IndiaDivine.org

how to get over the fat hurdle?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello all,

i've been diabetic for 20 years now. Recently read the China Study, So i've been

trying to change my lifestyle. For many years I was hearing about the atkins

Diet being the one to try, then the Zone...never heard about vegan diets. At

least not in a good way. Just that they didn't have enough protein and anyone

following them would get sick.

Then I read the China Study. Interesting. To say the least.

I do have a problem with a vegan diet tho. I only tolerate small amounts of soy,

and no nuts. I can eat white rice but brown makes my stomach hurt. I have

problems with salt and too much garlic Can't eat cilantro, so most of the

Esselstyn recipes are out.

Any body have any easy recipes? Any encouragement to offer? Seems that a good

number of people move to the diet for health reasons. How do you stay motivated?

Rene

Try the Eat to Live program by Dr. furman. Sincerely ShereneSent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry® "faestion1" <neichan22Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:13:59 -0000 how to get over the fat hurdle? Hello all,i've been diabetic for 20 years now. Recently read the China Study, So i've been trying to change my lifestyle. For many years I was hearing about the atkins Diet being the one to try, then the Zone...never heard about vegan diets. At least not in a good way. Just that they didn't have enough protein and anyone following them would get sick. Then I read the China Study. Interesting. To say the least. I do have a problem with a vegan diet tho. I only tolerate small amounts of soy, and no nuts. I can eat white rice but brown makes my stomach hurt. I have problems with salt and too much garlic Can't eat cilantro, so most of the Esselstyn recipes are out. Any body have any easy recipes? Any encouragement to offer? Seems that a good number of people move to the diet for health reasons. How do you stay motivated?Rene

Hi ReneYou can do it!Yes, you will have to adjust recipes to make them suit your requirements, but that's very achievable. My husband Billy can't have any oil, no nuts, no tofu, no avocado etc etc and we manage to eat very well! (We're vegan for ethical reasons but love the health benefits too!)You might like to try asafoetida (an Indian spice, also known as hing) as a garlic replacer - it's supposed to help with digestion, too. If you can't eat brown rice, then eat white rice - but do try other whole grains, too - have you had quinoa? Delicious!Best wishesAliceOn 28/11/2009, at 1:13 PM, faestion1 wrote:Hello all,i've been diabetic for 20 years now. Recently read the China Study, So i've been trying to change my lifestyle. For many years I was hearing about the atkins Diet being the one to try, then the Zone...never heard about vegan diets. At least not in a good way. Just that they didn't have enough protein and anyone following them would get sick. Then I read the China Study. Interesting. To say the least. I do have a problem with a vegan diet tho. I only tolerate small amounts of soy, and no nuts. I can eat white rice but brown makes my stomach hurt. I have problems with salt and too much garlic Can't eat cilantro, so most of the Esselstyn recipes are out. Any body have any easy recipes? Any encouragement to offer? Seems that a good number of people move to the diet for health reasons. How do you stay motivated?Rene

First of all, I'm SO glad you finally found this way of eating. We are so indoctrinated by the high protein/high fat/high dairy/high animal products stuff out there. I have never been healthier or felt better since switching from all of that to a low fat vegan diet. Same with my husband. And we are both in our 60s so we have a lot of bad eating time to make up for.

The biggest incentive is when you start to see changes in how you feel, in perhaps curing your diabetes, and from lots of other great research on the benefits of vegan diets. Dr. Neal Barnard at Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (google it) on curing diabetes and many other things. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, too. (www.drfuhrman.com). There is lots of good information on this site and Susan (our list mother and creator) has fabulous recipes at www.fatfreevegan.com. You don't have to eat soy or nuts or anything else you don't like to change to this way of eating (unless you don't like fruits and vegetables). But I believe someone can learn to like anything if they keep an open mind and focus on the benefits and gives it enough time.

Good luck!

Mary

faestion1 <neichan22

Fri, Nov 27, 2009 5:13 pm

how to get over the fat hurdle?

Hello all,

i've been diabetic for 20 years now. Recently read the China Study, So i've been trying to change my lifestyle. For many years I was hearing about the atkins Diet being the one to try, then the Zone...never heard about vegan diets. At least not in a good way. Just that they didn't have enough protein and anyone following them would get sick.

Then I read the China Study. Interesting. To say the least.

I do have a problem with a vegan diet tho. I only tolerate small amounts of soy, and no nuts. I can eat white rice but brown makes my stomach hurt. I have problems with salt and too much garlic Can't eat cilantro, so most of the Esselstyn recipes are out.

