IndiaDivine.org

New gal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 10/2/03 10:28:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, acidfushin writes:

I feel it is

not my place to turn a natural carnivore into a vegan, though, I do

realize that by buying this meat diet for my cat that I am indeed

supporting everything that I am against!

different strokes fer different folks..

fer some, it is hard to reconcile the fact that they are causing the needless deaths of untold animals just to feed kittie

there are a number of vegan diets on the market fer cats, though cats need several amino acids(like taurine) which aren't found in veggies and need to be added to the food(its already in good vegan cat fud)

dogs are easier to feed a vegan diet..

unfortunately, my cat is hella fussy and refuses to even consider vegan cat food

cheers

fraggle

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this whole thing... I was vegetarian for 2yrs, then

slowly become vegan, and have been vegan for the past year. I have

to say I really admire those of you that have been vegan for so many

years!!!

I was reading some Q & A sheet on the PETA site and there was a

question about turning your feline into a vegan..I was just

wondering what other peoples views are on this issue. I feel it is

not my place to turn a natural carnivore into a vegan, though, I do

realize that by buying this meat diet for my cat that I am indeed

supporting everything that I am against!

I was just curious..

Chow

Jessica

Different strokes, I agree ;=) and at the risk of upsetting many people

I will also say that I would if I could but I am unable to get the good

safe catfood with all supplements where I currently live in Canada ;=(

Best,

Pat

>

> different strokes fer different folks..

> fer some, it is hard to reconcile the fact that they are causing the needless

> deaths of untold animals just to feed kittie

> there are a number of vegan diets on the market fer cats, though cats need

> several amino acids(like taurine) which aren't found in veggies and need to be

> added to the food(its already in good vegan cat fud)

> dogs are easier to feed a vegan diet..

> unfortunately, my cat is hella fussy and refuses to even consider vegan cat

> food

> cheers

> fraggle

Hi Jessica

Welcome to the list.

I feel that if yu don't want to influence the diet of your cat you shouldn't feed it - let it catch it's own food - that's the only way for it to have a natural diet. Cooked meat from animals it could not normally catch and eat is not a natural diet.

Jo

-

acidfushin

Friday, October 03, 2003 6:25 AM

New gal

Hi,I'm kinda new to this whole thing... I was vegetarian for 2yrs, then slowly become vegan, and have been vegan for the past year. I have to say I really admire those of you that have been vegan for so many years!!!I was reading some Q & A sheet on the PETA site and there was a question about turning your feline into a vegan..I was just wondering what other peoples views are on this issue. I feel it is not my place to turn a natural carnivore into a vegan, though, I do realize that by buying this meat diet for my cat that I am indeed supporting everything that I am against!I was just curious..ChowJessica

To send an email to -

Very good point

thank youHeartwork <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Jessica

Welcome to the list.

I feel that if yu don't want to influence the diet of your cat you shouldn't feed it - let it catch it's own food - that's the only way for it to have a natural diet. Cooked meat from animals it could not normally catch and eat is not a natural diet.

Jo

-

acidfushin

Friday, October 03, 2003 6:25 AM

New gal

Hi,I'm kinda new to this whole thing... I was vegetarian for 2yrs, then slowly become vegan, and have been vegan for the past year. I have to say I really admire those of you that have been vegan for so many years!!!I was reading some Q & A sheet on the PETA site and there was a question about turning your feline into a vegan..I was just wondering what other peoples views are on this issue. I feel it is not my place to turn a natural carnivore into a vegan, though, I do realize that by buying this meat diet for my cat that I am indeed supporting everything that I am against!I was just curious..ChowJessica

To send an email to -

In a message dated 10/3/03 2:55:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, acidfushin writes:

but, of course, domestic cats tend to congregate in small areas(think yer neighborhood) and decimate small bird populations cuz there are sooo many in such a small area..

picture everyone you know that has a cat..now, think of every cat in yer area, around the block, etc

now, picture those kitties as lions....

wanna go fer a walk???

:)

In a message dated 10/3/03 5:53:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, xxxveganxx writes:

so from what i understand, is it best to let your cat choose? cause i know they are picky eaters, and i am going to try to switch them to a vegan diet, but what if they wont touch vegan food?

well..give it a try and see

no harm in trying to see if kitty will eat a good vegan brand cat chow, right?

im getting a kitty very soon. im still trying to figure out what im going to feed it. the people it is with right now is feeding them a pure raw meat/ raw vegetable diet.

so from what i understand, is it best to let your cat choose? cause i know they are picky eaters, and i am going to try to switch them to a vegan diet, but what if they wont touch vegan food?

jeremy

The New with improved product search

Hi Fraggle

I agree - as you know I am a 'bird person' and have argued the point about cats killing 40 small animals per year each. I don't advocate letting cats catch animals, and think owners should put bells on cats' collars to make this less likely. I was just making the point that a tin of cooked chicken, sheep or other animal is no more natural for a cat than a vegan diet - so you might as well feed your cat vegan, if it will.

