IndiaDivine.org

Muslims and Halil meat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

i guess its all a matter of degree

i'm sure the "house slaves" got treated a whole lot better then the slaves who worked in the cotton field

halaal and kosher might be more..humane..but in the end, dead is dead, and murder is murder, no matter how you slice it

oh, and just to throw it out there, in a strict sense, any meat not halaal is considered hiraam..which is basically carrion...

Guest guest

I was thinking about this, I am vegan and I am not Muslim, but I have friends who are Muslim and they can only eat meat that is "Halil" I believe is how you spell it, or in other words it is supposed to be killed more humanely. This is based in the thought that animals should be treated with great respect as the prophet Mohammad advocated, and that is an animal is killed it should be as quick and painless as possible. I have heard that sometimes muslims will eat Kosher meat if Halil is not available, but I do not know much about Kosher meat.

Anyone have any opinions? Do you think this is more humane than factory farmed and killed meat?

Of course I take things to more of an extreme like those on this board and think, why make an animal suffer if we can eat vegetarian and be healthy?

:) Siobhan

The New Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

Guest guest

Well, kosher meat is also slaughtered in a certain fashion, and it cannot be

ill. If an animal shows signs of illness, it cannot be eaten. I'm not

seriously up on the kosher thing--it's been a long time--but it's what I

remember.

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

Surya Burdick <californiagnomes

Muslims and Halil meat

Tue, 6 May 2003 17:12:19 -0700 (PDT)

I was thinking about this, I am vegan and I am not Muslim, but I have

friends who are Muslim and they can only eat meat that is " Halil " I believe

is how you spell it, or in other words it is supposed to be killed more

humanely. This is based in the thought that animals should be treated with

great respect as the prophet Mohammad advocated, and that is an animal is

killed it should be as quick and painless as possible. I have heard that

sometimes muslims will eat Kosher meat if Halil is not available, but I do

not know much about Kosher meat. Anyone have any opinions? Do you think this

is more humane than factory farmed and killed meat? Of course I take things

to more of an extreme like those on this board and think, why make an animal

suffer if we can eat vegetarian and be healthy? :) Siobhan

The New Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

w

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Guest guest

Halal (or however you spell it) is supposed to be killed more humanely but that also means they don't believe in stunning the animals before killing them. I think cattle are put into some sort of contraption that turns them upside down, then their throats are slit. Though having a metal bolt or electric current shot into your brain can't be a lot of fun either. There are studies showing that animals feel pain after stunning but not after having their throats cut (http://pages.britishlibrary.net/smb/halal.htm).

There are several Kosher rules regarding which animals are okay to eat, and not eating meat & milk together, stuff like that. Copied this from a kosher web site (http://www.kosher.org.uk/what.htm): Kosher meat and poultry must be prepared by the hallowed method of shechitah - a swift cut by a razor-sharp knife - which Jews believe to be the most painless means of slaughtering the animal. After shechitah, the animal must undergo a thorough inspection (bediko) to check if there are any blemishes which according to Jewish law render it unkosher. The lungs of cattle and intestines of chickens are always checked.

Not that I agree with any of it of course - just looked it up on Google...

Viv

Surya Burdick [californiagnomes]Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:12 AM Subject: Muslims and Halil meat

I was thinking about this, I am vegan and I am not Muslim, but I have friends who are Muslim and they can only eat meat that is "Halil" I believe is how you spell it, or in other words it is supposed to be killed more humanely. This is based in the thought that animals should be treated with great respect as the prophet Mohammad advocated, and that is an animal is killed it should be as quick and painless as possible. I have heard that sometimes muslims will eat Kosher meat if Halil is not available, but I do not know much about Kosher meat.

Anyone have any opinions? Do you think this is more humane than factory farmed and killed meat?

Of course I take things to more of an extreme like those on this board and think, why make an animal suffer if we can eat vegetarian and be healthy?

Guest guest

As far as I know, "Halal" means that the animal has been killed by some religious muslim butcher facing Mecca, etc. I visited an abattoir on the outskirts of Melbourne once, and a Rabbi there had been doing "Kosher" killings all mornings, which involves putting the (conscious) cow in a head-restraining device, turing it upside down and slitting its throat until the animal bleeds to death.(Jews believe you're supposed to totally drain the animal of blood, which is impossible). The Rabbi was sitting having a break, and he was covered from head to foot in blood: blood on his skull cap, blood clotted in his beard, blood all over his face and clothes. I stared at this vision from hell, and pondered on the casual barbarity of our species. Trust me, neither religion gives a toss about animal cruelty.

Tom

-

Surya Burdick

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 5:12 PM

Muslims and Halil meat

The New Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. To send an email to -

Guest guest

I don't know anything about Islam but surely they can be vegan.

Jo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

When I was a child I remember there was an abbatoir in our local town and the pigs had their throats slit and were hung upside down to bleed to death with their blood going down the drain in the footpath. The animals took a while to die. It was easy to see the pain and fear in their eyes, and to feel it for yourself. It was a disgusting sight, and one I will never forget.

Jo

As far as I know, "Halal" means that the animal has been killed by some religious muslim butcher facing Mecca, etc. I visited an abattoir on the outskirts of Melbourne once, and a Rabbi there had been doing "Kosher" killings all mornings, which involves putting the (conscious) cow in a head-restraining device, turing it upside down and slitting its throat until the animal bleeds to death.(Jews believe you're supposed to totally drain the animal of blood, which is impossible). The Rabbi was sitting having a break, and he was covered from head to foot in blood: blood on his skull cap, blood clotted in his beard, blood all over his face and clothes. I stared at this vision from hell, and pondered on the casual barbarity of our species. Trust me, neither religion gives a toss about animal cruelty.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

Guest guest

Of course, Muslims and Jews do not eat the flesh of a pig, nor do they eat

shellfish.

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

" Heartwork " <Heartwork

Re: Muslims and Halil meat

Sat, 10 May 2003 19:06:56 +0100

When I was a child I remember there was an abbatoir in our local town and

the pigs had their throats slit and were hung upside down to bleed to death

with their blood going down the drain in the footpath. The animals took a

while to die. It was easy to see the pain and fear in their eyes, and to

feel it for yourself. It was a disgusting sight, and one I will never

forget.

Jo

As far as I know, " Halal " means that the animal has been killed by some

religious muslim butcher facing Mecca, etc. I visited an abattoir on the

outskirts of Melbourne once, and a Rabbi there had been doing " Kosher "

killings all mornings, which involves putting the (conscious) cow in a

head-restraining device, turing it upside down and slitting its throat until

the animal bleeds to death.(Jews believe you're supposed to totally drain

the animal of blood, which is impossible). The Rabbi was sitting having a

break, and he was covered from head to foot in blood: blood on his skull

cap, blood clotted in his beard, blood all over his face and clothes. I

stared at this vision from hell, and pondered on the casual barbarity of our

species. Trust me, neither religion gives a toss about animal cruelty.

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release 18/04/03

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail