IndiaDivine.org

Robin's Vegan Update

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello to you all!

I want to thank all of you for the many suggestions and helpful hints you've

sent along to me!

I think I'm starting to get the hang of vegan eating and cooking. Hubby and I

sat down this morning and talked " vegan " . We've decided that during the time I'm

down after surgery, we will use what convenience foods that I've already bought.

After that, we (not just me) will start using regular ol' stuff to cook with.

This came after I cooked a mushroom pasta dish out of " An Idiot's Guide to Vegan

Cooking " last night. I had cooked steaks for he and my daughter (son was out on

a date) I had added fresh spinach to the dish right before I served everyone.

About half way through the meal, my daughter started laughing. She looked at her

dad and said " I think we forgot the meat! " Sure enough, there on their plates,

sat the untouched steaks!

I've converted portions of several family meals to vegan for myself and after

listening to comments, I think I'll be able to do it with the whole family.

I've learned that the family accepts the changes better if I leave the meat

out rather than replacing it with an alternative such as Boca crumbles. My

husband, who is the chili maker in our family, has started talking meatless

chili ideas!

This next week, before my surgery on the 24th, I'm going to cook up some baked

beans and chili (using the Boca I already have) and I'm looking for a " meatloaf "

recipe to use for sandwiches. The rest of the stuff I have is pretty straight

forward. It can be made into hot sandwiches. I'm going to make some tofu sour

cream for baked potatoes and have sweet potatoes ready to bake.

I think we're all going to make it just fine!

Thanks again!!!

Robin

this is on the fat free vegan site verboten - you can use cooked barley or similar rather than the tvp if you want - I have been told that Grape Nuts ( less than a gram of fat) also is a good substitute"Meat" Loaf

This was posted by Faith on the McDougall

list, and several people made it and liked it.

Serves 6

2 cups of prepared veg broth

½ cup ketchup

2 tblsp tamari (or soy sauce)

2 cups of TVP granules

1 cup of quick oats or bread crumbs

1/4 cup ground flaxseed

1 tblsp of nutritional yeast

1 tsp each garlic granules, onion powder, oregano and basil

(BBQ topping option: 1/3 cup unsweetened ketchup, 2 tbls tamari, a good shake

of liquid smoke)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. In medium bowl, combine prepared broth, ketchup, tamari and TVP. Mix to

combine and let stand 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.

2. Add remaining ingredients, except topping. Mix well

3. Pack mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a glass casserole. (Many people

making this suggest just forming into a loaf on a baking sheet.) Bake

40-45 minutes.

4. If using topping, spread on loaf during the last 10 minutes of baking.

Tastes great with Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy and mashed potatoes.

Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy

1 cup water or vegetable broth

1 tblsp barley miso

1 Tblsp tamari

2 tblsp nutritional yeast

1/4 cup diced mushrooms

pepper to taste

1 tblsp arrowroot mixed with 1 tblsp water

Combine all ingredients except arrowroot in small saucepan; simmer for 5

minutes. Do not boil as this will kill the beneficial bacteria in miso.

Add arrowroot mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly until

thickened.

Use on meatloaf, potatoes, biscuits, etc.Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sat, 11/14/09, rsbm1955 <mommabird77 wrote:rsbm1955 <mommabird77 Robin's Vegan Update Date: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 2:55 PM

Hello to you all!

I want to thank all of you for the many suggestions and helpful hints you've sent along to me!

I think I'm starting to get the hang of vegan eating and cooking. Hubby and I sat down this morning and talked "vegan". We've decided that during the time I'm down after surgery, we will use what convenience foods that I've already bought. After that, we (not just me) will start using regular ol' stuff to cook with. This came after I cooked a mushroom pasta dish out of "An Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking" last night. I had cooked steaks for he and my daughter (son was out on a date) I had added fresh spinach to the dish right before I served everyone. About half way through the meal, my daughter started laughing. She looked at her dad and said "I think we forgot the meat!" Sure enough, there on their plates, sat the untouched steaks!

