IndiaDivine.org

RE: etiquette

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome, Mary! Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardAnd now, a blog: www.veganzestforlife.blogspot.comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 6/01/2010, at 4:19 AM, Mary Taylor wrote:I have lucked out. My family (aunt, cousins, etc)- all accept that I am weird anyway :). When we get together for holiday meals, in the house, there are two people with Celiac disease, 3 muslims who eat no pork, my two autistic sons, one of whom will eat nothing that is green, the other who puts ranch dressing on everything he eats, my partner, who is an omnivore, but will eat what I make as long as she can get meat occasionally. There are also two people who have had gastric bypass. So, each family brings things that someone in their family can/will eat, and we do potlucks, makes life much easier. Its also gotten easier since my cousins have grown up and there is less of "I'm not going to eat THAT!". And, my kids have to at least try stuff (even green things).We recently celebrated my aunts 80th bday at a restaurant. The poor waiter, who was wonderful, learned ALOT that night.Going to my partners family's house is a bit different, but we don't have meals there very often, and if we do, I just eat salad. They know I don't eat meat and I just leave it at that. They are omnivores, hunters, etc. I'm just happy my 'in-laws' like me.I live in rural Oklahoma, and am new to the list.

Momcat wrote:

> My thoughts...? HOW RUDE!!!!!

>

> If you went to a Muslim friend's home, would you bring a pork dish?

> If you went to a Jewish friend's home who kept Kosher, would you

> bring non-Kosher food?

>

> You don't bring a meat/fish dish to a Vegetarian's home.

I think it depends on the vegetarian. People are welcome to bring meat

to my house, and to cook/eat it here. I don't let people tell me what to

eat, and I don't tell other people what to eat.

Serene

thanks for the welcome(s).I have seen King Corn. Oh, I don't mind that they hunt. It just grosses me out is all.

:)

Mary

-

maureen smith

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:57 AM

Re: Re: etiquette

Hi Mary, welcome to the fat free vegan list.

I think hunting is more compassionate than slaughterhouses because the animal probably lived a good life and had a death that could be less traumatic than the howling and fear of watching other animals die before you at the slaughterhouse. My son hunts moose rarely when he visits a friend in another state and it is gross, but I would prefer that to unlimted grocery store meat pumped full of hormones and cows standing in their own feces and urine all day long with foot diseases. The corn they feed the cows fattens them up, but causes inflamation, stomach ulcers and overall body problems and probably pain compared to the green grass they naturally eat in the wild. I think the corn feed is less nutritious cattle food than green grass also. maybe it would be like our kids eating popcorn all day without a green salad.

There is a good DVD I got at the library called King Corn. This is about corn and how it affects us all in so many ways we are unaware of, including the cattle industry. I heard to even keep my dogs away from corn and use brown rice based foods instead or they will run hot whatever that is.

I did not think you were judging your in laws by any means. Just wanted people to know that hunters are not horrible people. PETA even has a video with hunters on it. The hunter lived at a PETA home for a week or two. They took him to a cattle ranch and showed him what happens. He fed a baby cow a bottle. He said he would still hunt, but would not beef from the store any longer when he realized how cruel the beef industry is to cattle. He seemed deeply saddened by the severe cruelty in the cattle industry.

Again, welcome to our great group.

Maureen

Maureen,Not everyone on this message board is Vegan purely for health reasons. Some of us are a combination of health and animal rights. Though I can see what you are trying to say, hunting and killing an innocent creature is in no way "compassionate". It may not be as bad as a slaughterhouse, but it is still taking a life. Your son may be a very nice person, but he is participating in a "sport" that many of us find horrible and inhumane. I kindly ask that this off topic discussion ends here. This is a message board for fat free vegan recipes and cooking questions, not debating animal rights. I would hate to see us turn against each other on this board, so please end it here.Victoriamaureen smith <maureensgardengrotto Sent: Tue, January 5, 2010 9:57:12 AMRe: Re: etiquette

Hi Mary, welcome to the fat free vegan list.

