IndiaDivine.org

The George, Brighton

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all

We went to the George in Brighton yesterday - had a mushroom and cashew rouste, en croute, with broccoli, carrots, fennel, onions and roast potatoes, with red wine and onion gravy. It was delicious, but so large I didn't have room for a desert - probably just as well.

Jo

-

Richard SAUNDERS

Monday, August 18, 2003 11:39 AM

church of the holy vegan

a 2:1 mix of orange and grapefruit juice, and molassesRichard

To send an email to -

In a message dated 8/18/03 3:13:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Heartwork writes:

Apart from alcohol they also serve coffee, tea, and herb teas.

mmm

beer

if i bake more cookies will you take me?

hi jo

wheres the george in brighton??.............and is only vegan or vege????..................

catherine

ps i am tired eating salad or salad and chips, when out with friends or rellies

>"Heartwork"

> >

> The George, Brighton >Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:12:03 +0100 > >Hi all > >We went to the George in Brighton yesterday - had a mushroom and cashew rouste, en croute, with broccoli, carrots, fennel, onions and roast potatoes, with red wine and onion gravy. It was delicious, but so large I didn't have room for a desert - probably just as well. > >Jo > - > Richard SAUNDERS > > Monday, August 18, 2003 11:39 AM > church of the holy vegan > > > a 2:1 mix of orange and grapefruit juice, and molasses > > Richard > > >

Hi Catherine

It's in Trafalgar Street. It's a vegetarian pub, and about half the menu is vegan. Apart from alcohol they also serve coffee, tea, and herb teas. It's an ambient sort of place - rather pleasant.

Jo

-

Catherine Harris

Monday, August 18, 2003 9:41 PM

Re: The George, Brighton

hi jo

wheres the george in brighton??.............and is only vegan or vege????..................

catherine

ps i am tired eating salad or salad and chips, when out with friends or rellies

>"Heartwork"

> >

> The George, Brighton >Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:12:03 +0100 > >Hi all > >We went to the George in Brighton yesterday - had a mushroom and cashew rouste, en croute, with broccoli, carrots, fennel, onions and roast potatoes, with red wine and onion gravy. It was delicious, but so large I didn't have room for a desert - probably just as well. > >Jo > - > Richard SAUNDERS > > Monday, August 18, 2003 11:39 AM > church of the holy vegan > > > a 2:1 mix of orange and grapefruit juice, and molasses > > Richard > > >

Hi Jo

Is Trafalgar Street part of Trafalgar Square?

Sure wish I could get back to London now that i'm older

ah, one day :)

nikki

, " Heartwork " <Heartwork@o...> wrote:

> Hi Catherine

>

> It's in Trafalgar Street. It's a vegetarian pub, and about half

the menu is vegan. Apart from alcohol they also serve coffee, tea,

and herb teas. It's an ambient sort of place - rather pleasant.

>

> Jo

Hi Nikki

I'm not sure. I think there is a Trafalgar Square in Brighton - a small park. I presume it would be the tiny one near Trafalgar Street.

I see the traffic flow round Trafalgar Square in London has been changed, so that the road by the National Gallery is now traffic free. I haven't been to that area since the last demo.

My daughter loves living in London, and found it boring here when she came to live for a couple of months between selling and buying flats. I'm the other way round. I was born at The Elephant and Castle and moved to the sticks when I was two. I can still remember living in London, especially the trips to West Square Park and Regents Park - always did love flowers.

