Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with

1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm

water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer

while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan

but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan

in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the

pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal

what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her

doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.

Thanks

Edith

Hi Edith

Sounds like you are doing fine. All the extra fiber and germ in the

whole wheat makes for a heavier loaf than white flour, so your dough

will not rise as high as Mom's

Put it in the pan, let it rise, preheat the oven and bake!

Yum!

Dh brought home some pumpkin butter last night, would go great on your

homemade bread...sort of pumpkin-pie jam

lc carol

Hi EdithBread made with whole wheat flour doesn't rise as much as bread made with white flour. did you try baking your loaves? Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardAnd now, a blog: www.veganzestforlife.blogspot.comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 18/11/2009, at 5:27 AM, kattssmith wrote: Hi everyone, I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help. Thanks Edith

The key to baking with whole wheat flour has nothing to do with how warm the space is when you are rising. It is all about how much you knead the dough. You have to knead the dough about 300 times for each loaf you are making. You have to get the flour worked into such a state that the flour turns white with flecks of brown gluten in it. If you don't knead whole wheat dough enough, then you won't get a nicely risen loaf.

Also, different for whole wheat flour. Add all the flour that you need to use into the bowl before you add the liquids. No adding flour after or to "soak up" any excess liquid. Whole wheat flour will absorb more than white flour, so you need to have it in contact with the liquid as much as possible. Also different, try your best to not use any dry flour on the board when you are kneading. It will disturb the integrity of your dough.

I switched to using whole wheat flour exclusively from using white flour for many years. Wheat flour has it's own personality. It's never quite a one for one substitution. But it can be done. "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith

kattssmith <kattssmith Sent: Tue, November 17, 2009 11:27:13 AM Help with baking breadHi everyone,I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the

pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.ThanksEdith ---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

As already noted, WW flour dough doesn't rise like white flour does.

You might try maybe half and half WW and white flour. You might also try adding Vital Wheat Gluten flour....I think it's 1 T per cup of flour. This helps the bread to rise when whole grains are used.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:27 AM, kattssmith <kattssmith wrote:

Hi everyone,I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.

ThanksEdith

I have never been able to get anything with yeast to rise! Despite following directions exactly, breads, pizza crusts, anything that has yeast in it has never risen for me. :( I’m jinxed. LOL

Anna

On 18/11/09 3:27 AM, " kattssmith " <kattssmith wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.

Thanks

Edith

This is very interesting, thank you!! On 18/11/2009, at 9:40 AM, Shelby wrote: The key to baking with whole wheat flour has nothing to do with how warm the space is when you are rising. It is all about how much you knead the dough. You have to knead the dough about 300 times for each loaf you are making. You have to get the flour worked into such a state that the flour turns white with flecks of brown gluten in it. If you don't knead whole wheat dough enough, then you won't get a nicely risen loaf. Also, different for whole wheat flour. Add all the flour that you need to use into the bowl before you add the liquids. No adding flour after or to "soak up" any excess liquid. Whole wheat flour will absorb more than white flour, so you need to have it in contact with the liquid as much as possible. Also different, try your best to not use any dry flour on the board when you are kneading. It will disturb the integrity of your dough. I switched to using whole wheat flour exclusively from using white flour for many years. Wheat flour has it's own personality. It's never quite a one for one substitution. But it can be done. "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith

Yes I did, you could tell that they needed to raise more. They could have been used as a door stop.--- On Tue, 11/17/09, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:Alice Leonard <aliceRe: Help with baking bread Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 8:37 PM

Hi EdithBread made with whole wheat flour doesn't rise as much as bread made with white flour. did you try baking your loaves? Best

wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardAnd now, a blog: www.veganzestforlif e.blogspot. comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 18/11/2009, at 5:27 AM, kattssmith wrote: Hi everyone, I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the

whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help. Thanks Edith

You might need to use a mix of this and BREAD flour mix to get a higher rise just as you would when using WW flour. One of the readers said kneading the dough a lot was key so maybe again, regardless of color, if you use only this flour, it needs to be kneaded. No pun intended. With no mention of using it for bread, this is from the King Arthur Flour Co web site:Try this NEW, lighter whole wheat flour.

Trying

to get whole grain goodness into your diet? King Arthur’s 100% white

whole wheat is lighter whole wheat, with 100% of the nutrition!

Milled from hard white spring wheat, rather than traditional red wheat.Makes lighter-colored, milder-tasting baked goods.Perfect for cookies, bars, bread, muffins, pancakes… all your favorite baked goods.Use as you would traditional whole wheat flour.For freshest taste, store in freezer.In 5-pound bag.

