IndiaDivine.org

Whisky Cake

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A little while ago we were discussing whisky cake, and someone (sorry - I cannot remember who) asked for the recipe. There are two recipes I have used - both successfully.

This is from 'The Cake Scoffer' by Ronny:

8 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 2 oz Glace Cherries, 6 oz Mixed Dried Fruit, 5 fl oz Vegetable oil, 8 fl oz Water, 1 tbsp Mixed Spices, dash of Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Brandy or Rum (I use whisky).

Put everything except the oil, water and alcohol in a large bowl and stir together until all the ingredients are well acquainted.

Add the oil and water. Mix briefly, then pour into a greased cake tin.

Bake for 30 mins at gas 5 (190C) then turn the oven down to gas 3 and bake for further 15-20 mins.

When the cake is cooling, spoon the alcohol over it slowly until it is absorbed. I do this a few times to make it taste nice and whisky-y.

The Second is from 'Vegan Baking' by Linda Majzlik:

1 lb Mixed Dried Fruit, 9 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Glace Cherries (quartered), 4 oz Mrgarine, 3 oz Dark Molasses Sugar, 2 oz Dried Dates (finely chopped), 2 oz Soya Flour, 4 fl oz Soya Milk, juice and peel of 1 Orange (I leave this out as I am intolerant of orange), juice and peel of 1 Lemon, 3 tbs Brandy and extra Brandy (I use Whisky), 1 rounded tbs Molasses, 1 rounded tsp Ground Allspice, 1 rounded tsp Ground Mixed Spice.

Put the ixed fruit, glace cherries, dates, orange and lemon juice and peel, 3 tablespoons of whisky, ground allspice and mixed spice in a bowl and stir well. Cover and leave overnight in a coold place or in the fridge.

Cream the margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the soya flour with the soya milk until creamy and add. Mix thoroughly, then stir in the marinated fruit mix. Gradually add the flour until well mixed.

Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 8 inch deep cake tin, even the top, and cover with foil.

Bake at Gas 2 (150C) for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for further 30-40 minutes.

Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then spoon about two tablespoons of whisky over the top of the cake. Remove cake from tin and allow to cool.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

Hi,

That was me who asked...So thanks!

John

, " Heartwork " <Heartwork@o...> wrote:

> A little while ago we were discussing whisky cake, and someone

(sorry - I cannot remember who) asked for the recipe. There are two

recipes I have used - both successfully.

>

> This is from 'The Cake Scoffer' by Ronny:

>

> 8 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 2 oz Glace

Cherries, 6 oz Mixed Dried Fruit, 5 fl oz Vegetable oil, 8 fl oz

Water, 1 tbsp Mixed Spices, dash of Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Brandy or

Rum (I use whisky).

>

> Put everything except the oil, water and alcohol in a large bowl

and stir together until all the ingredients are well acquainted.

>

> Add the oil and water. Mix briefly, then pour into a greased cake

tin.

>

> Bake for 30 mins at gas 5 (190C) then turn the oven down to gas 3

and bake for further 15-20 mins.

>

> When the cake is cooling, spoon the alcohol over it slowly until it

is absorbed. I do this a few times to make it taste nice and whisky-

y.

>

> The Second is from 'Vegan Baking' by Linda Majzlik:

>

> 1 lb Mixed Dried Fruit, 9 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Glace Cherries

(quartered), 4 oz Mrgarine, 3 oz Dark Molasses Sugar, 2 oz Dried

Dates (finely chopped), 2 oz Soya Flour, 4 fl oz Soya Milk, juice and

peel of 1 Orange (I leave this out as I am intolerant of orange),

juice and peel of 1 Lemon, 3 tbs Brandy and extra Brandy (I use

Whisky), 1 rounded tbs Molasses, 1 rounded tsp Ground Allspice, 1

rounded tsp Ground Mixed Spice.

>

> Put the ixed fruit, glace cherries, dates, orange and lemon juice

and peel, 3 tablespoons of whisky, ground allspice and mixed spice in

a bowl and stir well. Cover and leave overnight in a coold place or

in the fridge.

