IndiaDivine.org

Comfort Foods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Very interesting, recipes aimed at you Yanks obviously ( by the ingredients / manufacturers ), why all the faux animal parts? why cant they set an example and use their imagination with beans , lentils and tofu?,I `d hate to think how much these faux products cost, probably more than all the other ingredients put together.But then I am a tight bar steward , so I`ll shut my gob now.

The Valley Vegan............."zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

http://origin.www.vegcooking.com/comfortfoods.asp?int=weekly_enews

Mapping Out the Best Comfort Foods in America

Nearly all American cuisine comes from a melting pot of ethnic recipes infused with regional ingredients and cooking techniques. No matter where you call home, nothing is more comforting than a down-home meal of comfort foods! Ready for a menu that spans the United States? Then help yourself to the best comfort foods from around the country.

New EnglandCovering everything from the wood-frame houses and white church steeples in the quaint towns of Connecticut to the lighthouse-studded, craggy coastline of Maine, New England is home to some of America's most famous historical events. It was here where icons of the American Revolution blazed a trail from colonialism to independence. Another enduring legacy of this area is its top-notch colleges and universities, including Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, and Wesleyan. Known for their signature chowders and corn-based meals, which are a result of early Native American influences, these Yanks know how to cook up some "wicked" good eats. Nothing beats waking up to a heaping stack of Johnny cakes on a crisp, cool morning or warming up with a hot "cupachowda" and blueberry slump—a concoction of hot fruit and dumplings—on a blustery New England afternoon. For clam-free chowder that'll make you as happy as a clam saved from a soup bowl and for

Johnny cakes and blueberry slump that our founding fathers would've liked to have gotten their forks into, check out our vegan takes on these New England classics.

Corn Chowder

Johnny Cakes

Blueberry Slump

The MidwestWelcome to America's Breadbasket, where "amber waves of grain" are predominant in the farmlands and fertile soil of the block of states, stretching from Ohio to the Dakotas. The Midwest has been considered the cultural crossroads of America since the early 1800s, when people from all over Europe—attracted by the area's bountiful harvest and the Mississippi River—settled there. Chicago, the hub of the Heartland, is the third-largest city in the nation. Influenced by the ethnic cooking of early Scandinavian, Dutch, and German settlers, at the heart of every generously portioned Midwest dinner is a simple stick-to-your ribs recipe, with no fancy or exotic seasonings. Take a hearty and humane helping of our vegan versions of three classic Midwestern meals: pasties, macaroni and "cheese," and apple dumplings.

Pasties

Vegan Mac & Cheese

Apple Dumplings

The SouthY'all know you're in the South by the humidity in the air and the sweet tea on your table! The South is one of the most colorful and distinctive regions in the country. Plantations proliferated in the Old South before the Civil War, but the new South's mainstay is manufacturing. Nowadays, the cotton isn't the only thing high—high-rise buildings soar in the skylines of major cities such as Atlanta and Little Rock, Arkansas. Traditional Southern cooking is an amalgam of tried and true recipes of Native Americans, African slaves, and subsistence farmers who all learned from one another to use native ingredients in creative ways. If you're fixin' to cook up some yummy vegan vittles, then get down with our down-home recipes for hushpuppies that'll have you howling, "chicken" and dumplings that'll make you crow, and shoofly pie that'll give your taste buds wings.

Hushpuppies

'Chicken' and Dumplings

Shoofly Pie

Fried "Chicken"

The SouthwestWith its arid atmosphere and magical landscape of deserts and starkly beautiful, open spaces, the Southwest, which comprises Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas, is one of America's unique treasures. Because parts of this region were obtained from Mexico following the Mexican-American War, much of the Southwest's culture is derived from its Mexican heritage. Many Native American tribes, such as the Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, and Apache, call this area home, and their influences can also be seen in everything from the food to the art and culture. Common ingredients in Southwestern cuisine, which is a combination of Spanish, Mexican, and Native American dishes, include chilies, tortillas, tomatoes, red pepper, cumin, and cinnamon. For a signature Southwestern feast featuring this region's traditional flavors, chow down on our carne-free chili and our vegan version of buñuelos—a Mexican Christmas treat made of fried, sweet tortillas topped with

sugar and cinnamon.

