IndiaDivine.org

What Tom said

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/10/03 5:48:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, amylia_21 writes:

You'll never convince most meat-eaters to go veggo for animals' sake- I've tried and seen it tried too many times to no avail . Sad truth is, you have to appeal to their self interest to get them to change - it's the only way to change them.

Tom

Bodhimind3 replies:

Actually, when I went vegetarian, then vegan, one of the major reasons was concern for animals. Of course there are a ton of other reasons why I gave up eating animals, but that definitely was a driving factor.

I do agree, however, that with many people, the argument that we should be concerned about the suffering of animals does not work.

Guest guest

You'll never convince most meat-eaters to go veggo for animals' sake- I've tried and seen it tried too many times to no avail . Sad truth is, you have to appeal to their self interest to get them to change - it's the only way to change them.

Tom

Tom,

Is that how you became vegan? ----I only became a vegetarian because I had heard it's healthier. I wanted to keep my figure from highschool. (Pure vanity.) It was only months after being vegetarian, that I realized I had been eating DEAD ANIMALS. And when I became vegan, it was only just to see if I could actually do it. Then when I did it, I realized eating dairy products is still contributing. So, in my case you are right. (Sigh.)

*This message was brought to you by: Amy

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

Guest guest

I went veg simply because the taste of flesh no longer appealed; I just

couldn't do it. I grew a conscience about the harm done to animals by the

meat, dairy, and egg industries in a matter of months. I think the seed was

there, blocked but waiting, and it bloomed into a giant flower. There are

some people who might be convinced on environmental matters, but yeah, for

the most part, you gotta appeal to the selfish " it's healthier " motive.

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

" Amylia F " <amylia_21

What Tom said

Sat, 10 May 2003 17:47:12 -0700

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

Tom

Tom,

Is that how you became vegan? ----I only became a vegetarian because I had heard it's healthier. I wanted to keep my figure from highschool. (Pure vanity.) It was only months after being vegetarian, that I realized I had been eating DEAD ANIMALS. And when I became vegan, it was only just to see if I could actually do it. Then when I did it, I realized eating dairy products is still contributing. So, in my case you are right. (Sigh.)

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

To send an email to -

Guest guest

a large number of people are cut off from their feelings of compassion/concern about cruelty to animals, poverty, discrmination because of being hurt themselves, cruel, mean, or unable to feel compassion...........so when someone asks me in a certain tone of voice, well, why are you vegan?..........i look at them hard in the eye to work out whether they could handle my truth........that what is on their plate is a dead animal, killed so they could chew on it, tortured for their pleasure............and sometimes folks, i figure that they really dont want to know......and are almost daring me to ruin their dinner.......

and of course, the point is, the animal on their plate maybe never had a meal that was a pleasure, had no choices at all........but is a martyr in my eyes.........not that that would do them any good............

and i sigh, take a deep breath, and saw into my nut cutlet........chewing carefully..........

catherine

>Bodhimind3 > > >Re: What Tom said >Sat, 10 May 2003 23:38:24 EDT > >In a message dated 5/10/03 5:48:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, >amylia_21 writes: > > > You'll never convince most meat-eaters to go veggo for animals' sake- I've > > tried and seen it tried too many times to no avail . Sad truth is, you have > > to appeal to their self interest to get them to change - it's the only way > > to change them. > > > > Tom > > > >Bodhimind3 replies: >Actually, when I went vegetarian, then vegan, one of the major reasons was >concern for animals. Of course there are a ton of other reasons why I gave up >eating animals, but that definitely was a driving factor. >I do agree, however, that with many people, the argument that we should be >concerned about the suffering of animals does not work. Express yourself with cool emoticons. Get MSN Messenger today.

Guest guest

Animals don't care why people go vegetarian or vegan - as long as they do it or move towards it. If we ever seriously want abattoirs and factory farms to close down (and I'm assuming we all do), we have to think like McDonalds in respect of "what will 'sell' this to the masses?". In Australia, at least, the great increase in veggo products I've witnessed over the last 20 years has not come about due to the success of the (tiny) vegan, or even vegetarian movement, but due to more interest and information about health. Most people operate on a fairly basic level, ie. food, shelter, sex, family needs, etc. Ethics, as a primary motivator, is in real terms, way down the list. Lastly, I do not think the concept of "vegan" is a selling point to most people, rather the contrary.

Tom

-

Amylia F

Saturday, May 10, 2003 5:47 PM

What Tom said

Tom

Tom,

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. To send an email to -