Jo

-

nikki_mackovitch

Tuesday, August 19, 2003 12:00 PM

Hi JoIs Trafalgar Street part of Trafalgar Square?Sure wish I could get back to London now that i'm olderah, one day :)nikki , "Heartwork" <Heartwork@o...> wrote:> Hi Catherine> > It's in Trafalgar Street. It's a vegetarian pub, and about half the menu is vegan. Apart from alcohol they also serve coffee, tea, and herb teas. It's an ambient sort of place - rather pleasant.> > Jo

To send an email to -

In a message dated 8/19/03 6:12:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Heartwork writes:

My daughter loves living in London, and found it boring here when she came to live for a couple of months between selling and buying flats. I'm the other way round. I was born at The Elephant and Castle and moved to the sticks when I was two. I can still remember living in London, especially the trips to West Square Park and Regents Park - always did love flowers.

don't think i could ever live out in the "sticks" as it were...

as for london, unfortunately, all i've seen of it was the view as i walked from the train station and crossed the street to hit the underground..

Sorry - I don't understand what you mean. They sell individual meals. Are you sure they weren't pulling your leg?

Jo

Unfortunately, they only seemed to sell their meals in pairs, which wasa bit annoying if you are there by yourself :).And odd, come to think about it.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release 14/08/03

Hi Fraggle

I don't know why but I assumed you did live in the sticks. Are you in a town or suburbs? I presume living in the sticks in America is far more awkward than living in the countryside here. We have several towns within half an hours drive, so we're still near civilisation!

Jo

-

EBbrewpunx

Wednesday, August 20, 2003 1:39 AM

Re: Re: The George, Brighton

In a message dated 8/19/03 6:12:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Heartwork writes:

My daughter loves living in London, and found it boring here when she came to live for a couple of months between selling and buying flats. I'm the other way round. I was born at The Elephant and Castle and moved to the sticks when I was two. I can still remember living in London, especially the trips to West Square Park and Regents Park - always did love flowers.don't think i could ever live out in the "sticks" as it were...as for london, unfortunately, all i've seen of it was the view as i walked from the train station and crossed the street to hit the underground..

To send an email to -

In a message dated 8/20/03 10:39:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Heartwork writes:

Hi Fraggle

I don't know why but I assumed you did live in the sticks. Are you in a town or suburbs? I presume living in the sticks in America is far more awkward than living in the countryside here. We have several towns within half an hours drive, so we're still near civilisation!

i live in oakland california..definately not the sticks..about 400,000 people here...about 7 million for the Bay Area as a whole..

no..i do not reside in the sticks, nor have i ever really..for awhile i lived in a small town in connecticut..but never really lived in the boonies...

right now, i'm in walking distance of vegetarian resturants, sushi, pubs, et al

cheers

fraggle

I've never known them have that rule - they weren't doing a Valentine special or something similar, were they?

Jo

-

Dr. Ian McDonald

Thursday, August 21, 2003 12:22 AM

*shrug*Not impossible. It's a year ago, so my memory is fuzzy by now. It mighthave been a particular dish, or a particular time of day.

To send an email to -

Hi Jo

I'm more like you.

I loved growing up in Chicago, but now I prefer to be in the suburbs

just off of it. Still very close to it, but not in the direct hubbub.

I did like London alot though. Maybe it was because I got to roam the

streets alone all day at 12 and found some pretty interesting places

and sights. Only got lost once, so that wasn't too bad! :)

nikki

> Hi Nikki

>

> I'm not sure. I think there is a Trafalgar Square in Brighton - a

small park. I presume it would be the tiny one near Trafalgar Street.

>

> I see the traffic flow round Trafalgar Square in London has been

changed, so that the road by the National Gallery is now traffic

free. I haven't been to that area since the last demo.

>

> My daughter loves living in London, and found it boring here when

she came to live for a couple of months between selling and buying

flats. I'm the other way round. I was born at The Elephant and

Castle and moved to the sticks when I was two. I can still remember

living in London, especially the trips to West Square Park and

Regents Park - always did love flowers.

>

> Jo

Hi Nikki

I do enjoy going to London for a day out - or to eat! I'm not very adventurous I'm afraid. I think I'd get lost if I went by myself!