>

> Cream the margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large mixing

bowl. Whisk the soya flour with the soya milk until creamy and add.

Mix thoroughly, then stir in the marinated fruit mix. Gradually add

the flour until well mixed.

>

> Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 8 inch deep cake tin,

even the top, and cover with foil.

>

> Bake at Gas 2 (150C) for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for

further 30-40 minutes.

>

> Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then spoon about two

tablespoons of whisky over the top of the cake. Remove cake from tin

and allow to cool.

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

haha, I love the part in that recipe about the ingredients being well acquainted.

'Hello flour, have yo met sugar'

'Why, I don't think I've had the pleasure yet'

etc etc

Guess who's bored at work.

mcxg46 [mcxg46]31 October 2003 12:51 Subject: Re: Whisky CakeHi,That was me who asked...So thanks!John , "Heartwork" <Heartwork@o...> wrote:> A little while ago we were discussing whisky cake, and someone (sorry - I cannot remember who) asked for the recipe. There are two recipes I have used - both successfully.> > This is from 'The Cake Scoffer' by Ronny:> > 8 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 2 oz Glace Cherries, 6 oz Mixed Dried Fruit, 5 fl oz Vegetable oil, 8 fl oz Water, 1 tbsp Mixed Spices, dash of Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Brandy or Rum (I use whisky).> > Put everything except the oil, water and alcohol in a large bowl and stir together until all the ingredients are well acquainted.> > Add the oil and water. Mix briefly, then pour into a greased cake tin.> > Bake for 30 mins at gas 5 (190C) then turn the oven down to gas 3 and bake for further 15-20 mins.> > When the cake is cooling, spoon the alcohol over it slowly until it is absorbed. I do this a few times to make it taste nice and whisky-y.> > The Second is from 'Vegan Baking' by Linda Majzlik:> > 1 lb Mixed Dried Fruit, 9 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Glace Cherries (quartered), 4 oz Mrgarine, 3 oz Dark Molasses Sugar, 2 oz Dried Dates (finely chopped), 2 oz Soya Flour, 4 fl oz Soya Milk, juice and peel of 1 Orange (I leave this out as I am intolerant of orange), juice and peel of 1 Lemon, 3 tbs Brandy and extra Brandy (I use Whisky), 1 rounded tbs Molasses, 1 rounded tsp Ground Allspice, 1 rounded tsp Ground Mixed Spice.> > Put the ixed fruit, glace cherries, dates, orange and lemon juice and peel, 3 tablespoons of whisky, ground allspice and mixed spice in a bowl and stir well. Cover and leave overnight in a coold place or in the fridge.> > Cream the margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the soya flour with the soya milk until creamy and add. Mix thoroughly, then stir in the marinated fruit mix. Gradually add the flour until well mixed.> > Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 8 inch deep cake tin, even the top, and cover with foil.> > Bake at Gas 2 (150C) for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for further 30-40 minutes.> > Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then spoon about two tablespoons of whisky over the top of the cake. Remove cake from tin and allow to cool.> > > ---> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).> Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03To send an email to -

Sorry John - I knew someone had asked. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Jo

