IndiaDivine.org

Medicine question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi

Question- I have to take antibiotics prior to dental work due to a joint

replacement (promise this will lead to a food related question :). ).

The antibiotics I am limited to due to allergies lead to yeast infection.

In the past, I would eat a lot of yogurt with live cultures to combat this.

Can anyone recommend anything they've tried (foodwise) to help with yeast?

Thanks!

Mary

(With a temporary crown and throbbing mouth atm)

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

How about acidophilus tablets? Take a couple each time you take your medicine. I believe the soy, rice, and/or coconut yogurts contain probiotics. You might want to check the labels to see. Marilyn

marywheezer

Wed, Feb 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Medicine question

Hi

Question- I have to take antibiotics prior to dental work due to a joint replacement (promise this will lead to a food related question :). ).

The antibiotics I am limited to due to allergies lead to yeast infection.

In the past, I would eat a lot of yogurt with live cultures to combat this.

Can anyone recommend anything they've tried (foodwise) to help with yeast?

Thanks!

Mary

(With a temporary crown and throbbing mouth atm)

I would also take a couple probiotic capsules daily. Much stronger than just the yogurt.

Personally, I like PB8.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 3:45 PM, <marywheezer wrote:

HiQuestion- I have to take antibiotics prior to dental work due to a joint replacement (promise this will lead to a food related question :). ).The antibiotics I am limited to due to allergies lead to yeast infection.

In the past, I would eat a lot of yogurt with live cultures to combat this. Can anyone recommend anything they've tried (foodwise) to help with yeast?Thanks!Mary(With a temporary crown and throbbing mouth atm)

The acidophilus, probiotics and yogurt would help with the diarrhea post-antibiotic use, not necessarily with yeast infections. This is how it works: there are lots of good-for-you bacteria that live in your intestine. When taking antibiotics, these bacteria get killed, therefore they can't do their job, and you get diarrhea. Probiotics and yogurt help replace these intestinal bacteria and avoid or reduce the diarrhea. Yeast infections, specially in the vaginal area, are due to an imbalance between the yeast and bacteria that normally live down there. When you take antibiotics, vaginal bacteria get killed and yeast predominate, causing infection. I don't think yogurt or probiotics can help replace bacteria in certain places, besides the intestine.

Not everybody gets yeast infections after antibiotic use, but if you do, I recommend you visit your primary care physician and get it checked. There is fluconazole, which you take just one pill once, and that will do.

Hope this helps,

Alejandra Moscoso, MD

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM, <marywheezer wrote:

HiQuestion- I have to take antibiotics prior to dental work due to a joint replacement (promise this will lead to a food related question :). ).The antibiotics I am limited to due to allergies lead to yeast infection.

In the past, I would eat a lot of yogurt with live cultures to combat this. Can anyone recommend anything they've tried (foodwise) to help with yeast?Thanks!Mary(With a temporary crown and throbbing mouth atm)

There are probiotic soy yogurt, equivalent to the yogurt you would eat before. Check out your health food store or Whole Foods, if you have one near you.

Dena

-

marywheezer

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:45 PM

Medicine question

HiQuestion- I have to take antibiotics prior to dental work due to a joint replacement (promise this will lead to a food related question :). ).The antibiotics I am limited to due to allergies lead to yeast infection.In the past, I would eat a lot of yogurt with live cultures to combat this. Can anyone recommend anything they've tried (foodwise) to help with yeast?Thanks!Mary(With a temporary crown and throbbing mouth atm)Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2707 - Release 02/24/10 00:34:00

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2707 - Release 02/24/10

00:34:00