IndiaDivine.org

Family acceptance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hey all,

So far I have been received pretty well, although Nan sometimes whispers a quiet 'Still don't eat meat' in a vaguely hopeful, but mainly just wanting to get a rise out of me, kind of way.My step mother has been great, and always reminds my little sister, who insists on cooking a good meal when Ben and I come home, to separate the veggies from the roast and bake them in olive oil, and they always make a good salad too (she even bought me a gorgeous pasta serving bowl for christmas, with veggie pasta sauces, and spinach pasta - for extra iron).They have chooks too, and always send home several dozen eggs for us. I haven't been back since I became Vegan, but will still ask for the eggs for Ben. We always buy RSPCA eggs here, but Ben keeps forgetting to get them, I won't buy them for him. This way, we get good eggs, from excellently maintained chooks. Nan leaves me be, as I always get our food when staying with her, and she will often have what I am having - 'just for a taste' :*) Ben is excellent, even though it must be trying on him when we go out, but he always gets upset with the restaurant too, if all I can have is a plate of soggy microwaved veggies. Ben's family are funny, and always panic that there won't be food for me when I come to stay. But there is always a plate full of frozen veggies and rice or pasta, and plenty of salad or vegan spreads for sandwiches. And always a tin of asparagus in Mum's cupboard just for me ;*) My mother is fully supportive, but exasperated that she can't keep up with what I can and can't eat when she shouts for dinner. I think I have her organised though, and now she brings prepackaged stirfrys! My side of the family are happy to eat veggie, even vegan, but Ben never will, and I accept that. He accepts and supports me and my choices, and I accept him and his.

I think it may have been a little easier for my family though, as 6mths after I turned veggo I found out that I was lactose sensitive (sets of my sinuses, and triggers migraines). Seeing it as a medical thing stopped a lot of worry from my Nan, who still offers to buy me vitamin suppliments (always has though). When you cut milk and it's products out, it is not hard to cut out egg. No bought baked stuff etc...

I also plan to buy a little pamphlet brought out by the aussie vegan people which explains it all, and lists all known animal based food additives. I shall strategically place one in each household, so they can organise things right without worrying, and without having to guess or call every 5 mins.

__ IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - Click Here

Guest guest

hi all,

my mother tries really hard and buys vegan ingredients, fresh veg etc........she has even started to drink soya milk recently .......my gran cant make head or tail of it.........when i visited her at christmas she offered me........ macaroni cheese........which i declined diplomatically.........but i ended up eating two chocolate brazils to keep the pece.........and i am not supposed to eat them as i am diabetic.............and they werent vegan.........but she is so keen to be welcoming and she is 84 i find it very hard...........

my partner s family are terrible and see me being first a veggie and now a vegan as a sign of madness.............i have sat at his mothers kitchen table with nothing in front of me on countless occasions.........whilst they have all eaten............6 months ago i told him i will not visit at mealtimes at all any more.................sitting there with low blood sugar watching people eat is a form of torture...............

catherine xx

>"Chelle Whitaker"

> >

> Family acceptance >Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:17:10 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time) > >Hey all, > >So far I have been received pretty well, although Nan sometimes whispers a >quiet 'Still don't eat meat' in a vaguely hopeful, but mainly just wanting >to get a rise out of me, kind of way.My step mother has been great, and >always reminds my little sister, who insists on cooking a good meal when Ben >and I come home, to separate the veggies from the roast and bake them in >olive oil, and they always make a good salad too (she even bought me a >gorgeous pasta serving bowl for christmas, with veggie pasta sauces, and >spinach pasta - for extra iron).They have chooks too, and always send home >several dozen eggs for us. I haven't been back since I became Vegan, but >will still ask for the eggs for Ben. We always buy RSPCA eggs here, but Ben >keeps forgetting to get them, I won't buy them for him. This way, we get >good eggs, from excellently maintained chooks. Nan leaves me be, as I always >get our food when staying with her, and she will often have what I am having >- 'just for a taste' :*) Ben is excellent, even though it must be trying on >him when we go out, but he always gets upset with the restaurant too, if all >I can have is a plate of soggy microwaved veggies. Ben's family are funny, >and always panic that there won't be food for me when I come to stay. But >there is always a plate full of frozen veggies and rice or pasta, and plenty >of salad or vegan spreads for sandwiches. And always a tin of asparagus in >Mum's cupboard just for me ;*) My mother is fully supportive, but >exasperated that she can't keep up with what I can and can't eat when she >shouts for dinner. I think I have her organised though, and now she brings >prepackaged stirfrys! My side of the family are happy to eat veggie, even >vegan, but Ben never will, and I accept that. He accepts and supports me and >my choices, and I accept him and his. > >I think it may have been a little easier for my family though, as 6mths >after I turned veggo I found out that I was lactose sensitive (sets of my >sinuses, and triggers migraines). Seeing it as a medical thing stopped a lot >of worry from my Nan, who still offers to buy me vitamin suppliments (always >has though). When you cut milk and it's products out, it is not hard to cut >out egg. No bought baked stuff etc... > >I also plan to buy a little pamphlet brought out by the aussie vegan people which explains it all, and lists all known animal based food additives. I shall strategically place one in each household, so they can organise things right without worrying, and without having to guess or call every 5 mins. Send music and picture to your friends with MSN Messenger. Download it FREE here.

