IndiaDivine.org

New to vegan diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would check out the PETA website and the section on it called "I can't believe its vegan" to print out a list of the standard grocery items by categories - there are 9 I think - that are familiar to you and your kids. It helps when transitioning cause everyone is so afraid of the "v" word and what it will do to their life style. Once they see that a lot of the foods they already eat are vegan, they calm down. Start with a weeks worth of menus and add to this so you have a ring binder or such to begin your own cookbook. Check out Amy's Foods web site and see all she has to offer the vegan community. Healthy Bitch, McDougall, PCRM, etc all have allowable lists of common food that is extensive.Dont know where you live but you can check out Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and similar mainframe

health food stores and most of these - either in the store or on the web sites- have printable lists of vegan products they carry.Then invest in some down home cookbooks like "vegan comfort food" by Alicia Simpson, complete idiots guide to vegan cooking / vegan living, vegan planet, which teach you the rules of vegan eating, ingredients to avoid, and the basics for egg, dairy, replacements. Also check out the web sites fatfreevegan, the veganchef, VegNews, VRG.org, vegfamily, vegweb, and all the lovely blogs that seguay off these, and you can begin to see all the resources available to you. You are not alone. You will become more familiar, more confident as you go along. I promise.Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/11/09, rsbm1955 <mommabird77 wrote:rsbm1955 <mommabird77 New to veagan diet Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 7:41 AM

Hello, all!

My name is Robin. I am brand new to eating a veagan diet (today is day 8) and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing! Right now I am dependent on store bought products (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.) but don't find a lot of variety. I'm looking for a way to make my own. Any suggestions for a brand new vegan?

I'm married with 2 kids still at hame, ages 22 & 19. I am the only one in the house that is eating this way, but hubby and daughter are trying to be helpful. My teenage son is a little horrified, I think ;).

A big issue coming up is two days before Thanksgiving I'm having foot surgery and won't be able to fix my own food for 3-4 weeks. Any ideas on things I can fix ahead of time and freeze?

I really want this to work. I know that it is right for me.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Thanks, Patricia!

You've given me a great place to start. I had to laugh at my 19 y.o. son this

morning. He came through and told me he was having a " vegan breakfast " It turns

out that his favorite store brand of fruit loops ARE vegan. However, I couldn't

talk him into soymilk on them!

I live in Hewitt, TX, just south of Waco. The nearest Whole Foods stores are in

the Dallas/Ft. worth area or maybe Austin. Too far to go shop! I don't think

central Texas is too big into the vegetatian diet much less vagan. I have lucked

out though...I just found out an older women at my church is vegan! And I just

happen to have Bible study with her in the AM!

Robin

, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres wrote:

>

> I would check out the PETA website and the section on it called " I can't

believe its vegan " to print out a list of the standard grocery items by

categories - there are 9 I think -  that are familiar to you and your kids. It

helps when transitioning cause everyone is so afraid of the " v " word and what it

will do to their life style. Once they see that a lot of the foods they already

eat are vegan, they calm down.  Start with a weeks worth of menus and add to

this so you have a ring binder or such to begin your own cookbook. Check out

Amy's Foods web site and see all she has to offer the vegan community. Healthy

Bitch, McDougall, PCRM, etc all have allowable lists of common food that is

extensive.

>

> Dont know where you live but you can check out Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader

Joes and similar mainframe health food stores and most of these - either in the

store or on the web sites- have printable lists of vegan products they carry.

>

> Then invest in some down home cookbooks like " vegan comfort food " by Alicia

Simpson, complete idiots guide to vegan cooking / vegan living, vegan planet,

which teach you the rules of vegan eating, ingredients to avoid,  and the

basics for egg, dairy, replacements.

>

> Also check out the web sites fatfreevegan, the veganchef, VegNews, VRG.org,

vegfamily, vegweb, and all the lovely blogs that seguay off these, and you can

begin to see all the resources available to you. You are not alone. You will

become more familiar, more confident as you go along. I promise.

>

> Patricia Squyres

>

> (714) 299-6468

>

> (714) 974-7055 Fax

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Robin, if you have a Kroger near you, see if they have a natural/whole foods section.  All the Krogers around here actually have a pretty decent sampling.  (I'm in the DFW area.)  Tom Thumb usually does as well, but they tend to be higher priced.

Faith

-- " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/

Have your son check out the Madcowboy.com web site of Howard Lyman, who was a multi generational Texas cattle rancher til he started questioning the family practices and became a vegan much to the family horror. He and Oprah Winfrey were sued but won their case in the late 90s by the cattle industry/dairy industry because they dared to state that mad cow disease was prevalent due to the chicken and other wastes given to the cows for feed, their being stuffed into disgusting feed lots and the unsanitary conditions all the way around. He has written a wonderful book/cookbook called NO MORE BULL extolling vegan food using Glen and Joanna Merzer to write very low fat vegan recipes. Your son should also read "Skinny Bastard" which is the up to date this year hip male version of the Skinny Bitch

/ Skinny Bitch in the Kitch series of books where the authors hold nothing back about what is in the food non vegans eat and what the agenda-marketing tricks of the cattle, dairy, seafood and poultry industry is. He can cover the title with a book cover if you wish. :>}. He may become vegan all on his own after that................Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/11/09, rsbm1955 <mommabird77 wrote:rsbm1955 <mommabird77 Re: New to vegan diet Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks, Patricia!

