IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: UPDATE: MN Puppy Mill Investigated (Pick of the Litter)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Companion Pet Lovers:

Thought you would find this article of interest...a HUGE thanks to BanOhioDogAuctions.com supporters, Deborah Howard and CAPS, for helping to lead this undercover investigation.

Mary O'Connor-Shaver

Cell: 614-271-8248

Columbus Top Dogs (Shure Pets)

http://www.columbustopdogs.com/

http://www.banohiodogauctions.com/

http://thoughtsfurpaws.com/

LEGISLATIVE ALERTS: Please visit our Home page for pending legislation impacting the welfare of OH animals - http://www.columbustopdogs.com/

I donate ALL profits from the sale of our premium products and accessories to local animal protection groups!

P.S. You or someone you know has requested you be added to the Columbus Top Dogs email list. If you do not want to receive emails from columbustopdogs.com, please reply and put "remove from list" in subject. Thank you!

POSTED: 1:28 pm EST November 7, 2008

UPDATED: 8:36 am EST November 10, 2008

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/17944821/index.html VideoPhotos: Local Pet Owners BOSTON -- Team 5 Investigates exposed a Minnesota puppy mill that has sent thousands of dogs to pet shops all over the country, including Massachusetts.   NewsCenter 5's Sean Kelly reported Sunday that because of the undercover video shot by an investigator for the Companion Animal Protection Society, the

owner of the puppy mill is now facing charges.   Fifteen hundred miles northwest of Massachusetts the relentless sound of barking can be heard from Pick of the Litter. There's no mistaking who's in charge. Kathy Bauck handles the leash for roughly 800 dogs at her Minnesota farm.     The undercover video which has been turned over to police, shows Bauck is cautious about people determined to shut down her family operation that has shipped hundreds of dogs to Massachusetts pet

shops for years.     "I've never met so many liars, cheats and thieves in my life as I have in the dog business," said Bauck.     In 2006, the Minnesota Board of Veterinary Medicine ordered Bauck to stop practicing veterinary medicine without a license. But she didn't. So last April, Bauck faced similar criminal charges, pleaded guilty to one count and spent five nights in jail.     "This isn't a woman who's going to learn. She was doing work release and she continued to commit cruel and atrocious acts," said Deborah Howard, president, Companion Animal Protection Society, a non profit organization based in Cohasset, Mass.     Dozens of dogs were left to suffer, including a mastiff whose leg was infected so badly he could barely stand. The undercover video shot by a CAPS investigator shows dogs that are sick, wounded and emaciated. "Kathy's most serious problem is denying veterinary care," said Howard.     Court records show a CAPS undercover investigator reported seeing Bauck torture a bichon while it was having difficulty giving birth, to try and save a potential puppy sale. "Kathy is reaching in with these clamps pulling the puppy out. She broke off its tail and she broke off its rear foot and of course it died. I can't even imagine the pain," said Howard. The mother dog hemorrhaged and eventually died.     Bauck told a CAPS investigator to dilute Clorox and rub it on the wounds of an injured bulldog. Now based on a CAPS investigation, Bauck is charged with practicing veterinary medicine without a license, animal cruelty and torture. She has pleaded not guilty to all charges.     Court documents also show that Bauck dunked her dogs in a tub of toxic insecticide diluted with water that is only supposed to be used on livestock to control mange. The label clearly lists the hazards to humans and domestic animals. "Irreversible eye damage.May be fatal if swallowed," and "harmful if absorbed through skin."     Bauck is seen in the undercover video cautioning her workers, "It stings if it gets in your eyes. It also stings in your private areas so

wash it off." But she didn't take any precautions with her animals. Bauck was shown soaking dogs in the dip, some of which were pregnant and nursing.     Dr. Sheila Drellich at Angell Animal Medical Center told Team 5 Investigates the treatments are not acceptable for dogs. "There basically is no safe amount when you talk about the irritant and corrosive effects on tissue," said Drellich.     Team 5 Investigates has learned the United States Department of Agriculture cited Bauck in the past for failing to provide adequate veterinary care, expired drugs and uncovered flooring. She was ordered to correct those violations immediately. Yet puppies' paws still fell through slats. "You can develop all sorts of wounds and fractures," said Drellich.     Bauck is seen in the undercover videotape trying to fool a federal inspector telling workers to put mats down in cages only when she's around. "And the minute she leaves we pull them up," said Bauck. She also wanted all unprescribed medication hidden. "All drugs out of site," said Bauck.     So who would want to buy puppies from a place like Pick of the Litter?   Team 5 Investigates discovered Bauck has shipped hundreds of dogs to area shops in the past year including Laughlin Kennel in Oxford, Precious Pups in Hudson and Elite Puppies and Grooming in Webster. All three shops say they stopped doing business with Bauck.     "Do you think these pet shops know who they're dealing with?" asked Kelly. "Reputable breeders do not sell to pet shops so it doesn't surprise me that pet shops buy from facilities like this," said Howard..   But it did surprise several owners we tracked down who said they had no idea about the stark puppy mill conditions from which their sick dogs came from. "It's terrible, it's terrible," said Susan Bussow.   "It makes me so angry and I just want them to shut her down permanently and never give her a license again," said Beth Christman.   Commissioner Doug Petersen oversees the state Department of Agriculture, the state agency in charge of policing Massachusetts pet shops. "If you had your way what would happen to Kathy Bauck's operation?" asked

Kelly. "No question about it, I'd shut her down in a heartbeat," said Petersen.     But Massachusetts can't shut Bauck down or stop her from selling puppies in the state because, believe it or not, Bauck is still licensed by the USDA. "There's really a callous indifference on their part with respect to the animal welfare act which is the federal law," said Howard. "I seriously disagree with the USDA's decision," said Petersen.     A spokesperson for the USDA said the agency found no violations at Bauck's farm during its last inspection in July. However the agency is now reviewing all of the undercover video taken by the CAPS investigator and will determine whether or not further action is warranted.     As for Kathy Bauck, she refused to be interviewed. Her attorney told Team 5 that his client treats all of her animals with compassion and care and that she does consult with a veterinarian. He also said the CAPS investigator fabricated all of the conditions to bring down his client. [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed] [image Removed]