IndiaDivine.org

Reality shows and animal rights?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Okay, I have a question. I know whenever an animal is in a movie, if you watch the credits at the end, you'll see the part that says, "No animals were harmed in the making of this film,..." because the human society, was on the set. But what about these reality/talk shows? Remember in that show, Survivor, (the first one), where people had a contest of who could eat bugs the fastest? First they had to bite off the heads, then devour them.(It was an actual game!) Fear Factor regularly has contestants stick their heads in a tank full of snakes, bugs, and what not. Then just 2 days ago, I was watching a talk show, and contestants were trying to win a vacation package or something, and they had to give themselves demented spa treatments to win the vacation: cover their hands in honey, and rub pig and sheep fat all over their faces.---I wanted to watch to see if they would actually go through with it, but I couldn't stomach it. Then, two other contestants had to make pizzas, disgusting pizzas. They had to use ingredients such as fish eyeballs, and animals intestines to make their pizzas. (They were competing over a pair of diamond earrings.) --------Am I crazy, or is television getting sicker, and sicker??? Now, I know most people care more about live animals, cows, pigs, and sheep, etc., but what about exploiting insects, (like roaches), or animal parts, (like fish eyeballs). Doesn't that go along with animals rights too? Does anyone "boycott" these kind of Reality/Talk Shows? Do groups like PETA define these shows as animal cruelty? Talk to me, somebody.

*This message was brought to you by: Amy

Protect your PC - Click here for McAfee.com VirusScan Online

Guest guest

yeah...how fear factor has stayed on is beyond me

i wonder how many critters die in that show, no, i'm not talkin about cows er the like..i'm talking about the lil critters, like spiders and such they foist on people..."hey, lets stick people in a cramped cage with tarantulas"....how many die from the strees, er are crushed er....

Guest guest

To be honest, I cannot believe that Fear Factor is still on! I like

watching the show for the stunts part, but the eating part bothers me

to no end. It isn't that it is disgusting either, it's that they are

doing this to animals that disgusts me. I am sure the producers would

argue that the animals weren;t killed specifically for the show and

the parts they are using are from animals used for food, but still.

It's horrific!

I would love to know how to get this show off the air!

nikki :)

With our thoughts we make the world.

Buddha

, " Amylia F " <amylia_21@h...> wrote:

>

Guest guest

I wish I knew, Amy. Although, on one Survivor, the guy who killed the pig

and smeared his blood got burned (literally) a few episodes later. I wish

PETA were more vocal on this issue, although, right now, they're taking on

Kentucky Fried Corpses for the way they treat the chickens. Check their Web

site. You might be able to suggest that they DO something about these

disgusting reality shows.

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

" Amylia F " <amylia_21

A-VEGAN-PLACE , ,

vegchristian

Reality shows and animal rights?

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:51:53 -0700

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

Okay, I have a question. I know whenever an animal is in a movie, if you watch the credits at the end, you'll see the part that says, "No animals were harmed in the making of this film,..." because the human society, was on the set. But what about these reality/talk shows? Remember in that show, Survivor, (the first one), where people had a contest of who could eat bugs the fastest? First they had to bite off the heads, then devour them.(It was an actual game!) Fear Factor regularly has contestants stick their heads in a tank full of snakes, bugs, and what not. Then just 2 days ago, I was watching a talk show, and contestants were trying to win a vacation package or something, and they had to give themselves demented spa treatments to win the vacation: cover their hands in honey, and rub pig and sheep fat all over their faces.---I wanted to watch to see if they would actually go through with it, but I couldn't stomach it. Then, two other contestants had to make pizzas, disgusting pizzas. They had to use ingredients such as fish eyeballs, and animals intestines to make their pizzas. (They were competing over a pair of diamond earrings.) --------Am I crazy, or is television getting sicker, and sicker??? Now, I know most people care more about live animals, cows, pigs, and sheep, etc., but what about exploiting insects, (like roaches), or animal parts, (like fish eyeballs). Doesn't that go along with animals rights too? Does anyone "boycott" these kind of Reality/Talk Shows? Do groups like PETA define these shows as animal cruelty? Talk to me, somebody.

Protect your PC - Click here for McAfee.com VirusScan Online

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Amilya

> Okay, I have a question. I know whenever an animal is in a movie, if you watch the credits at the end, you'll see the part

> that says, "No animals were harmed in the making of this film,..."

I've always wondered how they can get away with putting that, when most of the costumes (which are usually comissioned and made specifically for the film) include leather shoes and accessories, and people are often seen eating meat or dairy products. That to me seems like animals have been harmed in the making of the film!

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

Amylia

I boycott these shows and lots of others too. I watch only a few programmes - mostly I listen to music instead. I have seen the adverts for these programmes and things like Temptation Island, and no way would I watch them. I haven't really got much to say, except there are better things to do than watch a load of rubbish. It is sad that the programmes are popular, but all you can do is make people question why they watch them, and hope they will find something more worthwhile to do. I always thought television could have been used for such good purposes - educational and harmless fun. Unfortunately it has become a means of offering nothing much other than rubbish, not all harmless either.

Jo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

Danielle

Also, you (or anyone) can contact PETA and become a letter-writer for them

(as I am). They will keep you informed of the latest goings-on so that you

can write letters.

Jo

-

" Danielle Kichler " <veggietart

Saturday, April 26, 2003 4:11 PM

Re: Reality shows and animal rights?

> I wish I knew, Amy. Although, on one Survivor, the guy who killed the pig

> and smeared his blood got burned (literally) a few episodes later. I wish

> PETA were more vocal on this issue, although, right now, they're taking on

> Kentucky Fried Corpses for the way they treat the chickens. Check their

Web

> site. You might be able to suggest that they DO something about these

> disgusting reality shows.

>

> Danielle

>

>

>

> " You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette

Rankin

>

>

>

>

>

> ----Original Message Follows----

> " Amylia F " <amylia_21

>

> A-VEGAN-PLACE , ,

> vegchristian

> Reality shows and animal rights?

> Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:51:53 -0700

>

>

>

> _______________

> Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.

> http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Peter,

You know what? You are absolutely right. I never thought of it that way before. Thanks for the insight.

>"Peter"

> >

>Re: Reality shows and animal rights? >Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:42:58 +0100 > >Hi Amilya > > > Okay, I have a question. I know whenever an animal is in a movie, if you watch the credits at the end, you'll see the part > > that says, "No animals were harmed in the making of this film,..." > >I've always wondered how they can get away with putting that, when most of the costumes (which are usually comissioned and made specifically for the film) include leather shoes and accessories, and people are often seen eating meat or dairy products. That to me seems like animals have been harmed in the making of the film! > >BB >Peter > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03 Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

Guest guest

Excellent point Peter!

nikki :)

With our thoughts we make the world.

Buddha

, " Peter " <Snowbow@b...> wrote:

> Hi Amilya

>

> > Okay, I have a question. I know whenever an animal is in a

movie, if you watch the credits at the end, you'll see the part

> > that says, " No animals were harmed in the making of this film,... "

>

> I've always wondered how they can get away with putting that, when

most of the costumes (which are usually comissioned and made

specifically for the film) include leather shoes and accessories, and

people are often seen eating meat or dairy products. That to me seems

like animals have been harmed in the making of the film!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03