IndiaDivine.org

What to do with animal product clothing after going Vegan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello. Here's a topic that might start some chatter. I & hubby went Vegan over 8 months ago and have not bought any clothing/shoes/purses/etc. made out of leather/wool/silk/etc. and never plan to. My question is, I still have some sandals that I bought before going Vegan and I can't quite figure out if I should get rid of them or just wait until they need replacing and then replace them with non-leather ones?

Another question. If you say I should get rid of them now, how? Do I give them away (seems less wasteful but also seems somewhat hypocritical) or do I throw them away?

Just curious what you all think.

Take care,

Tammy

Guest guest

I kind of figured it had been discussed before. Hasn't in the last month or so since I've been here though, so thought I'd ask.

Take care,

Tammy

-

EBbrewpunx

Sunday, July 27, 2003 1:39 AM

Re: What to do with animal product clothing after going Vegan

hahahahahahahasorry...it just struck me as funny...has to be the second most discussed thing here..i'll let others field this question:)

Guest guest

Personally, I continue to use them, but try to remember not to wear them

to vegan events :). The point is to reduce the demand for animal

products.

People vary, and quite a lot of people just get rid of them from the get

go.

Guest guest

hi tammy - thats an awkward one, but i think that i myself wouldnt want to wear it but would feel the animals life was just wasted to throw it away, so i would give it to a charity so some good would come out of it. hope thats helped

lv saraTammy <kittytooo wrote:

Hello. Here's a topic that might start some chatter. I & hubby went Vegan over 8 months ago and have not bought any clothing/shoes/purses/etc. made out of leather/wool/silk/etc. and never plan to. My question is, I still have some sandals that I bought before going Vegan and I can't quite figure out if I should get rid of them or just wait until they need replacing and then replace them with non-leather ones?

Another question. If you say I should get rid of them now, how? Do I give them away (seems less wasteful but also seems somewhat hypocritical) or do I throw them away?

Just curious what you all think.

Take care,

TammyTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Sara & Dr McDonald.

That's about what I figured. I think I will continue to wear them, for a while at least, as I search for good replacements. Then, if I do get rid of them, before they're worn, I'll donate them somewhere, either to a thrift store or maybe a no-kill animal shelter I know of near me. I know they had, in the past, held an auction with stuff that was donated to them in order to raise money. I'll have to find out if they're going to do that again sometime.

As for wearing animal stuff to AR or Vege get-to-gethers, I already figured that would be a no-no. What about my non-leather shoes, purse, etc. that looks like leather, but isn't? Won't some think it's leather? I mean, like Angie said..."they may not actually get to speak to you". How do you deal with that? Or do you only buy stuff that's obviously non-leather? Cloth purses and such.

Thanks for all your input.

Luckily I didn't have much problem with most animal clothing/etc. stuff. I've never bought anything with animal fur (wasn't AR or Vege most my life but did like animals and couldn't stand animals being killed just for fur). Silk was not something I was too crazy about as it wrinkles like crazy and doesn't like to let wrinkles go near as easily as it gets them. Wool has always bothered my skin, so I haven't owned anything wool for years. I was never all that crazy about leather coats, boots, furniture, etc...not sure why...just not my taste (maybe subconsciously a little bit because of knowing what it came from). We did have an old, big, office chair that we were unsure on (no tag saying what it was made of), we weren't really crazy about it any way (it was way old), gave it away and got a cloth one (MUCH nicer). My main problem has been with shoes (sandals and moccasins mainly) & belts for hubby. We've already replaced purse & wallets.

Take care,

Tammy

-

Magick Nuts

Sunday, July 27, 2003 9:16 AM

hi tammy - thats an awkward one, but i think that i myself wouldnt want to wear it but would feel the animals life was just wasted to throw it away, so i would give it to a charity so some good would come out of it. hope thats helped

lv sara

-

Dr. Ian McDonald

Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:09 AM

Personally, I continue to use them, but try to remember not to wear themto vegan events :). The point is to reduce the demand for animalproducts. People vary, and quite a lot of people just get rid of them from the getgo.

Guest guest

ebbrew...why do you have to be mean? She was only asking. You didn't have to be rude about it, If you didn't have anything helpful to say to her, don't say anything thats rude.EBbrewpunx wrote:

hahahahahahahasorry...it just struck me as funny...has to be the second most discussed thing here..i'll let others field this question:) To send an email to -

Guest guest

Thanks Sam. I didn't really take it as mean. Not helpful either, though, so I was wondering why they bothered replying.

Take care,

Tammy

-

sam hall

Monday, July 28, 2003 10:13 PM

ebbrew...why do you have to be mean? She was only asking. You didn't have to be rude about it, If you didn't have anything helpful to say to her, don't say anything thats rude.EBbrewpunx wrote: hahahahahahahasorry...it just struck me as funny...has to be the second most discussed thing here..i'll let others field this question:) To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Sam

> ebbrew...why do you have to be mean? She was only asking. You didn't have to be rude about it, If you didn't have

> anything helpful to say to her, don't say anything thats rude.

Can't say that I thought Fraggle was being mean.... just commenting, which is pretty much what people do on chat lists! I suspect the source of his amusement was that we only finished a discussion on that same topic about 10 days ago.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.501 / Virus Database: 299 - Release 14/07/03

Guest guest

Tammy,

I think that if you cannot find another home for them ( another person who fits

them or donate them to a charity shop ), then I see nothing wrong in wearing

them until they expire. To just throw them away would be - purely my opinion -

a waste of resources, and dont forget the damage has already been done - i.e. an

animal has already died, all be it with the leather being the by product.

Call me a hypocrite if you will, but do it nicely.....it is only an opinion

which was asked for.

The Valley Vegan....

