IndiaDivine.org

forcing diets on our pets.......

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

hi all,

just read email from someone who said whilst they wield the can opener, do the shopping, etc, that they feel they have the right to impose their idea ofdiet on their pet??

i think this is outrageous.........with this same principle, could we all justify imposing our choice of diet on to start with our pets, or animals in our care, ill people, elders, disabled people, people in hospitals, people with mental health issues.........

and, when we are elders, and in residential care, would we like it if the carers idea of what we should eat either vegan or culturally, was imposed on us????????

power can be an excuse for ignoring ethics, opinions, wishes and desires......

and of course a cat cant talk...........but put the choices of food available out on seperate dishes for her to choose........and see which one she chooses!!!!!!!!!!!

love and freedom to all.........

catherine xx

>Mauricio de la Vega

> > > New to veganism... new to group... >Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:18:51 -0700 (PDT) > >Hi guys and gals, > >I just wanted to finally say hello... I've been vegan >for about a month now... the change happened after a >discussion in my deep ecology class... after thinking >about things for a little bit i realized that i could >not consider myself to be compassionate to animals and >an animal lover if I myself supported the torture and >cruelty to our non-human friends... i was thus left >with the weak decision (nonaction) and the courageous >decision (active veganism)... since i've become vegan, >my parents have been quite supportive... they have >even given up eating meat... something that was once >done without a second thought is now given >consideration and compassion wins... my girlfriend has >also been supportive of me though her family has >not... almost every time i see them they mention that >i look thinner (bullsh*t) and they ask me if i can eat >a certain food item... "can you eat egg whites?", they >ask...no", is my typical response... "why not?", >they reply... and thus the debate begins... in fact, i >entered into a heated 4.5 hour debate with her father >on why i was vegan... it's incredible how this man >defended the actions of those who choose to torture >and harvest the lives of the weak while still >considering himself against cruelty... in the past >month since i've become vegan i have been studying up >on many different arguements for the lifestyle... it >was interesting to note that at several points during >the debate we both claimed that the fact we had just >agreed to supported our own views.... it got very >messy and i thought he was gonna hit me at one >point... that would've been funny cause i was actually >hoping for it... this man's blind defense brought out >my inner rage.... he actually thought that my >boycotting meat and educating others was going to do >nothing... that if i really wanted to do something >about the cruelty, i should invent a better way of >killing the animals to make meat... or that i should >work to create new laws... but education and the power >of the dollar would NEVER do anything... he claimed to >be against suffering because he donates some money to >animal shelters (which is a good thing)... but i told >him that it is rather hypocritical of him to support >an industry that allows inhumane death and torture in >greater numbers than the halocaust (and he's >jewish)... i will not stop the good fight... > >on another note... don't forget, veganism isn't a >search for personal purity, it is a means to end >cruelty... both human and non-human alike.... > >btw, anyone know of any good places to volunteer in >south florida? i want to be active... > >thanks for listening.... > >be good, > >-Mo > > > >The New Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo >http://search. > Protect your PC from e-mail viruses. Get MSN 8 today.

Guest guest

ah the pet question

always a dilly

some folks think we shouldn't have pets...that we are puttin the lil critters in a subservient position and the like.

some folks believe you should only feed yer pets vegan food...

some think, hey, its an animal, they are suppose to eat dead things(assuming you have a dog/cat/eagle/tasmanian devil et al)

me? i wobble the line

i'd like my children to be as vegan as possible, as long as it keeps them healthy...its hard, since, if yer feedin yer kids meat, you are just perpetuatin more animal suffering, and that bag of meaty dog kibble was a cow at one point, and probably a dog along the way as well(mainstream dog and cat food is pretty rank...)

tho, my cat has been with me fer 14 yrs..a lot longer then most of my other friends..and, alas, he looks at veg cat with utter disdain, when he isn't upchuckin it on my bed to show his utter mocking of vegan cat food....

so my choice have a sick unhappy cat, er feed him the healthiest things he will eat...not an easy choice..

when i had dogs, they got vegan dog food and did fine....and the hamsters are more then happy to forgo t-bones and brisket....

fraggle

Guest guest

You read it wrong. Read the original and the reply again. Of course we are imposing a diet on the animals we care for if they get all their food from us. How can it be otherwise? We buy or grow or catch etc their food and we present it to them. I "imposed" a vegan diet on my 2 dogs when I got them this year. One, who I was told was a "fussy eater" was little more than skin and bone - looked like the cruelty cases you see pictures of. She just flatly refused to eat the food. The other dog ate it eventually but it just caused problems so they are now back on the diet they are used to, meat. Of course, I could have carried on offering them the vegan diet but I very much doubt if the 14 year old would have been around now. As it is, she's thriving. I do, however, feel unable to criticise others on their choice of diet when feeding a similar one to these animals of mine.

