IndiaDivine.org

request

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi cynthia,

my town has many busses, one every hour, going all kinds of ways.

but people don't take them. they are all empty.

people like to ride in the privacy/comodity of their own car.

they've even reduced the price to 50 cents.

I have just realized theres no cents symbol on my keyboard!!! where

is it? don't cents matter anymore?

anyways, I believe that it's people's attitude that are keeping the

buses empty.

in nyc, there are now new HYbrid buses, this is a very good thing

I am glad to see, they are very quiet.

perhaps other cities will adopt these buses.

, " Cynthia Gadarian " <cgadarian@a...>

wrote:

> Thanks, cutie.

>

>

> cram in more people standing and use less subway cars, so I would

have the

> pleasure of standing for most of the trip.

>

> Sorry.

>

> Does someone have any idea why: as the need for public

transportation goes

> up, the quality of public transportation goes down?

>

>

>

> Cynthia

>

>

simple

no money

they haven't invested in public transportation in a billion years Cynthia Gadarian Sep 24, 2005 7:57 PM RE: Request

\

No carpools want to drive where I need to drive. It takes me 1 hr. 15 min. each way by car. It would take me 3 hours each way to take: Commuter train <choo choo>, subway and bus, AND It would be more expensive even with the gasoline prices AND The Subways are actually REMOVING seats from the subway trains to cram in more people standing and use less subway cars, so I would have the pleasure of standing for most of the trip.

Sorry.

Does someone have any idea why: as the need for public transportation goes up, the quality of public transportation goes down?

Cynthi

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

how to tell organic

it'll say it..smack dab on the label

dunno how easy it is to find organic wine in maryland..here ican just pop down to berkeley bowl or whole foods....and even bevmo has a selection

starbux..i like the *we* part

:)

why..besides they are a soul sucking major corporation that pretends to play it hip and are cool and all that, and have been plagued with greenwashing charges, especially in europe?

well..here's a letter to the CEO

Dear Orin Smith,

As a concerned coffee consumer, I am upset about the current policies and practices of Starbucks.

I am upset that Starbucks is refusing to brew and serve Fair Trade coffee in its cafes on a weekly basis. As you know, wages and working conditions for small coffee producers and plantation workers who supply your company with its primary product are horrible. With Fair Trade coffee, growers get $1.26 per pound. With regular gourmet coffee, growers receive a fraction of that price. Most of the money goes to middlemen and not the grower. As you also know, shade-grown Fair Trade coffee is much better for the environment, helping to preserve biodiversity and the precious habitat of migratory birds and other creatures, as well as being safer for coffee workers.

I am also concerned with Starbucks purchasing of chocolate for your beverages and desserts. Cocoa is grown under labor conditions which violate the basic human rights of millions of farmers and farm workers, some of whom, are actually slaves. Fair Trade chocolate assures cocoa growers a fair price for the cocoa they grow.

I am upset about the introduction of untested, unlabeled, and potentially hazardous genetically engineered ingredients -- without my knowledge -- into the foods that I consume and serve to my family. I am dismayed to learn that Starbucks allows recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) and other genetically engineered ingredients (soy and soy derivatives, corn sweeteners, etc.) in your coffee beverages, ice cream, chocolate, and baked goods.

I have reviewed the current information on genetically engineered foods and crops and I'm gravely concerned about the effects they could have on human health and the environment. Since these foods have been rushed to market, there has been no time to conduct long-term human health studies. Numerous scientists have warned that genetic engineering could likely introduce allergens and novel toxins into food, could lower its nutritional value, and in the case of milk produced with genetically engineered bovine growth hormone (rBGH), possibly increase the risk of cancer. I would like to see Starbucks publicly state that you are removing all genetically engineered ingredients from your brand-name products and that you will label your bottled coffee beverages and ice cream as certified rBGH free (or organic).

If you cannot guarantee me in writing that you are moving to banish untested, unlabeled rBGH and other genetically engineered food ingredients from your brand-name products, brewing and promoting Fair Trade coffee in all your cafes on a weekly basis, and using and promoting Fair Trade chocolate--you leave me no choice but to boycott your products, and to tell everyone else I know to do the same thing. I look forward to receiving a response from you in writing.

