IndiaDivine.org

My opinion on Budgies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/29/03 6:05:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, californiagnomes writes:

And at least birds are vegan,

unless its an eagle, crow, raven, osprey, hawk, vulture...

hahahahahahha

Many smaller birds aren't vegan either - think you call them insectivores.

Back in the old days (1970s), before I was veggie, we used to have a budgie that would sit on my dinner plate & peck at whatever it contained if he could. I remember him pecking at, and appearing to enjoy, a fried egg - but maybe it reminded him of being in his own egg... We also used to let him fly free all the time, even when we were out, until I read somewhere of the ways many budgies had died accidentally so then we only let him out when we were around.

I wouldn't keep a pet bird now tho, the cages & lack of freedom get to me. Probably no worse than the lack of freedom my dogs get - but no-one said we have to be logical about our feelings!

Viv, Ellie & Cody

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji"

EBbrewpunx [EBbrewpunx]Saturday, August 30, 2003 4:39 AM Subject: Re: My opinion on BudgiesIn a message dated 8/29/03 6:05:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, californiagnomes writes:

And at least birds are vegan,unless its an eagle, crow, raven, osprey, hawk, vulture...hahahahahahha

Hi Viv

Having said I wouldn't join in with the discussion, I actually am going to !!! :-)

> Back in the old days (1970s), before I was veggie, we used to have a budgie that would sit on my dinner plate & peck at whatever it

> contained if he could. I remember him pecking at, and appearing to enjoy, a fried egg - but maybe it reminded him of being in his own egg...

I think most wild birds will consume some animals in their life time - insects, etc. but ignoring carrion birds, birds are generally designed for vegan diets. The best diet for budgies (which is what I know about) is a relatively small amount of seed, and a variety of vegetables and fruit such as lettuce, dandelion, carrot, apple.

> I wouldn't keep a pet bird now tho, the cages & lack of freedom get to me. Probably no worse than the lack of freedom my dogs get -

> but no-one said we have to be logical about our feelings!

Which is the point I've been trying to make all along. I don't object to people keeping pets if they care about them and treat them in a way that they feel is best for their pet's welfare - but to criticise others for doing exactly the same just because their pet is a different species is ridiculous.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release 14/08/03

or a sparrow, tearing a worm out of the ground......

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: My opinion on Budgies >Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:38:55 EDT > >In a message dated 8/29/03 6:05:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, >californiagnomes writes: > > And at least birds are vegan, > unless its an eagle, crow, raven, osprey, hawk, vulture... >hahahahahahha Make your messages more exciting with MSN Messenger V6. Download it for FREE today!

Hi Catherine

> or a sparrow, tearing a worm out of the ground......

At the risk of being seen as picky, sparrows don't eat worms - they don't have the right sort of beak to dig into the ground for them :-)

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release 14/08/03

In a message dated 9/1/03 5:29:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time, cait2 writes:

aah, sorry wrong bird then...........what little brown bird here in britain pulls worms out of the ground then?

thrushes i would imagine....

robin red breast...

(not the same robin as the one over here in the colonies..)

would that be an african or a european swallow?

hi peter,

aah, sorry wrong bird then...........what little brown bird here in britain pulls worms out of the ground then?

catherine

>"Peter"

> >

>Re: My opinion on Budgies >Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:33:27 +0100 > >Hi Catherine > > > or a sparrow, tearing a worm out of the ground...... > >At the risk of being seen as picky, sparrows don't eat worms - they don't have the right sort of beak to dig into the ground for them :-) > >BB >Peter > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release 14/08/03 Have more fun with your mobile - add polyphonic ringtones, java games, celebrity voicemails and loads more! Click here for phone fun.

Hi Catherine

> aah, sorry wrong bird then...........what little brown bird here in britain pulls worms out of the ground then?

I believe starlings eat worms - they're a little bit bigger than sparrows, but not much.

BB

Peter