Jo

but, of course, domestic cats tend to congregate in small areas(think yer neighborhood) and decimate small bird populations cuz there are sooo many in such a small area..picture everyone you know that has a cat..now, think of every cat in yer area, around the block, etcnow, picture those kitties as lions....wanna go fer a walk???:)

To send an email to -

Hi Jeremy

If it won't eat vegan maybe you could feed a little less meat mixed in with vegetable based food.

Jo

im getting a kitty very soon. im still trying to figure out what im going to feed it. the people it is with right now is feeding them a pure raw meat/ raw vegetable diet.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.515 / Virus Database: 313 - Release 01/09/03

I met someone who says they had a cat from a kitten who ate everything he ate vegetables the lot (all munch together).

I hear tin food has addictive substances in them..so that might be a dangerous option.

The Vegan Society sell Veggie supplement foods..maybe you could try them as well.

SJ

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.515 / Virus Database: 313 - Release 01/09/03To send an email to -

> I was just making the point that a tin of cooked

> chicken, sheep or other animal is no more natural for a cat than a vegan

> diet

Hi Jo,

Well I got the point loud and clear ;=) so I rather think others should

have too. At the risk of advocating shockingly unnatural practice, it

should be noted that cats raised completely indoors who have lots of

play time and stimulation seem very happy indeed - and that way they

don't destroy birds or other small animals (not counting the ones in the

catfood cans) or endanger their own health and safety. Otherwise a bell,

by all means ;=) - it would have needed to be the size of Big Ben for

one cat I had way back when in another lifetime *lol* My present boy

stays home.

Best,

Pat/Canada

--

SANTBROWN

townhounds/

http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/

----------

* " I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet " - Gandhi

* " The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of

animals as they now look upon the murder of men " - Leonardo da Vinci

----------

hi jo,

and in my experience, cats will just go next door for cat food if its not available at home........even my neighbours cat comes in to me, looking hopefull, when she is late home......

all he gets is a smile though, from me,

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: New gal >Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:28:17 EDT > >In a message dated 10/3/03 2:55:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, >acidfushin writes: > > > > I feel that if yu don't want to influence the diet of your cat you shouldn't > > feed it - let it catch it's own food - that's the only way for it to have > > a natural diet. Cooked meat from animals it could not normally catch and eat > > is not a natural diet. > > > >but, of course, domestic cats tend to congregate in small areas(think yer >neighborhood) and decimate small bird populations cuz there are sooo many in such >a small area.. >picture everyone you know that has a cat..now, think of every cat in yer >area, around the block, etc >now, picture those kitties as lions.... >wanna go fer a walk??? >:) Protect your PC from e-mail viruses. Get MSN 8 today.

I agree - I was not advocating not feeding cats. I was just pointing out that whatever owners feed to their cats is not a natural diet, so they might just as well feed them a vegan diet, or encourage them in that direction.

J

-

Catherine Harris

Sunday, October 05, 2003 3:47 PM

Re: New gal

hi jo,

and in my experience, cats will just go next door for cat food if its not available at home........even my neighbours cat comes in to me, looking hopefull, when she is late home......

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: New gal >Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:28:17 EDT > >In a message dated 10/3/03 2:55:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, >acidfushin writes: > > > > I feel that if yu don't want to influence the diet of your cat you shouldn't > > feed it - let it catch it's own food - that's the only way for it to have > > a natural diet. Cooked meat from animals it could not normally catch and eat > > is not a natural diet. > > > >but, of course, domestic cats tend to congregate in small areas(think yer >neighborhood) and decimate small bird populations cuz there are sooo many in such >a small area.. >picture everyone you know that has a cat..now, think of every cat in yer >area, around the block, etc >now, picture those kitties as lions.... >wanna go fer a walk??? >:)

Protect your PC from e-mail viruses. Get MSN 8 today.

To send an email to -

I agree.

SJ

-

Heartwork

Sunday, October 05, 2003 5:05 PM

I agree - I was not advocating not feeding cats. I was just pointing out that whatever owners feed to their cats is not a natural diet, so they might just as well feed them a vegan diet, or encourage them in that direction.

J

-

Catherine Harris

Sunday, October 05, 2003 3:47 PM

hi jo,

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: New gal >Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:28:17 EDT > >In a message dated 10/3/03 2:55:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, >acidfushin writes: > > > > I feel that if yu don't want to influence the diet of your cat you shouldn't > > feed it - let it catch it's own food - that's the only way for it to have > > a natural diet. Cooked meat from animals it could not normally catch and eat > > is not a natural diet. > > > >but, of course, domestic cats tend to congregate in small areas(think yer >neighborhood) and decimate small bird populations cuz there are sooo many in such >a small area.. >picture everyone you know that has a cat..now, think of every cat in yer >area, around the block, etc >now, picture those kitties as lions.... >wanna go fer a walk??? >:)

Protect your PC from e-mail viruses. Get MSN 8 today.

To send an email to -

Hi Jessica and WELCOME!

I honestly have no advice on the cat issue, especially since it is

one readily discussed here. But did want to stop by and welcome you.

Take care,

nikki :)

Why stay on earth unless to grow?

Anonymous

, " acidfushin " <acidfushin>

wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I'm kinda new to this whole thing... I was vegetarian for 2yrs,

then

> slowly become vegan, and have been vegan for the past year. I have

> to say I really admire those of you that have been vegan for so

many

> years!!!

>

> I was reading some Q & A sheet on the PETA site and there was a

> question about turning your feline into a vegan..I was just

> wondering what other peoples views are on this issue. I feel it is

> not my place to turn a natural carnivore into a vegan, though, I do

> realize that by buying this meat diet for my cat that I am indeed

> supporting everything that I am against!

>

> I was just curious..

>

> Chow

> Jessica

Hi Pat

I don't know a lot about cats, but I have a friend who keeps hers (3 cats) indoors, and also in a sort of caged extension to the house, and her cats seem very happy.

I also recently met my daughter's boyfriend's cat - a big brown and white fluffy cat called Mavis. She lives in a third floor flat, and never goes further than the 2nd floor. She seemed to be very happy also.

Jo

Hi Jo,Well I got the point loud and clear ;=) so I rather think others shouldhave too. At the risk of advocating shockingly unnatural practice, itshould be noted that cats raised completely indoors who have lots ofplay time and stimulation seem very happy indeed - and that way theydon't destroy birds or other small animals (not counting the ones in thecatfood cans) or endanger their own health and safety. Otherwise a bell,by all means ;=) - it would have needed to be the size of Big Ben forone cat I had way back when in another lifetime *lol* My present boystays home.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release 29/09/03

Well, all our cats have been indoor cats since the first one :=( and the

start of indoor cat keeping (what an awkward phrase, but you know what I

mean) provoked a lot of controversy way back when it was considered

cruel to bring them home at night, even. In our 15th floor apartment our

Misha doesn't have a choice - but he is a rescue cat and would have had

less options without our taking him in. He has always been indoors -

mostly caged in one 'shelter' or another as a kitten after being taken

from an very abusive and neglectful (yeah, both) indoor situation - and

we have provided lots of places for him to run and jump and hide etc.

(It's a roomy apartment from a cat point of view.) We've had him for

going on three years now, and he is a happy and lovely boy, full of the devil.

Thanks for your email and the support it gave ;=)

Best,

Pat/Canada

>

> Hi Pat

>

> I don't know a lot about cats, but I have a friend who keeps hers (3 cats)

> indoors, and also in a sort of caged extension to the house, and her cats

> seem very happy.

>

> I also recently met my daughter's boyfriend's cat - a big brown and white

> fluffy cat called Mavis. She lives in a third floor flat, and never goes

> further than the 2nd floor. She seemed to be very happy also.

--

SANTBROWN

townhounds/

http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/

----------

* " I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet " - Gandhi

* " The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of

animals as they now look upon the murder of men " - Leonardo da Vinci

----------

I'm sure your cat is happy. I can see no reason why a cat would prefer to be outside in the cold and wet when it can be warm and dry inside with lots of love.

Jo

Well, all our cats have been indoor cats since the first one :=( and thestart of indoor cat keeping (what an awkward phrase, but you know what Imean) provoked a lot of controversy way back when it was consideredcruel to bring them home at night, even. In our 15th floor apartment ourMisha doesn't have a choice - but he is a rescue cat and would have hadless options without our taking him in. He has always been indoors -mostly caged in one 'shelter' or another as a kitten after being takenfrom an very abusive and neglectful (yeah, both) indoor situation - andwe have provided lots of places for him to run and jump and hide etc.(It's a roomy apartment from a cat point of view.) We've had him forgoing on three years now, and he is a happy and lovely boy, full of the devil.Thanks for your email and the support it gave ;=)Best,Pat/Canada> > Hi Pat> > I don't know a lot about cats, but I have a friend who keeps hers (3 cats)> indoors, and also in a sort of caged extension to the house, and her cats> seem very happy.> > I also recently met my daughter's boyfriend's cat - a big brown and white> fluffy cat called Mavis. She lives in a third floor flat, and never goes> further than the 2nd floor. She seemed to be very happy also.-- SANTBROWNtownhounds/http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release 29/09/03