IndiaDivine.org

New to veagan diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello, all!

My name is Robin. I am brand new to eating a veagan diet (today is day 8) and

I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing! Right now I am dependent on store

bought products (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.) but don't find a lot of variety.

I'm looking for a way to make my own. Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?

I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the

house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful.

My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).

A big issue coming up is two days before Thanksgiving I'm having foot surgery

and won't be able to fix my own food for 3-4 weeks. Any ideas on things I can

fix ahead of time and freeze?

I really want this to work. I know that it is right for me.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Hi RobinGood on you for making such a good change!! And eventually your good habits will almost certainly have some effect on your family, even if they never completely make the switch.I'd recommend making some big batches of chilli and soup (both are very easy to make fat-free) and freezing them in individual servings.Will anyone in your family be cooking for you while you're recuperating? You could try out some of the recipes from fatfreevegan.com and print them out for your husband or kids to make for you. Best wishesalice (in Auckland, New Zealand) On 12/11/2009, at 4:41 AM, rsbm1955 wrote:Hello, all!My name is Robin. I am brand new to eating a veagan diet (today is day 8) and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing! Right now I am dependent on store bought products (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.) but don't find a lot of variety. I'm looking for a way to make my own. Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful. My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).A big issue coming up is two days before Thanksgiving I'm having foot surgery and won't be able to fix my own food for 3-4 weeks. Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?I really want this to work. I know that it is right for me.Thanks in advance,Robin

Hi, Alice,

My 22 y.o. daughter will be doing a lot of the cooking for me. Also, she is the

most open to vegan eating. She is already dairy-free due to IBS issues.

The main problem I will have is the first week after surgery. My foot has to

stay higher than my heart, so anything I eat has to be something I can eat

laying down. I'll get to lay on my side (with my foot propped on pillows)but

that is as close to being upright as I'll get for a week. After the last time I

had this done, we found out that liquis foods don't work too well (it took

forever to get the spilled chili stains out of the sheets!) until week two when

I'm allowed to get into a chair. So, right now I'm looking to be eating a LOT of

sandwiches!

Robin

, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:

>

> Hi Robin

> Good on you for making such a good change!! And eventually your good

> habits will almost certainly have some effect on your family, even if

> they never completely make the switch.

> I'd recommend making some big batches of chilli and soup (both are

> very easy to make fat-free) and freezing them in individual servings.

> Will anyone in your family be cooking for you while you're

> recuperating? You could try out some of the recipes from

> fatfreevegan.com and print them out for your husband or kids to make

> for you.

> Best wishes

> alice (in Auckland, New Zealand)

>

>

>

Wow, that sounds like some serious surgery!I hope it goes really well for you.Best wishesaliceOn 12/11/2009, at 8:14 AM, rsbm1955 wrote: Hi, Alice, My 22 y.o. daughter will be doing a lot of the cooking for me. Also, she is the most open to vegan eating. She is already dairy-free due to IBS issues. The main problem I will have is the first week after surgery. My foot has to stay higher than my heart, so anything I eat has to be something I can eat laying down. I'll get to lay on my side (with my foot propped on pillows)but that is as close to being upright as I'll get for a week. After the last time I had this done, we found out that liquis foods don't work too well (it took forever to get the spilled chili stains out of the sheets!) until week two when I'm allowed to get into a chair. So, right now I'm looking to be eating a LOT of sandwiches! Robin , Alice Leonard <alice wrote: > > Hi Robin > Good on you for making such a good change!! And eventually your good > habits will almost certainly have some effect on your family, even if > they never completely make the switch. > I'd recommend making some big batches of chilli and soup (both are > very easy to make fat-free) and freezing them in individual servings. > Will anyone in your family be cooking for you while you're > recuperating? You could try out some of the recipes from > fatfreevegan.com and print them out for your husband or kids to make > for you. > Best wishes > alice (in Auckland, New Zealand) > > >

Robin,

I like the guiltless gourmet corn chips (baked) with my own fat free refried type beans (check the label for no oil even if it says fat free). I put the beans and salsa into the blender and puree it lightly (on & off with stirring while off). This makes a good meal. Also, split pea soup puree is good. If all else fails, beans and brown rice are good. My favorite is baked sweet potatoes just plain. And, of course, getting some green, leafy vegetables daily is good (kale is my favorite).

Green leafy veggies are in the frozen section of the market, but are collard, mustard or turnip greens. Toast with all fruit jam is a quick breakfast that might be easy when recovering from surgery. And, cereal with soymilk is very quick and easy, too.

I did find a cheeseless pizza, but it was not fat free. Amy's pizza was at Target store frozen section in the U.S. Could be quick & easy, but not fat free. My mom used to make little english muffin pizzas for us as kids with tomato paste as a sauce (just a little sauce, as it is strong). Spaghetti and fat free sauces is good with a salad. And, Trader Joe's had a mini-pita bread that was fat free.

Good luck with your surgery

Maureen

rsbm1955 <mommabird77 Sent: Wed, November 11, 2009 7:41:38 AM New to veagan diet

Hello, all!My name is Robin. I am brand new to eating a veagan diet (today is day 8) and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing! Right now I am dependent on store bought products (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.) but don't find a lot of variety. I'm looking for a way to make my own. Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful. My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).A big issue coming up is two days before Thanksgiving I'm having foot surgery and won't be able to fix my own food for 3-4 weeks. Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?I really want this to work. I know that it is right for me.Thanks in advance,Robin

Hi, Alice,

It's really not a bad surgery...it only takes 30 minutes. But the recovery is

REALLY long and boring!

, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:

>

> Wow, that sounds like some serious surgery!

> I hope it goes really well for you.

> Best wishes

> alice

Hi Robin,

Soups are easy and if you blend them you can drink them out of a mug (and

keep your sheets a little cleaner ;-)

You can feed your family a regular " meat and sides " meal while just eating

the " sides " yourself. A favorite here is 'Thanksgiving' meal where I serve

mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, corn, yams and cranberries. Just all the sides.

Oatmeal with diced fruit in it is great in the cold weather.

Any kind of bean dip or salsa makes a great snack. You can dip carrot or

celery sticks in it. Or bell pepper strips. Yum!

I often bake a potato then slice it up, brown it in a pan and make a sandwich

with ketchup and the 'fried' potato slices. Browned onions would be good on this

too. Or on a mashed potato sandwich. Or any cooked and mashed beans with browned

onions for a sandwich.

If your weather is warm where you live you might want cooler foods like big

salads and fruit smoothies. Or just toss some salad onto some toast for a good

sandwich.

Of course a big batch of stir fry veggies over brown rice or quinoa is nice.

I live in a farming are where people eat MEAT and hunt! I am the local freak.

ha ha. But fresh fruit and veggies are easy to find anywhere as is brown rice

and oatmeal. You can do this and I'll bet you will recover faster on a good diet

full of greens and good stuff.

Good luck!

Linda in Chehalis.

Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?

> I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the

house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful.

My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).

Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?

> I really want this to work. I know that it is right for me.

Hi Robin,All the best for your surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery!You don't need to depend on boca or morningstar for your vegan foods. The best sections of your grocery store will be the bean section, rice section, produce section and spice section. Most major grocery chains will carry a variety of beans, lentils and whole grains if you don't have access to a health food type store that has specialty grains like quinoa. You can pre-make and then freeze soups, chilis, rice dishes and hummus. If your family is willing to help you, you can make veggie sandwiches and wraps made with hummus (store bought or homemade) and a variety of veggies. Look up Vegan jamabalaya, gumbo, rice and beans and all the assorted spices. Stick to brown rice and whole grains and a variety of

spices your pre-made meals. Often times it's just the spices that make the meal, and not the actual meat substances themselves. Do some research on Susan's fatfree vegan recipes for some inspiration.Heal well!~Victoriarsbm1955 <mommabird77 Sent: Wed, November 11, 2009 7:41:38 AM New to veagan diet

Hello, all!

My name is Robin. I am brand new to eating a veagan diet (today is day 8) and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing! Right now I am dependent on store bought products (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.) but don't find a lot of variety. I'm looking for a way to make my own. Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?

I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful. My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).

A big issue coming up is two days before Thanksgiving I'm having foot surgery and won't be able to fix my own food for 3-4 weeks. Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Hi Robin,

I've spent a bit of time on bed rest over the years.

Keep a thick DARK bath towel on hand as a protection of your bedding and

clothing. Enjoy bowls of salad with warm FF vegan chili on top.

Yum...reminds me of taco salad.

You'll want to eat plenty of greens; lettuces, spinach, chard, kale...

Be sure your daughter knows how to steam veggies.

You can introduce her to the fine art of preparing a green smoothie

too...greens, fruit,and water. Many combinations are pleasant.

Keep planning.

Hugs of Support,

Teresa M.

Fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, seeds, sprouts = vegan dietVegan diet DOES NOT REQUIRE previously-prepared foods of any kind, though it may include them.Why make life harder for yourself than is absolutely necessary??

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM, rsbm1955 <mommabird77 wrote:

Hello, all!

My name is Robin. I am brand new to eating a veagan diet (today is day 8) and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing! Right now I am dependent on store bought products (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.) but don't find a lot of variety. I'm looking for a way to make my own. Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?

I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful. My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).

A big issue coming up is two days before Thanksgiving I'm having foot surgery and won't be able to fix my own food for 3-4 weeks. Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Thanks Linda!

Best,

Olwen )O(--- On Wed, 11/11/09, Linda <pioneer588 wrote:

Linda <pioneer588 Re: New to veagan diet Received: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 8:50 PM

Hi Robin, Soups are easy and if you blend them you can drink them out of a mug (and keep your sheets a little cleaner ;-) You can feed your family a regular "meat and sides" meal while just eating the "sides" yourself. A favorite here is 'Thanksgiving' meal where I serve mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, corn, yams and cranberries. Just all the sides. Oatmeal with diced fruit in it is great in the cold weather. Any kind of bean dip or salsa makes a great snack. You can dip carrot or celery sticks in it. Or bell pepper strips. Yum! I often bake a potato then slice it up, brown it in a pan and make a sandwich with ketchup and the 'fried' potato slices. Browned onions would be good on this too. Or on a mashed potato sandwich. Or any cooked and mashed beans with browned onions for a sandwich. If your weather is

warm where you live you might want cooler foods like big salads and fruit smoothies. Or just toss some salad onto some toast for a good sandwich. Of course a big batch of stir fry veggies over brown rice or quinoa is nice. I live in a farming are where people eat MEAT and hunt! I am the local freak. ha ha. But fresh fruit and veggies are easy to find anywhere as is brown rice and oatmeal. You can do this and I'll bet you will recover faster on a good diet full of greens and good stuff. Good luck! Linda in Chehalis.Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?> I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful. My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?> I really

want this to work. I know that it is right for me.---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .