IndiaDivine.org

Livingston County Passes Pit Bull Ban

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Livingston County Passes Pit Bull Ban Some say pit bulls are dangerous, others say they've just gotten a bad rap. Jennifer Armstrong of Howell owns this two year old pit bull named Mya. She agrees with the later. "I've owned American bulldogs," Armstrong said. "I've owned pit bulls. Ijust love them." But after two people were mauled in Iosco Township last September, thedirector of the Livingston County Animal Control has been working forstricter laws for "bully breed" dogs. "If I did nothing, I couldn't look at myself in the morning," Anne Burns,director of the Livingston County Animal Control, said. Burns proposed a policy which discontinues adoptions of StaffordshireTerriers, American Bulldogs, Pit Bull Terriers, and American Pitt BullTerriers from the shelter. "I'm not banning pit bulls by any means," Burns said. "I'm just not going toadopt them out to the community that could be a potential for extreme harm." The policy, which was adopted by the Livingston County Board ofCommissioners Monday, also includes euthanizing the stray dogs picked up offthe streets within days if the owners don't claim them. But dog trainer Sami Sprague said the breed itself is not violent, it's theenvironment. "Breed specific legislation is not the answer we're looking for," Spraguesaid. "There are no bad dogs, only bad owners," Armstrong said. Armstrong said Mya is one of the lucky ones, because she was adopted fromthe shelter before this policy was passed. http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/19086779.html