Jo

I'm more like you.I loved growing up in Chicago, but now I prefer to be in the suburbs just off of it. Still very close to it, but not in the direct hubbub.I did like London alot though. Maybe it was because I got to roam the streets alone all day at 12 and found some pretty interesting places and sights. Only got lost once, so that wasn't too bad! :)nikki , "Heartwork" <Heartwork@o...> wrote:> Hi Nikki> > I'm not sure. I think there is a Trafalgar Square in Brighton - a small park. I presume it would be the tiny one near Trafalgar Street.> > I see the traffic flow round Trafalgar Square in London has been changed, so that the road by the National Gallery is now traffic free. I haven't been to that area since the last demo.> > My daughter loves living in London, and found it boring here when she came to live for a couple of months between selling and buying flats. I'm the other way round. I was born at The Elephant and Castle and moved to the sticks when I was two. I can still remember living in London, especially the trips to West Square Park and Regents Park - always did love flowers.> > Jo

To send an email to -

" nikki_mackovitch " <nikkimack wrote:

>Hi Jo

>

>I'm more like you.

>

>I loved growing up in Chicago, but now I prefer to be in the suburbs

>just off of it. Still very close to it, but not in the direct hubbub.

>

ok..being from california...you are conjuring up endless miles of mindless

sprawl, countless identiform houses crawling across the landscape like some

fungal growth, broken only by the stucco mini mall or some mega box chain store

like satan mart er something...

there be no soul there..you can't walk anywhere, cuz there is nowhere to go..its

SUV heaven...

suburbs make me break out in hate boils

:)

cheers

fraggle

i thoroughly enjoyed the small shops in england...there was a smal "health market" about a mile from the bungalow we stayed in in Bath, and it was fun to skip up to it every day er so, fer the gathering of the days vicyuals..

and, wouldn't you know it, found a few pubs along the way as well!!

teehee...

Hi Jo

In the beginning I took it real slow. Always started out on the same

street and just went a different way each time. But I had nothing but

time too.

It was just me and my Father and he was working out there at the

London office, so I was " home " alone from early in the morning till

around 6-7 at night.

The flat we rented had a small fridge, one of those you use fer

college campus life. So each day I had to go out and buy some food

staples and whatever I would make fer dinner that night. And the

stores in the area where smaller than what I was use to here. So I

went to one for one thing and another fer something else. Would do

that first thing in the morning and then bring everything " home " .

Then I would probably snack and straighten up a bit.

Then go out on an adventure. Just walking and taking it all in.

Sometimes I would sit somewhere and write, other times just lose

myself in the places and people.

Then back to the flat to either lounge around er read a book er start

dinner. Sometimes we went out to eat. Found a lot of new culture in

London!

I guess the reason it attracts me so is in the 3 months we were

there, I was constantly learning er seeing new things. Sometimes it

was lonely on me own, most times it was nice because I could do what

I wanted and go where I wanted.

On the weekends we always did things together. Saw the sights and

even flew out visited Paris fer a few days one weekend and Ireland

another.

I was very lucky to have this opportunity and I hope one day to share

something like this with my son. I wouldn't trade those

days/sights/experiences fer anything!

Nikki :)

> Hi Nikki

>

> I do enjoy going to London for a day out - or to eat! I'm not very

adventurous I'm afraid. I think I'd get lost if I went by myself!

>

> Jo

>

Egads No! No no no no NO!!!!!!!!!!

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck,

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck,

Yer thinking of Naperville, I live in Oak Lawn

OAK LAWN!

No way I could live in a " suburb " suburb

Me little burb is more like the south side of Chicago where I grew up

and I could throw a stone from me house and almost hit the South Side

of Chicago

I couldn't live in a place like that

Tis not me at all!

NO WAY!

In fact, I always swore up and down I would NEVER live in the burbs

Till I saw this burb and it was unlike that completely

Actually, would love to own a modest home on a lot of land

Tis me dream

(oh please let me get there someday)

Either in WI (cause I love the Crivitz area) er in Arizona er Nevada

Nikki – NOT a suburbian!

