IndiaDivine.org

Points of View

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ummm Jo, If everybody had the same of point of view we probably wouldn't have these groups in the first place. It's pretty much a given that when you say something it's from YOUR point of view. There will be a certain amount of people on these groups that will agree and will disagree and may even hurt a feeling or two in the process (Obviously It's generally not somebody's intent to do that). But I don't think we should have to be over politically correct in order to state a case!!

Thanks!!

Suzanne <><

Abortion...the worst form of Child Abuse!!

MichaelClancy.com

Please join OneMillionMoms.com or OneMillionDads.com to stop trash on TV!

Heartwork <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Yasmin

While I appreciate you explaining your point of view, you must remember that not everyone sees things the same way as you.

If the Lord brings you to it....he will bring you through it!

The email I was answering was stating a case as fact and one with which I disagree. I was stating that not everyone agrees with that scenario - I cannot see a problem with that.

Jo

-

DarinSuzyGates

Sunday, November 09, 2003 5:38 PM

Points of View

Ummm Jo, If everybody had the same of point of view we probably wouldn't have these groups in the first place. It's pretty much a given that when you say something it's from YOUR point of view. There will be a certain amount of people on these groups that will agree and will disagree and may even hurt a feeling or two in the process (Obviously It's generally not somebody's intent to do that). But I don't think we should have to be over politically correct in order to state a case!!Thanks!!Suzanne <><Abortion...the worst form of Child Abuse!!MichaelClancy.comPlease join OneMillionMoms.com or OneMillionDads.com to stop trash on TV!

Heartwork <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Yasmin While I appreciate you explaining your point of view, you must remember that not everyone sees things the same way as you. If the Lord brings you to it....he will bring you through it!

To send an email to -

Hi Suzanne

> Ummm Jo, If everybody had the same of point of view we probably wouldn't have these

> groups in the first place. It's pretty much a given that when you say something it's from

> YOUR point of view. There will be a certain amount of people on these groups that will

> agree and will disagree and may even hurt a feeling or two in the process (Obviously It's

> generally not somebody's intent to do that). But I don't think we should have to be over

> politically correct in order to state a case!!

What you need to remember is that most Pagans have been brought up being told that they will go to hell if they don't believe in Christianity. We have even been the subject of official state and church persecution in most of the Western world within living memory, simply because we have a point of view which differs from the official one. It therefore grates considerably with many of us when people start saying "the only way to God is....", because the simple fact is there are many billions of ways to "God" / "The Source", or whatever you want to call it. Christianity is one perfectly valid method, but it is the attitude of "only we are correct" which has led to a significant level of torture and death of those who disagree.

It might be worth considering saying something like... "the best way for me to connect with God is...", rather than "the *only* way is...". You might also find that people will listen to what you say more if you don't automatically assume that everyone else's views are inferior.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

-

Peter

Sunday, November 09, 2003 7:44 PM

Re: Points of View

Hi Suzanne

> Ummm Jo, If everybody had the same of point of view we probably wouldn't have these

> groups in the first place. It's pretty much a given that when you say something it's from

> YOUR point of view. There will be a certain amount of people on these groups that will

> agree and will disagree and may even hurt a feeling or two in the process (Obviously It's

> generally not somebody's intent to do that). But I don't think we should have to be over

> politically correct in order to state a case!!

What you need to remember is that most Pagans have been brought up being told that they will go to hell if they don't believe in Christianity. We have even been the subject of official state and church persecution in most of the Western world within living memory, simply because we have a point of view which differs from the official one. It therefore grates considerably with many of us when people start saying "the only way to God is....", because the simple fact is there are many billions of ways to "God" / "The Source", or whatever you want to call it. Christianity is one perfectly valid method, but it is the attitude of "only we are correct" which has led to a significant level of torture and death of those who disagree.

It might be worth considering saying something like... "the best way for me to connect with God is...", rather than "the *only* way is...>

Peter I think the point she was making is the very point you are making to her...She is not referring to her own opinion..but that of some Christians.

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

To send an email to -

Hi Simon

> Peter I think the point she was making is the very point you are making to her...She is not referring to her own opinion..but that

> of some Christians.

I think we're losing track of the point a bit here. The original point (and I forget now who made it) was that people don't like being preached at (a la "this is the only way, everyone else is wrong"). Anyone who makes a statement that theirs is the only way, really only shows their own closed-mindedness.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

I understand that Christians fear what might happen to them if they don't believe what they have been told. I also understand that, when a Christian tells me that I may go to hell if I don't believe the same as them, they may be telling me because they care what happens to me. Some Christians find it impossible to understand that I do not agree with them and am not held in the grip of fear. This is when attempted discussion can be unsatisfactory.

I also know Christians, like you Simon, who can discuss spiritual matters quite satisfactorily, where we find our common ground.

Unfortunately a lot of 'religious' discussions miss out any spiritual content at all and leave one with an empty feeling rather than enriched - which surely would be the best outcome of any spiritual discussion!

Bright blessings

Jo

Peter I think the point she was making is the very point you are making to her...She is not referring to her own opinion..but that of some Christians.

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 23/10/03

It would be very ignorant of me to pretend, that I could speak for something which created be call it God, Nature etc)

My belief is a lot of non Christian do more good works than some so called Christians..which they do!....by using actions, AR groups,Greenpeace etc..

You could be far more blessed in this life for your actions than I. Though I believe and hope everyone would change their actions to try and do good.. including myself..to do more good.

Night

Simon

-

Heartwork

Sunday, November 09, 2003 11:30 PM

Re: Points of View

I understand that Christians fear what might happen to them if they don't believe what they have been told. I also understand that, when a Christian tells me that I may go to hell if I don't believe the same as them, they may be telling me because they care what happens to me. Some Christians find it impossible to understand that I do not agree with them and am not held in the grip of fear. This is when attempted discussion can be unsatisfactory.

I also know Christians, like you Simon, who can discuss spiritual matters quite satisfactorily, where we find our common ground.

Unfortunately a lot of 'religious' discussions miss out any spiritual content at all and leave one with an empty feeling rather than enriched - which surely would be the best outcome of any spiritual discussion!

Bright blessings

Jo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 23/10/03To send an email to -

Hi Suzanne

Again, I highly doubt Jo meant any harm here either. I think she was

just trying to keep everyone's views respected and allowed. Including

his.

But, I should stop speaking fer Jo now, she does that well herself

imo. I just want to say that i understood where I thought she was

speaking from.

nikki :)

, DarinSuzyGates@a... wrote:

> Ummm Jo, If everybody had the same of point of view we probably

wouldn't

> have these groups in the first place. It's pretty much a given

that when you say

> something it's from YOUR point of view. There will be a certain

amount of

> people on these groups that will agree and will disagree and may

even hurt a

> feeling or two in the process (Obviously It's generally not

somebody's intent to

> do that). But I don't think we should have to be over politically

correct in

> order to state a case!!

>

> Thanks!!

> Suzanne <><

> Abortion...the worst form of Child Abuse!!

>

> MichaelClancy.com

>

> Please join OneMillionMoms.com or OneMillionDads.com to stop trash

on TV!

> > Heartwork <<A HREF= " Heartwork@o... " >Heartwork@o...</A>>

wrote:

> >

> > >> Hi Yasmin

> >>

> >> While I appreciate you explaining your point of view, you must

remember

> >> that not everyone sees things the same way as you.

> >>

> >>

> >

>

>

> If the Lord brings you to it....he will bring you through it!