Any body have any easy recipes? Any encouragement to offer? Seems that a good number of people move to the diet for health reasons. How do you stay motivated?

Rene

Even with all of the items, you find to be problematic, there is still lots to eat as a vegan. Check out the fatfreevegan.com site, the Neal Barnard site PCRM.com, and McDougall.com. There are good recipes at all of these. Also check Karina's Kitchen blog for vegan recipes. She does not do soy either.If you can eat pasta and are not gluten intolerant, try the whole wheat flour pastas, oat groats, red or gold wheat groats, couscous, buckwheat, millet is wonderful, and of course, red or white quinoa. If you can tolerate legumes, go for lentils, all kinds of beans - best of organic dried or canned. Make big salads with a grain and a legume sprinkled on top. Slowly start

acquiring favorite recipes that you can fall back on and you are on your way.Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Fri, 11/27/09, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:Alice Leonard <aliceRe: how to get over the fat hurdle? Date: Friday, November 27, 2009, 6:53 PM

Hi ReneYou can do it!Yes, you will have to adjust recipes to make them suit your requirements, but that's very achievable. My husband Billy can't have any oil, no nuts, no tofu, no avocado etc etc and we manage to eat very well! (We're vegan for ethical reasons but love the health benefits too!)You might like to try asafoetida (an Indian spice, also known as hing) as a garlic replacer - it's supposed to help with digestion, too. If you can't eat brown rice, then eat white rice - but do try other whole grains, too - have you had quinoa?

Delicious!Best wishesAliceOn 28/11/2009, at 1:13 PM, faestion1 wrote:Hello all,i've been diabetic for 20 years now. Recently read the China Study, So i've been trying to change my lifestyle. For many years I was hearing about the atkins Diet being the one to try, then the Zone...never heard about vegan diets. At least not in a good way. Just that they didn't have enough protein and anyone following them would get sick. Then I read the China Study. Interesting. To say the least. I do have a problem with a vegan diet tho. I only tolerate small amounts of soy, and no nuts. I can eat white rice but brown makes my stomach hurt. I have problems with salt and too much garlic Can't eat cilantro, so most of the Esselstyn recipes are out. Any body have any easy recipes? Any encouragement to offer? Seems that a good number of people move to the diet for health reasons. How do you stay motivated?Rene

Essy's diet does not require cilantro. Most foods can be made without oil. For example, sweet potatoes, split pea soup, beans and salsa with baked, no added fat corn chips, and lots of kale or other veggies, like green beans or your favorite veggies.

Maureen

Well, for breakfast every day he has hot cereal with fresh fruit. For lunch he has a sandwich filled with leafy greens (personally, I prefer my lunch salad which is just a big mixture of raw veges chopped fine, either with a squeeze of orange or lemon juice and some soya sauce, sometimes a dressing made with tahini thinned with water). For dinner we have something different every night. Last night we had baked sweet potatoes filled with chickpeas cooked in tomato (the chickpeas were leftovers from the previous night's dinner). Tonight we're having pearl barley and a vege curry.Happy to answer questions! On 28/11/2009, at 4:27 PM, maureen smith wrote: Alice, Since you said your husband "can't have any oil, no nuts, no tofu, no avocado etc" and is vegan, what does he eat for example? Thank you. Maureen

Hello Rene, and Welcome to the group!

Another high-protein food to try is Seitan or " Wheat Meat " .

Made from vital wheat gluten flour, it is pure protein. Use it like " beef " ....sliced with gravy and mashed potatoes, cubed with  veggies and potato chunks like a stew, smaller pieces in stir-fry, and so on.

My granddaughters absolutely love this. I introduced them to this many years ago when " my " food sounded better with funny names. Even now that they are 10 and 8, we still call them " Monkey Fingers " (I started serving them in strips with gravy).

Ready-made, it sells for about $4-5 a pound container. I buy the flour at Whole Foods for about $3.20/pound and make my own, then freeze in the cooking broth.  Much cheaper and makes a lot!

Check the files for more info, and there are books out with recipes and how-to make.

Also, as far as the protein issue goes, I think it is Dr. Barnard (and others) who say vegetarians don't need as much protein as others as our bodies utilize it better. 

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM, faestion1 <neichan22 wrote:

Hello all,i've been diabetic for 20 years now. Recently read the China Study, So i've been trying to change my lifestyle. For many years I was hearing about the atkins Diet being the one to try, then the Zone...never heard about vegan diets. At least not in a good way. Just that they didn't have enough protein and anyone following them would get sick.