Guest guest

If you want to visit your partner's family, can you not take your own food? Tho, must admit, if people tried to treat me like that I'd take it as a sign they really didn't want me there. Does your partner not stand up for you? Can't believe they would also sit there & eat while you went hungry. It's disrespect at the very least.

Viv

Catherine Harris [cait2]Sunday, April 13, 2003 10:39 PM Subject: Re: Family acceptance

hi all,

my mother tries really hard and buys vegan ingredients, fresh veg etc........she has even started to drink soya milk recently .......my gran cant make head or tail of it.........when i visited her at christmas she offered me........ macaroni cheese........which i declined diplomatically.........but i ended up eating two chocolate brazils to keep the pece.........and i am not supposed to eat them as i am diabetic.............and they werent vegan.........but she is so keen to be welcoming and she is 84 i find it very hard...........

my partner s family are terrible and see me being first a veggie and now a vegan as a sign of madness.............i have sat at his mothers kitchen table with nothing in front of me on countless occasions.........whilst they have all eaten............6 months ago i told him i will not visit at mealtimes at all any more.................sitting there with low blood sugar watching people eat is a form of torture...............

catherine xx

Guest guest

Catherine,

Have you tried bringing yer own foods to these dinners?

I find this way people are more easily able to accept when yer are

eating with them. And the best part of it is that if you bring

enough, they can sample some of yer dishes too and realize that you

actually eat deliciouis foods that are better for you.

nikki :)

, " Catherine Harris " <cait2@h...>

wrote:hi all,

my mother tries really hard and buys vegan ingredients, fresh veg

etc........she has even started to drink soya milk recently .......my

gran cant make head or tail of it.........when i visited her at

christmas she offered me........ macaroni cheese........which i

declined diplomatically.........but i ended up eating two chocolate

brazils to keep the pece.........and i am not supposed to eat them as

i am diabetic.............and they werent vegan.........but she is so

keen to be welcoming and she is 84 i find it very hard...........

my partner s family are terrible and see me being first a veggie and

now a vegan as a sign of madness.............i have sat at his

mothers kitchen table with nothing in front of me on countless

occasions.........whilst they have all eaten............6 months ago

i told him i will not visit at mealtimes at all any

more.................sitting there with low blood sugar watching

people eat is a form of torture...............

catherine xx

Guest guest

can you make yer own meals?

that might go a long way to making things easier...

then you can still eat as a group/family, and have yer own food....

who knows, maybe the rest of the family will see how great yer dishes are and you'll gain converts!!!

:)

cheers

fraggle

n a message dated 4/13/03 2:47:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time, cait2 writes:

catherine xx

Guest guest

In a message dated 4/14/03 6:35:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, veggietart writes:

And wouldn't it be

weird to be eating your veggie jerky and meal bars while people are eating

whatever it is they have, not caring about your feelings?

*shrug*

not everyone is the most understandin in the universe....

some folks are just plan scared of change er things that go against thier belief systems..

makes it hard..

and if you are doin something different, then are they WRONG?? noo...couldn't be,,,..but..wot if..

see..scares folks

Guest guest

hi viv,

yes it has really happened like that........i see it partly my responsibility for not either saying i was offended when it first happened, or not going around at mealtimes after the first or second time it happened............my partner and i are from different cultures and for him to stand up for me against his family would be huge thing for him.............so its best to avoid the situation altogether.......

catherine

>"Viv"