Flaming Firehouse Chili

Buñuelos

The Pacific NorthwestThe Pacific Northwest, which includes Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, is renowned for rainy days, laid-back living, lush green forests, and breathtaking mountain ranges such as the Cascades and the Rockies. Lewis and Clark discovered this region, and after some wheeling and dealing with the United Kingdom, it became part of the United States in the late 1800s. Although big cities such as Portland and Seattle started out as seaports, they have now become major technological and industrial centers as well. The sea, which has always played a major part in the life and culture of the Pacific Northwest, has also had a big influence on regional food favorites. Shepherd's pie, a traditional British dish, in which the ingredients of the "pie" are covered with a blanket of baked mashed potatoes; sailor skillet bread, a slightly sweet treat baked in a hot skillet; and creamy chocolate bread pudding with rum sauce are enduring favorites of

seafaring folks. Set the course—and your table—for these vegan versions that are sure to "shiver yer timbers."

Shepherd's Pie

Sailor Skillet Bread

Chocolate Bread Pudding With Rum Sauce

Crispy Fried Tofu With Pineapple Chutney

Search Recipes >

Subscribe to Weekly Recipes

Learn more »

Claire's Corner Copia

Chef: Janet Hudson

Hema Bhatter's International Vegetarian Recipes

I Can't Believe It's Vegan!

More Features >

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Peter, dear, for those who are taking the baby steps, it is a way to show how to cook and still have those "comfort" foods from when they were children.

Personally, I have never figured out the whole meat thing in chili beans anyway. "Real" chili is only meat and "chili" beans are beans. Of course, I learned to cook them from our neighbor when I was a kid who was from Mexico and then again when I lived in Mexico. Meat and beans didn't mix!

At anyrate, I can see where it would help get some folks to take the first steps. After awhile they usually find they don't need or want the faux meat.

However, being able to buy the faux meats has gotten DH to eat a lot more veggie type things. He hasn't noticed the difference and that has helped youngest on her journey to veganism.

Any steps are better than no steps! Just think, if everyone in the world just converted one meal a day to vegan that would cut the call for meat by 1/3, minimum! From that one step could come a real revolution in food think throughout the world!

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:54 AM

Re: comfort foods

Very interesting, recipes aimed at you Yanks obviously ( by the ingredients / manufacturers ), why all the faux animal parts? why cant they set an example and use their imagination with beans , lentils and tofu?,I `d hate to think how much these faux products cost, probably more than all the other ingredients put together.But then I am a tight bar steward , so I`ll shut my gob now.

http://origin.www.vegcooking.com/comfortfoods.asp?int=weekly_enews

Mapping Out the Best Comfort Foods in America

Nearly all American cuisine comes from a melting pot of ethnic recipes infused with regional ingredients and cooking techniques. No matter where you call home, nothing is more comforting than a down-home meal of comfort foods! Ready for a menu that spans the United States? Then help yourself to the best comfort foods from around the country.

New EnglandCovering everything from the wood-frame houses and white church steeples in the quaint towns of Connecticut to the lighthouse-studded, craggy coastline of Maine, New England is home to some of America's most famous historical events. It was here where icons of the American Revolution blazed a trail from colonialism to independence. Another enduring legacy of this area is its top-notch colleges and universities, including Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, and Wesleyan. Known for their signature chowders and corn-based meals, which are a result of early Native American influences, these Yanks know how to cook up some "wicked" good eats. Nothing beats waking up to a heaping stack of Johnny cakes on a crisp, cool morning or warming up with a hot "cupachowda" and blueberry slump—a concoction of hot fruit and dumplings—on a blustery New England afternoon. For clam-free chowder that'll make you as happy as a clam saved from a soup bowl and f or Johnny cakes and blueberry slump that our founding fathers would've liked to have gotten their forks into, check out our vegan takes on these New England classics.