I've converted portions of several family meals to vegan for myself and after listening to comments, I think I'll be able to do it with the whole family.

I've learned that the family accepts the changes better if I leave the meat out rather than replacing it with an alternative such as Boca crumbles. My husband, who is the chili maker in our family, has started talking meatless chili ideas!

This next week, before my surgery on the 24th, I'm going to cook up some baked beans and chili (using the Boca I already have) and I'm looking for a "meatloaf" recipe to use for sandwiches. The rest of the stuff I have is pretty straight forward. It can be made into hot sandwiches. I'm going to make some tofu sour cream for baked potatoes and have sweet potatoes ready to bake.

Thanks again!!!

Robin

This all sounds wonderful Robin, I'm really happy it's working out so well. On 15/11/2009, at 11:55 AM, rsbm1955 wrote: Hello to you all! I want to thank all of you for the many suggestions and helpful hints you've sent along to me! I think I'm starting to get the hang of vegan eating and cooking. Hubby and I sat down this morning and talked "vegan". We've decided that during the time I'm down after surgery, we will use what convenience foods that I've already bought. After that, we (not just me) will start using regular ol' stuff to cook with. This came after I cooked a mushroom pasta dish out of "An Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking" last night. I had cooked steaks for he and my daughter (son was out on a date) I had added fresh spinach to the dish right before I served everyone. About half way through the meal, my daughter started laughing. She looked at her dad and said "I think we forgot the meat!" Sure enough, there on their plates, sat the untouched steaks! I've converted portions of several family meals to vegan for myself and after listening to comments, I think I'll be able to do it with the whole family. I've learned that the family accepts the changes better if I leave the meat out rather than replacing it with an alternative such as Boca crumbles. My husband, who is the chili maker in our family, has started talking meatless chili ideas! This next week, before my surgery on the 24th, I'm going to cook up some baked beans and chili (using the Boca I already have) and I'm looking for a "meatloaf" recipe to use for sandwiches. The rest of the stuff I have is pretty straight forward. It can be made into hot sandwiches. I'm going to make some tofu sour cream for baked potatoes and have sweet potatoes ready to bake. I think we're all going to make it just fine! Thanks again!!! Robin

Robyn,

I'm so glad it's working out!!

I made my menus for my first week of mcdougalling, and was very pleasantly surprised at the cash register. It's amazing how much your grocery bills go down when you're feasting off veggies, grains, potatoes, fruits, etc.  Really makes a difference.

Faith-- " Let us go forward into daylight, basking in the joy Christ radiates. May we leave our failures behind, accepting instead the Savior's gifts--healing from our disappointments, refinement through our experiences, and His ultimate commendation, 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant' (Matthew 25:21). " --Kimberly Webb, Finding Daylight.

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/

Patricia,

Thank ypu so much for the " meat " loaf recipe! I actually have all the

ingredients to make it!

Robin

, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres wrote:

>

> this is on the fat free vegan site verboten - you can use cooked barley or

similar rather than the tvp if you want -  I have been told that Grape Nuts (

less than a gram of fat) also is a good substitute

> " Meat " Loaf

> This was posted by Faith on the McDougall

> list, and several people made it and liked it.

>

>

>

> Serves 6

> 2 cups of prepared veg broth

>

> ½ cup ketchup

>

> 2 tblsp tamari (or soy sauce)

>

> 2 cups of TVP granules

>

> 1 cup of quick oats or bread crumbs

>

> 1/4 cup ground flaxseed

>

> 1 tblsp of nutritional yeast

>

> 1 tsp each garlic granules, onion powder, oregano and basil

> (BBQ topping option: 1/3 cup unsweetened ketchup, 2 tbls tamari, a good shake

> of liquid smoke)

> Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

> 1. In medium bowl, combine prepared broth, ketchup, tamari and TVP. Mix to

> combine and let stand 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.

