IndiaDivine.org

Sushi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello John, Kristine, and listmembers all--

There were a couple questions about sushi, and I thought I'd share my own quick fix for cravings. I found that what I craved was not so much the fish itself but all the stuff that went along with it-- the wasabi, etc. Imagine my surprise when a guy at a record store in Gainesville, FL said the sushi bar next door had vegetarian sushi! Of course, it isn't fish, but it was verrrrrrry good! What it was was sticky rice and seaweed wrapped around cream cheese, avocado, yellow pepper and something else (can't remember what) with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top. Yum! Unfortunately, if you realllly like the sushi part, you're up a creek with a paddle with the steak lovers. I love Japanese food. Unfortunately, I live in a relatively small town in Iowa and I swear there is not an ounce of miso in it. One grocery store doesn't even carry tofu!!! Makes me thankful I can at least get soy sauce. :)

Somebody else posted an article blasting soy. Do not despair my friend! All that article recommends is that you not replace your entire protein intake with soy, with moderation in eating non-fermented soybean items. As for falling prey to marketing-- EVERYTHING is marketed. Everyone tries to make you believe their product is healthy for you. If all claims were untrue, believe me, the FDA would be after the producers' collective rears. Think about all the good things soy is in -- how about ethanol, for example? It cuts our fossil fuel usage, burns cleaner, and is altogether healthier than gas. The truth is that while soy may not be a miracle food, it is always better than murdering animals for protein. :)

Smiles,

Em

Guest guest

the FDA would be after the producers' collective

rears.

----

Dearest Em,

I think that you assume the FDA cared about the public? That is a big

assumption. :-) The truth is it is dominated by big food manufacturing

companies and big drug companies. The place FDA officials go to for jobs

after they get their government pension. :-( That is why we are trying

to educate ourselves and others on products, over the net.

Think about all the good things soy is in -- how about ethanol, for

example? It cuts our fossil fuel usage, burns cleaner, and is altogether

healthier than gas.

Dearest Em, the only trouble with soy is when it is not fully fermented, and

used internally. If it makes good ethanol, then I am ALL for it.

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the oil conglomerates who prevent the

manufacturing of vehicles and fuel based on ethanol use. I have been

watching that saga for over 20 years.

The truth is that while soy may not be a miracle food, it

is always better than murdering animals for protein. :)

Dearest Em, an avid vegetarian told me years ago, there is protein in

EVERYTHING. Vegetables provide all the protein one needs, the real

shortages people tend to get while being completely off meat and dairy, is a

shortage of B vitamins. I think with or without meat we all have this

trouble.

I am very much trying to eat as little animal/fish as I can, but I do not

call the use of such " murder. " I hope that this difference of opinion can

be tolerated.

Kristine

Guest guest

Please remove me from your mailings. I do not have time to keep up with all the email. Thanks for all the good ideas.

CASEY

SAHM to

Hannah Victoria

6-16-99

Loving wife to

Terry

• 9 years later...
Guest guest

It took me around four tries to start getting a hang of it (considering how

much, ahem, rolling I did in college, it surprises me it took this long).

Making " maki sushi " (rolls that are sliced) is a fantastic say to not only make

a quick low-fat vegan meal, but take advantage of left-overs in the 'frig.

Carrots, left-over cooked greens, cucumbers, radishes, asparagus, and more...

all work. Gotta admit, it's a thrill to grab spinach and thin asparagus from

the garden while the rice is cooking...

There are a ton of webpages out there that show you how to make maki sushi and

measurements (use " The Goggle " Luke...).

Short brown rice works, but in all honestly, even though the sushi rice (white)

is less nutritious, it's easier (in my experiences) to work with. I'm finally

at a point where it's a reliable process and there's no stress in getting it

right.

Here's my New Year's Eve selected photos of making sushi:

http://soulveggie.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/01/happy-new-year-some-vegan-sushi-pi\

x.html

....and here's an article on sush (vegetarian) by Bittman in today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/dining/05mini.html?hpw

IMHO, worth the effort to master, and quite fun in implementation.

