IndiaDivine.org

TOFUTTI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I love it! I think it tastes way better than regular cream cheese! I honestly don't see any difference in taste excepting it's fresher tasting

I also love their sour cream...........

----------<<------<<@

*the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return*

Thank you very much for your reply. I am new at being vegan, I have been vegetarian for awhile and I am tiring to loose 20 lbs and get healther. I like talking to people that have used and tried things so not to waste money on things that taste terrible. Have you tired the cheese blocks? what do you think about them?Thanks againEdith--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Omber Rose <kristine_foster2000 wrote:Omber Rose <kristine_foster2000 TOFUTTI Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 2:06 PM

I love it! I think it tastes way better than regular cream cheese! I honestly don't see any difference in taste excepting it's fresher tasting

I also love their sour cream....... ....

----------<<------<<@

*the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return*

Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of oil, and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself. That's just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have hydrogenated oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some recipes for a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I could post if you would like.  They are all whole food plant based and contain no oils.  My kids love them.  Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're buying because they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't hydrogenated.

I would like to see your recipes for cheese sauce and sliceable cheese.

Thanks !

Jennifer

Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 11:04:54 AMRe: TOFUTTI

Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of oil, and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself. That's just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have hydrogenated oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some recipes for a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I could post if you would like. They are all whole food plant based and contain no oils. My kids love them. Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're buying because they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't hydrogenated.

Thanks for the info. I would love the recipe for cheese sauce. I guess it would be best to stay away from cheese. I am just used to using it to help pull a plate of veggies and noodles together for lack of knowing something else to put over it. Now is the time to learn new things.Thanks againEdith--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:Heidi Crawford <heidicrawfordRe: TOFUTTI Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 4:04 PM

Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of oil, and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself. That's just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have hydrogenated oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some recipes for a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I could post if you would like. They are all whole food plant based and contain no oils. My kids love them. Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're buying because they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't hydrogenated.

The first recipe is mine and the second was one a friend made up and my husband severely altered.  Enjoy!

Cashew Cheese Sauce

This is good on pasta, as a mac and cheese dish, on pizza, or over veggies like broccoli and cauliflower.  Enjoy!1 cup of raw cashews1 1/2 cups of water

1 TBSP lemon juice2 tsp onion powder1 tsp garlic powder1/4 cup of pimientos

1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (optional)1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend.  Heat and serve!You can add more or less water if you don’t like how thick/thin it is.  I also like to add a cup of spinach to get some extra greens in the girls.  My 5-year-old says it tastes even better when I do. 

Myung's slicing cheese

This is a recipe taken from my husband’s blog for the cheese we make all the time.  It is great in grilled cheese or by itself.

Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.1 1/2 C Cashews2 1/2 t Sea Salt1/2 C Nutritional Yeast

2 t Onion Powder1/2 t Garlic Powder2 t Paprika5 T Lemon Juice1/2 C Any cooked grain (millet, brown rice, etc.)

1 C Red Roasted Peppers (Pimientos) – equivalent of 8 ounces3 T Agar Agar Powder (this is 9 T Agar Agar flakes)

Soak Agar Agar in 2 C water for at least 30 minutes.Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes and then rinse/drain.

Blend all ingredients in a vita-mix, except for the agar agar, with 1 C of water. Add to vita-mix in order listed.

Boil the agar agar and the water it has been soaking in for 5 minutes or a little less.

Add agar agar to the vita-mix and mix well.Pour into mold, or a square baking dish. Allow to cool in the fridge.

Tips:Allow to cool without a lid on, in the fridge. This helps more moisture escape the cheese and it becomes even more solid.

Be careful with the exact measurement of the agar agar.This is great as a slicing cheese, but also really good fresh, and/or melted with salsa. Just don’t heat it up too much and ruin the good fats of the nuts. It makes AMAZING dips!

Some people like it with less pimiento in it – try less sometime.