-

mcxg46

Friday, October 31, 2003 12:50 PM

Re: Whisky Cake

Hi,That was me who asked...So thanks!John , "Heartwork" <Heartwork@o...> wrote:> A little while ago we were discussing whisky cake, and someone (sorry - I cannot remember who) asked for the recipe. There are two recipes I have used - both successfully.> > This is from 'The Cake Scoffer' by Ronny:> > 8 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 2 oz Glace Cherries, 6 oz Mixed Dried Fruit, 5 fl oz Vegetable oil, 8 fl oz Water, 1 tbsp Mixed Spices, dash of Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Brandy or Rum (I use whisky).> > Put everything except the oil, water and alcohol in a large bowl and stir together until all the ingredients are well acquainted.> > Add the oil and water. Mix briefly, then pour into a greased cake tin.> > Bake for 30 mins at gas 5 (190C) then turn the oven down to gas 3 and bake for further 15-20 mins.> > When the cake is cooling, spoon the alcohol over it slowly until it is absorbed. I do this a few times to make it taste nice and whisky-y.> > The Second is from 'Vegan Baking' by Linda Majzlik:> > 1 lb Mixed Dried Fruit, 9 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Glace Cherries (quartered), 4 oz Mrgarine, 3 oz Dark Molasses Sugar, 2 oz Dried Dates (finely chopped), 2 oz Soya Flour, 4 fl oz Soya Milk, juice and peel of 1 Orange (I leave this out as I am intolerant of orange), juice and peel of 1 Lemon, 3 tbs Brandy and extra Brandy (I use Whisky), 1 rounded tbs Molasses, 1 rounded tsp Ground Allspice, 1 rounded tsp Ground Mixed Spice.> > Put the ixed fruit, glace cherries, dates, orange and lemon juice and peel, 3 tablespoons of whisky, ground allspice and mixed spice in a bowl and stir well. Cover and leave overnight in a coold place or in the fridge.> > Cream the margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the soya flour with the soya milk until creamy and add. Mix thoroughly, then stir in the marinated fruit mix. Gradually add the flour until well mixed.> > Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 8 inch deep cake tin, even the top, and cover with foil.> > Bake at Gas 2 (150C) for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for further 30-40 minutes.> > Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then spoon about two tablespoons of whisky over the top of the cake. Remove cake from tin and allow to cool.> > > ---> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).> Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

To send an email to -

Hi Lee

Not too bored I hope - although work isn't usually inspiring. I cannot take credit for the 'acquanted' in the recipe - it was in the original.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Friday, October 31, 2003 1:00 PM

RE: Re: Whisky Cake

haha, I love the part in that recipe about the ingredients being well acquainted.

etc etc

mcxg46 [mcxg46]31 October 2003 12:51 Subject: Re: Whisky CakeHi,That was me who asked...So thanks!John , "Heartwork" <Heartwork@o...> wrote:> A little while ago we were discussing whisky cake, and someone (sorry - I cannot remember who) asked for the recipe. There are two recipes I have used - both successfully.> > This is from 'The Cake Scoffer' by Ronny:> > 8 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 2 oz Glace Cherries, 6 oz Mixed Dried Fruit, 5 fl oz Vegetable oil, 8 fl oz Water, 1 tbsp Mixed Spices, dash of Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Brandy or Rum (I use whisky).> > Put everything except the oil, water and alcohol in a large bowl and stir together until all the ingredients are well acquainted.> > Add the oil and water. Mix briefly, then pour into a greased cake tin.> > Bake for 30 mins at gas 5 (190C) then turn the oven down to gas 3 and bake for further 15-20 mins.> > When the cake is cooling, spoon the alcohol over it slowly until it is absorbed. I do this a few times to make it taste nice and whisky-y.> > The Second is from 'Vegan Baking' by Linda Majzlik:> > 1 lb Mixed Dried Fruit, 9 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Glace Cherries (quartered), 4 oz Mrgarine, 3 oz Dark Molasses Sugar, 2 oz Dried Dates (finely chopped), 2 oz Soya Flour, 4 fl oz Soya Milk, juice and peel of 1 Orange (I leave this out as I am intolerant of orange), juice and peel of 1 Lemon, 3 tbs Brandy and extra Brandy (I use Whisky), 1 rounded tbs Molasses, 1 rounded tsp Ground Allspice, 1 rounded tsp Ground Mixed Spice.> > Put the ixed fruit, glace cherries, dates, orange and lemon juice and peel, 3 tablespoons of whisky, ground allspice and mixed spice in a bowl and stir well. Cover and leave overnight in a coold place or in the fridge.> > Cream the margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the soya flour with the soya milk until creamy and add. Mix thoroughly, then stir in the marinated fruit mix. Gradually add the flour until well mixed.> > Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 8 inch deep cake tin, even the top, and cover with foil.> > Bake at Gas 2 (150C) for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for further 30-40 minutes.> > Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then spoon about two tablespoons of whisky over the top of the cake. Remove cake from tin and allow to cool.> > > ---> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).> Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03To send an email to -

ah Jo, you shouldn't have told me and then I'd have kept on thinking you're a comedy genius.