Viv

Catherine Harris [cait2]Sunday, April 27, 2003 12:55 AM Subject: Re: forcing diets on our pets.......

hi all,

just read email from someone who said whilst they wield the can opener, do the shopping, etc, that they feel they have the right to impose their idea ofdiet on their pet??

i think this is outrageous.........with this same principle, could we all justify imposing our choice of diet on to start with our pets, or animals in our care, ill people, elders, disabled people, people in hospitals, people with mental health issues.........

and, when we are elders, and in residential care, would we like it if the carers idea of what we should eat either vegan or culturally, was imposed on us????????

and of course a cat cant talk...........but put the choices of food available out on seperate dishes for her to choose........and see which one she chooses!!!!!!!!!!!

catherine xx

Guest guest

Hi Catherine

> just read email from someone who said whilst they wield the can opener, do the shopping, etc, that they feel they have the

> right to impose their idea ofdiet on their pet??

I think you missed the point. Whatever you feed to your pet, you are imposing your choice of diet on them. If you feed them meat, you are imposing a meat based diet on them. As far as I know, humans have not yet mastered the art of understanding animals to the extent necessary to understand what they would like in their dinner bowl, and since animals can't go and do the shopping or open the cans, they don't have any *ability* to make that decision for themselves.

Or are you suggesting that we should not feed pets at all, and let them scavange their own food as best they can?

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on their children. When my children were young I noticed that most children were forced to eat what was put in front of them and were not allowed to make choices.

Jo

-

Viv

Sunday, April 27, 2003 9:28 AM

RE: forcing diets on our pets.......

You read it wrong. Read the original and the reply again. Of course we are imposing a diet on the animals we care for if they get all their food from us. How can it be otherwise? We buy or grow or catch etc their food and we present it to them. I "imposed" a vegan diet on my 2 dogs when I got them this year. One, who I was told was a "fussy eater" was little more than skin and bone - looked like the cruelty cases you see pictures of. She just flatly refused to eat the food. The other dog ate it eventually but it just caused problems so they are now back on the diet they are used to, meat. Of course, I could have carried on offering them the vegan diet but I very much doubt if the 14 year old would have been around now. As it is, she's thriving. I do, however, feel unable to criticise others on their choice of diet when feeding a similar one to these animals of mine.

Viv

Catherine Harris [cait2]Sunday, April 27, 2003 12:55 AM Subject: Re: forcing diets on our pets.......

hi all,

catherine xx

To send an email to -

Guest guest

> I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on their children. When my children were young I noticed

> that most children were forced to eat what was put in front of them and were not allowed to make choices.

It always astonishes me that you hear people saying "if you had children, would you force a vegan diet on them". My response is "surely you don't force your children to eat a diet of dead animals"

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

-

Peter

Monday, April 28, 2003 5:56 PM

Re: forcing diets on our pets.......

> I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on their children. >

I wonder if a child would choose to eat an animal once they had seen the animal and pattered it and then having to see the animals trip to a slaughter house and the whole process until the poor animal reaches the poor childs plate.

Simon>

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

-

Peter

> I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on their children.>

I wonder how many children would choose to eat an animal once they had seen the animal close up and even pattered the animal and then having to see the poor animals trip to the slaughter house and the rest of the process to the poor childs plate.

Maybe schools could take the kids out on a day trip to the slaughter houses..... I'm sure that would be a real eye opener for them.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

Not only would the child become immediately vegan, but he or she would also probably need therapy, after witnessing the brutal murder/slaughter of the animal.

*This message was brought to you by: Amy

>"simonpjones"

> >

>Re: forcing diets on our pets....... >Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:08:10 +0100 > > > - > Peter > > Monday, April 28, 2003 5:56 PM > Re: forcing diets on our pets....... > > > > I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on their children. > > > I wonder if a child would choose to eat an animal once they had seen the animal and pattered it and then having to see the animals trip to a slaughter house and the whole process until the poor animal reaches the poor childs plate. > > Simon> > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03 > >

Guest guest

Hi,

>It always astonishes me that you hear people saying " if you had children,

>would you force a vegan diet on them " . My response is " surely you don't

>force your children to eat a diet of dead animals "

Yes. And I'd have loved to have been a vegan from birth. It must be a

wonderful feeling to be able to say that never in your life have you used or

eaten an animal product. It seems to me that it would be better to raise a

child vegan and give them the choice to change when they grow older, than

vice versa. But then I guess it would seem that way to me!