Corn Chowder

Johnny Cakes Blueberry Slump

The MidwestWelcome to America's Breadbasket, where "amber waves of grain" are predominant in the farmlands and fertile soil of the block of states, stretching from Ohio to the Dakotas. The Midwest has been considered the cultural crossroads of America since the early 1800s, when people from all over Europe—attracted by the area's bountiful harvest and the Mississippi River—settled there. Chicago, the hub of the Heartland, is the third-largest city in the nation. Influenced by the ethnic cooking of early Scandinavian, Dutch, and German settlers, at the heart of every generously portioned Midwest dinner is a simple stick-to-your ribs recipe, with no fancy or exotic seasonings. Take a hearty and humane helping of our vegan versions of three classic Midwestern meals: pasties, macaroni and "cheese," and apple dumplings.

Pasties Vegan Mac & Cheese

Apple Dumplings

The SouthY'all know you're in the South by the humidity in the air and the sweet tea on your table! The South is one of the most colorful and distinctive regions in the country. Plantations proliferated in the Old South before the Civil War, but the new South's mainstay is manufacturing. Nowadays, the cotton isn't the only thing high—high-rise buildings soar in the skylines of major cities such as Atlanta and Little Rock, Arkansas. Traditional Southern cooking is an amalgam of tried and true recipes of Native Americans, African slaves, and subsistence farmers who all learned from one another to use native ingredients in creative ways. If you're fixin' to cook up some yummy vegan vittles, then get down with our down-home recipes for hushpuppies that'll have you howling, "chicken" and dumplings that'll make you crow, and shoofly pie that'll give your taste buds wings.

Hushpuppies 'Chicken' and Dumplings Shoofly Pie Fried "Chicken"

The SouthwestWith its arid atmosphere and magical landscape of deserts and starkly beautiful, open spaces, the Southwest, which comprises Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas, is one of America's unique treasures. Because parts of this region were obtained from Mexico following the Mexican-American War, much of the Southwest's culture is derived from its Mexican heritage. Many Native American tribes, such as the Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, and Apache, call this area home, and their influences can also be seen in everything from the food to the art and culture. Common ingredients in Southwestern cuisine, which is a combination of Spanish, Mexican, and Native American dishes, include chilies, tortillas, tomatoes, red pepper, cumin, and cinnamon. For a signature Southwestern feast featuring this region's traditional flavors, chow down on our carne-free chili and our vegan version of buñuelos—a Mexican Christmas treat made of fried, sweet tortillas top ped with sugar and cinnamon.

Flaming Firehouse Chili

Buñuelos

The Pacific NorthwestThe Pacific Northwest, which includes Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, is renowned for rainy days, laid-back living, lush green forests, and breathtaking mountain ranges such as the Cascades and the Rockies. Lewis and Clark discovered this region, and after some wheeling and dealing with the United Kingdom, it became part of the United States in the late 1800s. Although big cities such as Portland and Seattle started out as seaports, they have now become major technological and industrial centers as well. The sea, which has always played a major part in the life and culture of the Pacific Northwest, has also had a big influence on regional food favorites. Shepherd's pie, a traditional British dish, in which the ingredients of the "pie" are covered with a blanket of baked mashed potatoes; sailor skillet bread, a slightly sweet treat baked in a hot skillet; and creamy chocolate bread pudding with rum sauce are enduring favorite s of seafaring folks. Set the course—and your table—for these vegan versions that are sure to "shiver yer timbers."

Shepherd's Pie

Sailor Skillet Bread Chocolate Bread Pudding With Rum Sauce

Crispy Fried Tofu With Pineapple Chutney

Search Recipes > Subscribe to Weekly Recipes

Learn more »

Claire's Corner Copia

Chef: Janet Hudson

Hema Bhatter's International Vegetarian Recipes

I Can't Believe It's Vegan!