I think hunting is more compassionate than slaughterhouses because the animal probably lived a good life and had a death that could be less traumatic than the howling and fear of watching other animals die before you at the slaughterhouse. My son hunts moose rarely when he visits a friend in another state and it is gross, but I would prefer that to unlimted grocery store meat pumped full of hormones and cows standing in their own feces and urine all day long with foot diseases. The corn they feed the cows fattens them up, but causes inflamation, stomach ulcers and overall body problems and probably pain compared to the green grass they naturally eat in the wild. I think the corn feed is less nutritious cattle food than green grass also. maybe it would be like our kids eating popcorn all day without a green salad.

There is a good DVD I got at the library called King Corn. This is about corn and how it affects us all in so many ways we are unaware of, including the cattle industry. I heard to even keep my dogs away from corn and use brown rice based foods instead or they will run hot whatever that is.

I did not think you were judging your in laws by any means. Just wanted people to know that hunters are not horrible people. PETA even has a video with hunters on it. The hunter lived at a PETA home for a week or two. They took him to a cattle ranch and showed him what happens. He fed a baby cow a bottle. He said he would still hunt, but would not beef from the store any longer when he realized how cruel the beef industry is to cattle. He seemed deeply saddened by the severe cruelty in the cattle industry.

Again, welcome to our great group.

Maureen

Mary Taylor <marywheezer@ sbcglobal. net>Tue, January 5, 2010 7:19:55 AMRe: Re: etiquette

I have lucked out. My family (aunt, cousins, etc)- all accept that I am weird anyway :). When we get together for holiday meals, in the house, there are two people with Celiac disease, 3 muslims who eat no pork, my two autistic sons, one of whom will eat nothing that is green, the other who puts ranch dressing on everything he eats, my partner, who is an omnivore, but will eat what I make as long as she can get meat occasionally. There are also two people who have had gastric bypass. So, each family brings things that someone in their family can/will eat, and we do potlucks, makes life much easier. Its also gotten easier since my cousins have grown up and there is less of "I'm not going to eat THAT!". And, my kids have to at least try stuff (even green things).We recently celebrated my aunts 80th bday at a restaurant. The poor waiter, who was wonderful, learned ALOT that night.Going to my partners

family's house is a bit different, but we don't have meals there very often, and if we do, I just eat salad. They know I don't eat meat and I just leave it at that. They are omnivores, hunters, etc. I'm just happy my 'in-laws' like me.I live in rural Oklahoma, and am new to the list.Mary- "ttbeachbum" <ttbeachbum ><>Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:51 AM Re: etiquette>I can truly relate. My own parents (who acknowledge that I have been >vegan/vegetarian all my life) will not prepare any meals that I would eat >nor do any dishes

that I

bring have a place on their buffet. My mother in >law does try. I have only one friend who will make something for me to eat >when invited to his house party. Other "friends" advise if I want to eat, >to bring something. Most times, it is the first dish to be gone. The >"new" vegetarian in the group is a hearty meat eater. I am located on Long >Island and feel like only vegan/vegetarian.>> , "J. Kavanagh" <j_kavanagh@ ...> > wrote:>>>> Sorry all about the typo's - I am normally very careful. I guess I am >> quite>> upset and not proof reading as I should be.>>>> Jeanette>>>>>>>> >> []>> On Behalf Of J. Kavanagh>> Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:26 AM>> >> RE: etiquette>>>>>>>>>>>> Thank you Faith, your comments mean help me feel a great deal better.>> Because in addition to feeling bad, she started me thinking if something >> was>> wrong with me that I really did not deserve someone

to bother!>>>>>>>> Oh the other this too, is another unfriend (someone that I thought was a>> friend before that I went out of my way to help because I thought that >> was>> what friends did) left me a nasty phone message that "I was giving up on >> my>> friends- that I was terrible"!>>>>>>>> Jeanette>>>>>>>> >> []>> On Behalf Of Faith Stencel>> Monday, January 04, 2010 9:18 PM>> >> Re: etiquette>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm blessed to have awesome friends who always make sure I have something >> to>> eat. I usually will take a dish with me, but the thought of being >> invited>> to someone's party who knows I'm vegan and can't be bothered to have at>> least one thing there I can eat is just repellent.>>>>>>>> just my two cents' worth.>>>>>>>> Faith>>>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM, J. Kavanagh <j_kavanagh@ ...> wrote:>>>>>>>> I was just wondering about getting invited for holiday parties. I

