http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspx

This site has No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies recipe. I

was thinking of substituting 1 banana for the oil. Any opinions on whether

that would work?

Judy

" I just got out of the hospital. I was in a

speed-reading accident. I hit a bookmark. "

Steven Wright, american comic

It works great. Banana is usually my choice for milk or any recipe that needs moisture/liquid.Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg Sent: Mon, November 9, 2009 9:33:02 AM No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspx This site has No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies recipe. I

that would work? Judy "I just got out of the hospital. I was in a

speed-reading accident. I hit a bookmark." Steven Wright, american comic

With it being only a 1/4th cup to replace, I think that baby food plums or applesauce would work as well. We will try them and let the group know how they come out.Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Mon, 11/9/09, Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg wrote:Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies Date: Monday, November 9, 2009, 9:33 AM

http://allrecipes. com/Recipe/ No-Bake-Chocolat e-Oatmeal- Cookies/Detail. aspx This site has No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies recipe. I

that would work? Judy "I just got out of the hospital. I was in a

speed-reading accident. I hit a bookmark." Steven Wright, american comic

I was HUNGRY for sweets, so I tried the

recipe with applesauce in place of the oil. They taste good, but are

soft/droopy even after being in fridge. Needs less “something” wet.

Judy

On Behalf Of Patricia A Squyres

Monday, November 09, 2009

1:25 PM

Re: No

Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

With it being only a 1/4th cup to replace, I

think that baby food plums or applesauce would work as well. We will try them

and let the group know how they come out.

Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax

--- On Mon, 11/9/09, Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg

wrote:

Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Monday, November 9, 2009, 9:33 AM

http://allrecipes. com/Recipe/ No-Bake-Chocolat e-Oatmeal-

Cookies/Detail. aspx

This site

has No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies recipe. I was thinking of substituting

1 banana for the oil. Any opinions on whether that would work?

Judy

" I

just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed-reading accident.

I hit a bookmark. "

Steven

Wright, american comic

Banana would be thicker but the flavor takes over. I checked internet and most recommend same amt of applesauce as oil called for so maybe need more oats or flour or added raisins to absorb or less applesauce. Humidity plays a part too. Wonder if by tomorrow the ones you made will be more structured as they sit. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry "Judy Goldsmith" <judyjtgMon, 9 Nov 2009 19:13:02 -0500RE: No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies I was HUNGRY for sweets, so I tried therecipe with applesauce in place of the oil. They taste good, but aresoft/droopy even after being in fridge. Needs less “something” wet.Judy On Behalf Of Patricia A SquyresMonday, November 09, 20091:25 PM Subject: Re: NoBake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies With it being only a 1/4th cup to replace, Ithink that baby food plums or applesauce would work as well. We will try themand let the group know how they come out.Patricia Squyres(714) 299-6468(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Mon, 11/9/09, Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net>wrote:Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net> No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies Date: Monday, November 9, 2009, 9:33 AM http://allrecipes. com/Recipe/ No-Bake-Chocolat e-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail. aspx This sitehas No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies recipe. I was thinking of substituting1 banana for the oil. Any opinions on whether that would work? Judy " Ijust got out of the hospital. I was in a speed-reading accident. I hit a bookmark. " StevenWright, american comic

Hello everyone, just thought I'd toss a comment in on these cookies... I made cookies that were very similar to this recipe when I was growing up very often. We called them " preacher cookies " (i have no idea why! lol)

At any rate, the cookies from the original recipe and the recipe you posted from allrecipes are basically a candy recipe (not technically a cookie) and need to reach a certain boiling/heat point for the sugar and the oil to react together and form the tight chemical bond which will make them into " cookies " or into a candy structure.

I think for the cookies to work well without the fat and with a sugar replacement you'd probably have to bake them to remove the a lot of the moisture and for the cookies to take shape and form properly. These cookies were definitely not originally meant to be fat free or low sugar, as those components created the physical structure of the cookie!

I hope this helps!

Carrie @ http://www.gingerlemongirl.comEasy & Delicious Gluten Free Recipes and Baked Goods

2/3 cup maple syrup!

yikes.. thats a lot of sugar..

have you tried date sugar? most nutritious of all sugars per Dr

Michael Greger. Just pulverized dates... Sure the sugar content is

high but its more nutrient dense.. why do desserts have to have so

much sugar! :) Still a fan of Colleens book and Susans Blog for vegan

desserts and baking.

My fav is Susans banana coffee cake.. DELICIOUS.. Best ive ever had!!

Thanks Susan

Thanks everybody for all the comments. I really appreciate your help. I am

learning a lot about ingredients as I work through these recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspx

The " cookie " as I made it (substituting applesauce 1:1 for oil), is the same

consistency today as it was yesterday. It is much more like a soft fudge

with oatmeal in it than a cookie. I was hoping for something more

cookieish, but this may not be obtainable with vegan no-fat ingredients.

I wondered about reducing the sweetener, but it tastes bitter-sweet as it

is. If I tried the date sugar is it 1:1 in measure? I also thought of

using only 1/3 c maple syrup and then adding 1/3 c brown sugar as this might

address some of the wetness.

It could also probably handle adding half again of the oatmeal. Or maybe

add a little flour? Does flour have to cook first? I was thinking of

adding it at the end in an amount to achieve desired consistency.

Judy

Hi JudyI think with fat-free cookies, your either going to have soft moist results or dry results... but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong!I wouldn't add flour to a no-bake cookie, it would taste pretty bad.It would be better to reduce the moisture content of the recipe. And maybe you could leave them out uncovered so they dry out a bit and firm up?Good luck!aliceOn 11/11/2009, at 8:08 AM, Judy Goldsmith wrote:Thanks everybody for all the comments. I really appreciate your help. I amlearning a lot about ingredients as I work through these recipes.http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspxThe "cookie" as I made it (substituting applesauce 1:1 for oil), is the sameconsistency today as it was yesterday. It is much more like a soft fudgewith oatmeal in it than a cookie. I was hoping for something morecookieish, but this may not be obtainable with vegan no-fat ingredients.I wondered about reducing the sweetener, but it tastes bitter-sweet as itis. If I tried the date sugar is it 1:1 in measure? I also thought ofusing only 1/3 c maple syrup and then adding 1/3 c brown sugar as this mightaddress some of the wetness.It could also probably handle adding half again of the oatmeal. Or maybeadd a little flour? Does flour have to cook first? I was thinking ofadding it at the end in an amount to achieve desired consistency.