More Features >

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

I sort of agree with the baby steps approach, but part of me says all or nothing. I dont know about you guys over the water, but you can get beans/lentils etc a lot easier than you can get the processed faux stuff over here, and they cost tumps more. Personally I would tend to push the money saving/health benefits over familiarity with carcas parts to potential vegans.

The Valley Vegan.........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Peter, dear, for those who are taking the baby steps, it is a way to show how to cook and still have those "comfort" foods from when they were children.

Personally, I have never figured out the whole meat thing in chili beans anyway. "Real" chili is only meat and "chili" beans are beans. Of course, I learned to cook them from our neighbor when I was a kid who was from Mexico and then again when I lived in Mexico. Meat and beans didn't mix!

At anyrate, I can see where it would help get some folks to take the first steps. After awhile they usually find they don't need or want the faux meat.

However, being able to buy the faux meats has gotten DH to eat a lot more veggie type things. He hasn't noticed the difference and that has helped youngest on her journey to veganism.

Any steps are better than no steps! Just think, if everyone in the world just converted one meal a day to vegan that would cut the call for meat by 1/3, minimum! From that one step could come a real revolution in food think throughout the world!

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Every grocery store, even some in small out of the way places like where I live, carry vegetarian items and some even carry vegan items. You can't get much more lost in the sticks than I am.

In the U.S. it is the mind set of convenience. Going to the grocery store and picking something up that is quick and easy usually trumps health any day of the week.

Since my objective is the environment, I do whatever I can to get folks to make changes and the changes that are easier to make are more likely to take. Unfortunately most folks aren't willing to go out of their way to do anything until it comes to the "or else" state in their lives. If I can get them to change painlessly then I've main a step in the right direction.

With that in mind, when we have folks over I always do a "every help" dinner. They go home amazed at how easy it is to make homemade salsa. Or how little time it takes to make a roasted bell pepper sauce for pasta. Or how easy it is to stir fry veggies for veggie burritos. I now have lots of folks eating several meals a week that are all organic and have no meat in them at all.

With folks I can't change, then I try to get them to do less harmful things (free range eggs, local cheeses from specific goat dairies that I know are not raising kids for slaughter, etc.). All of which helps. These same folks then help when I ask if they will sign petitions or picket against things like the geese torture farms.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 11, 2005 11:30 AM

I sort of agree with the baby steps approach, but part of me says all or nothing. I dont know about you guys over the water, but you can get beans/lentils etc a lot easier than you can get the processed faux stuff over here, and they cost tumps more. Personally I would tend to push the money saving/health benefits over familiarity with carcas parts to potential vegans.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Here, in Wales in the valleys, we still have corner shops that usually only tend to sell the more popular foodstuffs - cans & frozen ready meals. Very few vegie items and practically no vegan ones. Most do however sell frozen veg, some fresh, and some dried peas/lentils rice etc. so you can get by by not going too far to find a supermarket. If you can get to a supermarket, you can stock up on soya milk, all sorts of veg/fruit grains and pulses and legumes and even tofu. Ten years ago this was not possible. Anything more adventurous you have to look for a health food shop for your analogues or vegan convenience foods, or use mail order.

I agree about trying to minimise impact on the enviroment, which is why I insist on vegan eco washing up liquid and washing powder ( my wife is a carefree carnivore ). I too steer her to buying organic free range eggs etc.

The Valley Vegan...........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Every grocery store, even some in small out of the way places like where I live, carry vegetarian items and some even carry vegan items. You can't get much more lost in the sticks than I am.

In the U.S. it is the mind set of convenience. Going to the grocery store and picking something up that is quick and easy usually trumps health any day of the week.

Since my objective is the environment, I do whatever I can to get folks to make changes and the changes that are easier to make are more likely to take. Unfortunately most folks aren't willing to go out of their way to do anything until it comes to the "or else" state in their lives. If I can get them to change painlessly then I've main a step in the right direction.