Then I read the China Study. Interesting. To say the least. I do have a problem with a vegan diet tho. I only tolerate small amounts of soy, and no nuts. I can eat white rice but brown makes my stomach hurt. I have problems with salt and too much garlic Can't eat cilantro, so most of the Esselstyn recipes are out.

Any body have any easy recipes? Any encouragement to offer? Seems that a good number of people move to the diet for health reasons. How do you stay motivated?Rene

Tom Fronczak, LICSW wrote:

> I would love a resource/brand of a no added fat corn chip. I have not

> been able to find any and do enjoy them with salsa. So you have a

> resource to suggest? Thanks

There are a few brands of these in my grocery store, and I'll list them

after I go shopping tomorrow, but they're really easy to make yourself.

Just moisten some corn tortillas, cut them into wedges, toss them on a

baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and/or spices, and bake until starting

to brown.

Serene

guiltless gourmet corn chips at health food store or amazon.com watch out, some have oil

maureen

"Tom Fronczak, LICSW" <TJFronczak Sent: Sat, November 28, 2009 8:48:51 AM Re: how to get over the fat hurdle?

I would love a resource/brand of a no added fat corn chip. I have not been able to find any and do enjoy them with salsa.So you have a resource to suggest?ThanksTom

Tom,Carol had a great suggestion the other day. She said that she cuts up tortilla & pita bread and dries it on the food dehydrator trays. I tried it this week & it works great! I cut up corn tortillas into little triangles & dried them on the trays for about 2 hours. They turned out very crispy & good.Yesterday I sprayed two corn tortilla chips with cooking spray & then sprinkled chili powder over them. I cut those into strips & dried them for about 3 hours. (I went shopping & they dried longer than the first batch. These were really crispy & good.)I plan on trying some flour tortillas this afternoon.Rhoda Jayne --- On Sat, 11/28/09, Tom Fronczak, LICSW <TJFronczak wrote:Tom Fronczak, LICSW <TJFronczak Re: how to get over the fat hurdle? Date: Saturday, November 28, 2009, 10:48 AM

I would love a resource/brand of a no added fat corn chip. I have not been able to find any and do enjoy them with salsa.

So you have a resource to suggest?

Thanks

Tom

Great, Alice, sounds like you two are off to a great start. Good for you.

Those Texas firemen of Engine 2 enjoy spicier foods. It works for my family,

but I see what you mean.

As you explore Susan's website and read the books by Neal Barnard, Dean Ornish,

John McDougall, and Joel Fuhrman, you'll have plenty of new tasty recipes to

explore.

Susan has both a McDougall and an Eat to Live/ Fuhrman section of recipes;

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/

Teresa M.

I buy locally made corn tortillas made by La Perla in Minneapolis. I can buy same day fresh at my co-op, Mississippi Market. I take my pizza cutter and cut a couple at a time into pizza-like triangles, about 6 pieces per tortilla. I lay on baking sheet in single layer. I spritz with water (Pampered Chef has a great hand pump air spritzer) and sometimes sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 350F until crispy. This keeps from adding additional fat.

-

Tom Fronczak, LICSW

Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:48 AM

Re: how to get over the fat hurdle?

I would love a resource/brand of a no added fat corn chip. I have not been able to find any and do enjoy them with salsa.So you have a resource to suggest?ThanksTom

Do you spritz with water just to make the seasoning stick, or does it serve some other purpose? On 29/11/2009, at 9:30 AM, Elizabeth Husberg wrote:I buy locally made corn tortillas made by La Perla in Minneapolis. I can buy same day fresh at my co-op, Mississippi Market. I take my pizza cutter and cut a couple at a time into pizza-like triangles, about 6 pieces per tortilla. I lay on baking sheet in single layer. I spritz with water (Pampered Chef has a great hand pump air spritzer) and sometimes sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 350F until crispy. This keeps from adding additional fat.-

Alice Leonard wrote:

> Do you spritz with water just to make the seasoning stick, or does it

> serve some other purpose?

Just to make the seasoning stick. It works fine without the water, but I

really like salt on tortilla chips.

Serene

Just like Serene said.

Elizabeth

-

Serene Vannoy

Saturday, November 28, 2009 2:54 PM

Re: Re: how to get over the fat hurdle?

Alice Leonard wrote:> Do you spritz with water just to make the seasoning stick, or does it> serve some other purpose?Just to make the seasoning stick. It works fine without the water, but I really like salt on tortilla chips.Serene