Sincerely Cynthia Gadarian Sep 24, 2005 7:57 PM RE: Request

Thanks, cutie.

(How do I tell if Chianti or some other beverage is organic?)

(Second naïve question: Why do we hate Starbucks?) [Of course, now that I know my guru’s views on this topic – The Great Fraggle – you will not catch me going near the place.]

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

Hi Cynthia

> (Second naïve question: Why do we hate Starbucks?) [Of course, now that I know my guru’s views on this topic – The

> Great Fraggle – you will not catch me going near the place.]

They use virtually no Fair Trade - less than .001% of their total sales.

They're a member of Con International... the "fake" environmental group which includes McD*****lds, Disney, Shell, HP, Pepsi, etc.

They've been involved in the forcible eviction of communities in the Chiapas to provide slave labour.

BB

Peter

Talking of Mcdeath burger, has anyone else heard about them replacing That clown with a nubile new (femail) mascot in China?

The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Cynthia

> (Second naïve question: Why do we hate Starbucks?) [Of course, now that I know my guru’s views on this topic – The

> Great Fraggle – you will not catch me going near the place.]

They use virtually no Fair Trade - less than .001% of their total sales.

They're a member of Con International... the "fake" environmental group which includes McD*****lds, Disney, Shell, HP, Pepsi, etc.

They've been involved in the forcible eviction of communities in the Chiapas to provide slave labour.

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Yuck.

Lynda, who'll stick with organic wines from winerys she knows which contain nothing but grapes!

-

peter hurd

Monday, September 26, 2005 12:47 PM

Re: Request

Fining - use isinglass ( swim bladder of fish), blood, or caesin from milk.

The Valley Vegan............

Good luck with that. If you can find their web site, worth asking the question what do they use to clarify/fine the wine. I do with breweries and find I usually get an honest ( if suspicious) answer.

The Valley Vegan...........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Yuck.

Lynda, who'll stick with organic wines from winerys she knows which contain nothing but grapes!

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan............Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Bottles usually state "natural settling and racking."

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:21 PM

Good luck with that. If you can find their web site, worth asking the question what do they use to clarify/fine the wine. I do with breweries and find I usually get an honest ( if suspicious) answer.

Yuck.

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release 9/23/2005

May still go through a fining process, best to check with einery/producer.

The Valley Vegan...........

Codi bys bach To imbibe Lynda <lurine wrote:

Bottles usually state "natural settling and racking."

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:21 PM

Yuck.

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release 9/23/2005Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

• 1 year later...

Would you prefer something like .25 tsp rather than 1/4?

Cindi

Annice Grinberg <annice wrote:

Please don't use fractional characters when posting your recipes. They

are

unreadable in my mailer (and others, I'm sure), and I have to guess whether

the amount is 1/2, 1/4 or something else.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Annice

Actually 1-slash-2 (1/2) or 1-slash-4 (1/4) are fine. It's just when the

special fractional characters are used (1-over-2, 1-over-4) that I have

problems.

Annice

Cindi wrote:

Would you prefer something like .25 tsp rather than 1/4?

Cindi

Annice Grinberg <annice <annice%40grinberg.info>> wrote:

Please don't use fractional characters when posting your recipes. They are

the amount is 1/2, 1/4 or something else.

Annice asked us to " Please don't use fractional characters when posting

your recipes. They are

the amount is 1/2, 1/4 or something else. "

Here is a simple fix, which at least works in Microsoft Word: Before you

send in a recipe, put the cursor just after the fractional characters,

backspace and retype the fraction again. The second time, Word will let you

use multiple characters for the fraction rather than reduce it to a symbol.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

from Maida

Citizens for Pets in Condos, Inc. www.petsincondos.org - a Florida

non-profit corporation

South Florida Vegetarian Events www.soflavegevents.net

<http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/gateway.aspx?S=5176697856>

• 2 years later...