With that in mind, when we have folks over I always do a "every help" dinner. They go home amazed at how easy it is to make homemade salsa. Or how little time it takes to make a roasted bell pepper sauce for pasta. Or how easy it is to stir fry veggies for veggie burritos. I now have lots of folks eating several meals a week that are all organic and have no meat in them at all.

With folks I can't change, then I try to get them to do less harmful things (free range eggs, local cheeses from specific goat dairies that I know are not raising kids for slaughter, etc.). All of which helps. These same folks then help when I ask if they will sign petitions or picket against things like the geese torture farms.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Unfortunately it's not the same here. The couple of local shops we have sell only tinned items, and the fresh fruit and vegetables are not fresh, but limp. I have not seen any dried beans or lentis in our shops for years. Plenty of packaged cakes and sweets, sugary fruit drinks etc. So we would not be able to live healthily from the local shops even on a carnivorous diet. We really do have to go to a town for health food shops, and to the supermarket for fresh vegetables.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 11, 2005 9:50 PM

Here, in Wales in the valleys, we still have corner shops that usually only tend to sell the more popular foodstuffs - cans & frozen ready meals. Very few vegie items and practically no vegan ones. Most do however sell frozen veg, some fresh, and some dried peas/lentils rice etc. so you can get by by not going too far to find a supermarket. If you can get to a supermarket, you can stock up on soya milk, all sorts of veg/fruit grains and pulses and legumes and even tofu. Ten years ago this was not possible. Anything more adventurous you have to look for a health food shop for your analogues or vegan convenience foods, or use mail order.

I agree about trying to minimise impact on the enviroment, which is why I insist on vegan eco washing up liquid and washing powder ( my wife is a carefree carnivore ). I too steer her to buying organic free range eggs etc.

The Valley Vegan...........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

The kidlet and I keep a list and we're up to 20 some people that we've convince over the last few years to go organic, 7 became organic vegetarian and 2 who have gone on to become vegans.

We send them all organic goodies for Christmas. They are also spreading the word and getting converts.

AND, we now have about two dozen folks who are doing rescues! Yipee! It is a good virus and is spreading <<bg>>

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 11, 2005 1:50 PM

The Valley Vegan...........

Well done Lynda, your doing a grand job.

The Valley Vegan..........Lynda <lurine wrote:

The kidlet and I keep a list and we're up to 20 some people that we've convince over the last few years to go organic, 7 became organic vegetarian and 2 who have gone on to become vegans.

We send them all organic goodies for Christmas. They are also spreading the word and getting converts.

AND, we now have about two dozen folks who are doing rescues! Yipee! It is a good virus and is spreading <<bg>>

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 11, 2005 1:50 PM

The Valley Vegan...........Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Lynda I would love your recipes for stir fry veggies and roasted bell pepper sauce.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

With that in mind, when we have folks over I always do a "every help" dinner. They go home amazed at how easy it is to make homemade salsa. Or how little time it takes to make a roasted bell pepper sauce for pasta. Or how easy it is to stir fry veggies for veggie burritos. I now have lots of folks eating several meals a week that are all organic and have no meat in them at all.Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Recipes???? What the heck are recipes <g>

For stir fried veggies I just grab whatever is in season or around, start with a little olive oil on low heat and toss with some garlic (finely minced) and chopped onion. If you do it real low, the oil "becomes" whatever flavors you put in. Sometimes I add fresh basil or cilantro or chives or rosemary or mint or whatever happens to get into my hand first when I walk out on the deck <g> Once I'm sure the oil has lots of flavor, I turn up the heat and toss in veggies (squash, broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, celery, broccoli <g>, asparagus, artichoke hearts, bokchoy, broccoli, bell pepper). After I take MY share out, I toss in mushrooms for DH and the kidlet.

Now, with the stir fried veggies I do all kinds of things, toss them with pasta, pour them over rice, put them in a flour or soy tortilla, stuff pita pockets, or take little round sourdough breads which I slice in half and pull most of the "bread" out of and fill the hole up.