When my friends say - "I really miss the cheese" or "I can't give up cheese", I remind them that there is puss and blood in there, along with tons of fat, why would you want or miss that??Katts Smith <kattssmith Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 8:17:01 AMRe:

TOFUTTI

Thanks for the info. I would love the recipe for cheese sauce. I guess it would be best to stay away from cheese. I am just used to using it to help pull a plate of veggies and noodles together for lack of knowing something else to put over it. Now is the time to learn new things.Thanks againEdith--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:Heidi Crawford <heidicrawfordRe:

TOFUTTI Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 4:04 PM

I don't think my blender would blend the cashews up. What is the consistency of

the cheese sauce suppose to be like? Do you have any suggestions on what type of

blender to use? Just curious.

I am also looking for a food processor recommendation in order to make my own

peanut butter too...any suggestions? I had one that was just not that powerful

in order to chop and blend it.

suggestions welcomed....

, spence <spenc5 wrote:

>

> When my friends say - " I really miss the cheese " or " I can't give up cheese " ,

I remind them that there is puss and blood in there, along with tons of fat, why

would you want or miss that??

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> Katts Smith <kattssmith

>

> Mon, February 8, 2010 8:17:01 AM

> Re: TOFUTTI

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for the info. I would love the recipe for cheese sauce. I guess it

would be best to stay away from cheese. I am just used to using it to help pull

a plate of veggies and noodles together for lack of knowing something else to

put over it. Now is the time to learn new things.

>

> Thanks again

> Edith

>

> --- On Mon, 2/8/10, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

>

>

> >Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford

> >Re: TOFUTTI

> >

> >Monday, February 8, 2010, 4:04 PM

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of

oil, and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself.

That's just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have

hydrogenated oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some

recipes for a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I

could post if you would like. They are all whole food plant based and contain

no oils. My kids love them. Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're

buying because they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't hydrogenated.

> >

>

Try soaking the cashews first before trying to run them in the blender. You can also try using cashew pieces rather than whole cashews. I have a Vitamix, which can handle them without soaking first, but I also own a less powerful blender as well, and It can handle cashews after they've been soaked. I think it's a Cuisinart (got it as a gift from my aunt a few years ago). As for food processors, I like the Hamilton Beach one I have-works great:)I have been vegan since 1995 (and veg before that since 1987) and I definitely don't miss real cheese or meat or any of that stuff. Pasteurization of dairy products will kill any bacteria in there, but it doesn't get rid of hormones or steroids or pus and blood particles. If you look at a sample under the microscope with a high enough resolution, you can see all that. I once told a lacto-vegetarian about the blood & pus

thing and a week later he told me it grossed him out so much that he became vegan. On Feb 8, 2010, at 3:54 PM, "sprightcat" <sprightcat wrote:

I don't think my blender would blend the cashews up. What is the consistency of the cheese sauce suppose to be like? Do you have any suggestions on what type of blender to use? Just curious.

I am also looking for a food processor recommendation in order to make my own peanut butter too...any suggestions? I had one that was just not that powerful in order to chop and blend it.

suggestions welcomed....

, spence <spenc5 wrote:

>

> When my friends say - "I really miss the cheese" or "I can't give up cheese", I remind them that there is puss and blood in there, along with tons of fat, why would you want or miss that??

>

>

>

>

> Katts Smith <kattssmith

>

> Mon, February 8, 2010 8:17:01 AM

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for the info. I would love the recipe for cheese sauce. I guess it would be best to stay away from cheese. I am just used to using it to help pull a plate of veggies and noodles together for lack of knowing something else to put over it. Now is the time to learn new things.

>

> Thanks again

> Edith

>

> --- On Mon, 2/8/10, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

>

>

> >Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford

> >Re: TOFUTTI

> >

> >Monday, February 8, 2010, 4:04 PM

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of oil, and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself. That's just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have hydrogenated oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some recipes for a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I could post if you would like. They are all whole food plant based and contain no oils. My kids love them. Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're buying because they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't hydrogenated.