John

-

" Peter " <Snowbow

> I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on

their children. When my children were young I noticed

> that most children were forced to eat what was put in front of them and

were not allowed to make choices.

It always astonishes me that you hear people saying " if you had children,

would you force a vegan diet on them " . My response is " surely you don't

force your children to eat a diet of dead animals "

BB

Peter

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

>Maybe schools could take the kids out on a day trip to the slaughter houses..... I'm sure that would be a real eye opener for them.

A school trip to the battery hen farm was enough to turn me off eggs & eating chicken. I remember being very disturbed about the experience for a long time. In a short time I became vegetarian. I always had a problem with eggs as a vegetarian, one reason for me becoming vegan. But when I became vegetarian - 20yrs ago - I didn't know about veganism.

Jani.

-

simonpjones

Monday, April 28, 2003 8:20 PM

-

Peter

> I wonder if people ponder so much on whether they are forcing a diet on their children.>

I wonder how many children would choose to eat an animal once they had seen the animal close up and even pattered the animal and then having to see the poor animals trip to the slaughter house and the rest of the process to the poor childs plate.

Maybe schools could take the kids out on a day trip to the slaughter houses..... I'm sure that would be a real eye opener for them.

Guest guest

-

janewwt

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 10:16 AM

>Maybe schools could take the kids out on a day trip to the slaughter houses..... I'm sure that would be a real eye opener for them.

A school trip to the battery hen farm was enough to turn me off eggs & eating chicken.

Jani.>

when I was a kid a neighour gutted a rabbit in front of me that put me off eating rabbits. I still believed meat was necessary and hadn't even heard of vegetatrianism.

Simon

-

simonpjones

-

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Simon

> I wonder how many children would choose to eat an animal once they had seen the animal close up and even pattered the animal

> and then having to see the poor animals trip to the slaughter house and the rest of the process to the poor childs plate.

> Maybe schools could take the kids out on a day trip to the slaughter houses..... I'm sure that would be a real eye opener for

> them.

Y'know, you've just brought back a horrific memory - I can't remember why, but at first school, one of the teachers brought in a Bull's eye - I remember feeling particularly sick at the sight. Of course, it was never connected with the beef on the plate, so as a child it never crossed my mind that it was part of the same thing!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

It would be a good eye-opener - but can you imagine the reaction of the parents!!!

Jo

-

simonpjones

-

Peter

Guest guest

John - I really agree with that - it would be good never to have eaten an

animal.

Jo

> Yes. And I'd have loved to have been a vegan from birth. It must be a

> wonderful feeling to be able to say that never in your life have you used

or

> eaten an animal product. It seems to me that it would be better to raise a

> child vegan and give them the choice to change when they grow older, than

> vice versa. But then I guess it would seem that way to me!

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

-

" Heartwork " <Heartwork

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:41 PM

I've met a few people mainly indian who say they've never eaten meat.

I look back on my non-veggie days as not really been living, more like

destructive times.

Si >

> John - I really agree with that - it would be good never to have eaten an

> animal.

>

> Jo

>

> > Yes. And I'd have loved to have been a vegan from birth. It must be a

> > wonderful feeling to be able to say that never in your life have you

used

> or

> > eaten an animal product. It seems to me that it would be better to raise

a

> > child vegan and give them the choice to change when they grow older,

than

> > vice versa. But then I guess it would seem that way to me!

>

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

-

Peter

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 5:46 PM

Hi Simon

> I wonder how many children would choose to eat an animal once they had seen the animal close up and even pattered the animal

> and then having to see the poor animals trip to the slaughter house and the rest of the process to the poor childs plate.

> Maybe schools could take the kids out on a day trip to the slaughter houses..... I'm sure that would be a real eye opener for

> them.

Y'know, you've just brought back a horrific memory - I can't remember why, but at first school, one of the teachers brought in a Bull's eye - I remember feeling particularly sick at the sight. Of course, it was never connected with the beef on the plate, so as a child it never crossed my mind that it was part of the same thing!

BB

Peter

I lived around cows for a few yrs as a kid yet didn't really acknowledge that i was eating them or it was wrongl. Everyone i knew..... as far as i was concerned ate meat....

I admire those who refused meat as kids... and stuck with it against their parents... that shows real character.

Simon ---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

That's exactly how we felt about it and why we decided to raise our

daughter vegan right from the start. If she chooses to eat meat

when she's old enough to make her own choices and buy her own food

then that's her decision, but I'd rather start her off healthy and

give her the best start possible. So far we haven't received any

flack about it from anyone at all. (She's only 8 months old though,

I'm sure there will be lots of time for that).

