IndiaDivine.org

Goddess dressing (was: Urgent: Changes to Fatfreevegan.com)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>I have a question. I checked the FF vegan website for a creamy salad

dressing. I see some use low fat tofu. I am confused. Is that o.k. to

use on a fat free diet?

The food plan is no *added* fat. Remember, a lot of healthy foods, like

oats and many beans, even some veggies, have natural fat.

As for low fat tofu, even Mary McDougall uses it in many of her recipes.

>Being new I want to get things right and not have to re-learn, or find

something I really like and not be able to use it.

Are you following a particular food plan, like Eat to Live or one of the

McDougall ones, or just making changes to eat healthier on your own?

Even Dr. McDougall has been known to say " Progress, not perfection, "

from time to time. :)

Sue in NJ

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Sue in NJ wrote:

>> I have a question. I checked the FF vegan website for a creamy salad

> dressing. I see some use low fat tofu. I am confused. Is that o.k. to

> use on a fat free diet?

>

> The food plan is no *added* fat. Remember, a lot of healthy foods, like

> oats and many beans, even some veggies, have natural fat.

Hi Sue,

But oats, beans, and veggies are all whole foods. Tofu is not. Tofu is a

processed food, and even low fat tofu is almost 30% fat (regular tofu is

around 50% fat, IIRR).

I always have the same question when ostensibly " fat-free " recipes call

for a processed food like tofu, that has such a high percentage of fat.

Maybe I am being too literal, but to me, " fat-free " means no fat other

than what the food itself (in this case soybeans) has.

Once you process the soybeans into tofu, you are concentrating the fat,

while removing the fiber -- exactly the problem with so many processsed

foods.

> As for low fat tofu, even Mary McDougall uses it in many of her recipes.

>

But does she call these recipes " fat-free " ? If so, then I guess I just

have a different understanding of " fat-free " .....

-Mary

Thanks for the info. Keeping that all in mind about no fat, is there a way to make a creamy ranch dressing without any fat?--- On Fri, 2/19/10, Mary E. Cotter <mec wrote:

Mary E. Cotter <mecRe: Goddess dressing (was: Urgent: Changes to Fatfreevegan.com) Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 5:46 PM

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Sue in NJ wrote:>> I have a question. I checked the FF vegan website for a creamy salad> dressing. I see some use low fat tofu. I am confused. Is that o.k. to> use on a fat free diet?>> The food plan is no *added* fat. Remember, a lot of healthy foods, like> oats and many beans, even some veggies, have natural fat.Hi Sue,But oats, beans, and veggies are all whole foods. Tofu is not. Tofu is a processed food, and even low fat tofu is almost 30% fat (regular tofu is around 50% fat, IIRR).I always have the same question when ostensibly "fat-free" recipes call for a processed food like tofu, that has such a high percentage of fat. Maybe I am being too literal, but to me, "fat-free" means no fat other than what the food itself (in this case soybeans) has.Once you process the soybeans into tofu, you are concentrating the fat, while

removing the fiber -- exactly the problem with so many processsed foods.> As for low fat tofu, even Mary McDougall uses it in many of her recipes.>But does she call these recipes "fat-free"? If so, then I guess I just have a different understanding of "fat-free".. ...-Mary

I don't actually know what ranch dressing is (not something we eat in New Zealand) but you can use pureed white beans or sweeet potato to make creamy sauce - the starch provides the creaminess. On 20/02/2010, at 8:01 AM, Katts Smith wrote:Thanks for the info. Keeping that all in mind about no fat, is there a way to make a creamy ranch dressing without any fat?

Just tiring to eat better, cut out fat and look for better ways to make the food I already eat . I have tried a lot of "diets". I can not seem to stick to any. I feel consumed with weighting, counting points or calories, I get obsessed with the food I ate, can eat, or have to eat and guilty if I eat the wrong things. My hope is that this way my work better for me. I hope so anyway. --- On Fri, 2/19/10, Sue in NJ <sue_in_nj wrote:

Sue in NJ <sue_in_njRe: Goddess dressing (was: Urgent: Changes to Fatfreevegan.com) Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 2:31 PM

>I have a question. I checked the FF vegan website for a creamy saladdressing. I see some use low fat tofu. I am confused. Is that o.k. touse on a fat free diet?The food plan is no *added* fat. Remember, a lot of healthy foods, likeoats and many beans, even some veggies, have natural fat.As for low fat tofu, even Mary McDougall uses it in many of her recipes.>Being new I want to get things right and not have to re-learn, or findsomething I really like and not be able to use it.Are you following a particular food plan, like Eat to Live or one of theMcDougall ones, or just making changes to eat healthier on your own?Even Dr. McDougall has been known to say "Progress, not perfection,"from time to time. :)Sue in NJ

White beans, that sounds interesting. I am going to try that. Ranch dressing is usually a butter milk base with different spices. It is a thick creamy white salad dressing. Hidden Valley is the best brand, althought Kraft has one as well. You can also buy the dry package mix and make your own fresh--- On Fri, 2/19/10, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:

Alice Leonard <aliceRe: Goddess dressing (was: Urgent: Changes to Fatfreevegan.com) Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 7:03 PM

I don't actually know what ranch dressing is (not something we eat in New Zealand) but you can use pureed white beans or sweeet potato to make creamy sauce - the starch provides the creaminess.

On 20/02/2010, at 8:01 AM, Katts Smith wrote:

Thanks for the info. Keeping that all in mind about no fat, is there a way to make a creamy ranch dressing without any fat?