google search found one brand of tortilla with no flour, but which contained soy, which would defeat the purpose of finding something McDougall-friendly.

Is McDougal against soy? I don't think I ever read that anywhere.

Mary

It depends on what you want it for.  You can use steamed collard leaves for a wrap for a sandwich or put bean burgers or chickpea salad kind of things on a bed of greens. 

You can make " socca " which is a flat bread made from chick pea flour (so dried chick peas made into a flour, no " grain " flour), here is a great recipe:

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/07/recipe-for-socca-garbanzo-or-chickpea.html

I'd love to know what you think if you try it! I haven't made them yet, but I have a bag of chick pea flour, just for that very purpose!

Carrie Forbes @http://www.gingerlemongirl.comEasy, Delicious, Gluten Free, Soy Free & Vegan Recipes

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

It depends on what you want it for.  You can use steamed collard leaves for a wrap for a sandwich or put bean burgers or chickpea salad kind of things on a bed of greens. 

There is no soy or flour products on MWLP. I pretty much use a lot of potatoes when I'm on that plan. The 12 day plan allows flour products. You can always have 1 day or 1 meal off the 12 day program and generally not effect your weight loss goals.

-Xanthia

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Ginger Lemon Girl <gingerlemongirl wrote:

You can make " socca " which is a flat bread made from chick pea flour (so dried chick peas made into a flour, no " grain " flour), here is a great recipe:

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/07/recipe-for-socca-garbanzo-or-chickpea.html

I'd love to know what you think if you try it! I haven't made them yet, but I have a bag of chick pea flour, just for that very purpose!

Carrie Forbes @http://www.gingerlemongirl.comEasy, Delicious, Gluten Free, Soy Free & Vegan Recipes

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

In the book/cookbook "Turn off the fat genes" by Neal Barnard who is and advocates a very low fat vegan diet (www.pcrm.org) there is a recipe by Jennifer Raymond (Peaceful Palate cookbook) for a fat free brown loaf bread made with ww pastry flour, which I always wondered about. Being a gluten free ite I never made it. Food for Life makes a great flavor rice tortilla -6 to a pkg with no wheat but each has 2.5 grams of fat per. They are really big though so 1/2 is an ample wrap. La tortilla factory makes gluten free flour tortillas that have 1.5 grams of fat (in 2- 6 inch tortillas as a serving) coming from the stone ground corn masa flour-no added fat. Don't know if these distribute down under. Bryanna Clark Grogan has put out a cookbook "almost no fat every day" with a fat free flour tortilla recipe and a basic fat free yeast bread dough for rolls, a loaf and sweet variations and a "no fat holiday" cookbook where she repeats the recipe and includes a french bread dough also. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry "synchronised_pickles" <synchronised_picklesMon, 26 Oct 2009 02:00:09 -0000 McDougall Progam - how to replace bread? Hey,Does anyone here on the MWLP have any sort of substitute for bread they can suggest?I know there are flourless tortillas out there somewhere, but none of the tortillas on the supermarket shelf at this Australian country town fit that description. Over the weekend it was SO tempting to get the ones with whole wheat flour and use the " it's not as bad as white flour " excuse.A brief Google search found one brand of tortilla with no flour, but which contained soy, which would defeat the purpose of finding something McDougall-friendly.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been using Ezekiel 4:9 bread (low sodium) which is made from sprouted

grains, not flour and contains no added fats, sugars, salt.

>

> " synchronised_pickles " <synchronised_pickles

> Mon, 26 Oct 2009 02:00:09

>

> McDougall Progam - how to replace bread?

>

> Hey,

>

> Does anyone here on the MWLP have any sort of substitute for bread they can

suggest?

>

> I know there are flourless tortillas out there somewhere, but none of the

tortillas on the supermarket shelf at this Australian country town fit that

description. Over the weekend it was SO tempting to get the ones with whole

wheat flour and use the " it's not as bad as white flour " excuse.

>

> A brief Google search found one brand of tortilla with no flour, but which

contained soy, which would defeat the purpose of finding something

McDougall-friendly.

>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>