Jewel

>

> Yes. And I'd have loved to have been a vegan from birth. It must

be a

> wonderful feeling to be able to say that never in your life have

you used or

> eaten an animal product. It seems to me that it would be better to

raise a

> child vegan and give them the choice to change when they grow

older, than

> vice versa. But then I guess it would seem that way to me!

>

> John

Guest guest

We had to dissect a bulls eye & rat for O' Level biology. Because I just couldn't do it as I was so upset I had to do CSE bio instead. I believe its different now..?

Jani

-

Peter

Hi Simon

> them.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi im new to this site,so if your confused by my mail sorry! Just wanted to say don't know if its different in schools now as far as dissecting goes,but i wouldn't trust any school.Before i started secondary school we got in touch with the school to make sure we wouldnt be doing any such stuff,they said no. Anyway after my first year one lesson we had to dissect a fish,i couldn't believe it,i of course i refused and new i wouldn't be faulted by my mum if got into any trouble.I didn't mind sitting at the back of the class away from everyone else,besides my friend decided to join me,we were the outsiders but i didn't care!

janewwt wrote:

We had to dissect a bulls eye & rat for O' Level biology. Because I just couldn't do it as I was so upset I had to do CSE bio instead. I believe its different now..?

Jani

-

Peter

Hi Simon

> them.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

-

" Jewel " <gimmiesomemirth

Wednesday, April 30, 2003 5:53 AM

I've often wondered when I've heard babies screaming their heads off, like

they're in the pain of their lives.. whether it's somethings to do with

what they're eating rather than a cry for food or attention.

Simon

> That's exactly how we felt about it and why we decided to raise our

> daughter vegan right from the start. If she chooses to eat meat

> when she's old enough to make her own choices and buy her own food

> then that's her decision, but I'd rather start her off healthy and

> give her the best start possible. So far we haven't received any

> flack about it from anyone at all. (She's only 8 months old though,

> I'm sure there will be lots of time for that).

>

> Jewel

>

>

> >

> > Yes. And I'd have loved to have been a vegan from birth. It must

> be a

> > wonderful feeling to be able to say that never in your life have

> you used or

> > eaten an animal product. It seems to me that it would be better to

> raise a

> > child vegan and give them the choice to change when they grow

> older, than

> > vice versa. But then I guess it would seem that way to me!

> >

> > John

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Fraggle,

How did you manage to have pets on the rock?

> ah the pet question

>always a dilly

>some folks think we shouldn't have pets...that we are puttin the lil critters

>in a subservient position and the like.

>some folks believe you should only feed yer pets vegan food...

>some think, hey, its an animal, they are suppose to eat dead things(assuming

>you have a dog/cat/eagle/tasmanian devil et al)

>me? i wobble the line

>i'd like my children to be as vegan as possible, as long as it keeps them

>healthy...its hard, since, if yer feedin yer kids meat, you are just

>perpetuatin more animal suffering, and that bag of meaty dog kibble was a cow

>at one point, and probably a dog along the way as well(mainstream dog and cat

>food is pretty rank...)

>tho, my cat has been with me fer 14 yrs..a lot longer then most of my other

>friends..and, alas, he looks at veg cat with utter disdain, when he isn't

>upchuckin it on my bed to show his utter mocking of vegan cat food....

>so my choice have a sick unhappy cat, er feed him the healthiest things he

>will eat...not an easy choice..

>when i had dogs, they got vegan dog food and did fine....and the hamsters are

>more then happy to forgo t-bones and brisket....

>fraggle

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

Guest guest

-

<swpgh01

Saturday, May 03, 2003 3:12 PM

>

....)

> >tho, my cat has been with me fer 14 yrs..a lot longer then most of my

other

> >friends..and, alas, he looks at veg cat with utter disdain, >

Did u try to feed the cat veg-feed after it was addicted to whiskeys or some

other purposely made addictive cat food? because I know someone who says he

had a kitten which he weaned to eat virtuely everything he ate for 27

years... vegetables mainly...fish about once a month. and the cat didn't

died of old age but was put down from an accident he had. He says the vet

said he was the oldest cat he had seen.This person is not saying the cat was

vegan.... It would be interesting to see how cats fair on a vegan -diet from

birth. I would rather that then cats eating other animals.

Simon

Guest guest

-

quercusrobur2002

Saturday, May 03, 2003 6:05 PM

> Did u try to feed the cat veg-feed after it was addicted to whiskeys Jack Daniels? Bells? Teachers? Lucky cat!

My female cat prefers neat vodka, the male* likes Powerzone, but our (killed) cat used to like pink-gin - he was the Julian Clary of the cat world.

Actually, Raffles*likes tofu, scheese, cous-cous & beans as well as large quantities of cat-nip. So he has a very balanced diet.

JaniTo send an email to -