IndiaDivine.org

Aromatherapy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Does anyone on this site use aromatherapy at all? I have just read a report that

certain oils are threatening the survival of certain plant species. Two that

sprang to mind are Sandalwood and Rosewood, which as they use the roots and

heartwood are felled for this purpose. Sandalwood trees used to be prevelant in

many tropical countries, but are now in gradual demise with only India starting

to realise and do something about it.Some ecologists are calling for boycotts on

certain oils.

So being Holistic may not be ecologically sound in this instance. Sorry to be

such a downer, but best you know the problem. If anyone wants further info , I

will dig up more info....

The Valley Vegan......

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

Guest guest

I'm currently using peppermint oil in an attempt to keep the mice off the cooker/work surfaces. Seemed to work last night. Trouble is, if they move out & go to the flat upstairs they'll probably kill them...

Also use lavender oil to make the flat smell nice®, with the odd bit of clary sage & marjoram now & again 'cause I read good things about them, can't remember what now.

Viv

swpgh01 [swpgh01]Tuesday, May 13, 2003 6:11 PM Subject: AromatherapyDoes anyone on this site use aromatherapy at all? I have just read a report that certain oils are threatening the survival of certain plant species. Two that sprang to mind are Sandalwood and Rosewood, which as they use the roots and heartwood are felled for this purpose. Sandalwood trees used to be prevelant in many tropical countries, but are now in gradual demise with only India starting to realise and do something about it.Some ecologists are calling for boycotts on certain oils.So being Holistic may not be ecologically sound in this instance. Sorry to be such a downer, but best you know the problem. If anyone wants further info , I will dig up more info....The Valley Vegan......Peter H

Guest guest

i use bergamot which raises the spirits..........

catherine

>"Viv"

> >

>RE: Aromatherapy >Tue, 13 May 2003 19:47:01 +0100 > >I'm currently using peppermint oil in an attempt to keep the mice off the >cooker/work surfaces. Seemed to work last night. Trouble is, if they move >out & go to the flat upstairs they'll probably kill them... >Also use lavender oil to make the flat smell nice®, with the odd bit of >clary sage & marjoram now & again 'cause I read good things about them, >can't remember what now. >Viv > > > swpgh01 [swpgh01] > Tuesday, May 13, 2003 6:11 PM > > Aromatherapy > > > > Does anyone on this site use aromatherapy at all? I have just read a >report that certain oils are threatening the survival of certain plant >species. Two that sprang to mind are Sandalwood and Rosewood, which as they >use the roots and heartwood are felled for this purpose. Sandalwood trees >used to be prevelant in many tropical countries, but are now in gradual >demise with only India starting to realise and do something about it.Some >ecologists are calling for boycotts on certain oils. > So being Holistic may not be ecologically sound in this instance. Sorry to >be such a downer, but best you know the problem. If anyone wants further >info , I will dig up more info.... > The Valley Vegan...... > > Peter H > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.478 / Virus Database: 275 - Release 06/05/03 Protect your PC from e-mail viruses. Get MSN 8 today.

Guest guest

Thx Peter H!

I do. Will be more aware when purchaing roots and pre-made products.

If you do find anything else out, please do share!

nikki :)

One must care about a world one will not see.

Bertrand Russell

, swpgh01@t... wrote:

>

> Does anyone on this site use aromatherapy at all? I have just read

a report that certain oils are threatening the survival of certain

plant species. Two that sprang to mind are Sandalwood and Rosewood,

which as they use the roots and heartwood are felled for this

purpose. Sandalwood trees used to be prevelant in many tropical

countries, but are now in gradual demise with only India starting to

realise and do something about it.Some ecologists are calling for

boycotts on certain oils.

> So being Holistic may not be ecologically sound in this instance.

Sorry to be such a downer, but best you know the problem. If anyone

wants further info , I will dig up more info....

> The Valley Vegan......

>

> Peter H

>

> --------------------

> talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

Guest guest

I am keen on aromatherapy. Sandalwood and Rosewood are best avoided now.

There are alternatives with the same effects, so if absolutely necessary I

will dig out my books to find out what they are.

Jo

>

> Does anyone on this site use aromatherapy at all? I have just read a

report that certain oils are threatening the survival of certain plant

species. Two that sprang to mind are Sandalwood and Rosewood, which as they

use the roots and heartwood are felled for this purpose. Sandalwood trees

used to be prevelant in many tropical countries, but are now in gradual

demise with only India starting to realise and do something about it.Some

ecologists are calling for boycotts on certain oils.

> So being Holistic may not be ecologically sound in this instance. Sorry to

be such a downer, but best you know the problem. If anyone wants further

info , I will dig up more info....

> The Valley Vegan......

>

> Peter H

>

> --------------------

> talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Viv

You are using good oils and herbs to keep insects away. I always use a mixture of lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint as an all round insect deterrant (in the house not on the skin).

Jo

-

Viv

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 7:47 PM

RE: Aromatherapy

I'm currently using peppermint oil in an attempt to keep the mice off the cooker/work surfaces. Seemed to work last night. Trouble is, if they move out & go to the flat upstairs they'll probably kill them...

Also use lavender oil to make the flat smell nice®, with the odd bit of clary sage & marjoram now & again 'cause I read good things about them, can't remember what now.

Viv

swpgh01 [swpgh01]Tuesday, May 13, 2003 6:11 PM Subject: AromatherapyDoes anyone on this site use aromatherapy at all? I have just read a report that certain oils are threatening the survival of certain plant species. Two that sprang to mind are Sandalwood and Rosewood, which as they use the roots and heartwood are felled for this purpose. Sandalwood trees used to be prevelant in many tropical countries, but are now in gradual demise with only India starting to realise and do something about it.Some ecologists are calling for boycotts on certain oils.So being Holistic may not be ecologically sound in this instance. Sorry to be such a downer, but best you know the problem. If anyone wants further info , I will dig up more info....The Valley Vegan......Peter H

To send an email to -

Guest guest

My favourite is grapefruit for lifting the spirits, and frankincense for meditation. There are so many lovely smells.

Jo

i use bergamot which raises the spirits..........

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.481 / Virus Database: 277 - Release 13/05/03