> Hello. Here's a topic that might start some chatter. I & hubby went Vegan

over 8 months ago and have not bought any clothing/shoes/purses/etc. made out of

leather/wool/silk/etc. and never plan to. My question is, I still have some

sandals that I bought before going Vegan and I can't quite figure out if I

should get rid of them or just wait until they need replacing and then replace

them with non-leather ones?

>

>Another question. If you say I should get rid of them now, how? Do I give

them away (seems less wasteful but also seems somewhat hypocritical) or do I

throw them away?

>

>Just curious what you all think.

>

>Take care,

>Tammy

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

Guest guest

Fraggles not rude - he's one of the most helpful people I've inter-met.

Jo

-

sam hall

Tuesday, July 29, 2003 4:13 AM

ebbrew...why do you have to be mean? She was only asking. You didn't have to be rude about it, If you didn't have anything helpful to say to her, don't say anything thats rude.EBbrewpunx wrote: hahahahahahahasorry...it just struck me as funny...has to be the second most discussed thing here..i'll let others field this question:) To send an email to -

Guest guest

That's the way I feel. I just wanted to see what others thought. To see if maybe they had something to say that I hadn't thought of.

Take care,

Tammy

-

swpgh01

Tuesday, July 29, 2003 10:57 AM

Tammy,I think that if you cannot find another home for them ( another person who fits them or donate them to a charity shop ), then I see nothing wrong in wearing them until they expire. To just throw them away would be - purely my opinion - a waste of resources, and dont forget the damage has already been done - i.e. an animal has already died, all be it with the leather being the by product. Call me a hypocrite if you will, but do it nicely.....it is only an opinion which was asked for.The Valley Vegan....

Guest guest

Not on here you didn't. I've been here almost a month now.

Take care,

Tammy

Can't say that I thought Fraggle was being mean.... just commenting, which is pretty much what people do on chat lists! I suspect the source of his amusement was that we only finished a discussion on that same topic about 10 days ago.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Tammy

> Not on here you didn't. I've been here almost a month now.

You might want to check out the archives under the heading "vegetarian meat eaters" before making such a bold statement. There are too many to cite each post number, but it completely dominated the list for about two weeks!

I must admit I was wondering why you'd brought the subject up again after it had caused such a ruccus just a couple of weeks ago, but perhaps you came along just after it had finished.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.501 / Virus Database: 299 - Release 14/07/03

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/28/03 8:13:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, luckycharm2315 writes:

ebbrew...why do you have to be mean? She was only asking. You didn't have to be rude about it, If you didn't have anything helpful to say to her, don't say anything thats rude.

EBbrewpunx wrote:

hahahahahahaha

sorry...

it just struck me as funny...has to be the second most discussed thing here..

i'll let others field this question

umm

i wasn't being rude....

i certainly didn't mean to come off as mean....

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/28/03 11:34:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kittytooo writes:

Thanks Sam. I didn't really take it as mean. Not helpful either, though, so I was wondering why they bothered replying.

Take care,

Tammy

i bothered replying, because i thought it was funny

Guest guest

You might want to check out the archives under the heading "vegetarian meat eaters" before making such a bold statement. There are too many to cite each post number, but it completely dominated the list for about two weeks!

I must admit I was wondering why you'd brought the subject up again after it had caused such a ruccus just a couple of weeks ago, but perhaps you came along just after it had finished.

Ok, I just went back and found the messages you're referring to with the subject line "vegetarian meat eaters". The last message, with that in the subject, was posted on 6/26/03. Over a month ago, not a couple weeks ago, as you stated above. As I said, I knew it had not been since I had joined. And I would not have said that unless I had read ALL the posts, since I joined, which I had.

So, maybe you should take your own advice and check your facts before making such a "bold" statement.

If you remember, the "bold" statement you're saying I made was that the subject had not come up since I joined, about a month ago.

I don't much appreciate being accused of lying/misrepresenting/whatever you want to call what you were saying I was doing by making "bold" statements that you were inferring were dishonest. I would appreciate an apology, now that I have proven what I said was truthful, though I'd be shocked if I got one from someone who is so quick to attack without the facts.

Tammy

-

Peter

Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:37 PM

Hi Tammy

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I agree completely!

nikki :)

, " Heartwork " <Heartwork@o...> wrote:

> Fraggles not rude - he's one of the most helpful people I've inter-

met.

>

> Jo

> -

> sam hall

>

> Tuesday, July 29, 2003 4:13 AM

> Re: What to do with animal product clothing

after going Vegan

>

>

> ebbrew...why do you have to be mean? She was only asking. You

didn't have to be rude about it, If you didn't have anything helpful

to say to her, don't say anything thats rude.

>

> EBbrewpunx@c... wrote: hahahahahahaha

> sorry...

> it just struck me as funny...has to be the second most

discussed thing here..

> i'll let others field this question

> :)

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Tammy

> I don't much appreciate being accused of lying/misrepresenting/whatever you want to call what you were saying I was doing by

> making "bold" statements that you were inferring were dishonest. I would appreciate an apology, now that I have proven what I

> said was truthful, though I'd be shocked if I got one from someone who is so quick to attack without the facts.

Considering you have been here under a month, you aren't doing a great job of either endearing yourself to list members or of sticking to the list rule of keeping conversation polite. You've so far launched unwarranted attacks on three people including probably the most helpful and least offensive person I've ever met on e-mail (Fraggle), and the list owner (me).

Until you can learn to behave in a mature way I have put you on moderation and any further attacks will never reach the list.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

Peter

Guest guest

I've actually been here for about a month-month 1/2 now as well and I've never seen it either, but I'm not doubting it was here. She didn't know, it isn't a big deal honestly.

Ly,

Sam.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Tammy

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.501 / Virus Database: 299 - Release 14/07/03To send an email to -