> >

>

I read somewhere that whole cashews blend better than cashew pieces, because they're not so dried out... but I always use cashew pieces, because of the price!Soaking the cashews in hot water, or even bring them to the boil, helps to soften them for blending, too. On 9/02/2010, at 12:56 PM, Jenn wrote:Try soaking the cashews first before trying to run them in the blender. You can also try using cashew pieces rather than whole cashews. I have a Vitamix, which can handle them without soaking first, but I also own a less powerful blender as well, and It can handle cashews after they've been soaked. I think it's a Cuisinart (got it as a gift from my aunt a few years ago). As for food processors, I like the Hamilton Beach one I have-works great:)

A VitaMix will be the answer to all your whoes! Love it, Love it.sprightcat <sprightcat Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 2:54:43 PM Re: TOFUTTI

I don't think my blender would blend the cashews up. What is the consistency of the cheese sauce suppose to be like? Do you have any suggestions on what type of blender to use? Just curious.I am also looking for a food processor recommendation in order to make my own peanut butter too...any suggestions? I had one that was just not that powerful in order to chop and blend it.suggestions welcomed.... , spence <spenc5 wrote:>> When my friends say - "I really miss the cheese" or "I can't give up cheese", I remind them that there is puss and blood in there, along with tons of fat, why would you want or miss that??> > > > > ________________________________> Katts Smith <kattssmith> > Mon, February 8, 2010 8:17:01 AM> Re: TOFUTTI> > > > > Thanks for the info. I would love the recipe for cheese sauce. I guess it would be best to stay away from cheese. I am just used to using it to help pull a plate of veggies and noodles together for lack of knowing something else to put over it. Now is the time to learn new things.> > Thanks again> Edith> > --- On Mon, 2/8/10, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:> > > >Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford> >Re: TOFUTTI> > > >Monday, February 8, 2010, 4:04 PM> >> >> >>> >> >> >> > >> >> > > >> > > > >Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of oil, and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself. That's just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have hydrogenated oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some recipes for a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I could post if you would like. They are all whole food plant based and contain no oils. My kids love them. Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're buying because they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't

hydrogenated.> >>---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

both of my cashew cheese recipes do fine in a regular blender.  Just blend them for a longer period of time, but of course it won't be quite as smooth as with a vita mix.  If anyone wants to get a vita mix I have a coupon code for free shipping.

PS you can make peanut butter in a vita mix too. :)

This does sound interesting.

, Mustang Sally <memstang68 wrote:

>

> I would like to see your recipes for cheese sauce and sliceable cheese.

>

> Thanks !

>

> Jennifer

>

>

>

>

> Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford

>

> Mon, February 8, 2010 11:04:54 AM

>

>  

> Honestly most cheese substitutes and cream cheese substitutes are full of oil,

and almost as unhealthy for you as eating the cheese/cream cheese itself. That's

just my 2 cents though. The ones that taste the best and don't have hydrogenated

oils are the vegan gourmet/follow your heart brands. I do have some recipes for

a cheese sauce (like for mac and cheese) and sliceable cheese I could post if

you would like.  They are all whole food plant based and contain no oils.  My

kids love them.  Oh and if you do buy tofutti watch what you're buying because

they only have one type of cream cheese that isn't hydrogenated.

>

I made the cheese sauce last night and put over rice pasta. Was pretty bland.No one really cared for it. Needs something.Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 8:40:27 AMRe: TOFUTTI

The first recipe is mine and the second was one a friend made up and my husband severely altered. Enjoy!

Cashew Cheese Sauce

This is good on pasta, as a mac and cheese dish, on pizza, or over veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. Enjoy!1 cup of raw cashews1 1/2 cups of water

1 TBSP lemon juice2 tsp onion powder1 tsp garlic powder1/4 cup of pimientos

1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (optional)1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend. Heat and serve!You can add more or less water if you don’t like how thick/thin it is. I also like to add a cup of spinach to get some extra greens in the girls. My 5-year-old says it tastes even better when I do.

