> Guinea pig supplier wins case

>

> Oct 15 2003

>

> By Neil Connor, Birmingham Post

>

> A Staffordshire farm supplying guinea pigs to a company which tests drugs

> on live animals may have won a decisive battle against animal rights

> activists following a High Court ruling.

> Campaigners could be banned from protesting outside Darley Oaks Farm, in

> Newchurch, after an order preventing demonstrations outside Huntingdon

Life

> Sciences was extended.

> Huntingdon is a customer of Darley Oaks Farm and High Court judge Mr

> Justice Owen ruled that temporary exclusion orders under the Protection

from

> Harassment Act would also protect the suppliers of the

Cambridgeshire-based

> firm.

> The Darley Oaks Farm, which is owned by the Hall family, has been

targeted

> by several homemade bombs in the last few years because of it's links with

> Huntingdon.

> Electricity supplies to the farm's local area have also been cut on four

> occasions by animal extremists. The judge's orders mean protesters will

not

> be able to go within 100 yards of the offices of suppliers to Huntingdon

> except for peaceful protests of no more than 12 activists once a week.

> Directors and employees had been subjected to harassment " of a very

serious

> nature intended to intimidate and terrify " , the judge said.

> Huntingdon won similar orders in June which banned members of Stop

> Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (Shac) from approaching the drugs-testing

company'

> s headquarters and the homes of its employees. Activists say they will

> challenge the ban, which uses a law designed to protect the victims of

> stalkers.

It would be good if there were several thousand activists who could form a protest circle 100 yards all the way round the place!

Jo

This is crap. They're allowed to torture and kill animals yet we're notallowed to demonstrate?

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release 29/09/03

sorry for my language here, buts that complete shit. i really cant believe this is happening. here is my question, lets say, we want to protest a fur shop. if this small fur shop (one of the few main whole salers in utah), they can take us to court and not allow us to protest in front of their shop?"Shari" <shari wrote:

This is crap. They're allowed to torture and kill animals yet we're notallowed to demonstrate?<3Shari Black Velvet> Guinea pig supplier wins case>> Oct 15 2003>> By Neil Connor, Birmingham Post>> A Staffordshire farm supplying guinea pigs to a company which tests drugs> on live animals may have won a decisive battle against animal rights> activists following a High Court ruling.> Campaigners could be banned from protesting outside Darley Oaks Farm, in> Newchurch, after an order preventing demonstrations outside HuntingdonLife> Sciences was extended.> Huntingdon is a customer of Darley Oaks Farm and High Court judge Mr> Justice Owen ruled that temporary exclusion orders under the Protectionfrom> Harassment Act

would also protect the suppliers of theCambridgeshire-based> firm.> The Darley Oaks Farm, which is owned by the Hall family, has beentargeted> by several homemade bombs in the last few years because of it's links with> Huntingdon.> Electricity supplies to the farm's local area have also been cut on four> occasions by animal extremists. The judge's orders mean protesters willnot> be able to go within 100 yards of the offices of suppliers to Huntingdon> except for peaceful protests of no more than 12 activists once a week.> Directors and employees had been subjected to harassment "of a veryserious> nature intended to intimidate and terrify", the judge said.> Huntingdon won similar orders in June which banned members of Stop> Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (Shac) from approaching the drugs-testingcompany'> s headquarters and the homes of its employees.

Activists say they will> challenge the ban, which uses a law designed to protect the victims of> stalkers.To send an email to -

I believe that's exactly what happened with a couple of London fur

shops - Zwirn's was it?

Looks like they're getting seriously worried. Good. Bad precedent

though, banning peaceful protest. None of this will stop the

*really* effective actions of course.

, jj freeman <xxxveganxx> wrote:

> sorry for my language here, buts that complete shit. i really cant

believe this is happening. here is my question, lets say, we want to

protest a fur shop. if this small fur shop (one of the few main

whole salers in utah), they can take us to court and not allow us to

protest in front of their shop?

It sounds like they can! I suppose it depends what type of demonstration it is though. They might not bother unless there is trouble, I suppose.

Jo

sorry for my language here, buts that complete shit. i really cant believe this is happening. here is my question, lets say, we want to protest a fur shop. if this small fur shop (one of the few main whole salers in utah), they can take us to court and not allow us to protest in front of their shop?

In a message dated 10/17/03 5:03:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time, xxxveganxx writes:

if this small fur shop (one of the few main whole salers in utah), they can take us to court and not allow us to protest in front of their shop?

in the US, you can protest as long as you don't block the sidewalk or their doorway...