Then sometimes, since youngest is veggie, I use the veggie mayo, add some fake buttermilk flavoring and some garlic, dill, pepper and onion flakes (let this sit for at least a couple of hours, overnight is best) and use it in the pita, sourdough or tortillas.

Sometimes I wrap the veggies up in wonton papers (the ones I get are all veggie) and then use the sauce for dipping.

For the pepper sauce, I take red bell peppers and roast them in the oven (smear with EVOO first) or on the BBQ. When they are black, put them in a bowl with a cover and let set. Then take them under running water and pull off all the blackened skin. Save one to julienne and put the rest in the blender with a little EVOO, Italian parsley, some garlic, fine ground pepper and then toss with hot pasta and the julienned pepper you saved. To serve, sprinkle with a little parsley and some pine nuts that are roasted.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, September 12, 2005 2:20 PM

Lynda I would love your recipes for stir fry veggies and roasted bell pepper sauce.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

With that in mind, when we have folks over I always do a "every help" dinner. They go home amazed at how easy it is to make homemade salsa. Or how little time it takes to make a roasted bell pepper sauce for pasta. Or how easy it is to stir fry veggies for veggie burritos. I now have lots of folks eating several meals a week that are all organic and have no meat in them at all.Jonnie

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

hi lynda

that is great what you are doing. I have not converted, if you will, many people but,

my mom is vegetarian, but now drinks rice milk and is cutting down on her cheese. My husband, is almost vegan, eats nothing animal except for the fact that he still eats those veggie slices with Casein in them. My MIL and FIL are reducing their meat intake. Keep up the good work.

as far as rescues, I was able to rescue a little bird near siesta beach where I live. I knew there was something wrong with him when he wouldn't fly away and people were coming up to him an petting him. I later learn his name is Skimmer a beach bird with a long beak. I wrapped him up in a towel and took him to a Bird Hospital.

they said it was probably red tide which made him sick, last time I called he was still hanging on.

-anouk

-

Lynda

9/11/2005 6:09:14 PM

Lynda

You threw your pebble in the water and you are seeing the ripple effect. It is all we can do. But at least we are doing something!

Lynda

-

zurumato

Monday, September 12, 2005 4:27 PM

hi lynda

that is great what you are doing. I have not converted, if you will, many people but,

my mom is vegetarian, but now drinks rice milk and is cutting down on her cheese. My husband, is almost vegan, eats nothing animal except for the fact that he still eats those veggie slices with Casein in them. My MIL and FIL are reducing their meat intake. Keep up the good work.

as far as rescues, I was able to rescue a little bird near siesta beach where I live. I knew there was something wrong with him when he wouldn't fly away and people were coming up to him an petting him. I later learn his name is Skimmer a beach bird with a long beak. I wrapped him up in a towel and took him to a Bird Hospital.

they said it was probably red tide which made him sick, last time I called he was still hanging on.

-anouk

-

Lynda

9/11/2005 6:09:14 PM

Lynda

Thank you so much! I can't wait to try them.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Recipes???? What the heck are recipes <g>

For stir fried veggies I just grab whatever is in season or around, start with a little olive oil on low heat and toss with some garlic (finely minced) and chopped onion. If you do it real low, the oil "becomes" whatever flavors you put in. Sometimes I add fresh basil or cilantro or chives or rosemary or mint or whatever happens to get into my hand first when I walk out on the deck <g> Once I'm sure the oil has lots of flavor, I turn up the heat and toss in veggies (squash, broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, celery, broccoli <g>, asparagus, artichoke hearts, bokchoy, broccoli, bell pepper). After I take MY share out, I toss in mushrooms for DH and the kidlet.

Now, with the stir fried veggies I do all kinds of things, toss them with pasta, pour them over rice, put them in a flour or soy tortilla, stuff pita pockets, or take little round sourdough breads which I slice in half and pull most of the "bread" out of and fill the hole up.

Then sometimes, since youngest is veggie, I use the veggie mayo, add some fake buttermilk flavoring and some garlic, dill, pepper and onion flakes (let this sit for at least a couple of hours, overnight is best) and use it in the pita, sourdough or tortillas.

