IndiaDivine.org

TIME: Study: Is Vegetarianism a Teen Eating Disorder?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Why can't they leave vegetarianism alone? Leave it up to the media the researchers to guess about the results of the study. The kids are trying to save the planet and animals, and those in charge of reporting feel the need to create hysteria once again. To top if off, they go back to a study in 2001 to link their "suggestions" to this most recent study. There's a lot more awareness about the plight of animals and the environment today, so it's safe to say that kids' habits have changed for the good, in my opinion. I know firsthand this is true among the 20-yr-olds I know in Syracuse who are vegan.

Article: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1889742,00.html

"Although most teens in Robinson-O'Brien's study claimed to embark on vegetarianism to be healthier or to save the environment and the world's animals, the research suggests they may be more interested in losing weight than protecting cattle or swine."

"The authors suggest that parents and doctors should be extra vigilant when teens suddenly become vegetarians. They may say they're trying to protect the animals, but they may actually be trying to camouflage some unhealthy eating behaviors."

Lastly, since these kids are still eating chicken, they shouldn't be called vegetarians anyhow.

YOU CAN SEND IN COMMENTS to TIME at: letters

Guest guest

Interesting how they never asked the same thing about Atkins. *snerk*On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Deedee <d2or3 wrote:

Why can't they leave vegetarianism alone? Leave it up to the media the researchers to guess about the results of the study. The kids are trying to save the planet and animals, and those in charge of reporting feel the need to create hysteria once again. To top if off, they go back to a study in 2001 to link their " suggestions "  to this most recent study. There's a lot more awareness about the plight of animals and the environment today, so it's safe to say that kids' habits have changed for the good, in my opinion. I know firsthand this is true among the 20-yr-olds I know in Syracuse who are vegan.

Article: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1889742,00.html

" Although most teens in Robinson-O'Brien's study claimed to embark on vegetarianism to be healthier or to save the environment and the world's animals, the research suggests they may be more interested in losing weight than protecting cattle or swine. "

" The authors suggest that parents and doctors should be extra vigilant when teens suddenly become vegetarians. They may say they're trying to protect the animals, but they may actually be trying to camouflage some unhealthy eating behaviors. "

Lastly, since these kids are still eating chicken, they shouldn't be called vegetarians anyhow.

YOU CAN SEND IN COMMENTS to TIME at: letters

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com~Boston_Gothic

Boston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Yes! How unbalanced and unhealthy is that.

Jo

, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

>

> Interesting how they never asked the same thing about Atkins. *snerk*

>

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Deedee <d2or3 wrote:

>

> > Why can't they leave vegetarianism alone? Leave it up to the media the

> > researchers to guess about the results of the study. The kids are trying to

> > save the planet and animals, and those in charge of reporting feel the need

> > to create hysteria once again. To top if off, they go back to a study in

> > 2001 to link their " suggestions " to this most recent study. There's a lot

> > more awareness about the plight of animals and the environment today, so

> > it's safe to say that kids' habits have changed for the good, in my opinion.

> > I know firsthand this is true among the 20-yr-olds I know in Syracuse who

> > are vegan.

> >

> > *Article:* http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1889742,00.html

> >

> > * " Although most teens in Robinson-O'Brien's study claimed to embark on

> > vegetarianism to be healthier or to save the environment and the world's

> > animals, the research suggests they may be more interested in losing

> > weight than protecting cattle or swine. " *

> >

> > * " The authors suggest that parents and doctors should be extra vigilant

> > when teens suddenly become vegetarians. They may say they're trying to

> > protect the animals, but they may actually be trying to camouflage some

> > unhealthy eating behaviors. " *

> > **

> > Lastly, since these kids are still eating chicken, they shouldn't be called

> > vegetarians anyhow.

> >

> > *YOU CAN SEND IN COMMENTS to TIME at: **letters*<letters

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

> --

> AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> ~

> Boston_Gothic

> Boston_Mystic

> Boston-Pagans

>

Guest guest

Whatever the reason, going veggie/vegan will be helpful for you, the animals and the environment. I originally went veggie for health reasons (when I first heard about BSE), but since then it is for the other reasons as well.

Jo

-

Mercedez

Friday, April 10, 2009 8:25 PM

Re: TIME: "Study: Is Vegetarianism a Teen Eating Disorder?"

For me, it was mainly help saving animals, the environment AND health reasons (whether that was losing weight or being more healthier at the time). Thats why I became vegetarian when I was 16. Yes I knew obese teens who suddenly became vegetarian to help animals AND lose the unhealthy weight that was plaguing them. My question is.. who cares? Its not a eating disorder, its a thing of life. Who you are and will be.Mercedez

Guest guest

I liked this line from the article:

" (It could also be that vegetarians are hungrier in general...) "

It could be that the writer's biases affected his reporting.

Guest guest

Article Quote:"(It could also be that vegetarians are hungrier in general...)"Me:What?! We stopped eating meat back in December and both my husband and I agree that we have never felt better. We don't feel hungry - in fact, we feel very satisfied without that bloated, "oh please give me the syrup of ipecac so I can vomit," feeling we would have after eating a meal comprised of meat. I think the author of this particular article is clearly just intimidated by a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle and he is lashing out. Maybe HE is the one that is hungry?Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog“Because nothing worthwhile in this country has ever happened unless somebody, somewhere stood up when it was hard; stood up when they were told – no you can’t, and said yes we can.” Barack Obama

Guest guest

Definitely !!!

Jo

-

yarrow

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:54 AM

Re: Re: TIME: "Study: Is Vegetarianism a Teen Eating Disorder?"

I liked this line from the article:"(It could also be that vegetarians are hungrier in general...)"It could be that the writer's biases affected his reporting.