Fw: [Vegan_Animal_Rights] PLEASE, HELP SAVE ALASKA'S WOLVES

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

- we_ar_petitions

Vegan_Animal_Rights

Tuesday, August 05, 2003 9:30 AM

[Vegan_Animal_Rights] PLEASE, HELP SAVE ALASKA'S WOLVES

Alaska is home to the largest remaining population of gray wolves in the United States. Some 7,000 to 9,000 wolves roam the state. But unlike wolves in the lower 48 states, wolves in Alaska are not afforded protection under the Endangered Species Act, and wolf hunting is allowed in most parts of the state. In the past five years, nearly 7,500 wolves were killed through hunting and trapping. Alaska Governor Frank Murkowski just signed a bill to re-instate public "land and shoot" and airborne wolf shooting as a part of a renewed effort to conduct more widespread wolf control over huge areas of central Alaska. Hunters in planes search for wolves, "buzz" the pack, and chase them until the wolves are exhausted. Then a person shoots from the air or lands and shoots the wolves as they flounder in the snow. It's an inhumane practice -- causing harassment, wounding and death. Led by Defenders of Wildlife, the people of Alaska have TWICE voted to revoke land-and-shoot in the last seven years. But certain state officials want wolves killed to boost moose and caribou herds for hunters. Defenders of Wildlife is committed to protecting wolves in Alaska, but we need your help. Please let Gov. Murkowski know you are outraged by this action by sending him the petition at the bottom of this page. And remember to tell your family and friends about this issue so that they too can take action. Alaska's wildlife legacy is a national treasure which should be safeguarded -- not slaughtered. Dear Governor Murkowski: I am outraged by your action. I stand with the majority of Alaska's citizens who favor strong protection of Alaska's wolves and other imperiled wildlife. I agree with the will of the Alaskan public that same-day land-and-shoot tactics are abhorrent, inhumane and barbaric and should remain banned. I am very disappointed about your decision to re-instate this cruel practice on wolves. I am concerned that the Sanctuary Pack of Denali National Park is gone forever, and I want to see the remaining wolf packs protected. Sincerely, Please, go here to VOTE!http://www.savealaskawolves.org/