IndiaDivine.org

Buckwheat (ick)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh, I know what you mean! I once had buckwheat pancakes!! I thought oh, wow, if it's in a pancake, it can't be bad!! OMG, I couldn't eat it, way too strong!! I just don't think it's my kind of grain......LOL!

~Anna

In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:06:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, kristin.l.mcintire writes:

Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with "bu" don't think you can just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with bulgur!Anyone else have a story about an ingredient gone wrong?

Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with " bu " don't think you can just

interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan Planet

called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new bag of

buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change from one

whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and well, yuck. I

covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and my husband said

once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I know is the rest of the

cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially full bag of uncooked

buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with bulgur!

Anyone else have a story about an ingredient gone wrong?

Can't think of any particular instances right now, but things go wrong all the time in cooking, it's just part of the game!I'm really sad to hear that you chucked the buckwheat out. On 10/12/2009, at 4:48 PM, Kristin wrote: Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with "bu" don't think you can just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with bulgur! Anyone else have a story about an ingredient gone wrong?

I don't use measurements here, just make it. I make the buckwheat like a pilaf, saute onions, celery, peppers, then add the buckwheat and water and cook.. When it is done, I add diced tomatoes and cooked

bow tie pasta . Herbs I use are fairly heavy. I like savory herbs with this dish, or you could go with basil and oregano, etc.. I grew up eating this during the winter.

DM

In a message dated 12/10/2009 11:35:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keda.maru writes:

Olwen,

What's your favorite buckwheat recipe?

-KedaSent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwen (AT) (DOT) ca> wrote:

I love buckwheat!

Olwen )O(--- On Thu, 12/10/09, annab9 <annab9 wrote:

annab9 <annab9Re: Buckwheat (ick) Received: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 12:12 AM

Oh, I know what you mean! I once had buckwheat pancakes!! I thought oh, wow, if it's in a pancake, it can't be bad!! OMG, I couldn't eat it, way too strong!! I just don't think it's my kind of grain......LOL!

~Anna

In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:06:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, kristin.l.mcintire (AT) jci (DOT) com writes:

Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with "bu" don't think you can just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with bulgur!Anyone else have a story about an ingredient gone wrong?

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!

OK, I'll share mine....not quite the same idea as substituting for a known ingredient, but....

One evening I got a craving for cinnamon toast. I toasted and buttered (ah, margarine-d) the bread, reached for the familar yellow box of confectioner's sugar and sprinkled a coating on, and topped with cinnamon.

Broiled the topping briefly, then eagerly bit into a piece of toast....and got a mouthful of the other familar yellow box contents, cornstarch! YUCK!!!!

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Kristin <kristin.l.mcintire wrote:

Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with " bu " don't think you can just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with bulgur!

I love buckwheat!

annab9 <annab9Re: Buckwheat (ick) Received: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 12:12 AM

~Anna

In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:06:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, kristin.l.mcintire writes:

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!

Olwen,What's your favorite buckwheat recipe?-KedaSent from my iPhoneOn Dec 10, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwen wrote:

I love buckwheat!

~Anna

In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:06:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, kristin.l.mcintire (AT) jci (DOT) com writes:

I think the secret to cooking buckwheat to its potential is not allowing it to burst and go to mush.Conventional buckwheat cooking calls for mixing the uncooked grain with egg or egg white to keep the grains separated during cooking and probably keeping the grains from going to mush too soon. Do you have a vegan ingredient you use - that will do the same thing?Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Teddyberen <Teddyberen wrote:Teddyberen <TeddyberenRe: Buckwheat (ick) Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 8:41 AM

I don't use measurements here, just make it. I make the buckwheat like a pilaf, saute onions, celery, peppers, then add the buckwheat and water and cook.. When it is done, I add diced tomatoes and cooked

bow tie pasta . Herbs I use are fairly heavy. I like savory herbs with this dish, or you could go with basil and oregano, etc.. I grew up eating this during the winter.

DM

In a message dated 12/10/2009 11:35:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keda.maru (AT) gmail (DOT) com writes:

Olwen,

-KedaSent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwen (AT) (DOT) ca> wrote:

I love buckwheat!

annab9 <annab9Re: Buckwheat (ick)Received: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 12:12 AM

~Anna

I often toast the buckwheat grains for a few minutes before adding water, that slows down their tendency to porridge-y-ness! Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardAnd now, a blog: www.veganzestforlife.blogspot.comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 11/12/2009, at 1:09 PM, Patricia A Squyres wrote:I think the secret to cooking buckwheat to its potential is not allowing it to burst and go to mush.Conventional buckwheat cooking calls for mixing the uncooked grain with egg or egg white to keep the grains separated during cooking and probably keeping the grains from going to mush too soon. Do you have a vegan ingredient you use - that will do the same thing?