> 2. Add remaining ingredients, except topping. Mix well

> 3. Pack mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a glass casserole. (Many people

> making this suggest just forming into a loaf on a baking sheet.)  Bake

> 40-45 minutes.

> 4. If using topping, spread on loaf during the last 10 minutes of baking.

> Tastes great with Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy and mashed potatoes.

> Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy

> 1 cup water or vegetable broth

>

> 1 tblsp barley miso

>

> 1 Tblsp tamari

>

> 2 tblsp nutritional yeast

>

> 1/4 cup diced mushrooms

>

> pepper to taste

>

> 1 tblsp arrowroot mixed with 1 tblsp water

> Combine all ingredients except arrowroot in small saucepan; simmer for 5

> minutes. Do not boil as this will kill the beneficial bacteria in miso.

> Add arrowroot mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly until

> thickened.

> Use on meatloaf, potatoes, biscuits, etc.

>

> Patricia Squyres

>

> (714) 299-6468

>

> (714) 974-7055 Fax

>

good - I am sure that being relieved that your family wont starve while you are hospitalized and laid up will make the recovery so much shorter. Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Sat, 11/14/09, rsbm1955 <mommabird77 wrote:rsbm1955 <mommabird77 Re: Robin's Vegan Update Date: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 4:48 PM

Patricia,

Thank ypu so much for the "meat" loaf recipe! I actually have all the ingredients to make it!

Robin

, Patricia A Squyres <p.squyres@. ..> wrote:

>

> this is on the fat free vegan site verboten - you can use cooked barley or similar rather than the tvp if you want -Â I have been told that Grape Nuts ( less than a gram of fat) also is a good substitute

> "Meat" Loaf

> This was posted by Faith on the McDougall

> list, and several people made it and liked it.

>

>

>

> Serves 6

> 2 cups of prepared veg broth

>

> ½ cup ketchup

>

> 2 tblsp tamari (or soy sauce)

>

> 2 cups of TVP granules

>

> 1 cup of quick oats or bread crumbs

>

> 1/4 cup ground flaxseed

>

> 1 tblsp of nutritional yeast

>

> 1 tsp each garlic granules, onion powder, oregano and basil

> (BBQ topping option: 1/3 cup unsweetened ketchup, 2 tbls tamari, a good shake

> of liquid smoke)

> Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

> 1. In medium bowl, combine prepared broth, ketchup, tamari and TVP. Mix to

> combine and let stand 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.

> 2. Add remaining ingredients, except topping. Mix well

> 3. Pack mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a glass casserole. (Many people

> making this suggest just forming into a loaf on a baking sheet.)Â Bake

> 40-45 minutes.

> 4. If using topping, spread on loaf during the last 10 minutes of baking.

> Tastes great with Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy and mashed potatoes.

> Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy

> 1 cup water or vegetable broth

>

> 1 tblsp barley miso

>

> 1 Tblsp tamari

>

> 2 tblsp nutritional yeast

>

> 1/4 cup diced mushrooms

>

> pepper to taste

>

> 1 tblsp arrowroot mixed with 1 tblsp water

> Combine all ingredients except arrowroot in small saucepan; simmer for 5

> minutes. Do not boil as this will kill the beneficial bacteria in miso.

> Add arrowroot mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly until

> thickened.

> Use on meatloaf, potatoes, biscuits, etc.

>

> Patricia Squyres

>

> (714) 299-6468

>

> (714) 974-7055 Fax

>

So glad you are getting it sorted out. It's quite a challenge at first.

Sounds like your family is being supportive and open minded. That's great.

Keep up posted after surgery if you can get to your PC!

Judy

On Behalf Of rsbm1955

I want to thank all of you for the many suggestions and helpful hints

you've sent along to me!

Thanks again!!!

Robin

Here's another great resource for making vegan loaves: Magic Loaf Studio. I've made several using this and they've all turned out great. Martha Robin's Vegan Update

I'm looking for a "meatloaf" recipe to use for sandwiches.

