IndiaDivine.org

Safe cookware fraud?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. John McDougall wrote about non-stick cookware several years ago in his monthly newsletter (http://bit.ly/62q7Zy). In that issue (May, 2006) he says, "During my 35 years of medical practice I have never seen, or even heard of, anyone becoming sick or dying from exposure to the components of the non-stick surfaces of pots and pans. However, I have seen thousands, and heard of hundreds of millions, of people made sick by eating grease. The purpose of non-stick pans is to cut out the vegetable oils and animal fats used in cooking."And while he did not specifically mention Swiss Diamond, he does mention Teflon, as well as the other non-stick brands. In the McDougall workshops, Mary

McDougall uses Swiss Diamond pans, as well as Berndes. My opinion of Dr. McDougall is that he rigorously follows research, and adapts his recommendations accordingly. As he says, oils and fats are by far a much bigger health hazard, and anything folks can do to eliminate use of those items will only improve health.Brenda--- On Fri, 11/20/09, Cathy Haley <momof2n3 wrote:Cathy Haley <momof2n3 Safe cookware fraud? Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 2:43 PM

I researched the Swiss Diamond cookware and came across this website

that others might find interesting

http://www.naturaln ews.com/021059. html

Thanks for this perspective, Brenda. While I absolutely LOVE the vegan community and raw foodists and anyone else who is desirous of eating and living as healthy as possible for the planet, ourselves, and our fellow beings, sometimes I feel overwhelmed by all the information out there, especially on the internet. The more I study, the more I realize that the biggest damage being done is through the large scale eating of animal products, fats, sugars, and sodium. The more I focus on this and don't get too worried about the rest of the stuff like whether or not I'm getting zapped by using my microwave or having an electric blanket or sleeping next to an electric clock, the less stressful I feel. And I know the more we can lessen our stress the healthier we will be as well.

That said, I also must admit that I am enjoying the information, both pro and con about cookware, as I am now in the market for some new pans. If I'm going to spend big bucks and keep the pans for perhaps the rest of my life (I'm no spring chicken), I'd like to have that which allows me to cook without oil AND, if possible, avoid Teflon.

Fondly,

Mary

Brenda Wiley <wilfamban

Fri, Nov 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: Safe cookware fraud?

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. John McDougall wrote about non-stick cookware several years ago in his monthly newsletter (http://bit.ly/62q7Zy). In that issue (May, 2006) he says,

"During my 35 years of medical practice I have never seen, or even heard of, anyone becoming sick or dying from exposure to the components of the non-stick surfaces of pots and pans. However, I have seen thousands, and heard of hundreds of millions, of people made sick by eating grease. The purpose of non-stick pans is to cut out the vegetable oils and animal fats used in cooking."

And while he did not specifically mention Swiss Diamond, he does mention Teflon, as well as the other non-stick brands. In the McDougall workshops, Mary

McDougall uses Swiss Diamond pans, as well as Berndes. My opinion of Dr. McDougall is that he rigorously follows research, and adapts his recommendations accordingly.

As he says, oils and fats are by far a much bigger health hazard, and anything folks can do to eliminate use of those items will only improve health.

Brenda

--- On Fri, 11/20/09, Cathy Haley <momof2n3 > wrote:

Cathy Haley <momof2n3 >

Safe cookware fraud?

Friday, November 20, 2009, 2:43 PM

I researched the Swiss Diamond cookware and came across this website

that others might find interesting

http://www.naturaln ews.com/021059. html

so whats the deal? is swiss diamond ok to use or not?

based on that website I now have no idea and just ordered some?

ugh!!

Did Mary McDougall use Swiss Diamond. I know she likes Berndes.

If Swiss Diamond uses teflon or the chemical contained in it, I would not want

to use Swiss Diamond, or is this just internet folklore. Maybe we should check

snopes.com

Tom,

Let us know what snopes says. And if you find out it has it, you could probably return it before using it and get your money back. The information regarding Teflon in Swiss Diamond is from an article by Mike Adams. I've read Mike for years, and must say, I take much of what he says with a grain of salt. I'm not saying he's wrong about stuff, I'm just saying I find he catastrophizes sometimes.

Just some thoughts,

Mary

Tom Fronczak, LICSW <TJFronczak

Sat, Nov 21, 2009 9:33 am

Re: Safe cookware fraud?

so whats the deal? is swiss diamond ok to use or not?

based on that website I now have no idea and just ordered some?

ugh!!

Did Mary McDougall use Swiss Diamond. I know she likes Berndes.

If Swiss Diamond uses teflon or the chemical contained in it, I would not want to use Swiss Diamond, or is this just internet folklore. Maybe we should check snopes.com