>> generally>> bring my own food to be safe. However, I was invited to someone's party ->> who I thought was my friend. She asked me to bring a salad, because I >> always>> make them so "yummie" - she went on to say that someone was bringing>> macaroni and cheese and another person that I had thought was a friend >> was>> making a lasagna.and she went on to say "there won't be anything you can>> eat". I don't know why, it just hit me. I did not think that what friends >> do>> to friends. Every year she does this - offering nothing for me to eat. I>> find this very puzzling.>>>> Wikipedia states "Friendship is the cooperative and supportive >> relationship>> between people. >> <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Value_(personal_ and_

cultural) >>> Value ..the tendency to desire

what is>> <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Altruism> best for the other .">>>> We ended up talking as I did not go. She thinks that I should have to >> bring>> my own food and felt no obligation to provide anything I could enjoy.>>>> I don't feel that a dairy free diet is all that unusual or hard to>> accommodate. If I am being invited to a long time "friends" house for>> dinner, is it unreasonable to expect something to eat?>>>> How are you treated by "friends"?>>>> Jeanette>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- >> "Let us go forward into daylight, basking in the joy Christ radiates. May >> we>> leave our failures behind, accepting

instead the Savior's gifts--healing>> from our

disappointments, refinement through our experiences, and His>> ultimate commendation, 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant' >> (Matthew>> 25:21)." --Kimberly Webb, Finding Daylight.>>>> Visit my blog at http://chauceriangi rl.wordpress. com/>>>>>>> ------------ --------- --------- ------>> Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreev egan.com . > Links>>>

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=vegan & country=us & locationPickerRef=0 & dbCo=us & dbOutsideUsLink= & dbZip=08609 & zip=08609 & op=search & resetgeo=true & style= & radius=50if the link doesn't work, go to meetup.com, and plug in "vegan" and your zip code. From: stephaniefaith94Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 03:01:19 -0800Re: Re: etiquette

Does anyone know if there is a. Vegan meetup group in new jersey ? On Jan 6, 2010, at 11:30 AM, Jennifer Parrucci <poegurl22 > wrote:

Just wanted to chime in for the person that said they were from Long Island, there is a Long Island Vegan Meetup Group http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Long-Island/JenniferNYC

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.

Loved your response edgegardener- a positive approach to problem solving is beautiful.e.--- On Tue, 1/5/10, lcc <edgegardener wrote:lcc <edgegardenerRe: etiquette Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 3:44 PMHi JeannetteWe also must consider what this does to our friends. They value our friendship enough to invite us , yet they must scramble around not knowing what to cook for a vegan guest.Try to look for an opportunity of grace and inclusiveness. Talk to her again, ask her the menu, and offer to bring a complimentary "side dish" that would go with the meal, omething

the non vegans would enjoy and offer to do the salad, and enjoy whatever from the table that I can ear. Or bring a good loaf of bread, Enjoy what you can eat, and the company, cheerfully answer questions and provide a recipe if asked. This time of year particularly, people are looking for a better way to eat. You could be the life of the party!clear skies and apple pies!lcc

Thank you, Elaine. Apologies for not proofreading before hitting the

send button.

lc carol

Elaine Von Hahn wrote:

>

>

> Loved your response edgegardener- a positive approach to problem

> solving is beautiful.e.

>

> --- On *Tue, 1/5/10, lcc /<edgegardener/* wrote:

>

>

> lcc <edgegardener

> Re: etiquette

>

> Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 3:44 PM

>

> Hi Jeannette

>

> We also must consider what this does to our friends. They value our

> friendship enough to invite us , yet they must scramble around not

> knowing what to cook for a vegan guest.

> Try to look for an opportunity of grace and inclusiveness. Talk to her

> again, ask her the menu, and offer to bring a complimentary " side dish "

> that would go with the meal, omething the non vegans would enjoy

> and offer to do the salad, and enjoy whatever from the table that I

> can ear. Or bring a good loaf of bread,

> Enjoy what you can eat, and the company, cheerfully answer

> questions

> and provide a recipe if asked. This time of year particularly, people

> are looking for a better way to eat. You could be the life of the party!

> clear skies and apple pies!

> lcc

>

>