You've given me a great place to start. I had to laugh at my 19 y.o. son this morning. He came through and told me he was having a "vegan breakfast" It turns out that his favorite store brand of fruit loops ARE vegan. However, I couldn't talk him into soymilk on them!

I live in Hewitt, TX, just south of Waco. The nearest Whole Foods stores are in the Dallas/Ft. worth area or maybe Austin. Too far to go shop! I don't think central Texas is too big into the vegetatian diet much less vagan. I have lucked out though...I just found out an older women at my church is vegan! And I just happen to have Bible study with her in the AM!

Robin

, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres@. ..> wrote:

>

> I would check out the PETA website and the section on it called "I can't believe its vegan" to print out a list of the standard grocery items by categories - there are 9 I think - that are familiar to you and your kids. It helps when transitioning cause everyone is so afraid of the "v" word and what it will do to their life style. Once they see that a lot of the foods they already eat are vegan, they calm down. Start with a weeks worth of menus and add to this so you have a ring binder or such to begin your own cookbook. Check out Amy's Foods web site and see all she has to offer the vegan community. Healthy Bitch, McDougall, PCRM, etc all have allowable lists of common food that is extensive.

>

> Dont know where you live but you can check out Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and similar mainframe health food stores and most of these - either in the store or on the web sites- have printable lists of vegan products they carry.

>

> Then invest in some down home cookbooks like "vegan comfort food" by Alicia Simpson, complete idiots guide to vegan cooking / vegan living, vegan planet, which teach you the rules of vegan eating, ingredients to avoid, and the basics for egg, dairy, replacements.

>

> Also check out the web sites fatfreevegan, the veganchef, VegNews, VRG.org, vegfamily, vegweb, and all the lovely blogs that seguay off these, and you can begin to see all the resources available to you. You are not alone. You will become more familiar, more confident as you go along. I promise.

>

> Patricia Squyres

>

> (714) 299-6468

>

> (714) 974-7055 Fax

>

>

>

>

>

> Â

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Do you have an HEB store near you, Robin? They appear to carry the Rudi"s Organic Sandwich Bread which makes alot of vegan loafs, rolls, buns products per their web site Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/11/09, Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl wrote:Faith Stencel <chauceriangirlRe: Re: New to vegan diet Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

Robin, if you have a Kroger near you, see if they have a natural/whole foods section. All the Krogers around here actually have a pretty decent sampling. (I'm in the DFW area.) Tom Thumb usually does as well, but they tend to be higher priced.

Faith

-- "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangi rl.wordpress. com/

Hi, Faith,

Unfortunately, no Krogers or Tom Thumbs. Those are the stores I shopped at in

Ft. Worth until our move to the Waco area 3 years ago.

, Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl wrote:

>

> Robin, if you have a Kroger near you, see if they have a natural/whole foods

> section. All the Krogers around here actually have a pretty decent

> sampling. (I'm in the DFW area.) Tom Thumb usually does as well, but they

> tend to be higher priced.

>

> Faith

>

>

> > --

> > " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he

> > hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however

> > measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

> >

> > Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/

> >

>

YES!!! I have an HEB less than 4 miles from the house! I have a trip planned for

tomorrow! Thank You!!!

, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres wrote:

>

> Do you have an HEB store near you, Robin? They appear to carry the Rudi " s

Organic Sandwich Bread which makes alot of vegan loafs, rolls, buns products per

their web site

>

> Patricia Squyres

>

> (714) 299-6468

>

> (714) 974-7055 Fax

>

> --- On Wed, 11/11/09, Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl wrote:

>

> Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl

> Re: Re: New to vegan diet

>

> Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

>

>

>

>

Robin, if you have a Kroger near you, see if they have a natural/whole

foods section.  All the Krogers around here actually have a pretty decent

sampling.  (I'm in the DFW area.)  Tom Thumb usually does as well, but they

tend to be higher priced.

>

>  

> Faith

>

>

--

> " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he

hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however

measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

>

>

> Visit my blog at http://chauceriangi rl.wordpress. com/

>

Online shopping might be a good solution for you! On 12/11/2009, at 12:11 PM, rsbm1955 wrote:Hi, Faith,Unfortunately, no Krogers or Tom Thumbs. Those are the stores I shopped at in Ft. Worth until our move to the Waco area 3 years ago.

on their web site they have tons of vegetarian recipes many of which could be vegan. But because of that listing I would bet that the store would carry many vegan items anyway. Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/11/09, rsbm1955 <mommabird77 wrote:rsbm1955 <mommabird77 Re: New to vegan diet Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 3:13 PM

YES!!! I have an HEB less than 4 miles from the house! I have a trip planned for tomorrow! Thank You!!!

, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres@. ..> wrote:

>

> Do you have an HEB store near you, Robin? They appear to carry the Rudi"s Organic Sandwich Bread which makes alot of vegan loafs, rolls, buns products per their web site

>

> Patricia Squyres

>

> (714) 299-6468

>

> (714) 974-7055 Fax

>

> --- On Wed, 11/11/09, Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl@ ...> wrote:

>

> Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl@ ...>

> Re: Re: New to vegan diet

>

> Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Â

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Robin, if you have a Kroger near you, see if they have a natural/whole foods section. All the Krogers around here actually have a pretty decent sampling. (I'm in the DFW area.) Tom Thumb usually does as well, but they tend to be higher priced.

>

> Â

> Faith

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --

> "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau

>

>

> Visit my blog at http://chauceriangi rl.wordpress. com/

>