Myung's slicing cheese

This is a recipe taken from my husband’s blog for the cheese we make all the time. It is great in grilled cheese or by itself.

Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.1 1/2 C Cashews2 1/2 t Sea Salt1/2 C Nutritional Yeast

2 t Onion Powder1/2 t Garlic Powder2 t Paprika5 T Lemon Juice1/2 C Any cooked grain (millet, brown rice, etc.)

1 C Red Roasted Peppers (Pimientos) – equivalent of 8 ounces3 T Agar Agar Powder (this is 9 T Agar Agar flakes)

Soak Agar Agar in 2 C water for at least 30 minutes.Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes and then rinse/drain.

Blend all ingredients in a vita-mix, except for the agar agar, with 1 C of water. Add to vita-mix in order listed.

Boil the agar agar and the water it has been soaking in for 5 minutes or a little less.

Add agar agar to the vita-mix and mix well.Pour into mold, or a square baking dish. Allow to cool in the fridge.

Tips:Allow to cool without a lid on, in the fridge. This helps more moisture escape the cheese and it becomes even more solid.

Be careful with the exact measurement of the agar agar.This is great as a slicing cheese, but also really good fresh, and/or melted with salsa. Just don’t heat it up too much and ruin the good fats of the nuts. It makes AMAZING dips!

Some people like it with less pimiento in it – try less sometime.

I like using miso instead of salt in cheese recipes - it adds some of the complexity of flavour you get from dairy cheese. Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.angelfood.co.nzwww.facebook.com/alice.leonardwww.veganzestforlife.blogspot.comDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 10/02/2010, at 8:27 AM, spence wrote:I made the cheese sauce last night and put over rice pasta. Was pretty bland.No one really cared for it. Needs something.

First time posting, I just read the emails!

I do have a recipe for the person that tried the posted cheese sauce though. My

mom adapted this recipe from another recipe she found years ago. It is tried and

true on even he meatiest meat eaters. It is very close to the one posted, so

please try it again with my recipe and see if it fills the " need for something " !

We call it " Ronis " because my brother (now 20) was a baby and couldn't say

macaroni. :)

Roni Sauce

3 cups water

1 cup cashews (I find that I like half sunflower seeds better)

1/3 cup nutritional yeast

1 tsp onion powder

dash garlic powder

1/4 lemon juice

2 tsp salt

ground pepper

Blend in the blender until smooth. You can either bake it like a casserole in

the oven, or just put it on the stop top with your pasta and heat until

thickened.

, spence <spenc5 wrote:

>

> I made the cheese sauce last night and put over rice pasta. Was pretty bland.

> No one really cared for it. Needs something.

>

>

>

>

> Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford

>

> Mon, February 8, 2010 8:40:27 AM

>

>

>

> The first recipe is mine and the second was one a friend made up and my

husband severely altered. Enjoy!

>

> Cashew Cheese Sauce

> This is good on pasta, as a mac and cheese dish, on pizza, or over veggies

like broccoli and cauliflower. Enjoy!

> * 1 cup of raw cashews

> * 1 1/2 cups of water

> * 1 TBSP lemon juice

> * 2 tsp onion powder

> * 1 tsp garlic powder

> * 1/4 cup of pimientos

> * 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (optional)

> * 1 tsp salt

> Put all ingredients in a blender and blend. Heat and serve!

> You can add more or less water if you don’t like how thick/thin it is. I

also like to add a cup of spinach to get some extra greens in the girls. My

5-year-old says it tastes even better when I do.

>

> Myung's slicing cheese

> This is a recipe taken from my husband’s blog for the cheese we make all the

time. It is great in grilled cheese or by itself.

> Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.