Thanks again!!!

Robin

Hi Martha,

Although I am a more "silent" participant in the group I read all the helpful tips and menus. This is a great thank you for the "Magic Loaf Studio". I just received the recipe for my Birthday Loaf and I am heading in the kitchen.

Thanks again

Paula

P.S. I am a 100% vegetarian and a 90% vegan - still trying out substitutes.--- On Thu, 11/19/09, Martha <mnatural22 wrote:

Martha <mnatural22Re: Robin's Vegan Update Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 9:39 AM

Here's another great resource for making vegan loaves: Magic Loaf Studio. I've made several using this and they've all turned out great. Martha

Robin's Vegan Update

I'm looking for a "meatloaf" recipe to use for sandwiches.

Thanks again!!!Robin

I’ve made this one before and it’s really good:

http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/?p=61#comment-11212

Even my omni hubby liked it. It’s got no added fat, and you could always use a low fat tofu as well.

Anna

Robin's Vegan Update

I'm looking for a " meatloaf " recipe to use for sandwiches.

Thanks again!!!

Robin

Ok Guys,

I never post and am an avid reader of your group. Have been trying unsuccessfully to become vegan. You have helped migrate toward veggies and fruit but but am not there yet.

It all of a sudden has become extremely urgent and important. Prostrate cancer has jumped back into my life with no cure left only ways to slow it down. So I began looking up anti cancer foods and guess what they are all vegan with a large emphasis to eat food that are anti bacterial as well. Oh bone health is imp too.

Suggestions, cookbook that HAS SOME SCIENTIFIC VALIDITY in affecting cancer or related prostrate/lymph systems. I really need to like it as well to stay on the life food plan.

Please your input may prolong and make the quality of what is left of my life better.

Sincerely and Thanks,

Tom W.

PS Help me get more than 4 or 5 quality years on this earth! 

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg wrote:

Wow.  I agree that it looks fabulous.  I’m gonna have to try this one!

Judy

On Behalf Of pipedream63

I’ve made this one before and it’s really good:http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/?p=61#comment-11212

_

-- TCW

Martha - Thank you so much for the tip on the vegan dinner loaf. The combinations look endless and tasty. I have never found a vegan version of a "meatloaf" type dish that worked well. I have been vegan for several years, and honestly don't recall the proportions to use in a loaf dish. I have checked the site carefully, and tried the SDA's links, etc., but have failed to find proportions to give me a good start in trying one. I know they may vary with the choices one makes, but are there some general guidelines you could give me as a springboard? I would surely appreciate it, and am anxious to get started with one. Thank you bunches, Max

Hi TomWell, it sounds like you already know what you have to do - go vegan! don't delay, just decide today that you no longer eat animal products.Seriously, what on earth is stopping you, when you know what a difference it will make?!You ask for a cookbook with scientific validity - well, cookbooks are there to provide recipes.You say you need to really like the food to stick with the diet - well, do you really like being alive? Do your family and friends really like having you around?I hope I don't sound too harsh, but come on! Changing your diet is not easy but it's not difficult either. Don't let little excuses keep you from eating for your health.With loveAliceOn 21/11/2009, at 11:27 AM, Tom Williams wrote:Ok Guys, I never post and am an avid reader of your group. Have been trying unsuccessfully to become vegan. You have helped migrate toward veggies and fruit but but am not there yet. It all of a sudden has become extremely urgent and important. Prostrate cancer has jumped back into my life with no cure left only ways to slow it down. So I began looking up anti cancer foods and guess what they are all vegan with a large emphasis to eat food that are anti bacterial as well. Oh bone health is imp too. Suggestions, cookbook that HAS SOME SCIENTIFIC VALIDITY in affecting cancer or related prostrate/lymph systems. I really need to like it as well to stay on the life food plan. Please your input may prolong and make the quality of what is left of my life better. Sincerely and Thanks, Tom W. PS Help me get more than 4 or 5 quality years on this earth!