NOT a stepford wife

NOT a...… oh well, maybe I AM that

;)

>

> ok..being from california...you are conjuring up endless miles of

mindless sprawl, countless identiform houses crawling across the

landscape like some fungal growth, broken only by the stucco mini

mall or some mega box chain store like satan mart er something...

> there be no soul there..you can't walk anywhere, cuz there is

nowhere to go..its SUV heaven...

> suburbs make me break out in hate boils

> :)

> cheers

> fraggle

Hi Nikki

> Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, > Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, > Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, > Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, > Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck,

I could be wrong, but I detect the very slightest hint that you're not keen on something? :-)

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release 14/08/03

In a message dated 8/22/03 1:12:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Heartwork writes:

There's no shortage of pubs here. We tend to frequent the small health shops as well. There is a good veggie restaurant in Bath - Demuths.

it was a number of years ago..back in like 95..so, dunno if it was there..

we were well fed by my friends there anyways...

it was in belgium we had problems...trying to convince folks that, no, we didn't want cheese!! and, we didn't speak flemish nor french...

twas an adventure!

cheers

fraggle

It's strange how you have to go to different shops in London. I'm used to going to one store and getting most of my week's groceries. It sounds as though you certainly used your time in London well.

Jo

-

nikki_mackovitch

Friday, August 22, 2003 11:44 AM

Hi JoIn the beginning I took it real slow. Always started out on the same street and just went a different way each time. But I had nothing but time too.It was just me and my Father and he was working out there at the London office, so I was "home" alone from early in the morning till around 6-7 at night.The flat we rented had a small fridge, one of those you use fer college campus life. So each day I had to go out and buy some food staples and whatever I would make fer dinner that night. And the stores in the area where smaller than what I was use to here. So I went to one for one thing and another fer something else. Would do that first thing in the morning and then bring everything "home". Then I would probably snack and straighten up a bit. Then go out on an adventure. Just walking and taking it all in. Sometimes I would sit somewhere and write, other times just lose myself in the places and people. Then back to the flat to either lounge around er read a book er start dinner. Sometimes we went out to eat. Found a lot of new culture in London!I guess the reason it attracts me so is in the 3 months we were there, I was constantly learning er seeing new things. Sometimes it was lonely on me own, most times it was nice because I could do what I wanted and go where I wanted. On the weekends we always did things together. Saw the sights and even flew out visited Paris fer a few days one weekend and Ireland another. I was very lucky to have this opportunity and I hope one day to share something like this with my son. I wouldn't trade those days/sights/experiences fer anything!Nikki :) , "Heartwork" <Heartwork@o...> wrote:> Hi Nikki> > I do enjoy going to London for a day out - or to eat! I'm not very adventurous I'm afraid. I think I'd get lost if I went by myself!> > Jo>

To send an email to -

Hi Fraaggle

There's no shortage of pubs here. We tend to frequent the small health shops as well. There is a good veggie restaurant in Bath - Demuths.

Jo

-

EBbrewpunx

Friday, August 22, 2003 3:40 PM

i thoroughly enjoyed the small shops in england...there was a smal "health market" about a mile from the bungalow we stayed in in Bath, and it was fun to skip up to it every day er so, fer the gathering of the days vicyuals..and, wouldn't you know it, found a few pubs along the way as well!!teehee...

To send an email to -

In a message dated 8/22/03 1:19:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Heartwork writes:

It's strange how you have to go to different shops in London. I'm used to going to one store and getting most of my week's groceries.

i actually like spreadin my purchases out a bit..

here..i shop at whole foods for stoopid vegan treats and the like, and for bread...and non food items like toothpaste, soap, and the like...

berkelet bowl is for organic fruits and veggies

then there is the farmers markets...

while whole foods might not be the best choice, they do have a huge selection of vegan foods and a good selection of veggies of the organic persuasion,..

anything has to be better then safeway!

cheers

fraggle