thanks I will try the toasting - I tried to use EnerG replacer mixed with water the last time I cooked it but it didnt allow for a successful separation of grain. Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:Alice Leonard <aliceRe: Buckwheat (ick) Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 4:15 PM

I often toast the buckwheat grains for a few minutes before adding water, that slows down their tendency to porridge-y-ness! Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking

classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardAnd now, a blog: www.veganzestforlif e.blogspot. comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 11/12/2009, at 1:09 PM, Patricia A Squyres wrote:I think the secret to cooking

buckwheat to its potential is not allowing it to burst and go to mush.Conventional buckwheat cooking calls for mixing the uncooked grain with egg or egg white to keep the grains separated during cooking and probably keeping the grains from going to mush too soon. Do you have a vegan ingredient you use - that will do the same thing?

Growing up in a Russian household, I had buckwheat pancakes regularly. With

melted butter and sour cream they are awesome! Of course, I don't have the sour

cream or butter any more but I still enjoy the pancakes. My mother also used to

pan fry the buckwheat (she called it kasha) and that stuff was the worse

smelling stuff I have ever smelled in my life. It was the only time the smell

of something cooking made me nauseous. I never ate it and I only remember her

making it twice. Evidently my Dad didn't care for it either. lol

Carol in Mich

, annab9 wrote:

>

> Oh, I know what you mean! I once had buckwheat pancakes!! I thought oh,

> wow, if it's in a pancake, it can't be bad!! OMG, I couldn't eat it, way

> too strong!! I just don't think it's my kind of grain......LOL!

> ~Anna

>

>

> In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:06:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

> kristin.l.mcintire writes:

>

>

>

>

> Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with " bu " don't think you can

> just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan

> Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new

> bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change

> from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and

> well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and

> my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I

> know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the

partially

> full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with

> bulgur!

>

> Anyone else have a story about an ingredient gone wrong?

>

Buckwheat is NOT a bad grain.  It once was used widely in European cooking.  Sorry to see it get such a bad rap.On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Kristin <kristin.l.mcintire wrote:

Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with " bu " don't think you can just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with bulgur!

OHHH!!!

Kasha and Bowties....used to have it with brisket and gravy....ohhhhh! Nice memory....

I don't do the brisket and gravy anymore, but will occasionally make it for myself....sigh...just doesn't quite taste the same anymore...

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM, carold <auntyfaye wrote:

Growing up in a Russian household, I had buckwheat pancakes regularly. With melted butter and sour cream they are awesome! Of course, I don't have the sour cream or butter any more but I still enjoy the pancakes. My mother also used to pan fry the buckwheat (she called it kasha) and that stuff was the worse smelling stuff I have ever smelled in my life. It was the only time the smell of something cooking made me nauseous. I never ate it and I only remember her making it twice. Evidently my Dad didn't care for it either. lol

Carol in Mich , annab9 wrote:>> Oh, I know what you mean! I once had buckwheat pancakes!! I thought oh,

> wow, if it's in a pancake, it can't be bad!! OMG, I couldn't eat it, way > too strong!! I just don't think it's my kind of grain......LOL!> ~Anna> > > In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:06:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

> kristin.l.mcintire writes:> > > > > Just because bulgur and buckwheat both begin with " bu " don't think you can > just interchange one grain for another. A veggie burger recipe from Vegan

> Planet called for bulger and rice; I didn't have any bulger, but I had a new > bag of buckwheat (never tried) so thought, what the heck - a simple change > from one whole grain to another. Boy was that buckwheat oh so strong and

> well, yuck. I covered my burger with spicy salsa (a girl's got to eat), and > my husband said once you got used to the flavor it wasn't so bad. All I > know is the rest of the cooked buckwheat is in the trash next to the partially

> full bag of uncooked buckwheat. I'll have to try that recipe again with > bulgur!> > Anyone else have a story about an ingredient gone wrong?>

Buckwheat pancakes - but I don't have a recipe for them :)

Regards,

Olwen )O(--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Keda Maru <keda.maru wrote:

Keda Maru <keda.maruRe: Buckwheat (ick) Received: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:34 AM

Olwen,

-KedaSent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwen wrote:

I love buckwheat!

annab9 <annab9Re: Buckwheat (ick)Received: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 12:12 AM

~Anna

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Buckwheat pancakes are my favorite too. I just sub buckwheat flour for half (or

more) of the wheat flour. The pancakes are delicious with some raspberry

preserves or apple butter.

, Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwen

wrote:

>

> Buckwheat pancakes - but I don't have a recipe for them :)

> �

> Regards,

> Olwen )O(

>

> --- On Thu, 12/10/09, Keda Maru <keda.maru wrote:

>

> Olwen,

>

> What's your favorite buckwheat recipe?

>

> -Keda