> >

>RE: Family acceptance >Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:43:32 +0100 > >If you want to visit your partner's family, can you not take your own food? >Tho, must admit, if people tried to treat me like that I'd take it as a sign >they really didn't want me there. Does your partner not stand up for you? >Can't believe they would also sit there & eat while you went hungry. It's >disrespect at the very least. > >Viv > > > Catherine Harris [cait2] > Sunday, April 13, 2003 10:39 PM > > Re: Family acceptance > > > hi all, > > my mother tries really hard and buys vegan ingredients, fresh veg >etc........she has even started to drink soya milk recently .......my gran >cant make head or tail of it.........when i visited her at christmas she >offered me........ macaroni cheese........which i declined >diplomatically.........but i ended up eating two chocolate brazils to keep >the pece.........and i am not supposed to eat them as i am >diabetic.............and they werent vegan.........but she is so keen to be >welcoming and she is 84 i find it very hard........... > > my partner s family are terrible and see me being first a veggie and now a >vegan as a sign of madness.............i have sat at his mothers kitchen >table with nothing in front of me on countless occasions.........whilst they >have all eaten............6 months ago i told him i will not visit at >mealtimes at all any more.................sitting there with low blood sugar >watching people eat is a form of torture............... > > catherine xx > > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.471 / Virus Database: 269 - Release 10/04/03 Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. More info here.

Guest guest

It's amazing how mean people--especially family, the people who supposedly

love you (yeah, right)--can be when faced with a veg*an. And wouldn't it be

weird to be eating your veggie jerky and meal bars while people are eating

whatever it is they have, not caring about your feelings?

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

" Viv " <vc27

RE: Family acceptance

Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:43:32 +0100

If you want to visit your partner's family, can you not take your own food?

Tho, must admit, if people tried to treat me like that I'd take it as a sign

they really didn't want me there. Does your partner not stand up for you?

Can't believe they would also sit there & eat while you went hungry. It's

disrespect at the very least.

Viv

Catherine Harris [cait2]

Sunday, April 13, 2003 10:39 PM

Re: Family acceptance

hi all,

my mother tries really hard and buys vegan ingredients, fresh veg

etc........she has even started to drink soya milk recently .......my gran

cant make head or tail of it.........when i visited her at christmas she

offered me........ macaroni cheese........which i declined

diplomatically.........but i ended up eating two chocolate brazils to keep

the pece.........and i am not supposed to eat them as i am

diabetic.............and they werent vegan.........but she is so keen to be

welcoming and she is 84 i find it very hard...........

my partner s family are terrible and see me being first a veggie and now

a

vegan as a sign of madness.............i have sat at his mothers kitchen

table with nothing in front of me on countless occasions.........whilst they

have all eaten............6 months ago i told him i will not visit at

mealtimes at all any more.................sitting there with low blood sugar

watching people eat is a form of torture...............

catherine xx

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.471 / Virus Database: 269 - Release 10/04/03

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Guest guest

nikki,

that is a good suggestion...........i would have to put toe in the water about it to investigate whether taking my own food would offend them..................

catherine

>"nikki_mackovitch"

> > > Re: Family acceptance >Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:18:46 -0000 > >Catherine, > >Have you tried bringing yer own foods to these dinners? > >I find this way people are more easily able to accept when yer are >eating with them. And the best part of it is that if you bring >enough, they can sample some of yer dishes too and realize that you >actually eat deliciouis foods that are better for you. > >nikki :) > > , "Catherine Harris"

>wrote:hi all, > >my mother tries really hard and buys vegan ingredients, fresh veg >etc........she has even started to drink soya milk recently .......my >gran cant make head or tail of it.........when i visited her at >christmas she offered me........ macaroni cheese........which i >declined diplomatically.........but i ended up eating two chocolate >brazils to keep the pece.........and i am not supposed to eat them as >i am diabetic.............and they werent vegan.........but she is so >keen to be welcoming and she is 84 i find it very hard........... > >my partner s family are terrible and see me being first a veggie and >now a vegan as a sign of madness.............i have sat at his >mothers kitchen table with nothing in front of me on countless >occasions.........whilst they have all eaten............6 months ago >i told him i will not visit at mealtimes at all any >more.................sitting there with low blood sugar watching >people eat is a form of torture............... > >catherine xx > > > It's fast, it's easy and it's free! Click here to download MSN Messenger

Guest guest

Jo and Nikki have written some very poignant and inspiring stuff around this under the thread Vegans and Marriage (I think). It certainly made me think.

EBbrewpunx wrote:

In a message dated 4/14/03 6:35:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, veggietart writes:

And wouldn't it be weird to be eating your veggie jerky and meal bars while people are eating whatever it is they have, not caring about your feelings?*shrug*not everyone is the most understandin in the universe....some folks are just plan scared of change er things that go against thier belief systems..makes it hard..and if you are doin something different, then are they WRONG?? noo...couldn't be,,,..but..wot if..see..scares folks To send an email to -