Sometimes I wrap the veggies up in wonton papers (the ones I get are all veggie) and then use the sauce for dipping.

For the pepper sauce, I take red bell peppers and roast them in the oven (smear with EVOO first) or on the BBQ. When they are black, put them in a bowl with a cover and let set. Then take them under running water and pull off all the blackened skin. Save one to julienne and put the rest in the blender with a little EVOO, Italian parsley, some garlic, fine ground pepper and then toss with hot pasta and the julienned pepper you saved. To serve, sprinkle with a little parsley and some pine nuts that are roasted.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, September 12, 2005 2:20 PM

Lynda <lurine wrote:

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

• 3 years later...

wow, you gave me tears. Thanks for sharing.

hugs,

Chanda

-

ande frayser

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:41 AM

Comfort Foods

My favorite comfort meal is a jacket sweet potato (one baked in its skin only)

greens (I prefer Kale but if you throw in some collards I won't complain)

Mac-n-cheese (I prefer my Momma's) and corn bread.

This was basically Sunday dinner from when I was coming up. We would go to

Miller's Farm on Friday evenings and get cases of fresh greens, yams and two

wheels of cheese and come home and start soaking the greens. When Great Grandma

was alive she would tell us stories while we picked, scrubbed and soaked the

greens again, and again and again...

Most of Saturday morning was spent preparing Sunday Dinner which meant that we

always went out for dinner on Saturday (Chesapeake Bay Seafood House- I think we

put them out of business on just our family alone- " all you can eat " is a

dangerous phrase). Sunday, before service, Momma would start making the corn

breads (around 5 am) and we would always volunteer to see if it was " poisoned "

which usually took at least two piping hot slices with butter to determine. The

really good corn bread batches were always declared unfit for human consumption

and the brave soul would sacrifice himself for the good of the family by

volunteering to eat the whole pan. (In between that she would press, curl or

otherwise style 9 or so heads of hair. My grown, married sisters would come to

have her do their hair on Sundays. She would put the hot comb or the curling

iron between the grates under the cooking pots.. The woman is resourceful if

nothing else).

When we returned we could have dinner, and this is the one day we used the

Formal Dining Room and the good china, we always had someone coming by to " get a

plate " or another part of the family would come by to eat. I am the youngest of

13 so this was when I would see my older siblings and their children and it

almost always met a gift, usually money, from my brothers and their wives. Lots

of laughter and good ol' fashion family bonding- and Lord a Mercy, pray you

hadn't gotten in trouble that week because the whole family got involved in the

chastisement. Family business would be aired and many a problem solved or made

worse depending... but I never left feeling anything but happy.

The best compliments would come when we tried to outdo each other on how well

Momma " stuck her foot " in the greens. They could be so funny sometimes...

The best part was Monday morning breakfast which was a slice of corn bread

with some hot pot licka in a bowl. If you have a good hot sauce to put on it

that just takes it past perfection! I tell you there is no better way to start

the week!

I am so glad to have the memories tied to these foods since my siblings live

all over the world and Momma is in another state. These foods represent

happiness, acceptance and peace to me. They are some of my children's favorites

too because they tie them to a past they never got to experience first hand (my

siblings grandchildren are my kid's ages).

This was a great question of the week, I am feeling all warm and happy from

the memories.

I eat to comfort myself all the time, I have a weight/food addiction

issue, but my favorite food of all time is falafel, made with

coriander. I could eat those little balls of wonderful everyday. I also

enjoy a good hummus and flat bread. I also love meatloaf, made with

vegeburger and velveta, Judy you probably know what Im talking about

here. At our church it is called Sabbath Loaf, it was at every potluck

back at my church in Indiana. I will find and share the recipe sometime

if I havent already. I love this with a side of mashed potatoes and

fresh steamed asparagus. My favorite desert has to be cheescake.

Cherie

• 1 year later...