I'm constantly bored at work, its a serious hazard that comes with the territory, but then who isn't usually bored at work?

Heartwork [Heartwork]01 November 2003 17:19 Subject: Re: Re: Whisky Cake

Hi Lee

Not too bored I hope - although work isn't usually inspiring. I cannot take credit for the 'acquanted' in the recipe - it was in the original.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

etc etc

Lee

I'm always amazed at how long a working day is, and how short a weekend day is. It doesn't matter whether I am doing something reasonably interesting at work, or doing not much at all at home - this feeling of the passage of time always applies.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Monday, November 03, 2003 12:29 PM

ah Jo, you shouldn't have told me and then I'd have kept on thinking you're a comedy genius.

I'm constantly bored at work, its a serious hazard that comes with the territory, but then who isn't usually bored at work?

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

etc etc

You sound like I wise old sage, I like it.

Heartwork [Heartwork]03 November 2003 18:25 Subject: Re: Re: Whisky Cake

Lee

I'm always amazed at how long a working day is, and how short a weekend day is. It doesn't matter whether I am doing something reasonably interesting at work, or doing not much at all at home - this feeling of the passage of time always applies.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Monday, November 03, 2003 12:29 PM

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

etc etc

MMMmmm!

Looks yummy!

Thx Jo!

nikki :)

, " Heartwork " <Heartwork@o...> wrote:

> A little while ago we were discussing whisky cake, and someone

(sorry - I cannot remember who) asked for the recipe. There are two

recipes I have used - both successfully.

>

> This is from 'The Cake Scoffer' by Ronny:

>

> 8 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 2 oz Glace

Cherries, 6 oz Mixed Dried Fruit, 5 fl oz Vegetable oil, 8 fl oz

Water, 1 tbsp Mixed Spices, dash of Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Brandy or

Rum (I use whisky).

>

> Put everything except the oil, water and alcohol in a large bowl

and stir together until all the ingredients are well acquainted.

>

> Add the oil and water. Mix briefly, then pour into a greased cake

tin.

>

> Bake for 30 mins at gas 5 (190C) then turn the oven down to gas 3

and bake for further 15-20 mins.

>

> When the cake is cooling, spoon the alcohol over it slowly until it

is absorbed. I do this a few times to make it taste nice and whisky-

y.

>

> The Second is from 'Vegan Baking' by Linda Majzlik:

>

> 1 lb Mixed Dried Fruit, 9 oz SR Flour, 4 oz Glace Cherries

(quartered), 4 oz Mrgarine, 3 oz Dark Molasses Sugar, 2 oz Dried

Dates (finely chopped), 2 oz Soya Flour, 4 fl oz Soya Milk, juice and

peel of 1 Orange (I leave this out as I am intolerant of orange),

juice and peel of 1 Lemon, 3 tbs Brandy and extra Brandy (I use

Whisky), 1 rounded tbs Molasses, 1 rounded tsp Ground Allspice, 1

rounded tsp Ground Mixed Spice.

>

> Put the ixed fruit, glace cherries, dates, orange and lemon juice

and peel, 3 tablespoons of whisky, ground allspice and mixed spice in

a bowl and stir well. Cover and leave overnight in a coold place or

in the fridge.

>

> Cream the margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large mixing

bowl. Whisk the soya flour with the soya milk until creamy and add.

Mix thoroughly, then stir in the marinated fruit mix. Gradually add

the flour until well mixed.

>

> Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 8 inch deep cake tin,

even the top, and cover with foil.

>

> Bake at Gas 2 (150C) for 2 hours. Remove the foil and cook for

further 30-40 minutes.

>

> Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour, then spoon about two

tablespoons of whisky over the top of the cake. Remove cake from tin

and allow to cool.

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03