Protein: 13.2%. ( Whole Wheat Flour has 14% protein)

WHY WE LOVE IT: Unless you love the somewhat

assertive flavor of traditional whole wheat, we strongly urge you to

use this white whole wheat—or our organic white whole wheat—for your

whole-grain baking. Lighter colored, milder tasting, and a somewhat

finer grind, it acts much more like white flour in baking. We routinely

substitute white wheat for 100% of the all-purpose flour in cookie,

muffin, brownie, pancake, and other recipes where the difference won’t

be noticeable. Like, don’t make an angel food cake with it; but

gingerbread? Chocolate chip cookies? Cinnamon muffins? Go for it! Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/18/09, Tom Fronczak, LICSW <TJFronczak wrote:Tom Fronczak, LICSW <TJFronczak Re: Help with baking bread Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 7:01 AM

Would the comments about using WW flour also apply to WHITE whole wheat flour? ie. not rise as high, add 1 T vital wheat gluten per one cup flour etc.)

Yes, that Vital Wheat Gluten is a miracle maker - also in addition I have been using part ww pastry flour which is finer and allows the bread to raise with a softer texture.

Jeanette-"Tom Fronczak, LICSW" <TJFronczak"fatfree vegan" Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:01:37 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern Re: Help with baking bread

Would the comments about using WW flour also apply to WHITE whole wheat flour? ie. not rise as high, add 1 T vital wheat gluten per one cup flour etc.)

Edith,

Take a look at my website that I made specifically to help teach folks how to make a 100% whole wheat loaf of bread with a soft, tender texture.

http://www.make-your-own-bread.com/

And feel free to holler with any questions ... the website has lots of upclose pictures, step-by-step directions. The absolute most important aspect is to NOT add too much flour. When you start kneading (either by hand or mixer or food processor) the dough needs to be super sticky and gooey ... like taffey.

Then the second most important aspect is to knead and knead and knead until this stickey gooey mixture turns into a super, silky smooth texture. This page shows the beginning and ending point of kneading:

http://www.make-your-own-bread.com/kneading.html

(scroll down to the first two pictures).

Hope this helps.

Brenda

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, kattssmith <kattssmith wrote:

kattssmith <kattssmith Help with baking bread Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 11:27 AM

Hi everyone,I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.ThanksEdith

thank you Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/18/09, Brenda Wiley <wilfamban wrote:Brenda Wiley <wilfambanRe: Help with baking bread Cc: kattssmithDate: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 10:43 AM

Edith,

Take a look at my website that I made specifically to help teach folks how to make a 100% whole wheat loaf of bread with a soft, tender texture.

http://www.make- your-own- bread.com/

And feel free to holler with any questions ... the website has lots of upclose pictures, step-by-step directions. The absolute most important aspect is to NOT add too much flour. When you start kneading (either by hand or mixer or food processor) the dough needs to be super sticky and gooey ... like taffey.

Then the second most important aspect is to knead and knead and knead until this stickey gooey mixture turns into a super, silky smooth texture. This page shows the beginning and ending point of kneading:

http://www.make- your-own- bread.com/ kneading. html

(scroll down to the first two pictures).

Hope this helps.

Brenda

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, kattssmith <kattssmith > wrote:

kattssmith <kattssmith > Help with baking breadTuesday, November 17, 2009, 11:27 AM

Hi everyone,I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.ThanksEdith

Wow, what an amazing resource, thanks so much Brenda! I'm going to give breadmaking another go - you've inspired me!! Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardAnd now, a blog: www.veganzestforlife.blogspot.comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 19/11/2009, at 7:43 AM, Brenda Wiley wrote: Edith, Take a look at my website that I made specifically to help teach folks how to make a 100% whole wheat loaf of bread with a soft, tender texture. http://www.make-your-own-bread.com/ And feel free to holler with any questions ... the website has lots of upclose pictures, step-by-step directions. The absolute most important aspect is to NOT add too much flour. When you start kneading (either by hand or mixer or food processor) the dough needs to be super sticky and gooey ... like taffey. Then the second most important aspect is to knead and knead and knead until this stickey gooey mixture turns into a super, silky smooth texture. This page shows the beginning and ending point of kneading: http://www.make-your-own-bread.com/kneading.html (scroll down to the first two pictures). Hope this helps. Brenda --- On Tue, 11/17/09, kattssmith <kattssmith > wrote: kattssmith <kattssmith > Help with baking bread Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 11:27 AM Hi everyone,I have a problem with baking bread. I don't know what I am do wrong. I have Fleishmans yeast. I used 1/4c warm water between 110 and 115 like it said with 1/4t sugar. Let is bubble and added it to the whole wheat flour with 3/4c warm water, mixed it, kneed it, put it in a pan to rise. I put the pan on the dryer while I was doing laundry to be a warm place. It raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. The next day I tried again and put the bread pan in a pan of warm water for the warmth. Once again it raised to the top of the pan but would not raise anymore. I really want to do this but have not ideal what is going on. My mother used to bake bread a lot and I do not remember her doing anything different but using white flour. Please help.ThanksEdith

> Would the comments about using WW flour also apply to WHITE whole

wheat flour? ie. not rise as high, add 1 T vital wheat gluten per one

cup flour etc.)

I always use the VWG when using white whole wheat, too.

Sue in NJ