> * 1 1/2 C Cashews

> * 2 1/2 t Sea Salt

> * 1/2 C Nutritional Yeast

> * 2 t Onion Powder

> * 1/2 t Garlic Powder

> * 2 t Paprika

> * 5 T Lemon Juice

> * 1/2 C Any cooked grain (millet, brown rice, etc.)

> * 1 C Red Roasted Peppers (Pimientos) †" equivalent of 8 ounces

> * 3 T Agar Agar Powder (this is 9 T Agar Agar flakes)

> Soak Agar Agar in 2 C water for at least 30 minutes.

> Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes and then rinse/drain.

> Blend all ingredients in a vita-mix, except for the agar agar, with 1 C of

water. Add to vita-mix in order listed.

> Boil the agar agar and the water it has been soaking in for 5 minutes or a

little less.

> Add agar agar to the vita-mix and mix well.

> Pour into mold, or a square baking dish. Allow to cool in the fridge.

> Tips:

> * Allow to cool without a lid on, in the fridge. This helps more moisture

escape the cheese and it becomes even more solid.

> * Be careful with the exact measurement of the agar agar.

> * This is great as a slicing cheese, but also really good fresh, and/or

melted with salsa. Just don’t heat it up too much and ruin the good fats of

the nuts. It makes AMAZING dips!

> * Some people like it with less pimiento in it †" try less sometime.

>

I'm surprised you said it was bland. It is the only cheese sauce I've gotten even the pickiest of meat eaters to eat at my house.  My nephews are the biggest critics and they love it! In fact I get requests for the recipe all the time when I take it to potlucks. Are you sure you put in enough pimentos?  the nut yeast adds a lot too.  Maybe try cutting back on the water  a little some like only 1 cup.

I know, I was bummed and hoping it would be a hit.I followed the recipe exactly. It was nice and thick but just bland.Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford Sent: Tue, February 9, 2010 12:46:25 PMRe: Re: TOFUTTI

I'm surprised you said it was bland. It is the only cheese sauce I've gotten even the pickiest of meat eaters to eat at my house. My nephews are the biggest critics and they love it! In fact I get requests for the recipe all the time when I take it to potlucks. Are you sure you put in enough pimentos? the nut yeast adds a lot too. Maybe try cutting back on the water a little some like only 1 cup.

Heidi Crawford wrote:

> I'm surprised you said it was bland. It is the only cheese sauce I've

> gotten even the pickiest of meat eaters to eat at my house. My

> nephews are the biggest critics and they love it! In fact I get

> requests for the recipe all the time when I take it to potlucks. Are

> you sure you put in enough pimentos? the nut yeast adds a lot too.

> Maybe try cutting back on the water a little some like only 1 cup.

There's a post on Susan's blog about how everyone has such different

tastes in vegan cheese sauces. Let me see if I can find it. Yep, here it

is: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/easy-macaroni-and-cheeze.html

Serene

This is my next recipe to practice on. It looks as though it will have more flavor.Serene <serene-lists Sent: Tue, February 9, 2010 12:51:05 PMRe: Re: TOFUTTI

Heidi Crawford wrote:> I'm surprised you said it was bland. It is the only cheese sauce I've> gotten even the pickiest of meat eaters to eat at my house. My> nephews are the biggest critics and they love it! In fact I get> requests for the recipe all the time when I take it to potlucks. Are> you sure you put in enough pimentos? the nut yeast adds a lot too.> Maybe try cutting back on the water a little some like only 1 cup.There's a post on Susan's blog about how everyone has such different tastes in vegan cheese sauces. Let me see if I can find it. Yep, here it is: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/easy-macaroni-and-cheeze.htmlSerene---Check out our recipe

files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

The cheese we use is Roads End powder. We buy it in 1 lb bags in 2 cheese types. its available at edwardandsons.com

-

Heidi Crawford

Monday, February 08, 2010 10:04 AM

Re: TOFUTTI