Finally, I don't have a favorite recipe. I don't use the sake and kombu, but

just cook the rice per instructions on package or, if in bulk purchase, the

same.

Don't be intimidated! It's not that hard (although I haven't tried doing the

reverse rolls yet, with the rice on the outside....).

FYI, Mark

Guest guest

Yes, sushi is great!There's a couple of lovely videos of making different types of sushi at www.tofuguru.net.

On 6/05/2010, at 1:28 AM, Mark Sutton wrote:It took me around four tries to start getting a hang of it (considering how much, ahem, rolling I did in college, it surprises me it took this long). Making "maki sushi" (rolls that are sliced) is a fantastic say to not only make a quick low-fat vegan meal, but take advantage of left-overs in the 'frig.Carrots, left-over cooked greens, cucumbers, radishes, asparagus, and more... all work. Gotta admit, it's a thrill to grab spinach and thin asparagus from the garden while the rice is cooking...There are a ton of webpages out there that show you how to make maki sushi and measurements (use "The Goggle" Luke...).Short brown rice works, but in all honestly, even though the sushi rice (white) is less nutritious, it's easier (in my experiences) to work with. I'm finally at a point where it's a reliable process and there's no stress in getting it right.Here's my New Year's Eve selected photos of making sushi:http://soulveggie.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/01/happy-new-year-some-vegan-sushi-pix.html...and here's an article on sush (vegetarian) by Bittman in today's NY Times:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/dining/05mini.html?hpwIMHO, worth the effort to master, and quite fun in implementation.Finally, I don't have a favorite recipe. I don't use the sake and kombu, but just cook the rice per instructions on package or, if in bulk purchase, the same.Don't be intimidated! It's not that hard (although I haven't tried doing the reverse rolls yet, with the rice on the outside....).FYI, Mark

Guest guest

Hi MarkJust had a look at your sushi post - it looks delicious!But you say "Leftovers today in SEALED containers, room temp outside 'frig. Dries out significantly if in 'frig and not well-sealed. Besides... nothing in

a VEGAN sushi will go bad enough to cause ill-health for days (if stored sealed at room temp, and it doesn't dry out)." In general, plant foods are far less of a worry for food poisoning, but rice will actually grow a lot of bacteria very quickly, so you do need to keep it refrigerated.I often make sushi for catering jobs. To avoid having to make it at the last minute (which = stress!!) I cover it with a damp cloth and then put it in a sealed plastic bag. Works really well.

Best wishesaliceOn 6/05/2010, at 1:28 AM, Mark Sutton wrote:

It took me around four tries to start getting a hang of it (considering how much, ahem, rolling I did in college, it surprises me it took this long). Making "maki sushi" (rolls that are sliced) is a fantastic say to not only make a quick low-fat vegan meal, but take advantage of left-overs in the 'frig.

Carrots, left-over cooked greens, cucumbers, radishes, asparagus, and more... all work. Gotta admit, it's a thrill to grab spinach and thin asparagus from the garden while the rice is cooking...

There are a ton of webpages out there that show you how to make maki sushi and measurements (use "The Goggle" Luke...).

Short brown rice works, but in all honestly, even though the sushi rice (white) is less nutritious, it's easier (in my experiences) to work with. I'm finally at a point where it's a reliable process and there's no stress in getting it right.

Here's my New Year's Eve selected photos of making sushi:

http://soulveggie.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/01/happy-new-year-some-vegan-sushi-pix.html

....and here's an article on sush (vegetarian) by Bittman in today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/dining/05mini.html?hpw

IMHO, worth the effort to master, and quite fun in implementation.

Finally, I don't have a favorite recipe. I don't use the sake and kombu, but just cook the rice per instructions on package or, if in bulk purchase, the same.

Don't be intimidated! It's not that hard (although I haven't tried doing the reverse rolls yet, with the rice on the outside....).

FYI, Mark