Recipes For A Vegan Thanksgiving – Side Dishes

Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:

1 bag of fresh cranberries

1 cup sugar

1 cup apricot brandy

a little bit of lemon juice (optional)

Directions:

Wash the cranberries and pick out the bad ones. In a large pot mix the cranberries, sugar, and brandy. Cook on a burner for 40 minutes on medium/low heat.* Can be served warm but I find that it's best when chilled.

*Admin note: This recipe used to say to combine everything in an oven-proof pan and cook in an oven for 2 hours at 350F; however, a user reported that the brandy caused an explosion in her oven.

Super Fast & Easy Outstanding Vegan Gravy

Ingredients:

2 cans vegan vegetable barley soup* (NOT condensed, "Amy's Organics" is really good for this recipe)

1 - 2 cups mushrooms, amount to taste, thinly sliced. Plain old button are fine, any fancier kind are good, too.

1 - 2 tbs. olive or vegetable oil

2 tsp. Tekka** (or to taste)

fresh parsley to taste, chopped (about 1/2 cup is good), optional

Directions:

Totally puree both cans of soup in a blender until all barley lumps are gone and texture is silky and smooth.

Heat oil in a small skillet and gently sauté mushrooms until tender. Add parsley mid-way if you want to use parsley. (You can add other flourishes like some minced shallot, a couple of tablespoons of wine, etc., at this point if you want, but they are really not necessary.)

When mushrooms are soft, add the pureed soup and heat through. Add tekka to taste and allow the whole thing to simmer gently (DO NOT BOIL) for up about 4 minutes.

That's it.

NOTES:

* If you are a purist, of course, you can make your own vegetable barley soup or use left-overs (about 3 cups). Just make sure the barley is somewhat overcooked so you don't get lumps. If you can only find concentrated or condensed soup, use one can of soup and add half a can of water in the blender, then more water as needed for consistency when heating it up.

** Tekka is a traditional Japanese condiment available in most health food stores' macrobiotic section. Eden is the easiest brand to find. It is a dense, rather salty combination of roasted root vegetables (mostly carrot and burdock) preserved in miso, that looks a bit like coffee grounds, but dissolves in a minute or so in hot liquids. A little goes a long way. It is a very nutritious and mild form of miso, and gives a rich, roasted, authentically gravy-ish taste to vegan food.

------------------------

This gravy was a big success at our Thanksgiving this year, and even went over well with the turkey eaters. The barley, tekka and parsley help with digestion of the heavier holiday protein and fat load.

Serves: 7-10

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Vegan Southern Biscuits and Gravy

Ingredients:

1 package prepared, frozen soy sausage crumbles or patties (I use Morningstar Farms)

Up to 1/4 cup flour (preferably white but whole wheat works too)

Up to 4 cups plain soy milk (full fat or low fat works best but non fat may be used)

packaged biscuit mix (check label for milk ing. - use 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and

water to make biscuits)

lots of pepper (and I mean LOTS)

lots of salt or salt seasoning (I use Lawry's or Johnny's seasoning salt)

1/2 medium onion, finely chopped

Up to 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

Prepare biscuits according to package directions - preheat oven to bake biscuits but let dough sit, covered (on counter or in refridgerator) while you prepare the gravy. Remember the secret to great biscuits is to use COLD margarine or shortening and to not overmix.

Turn stove on to medium high, and preheat a drizzle of vegetable oil in the pan. When pan is hot, add chopped onions and saute until almost cooked. Add frozen sausage crumbles and continue to saute until cooked. Set aside cooked onion/sausage mixture in a bowl.

In the same pan, reduce heat to medium, and prepare a roux by mixing about 2-3 tablespoons flour with enough vegetable oil to make a heavy paste (about 1-2 tablespoons of oil). Add oil and/or flour to get the correct consistency. Stir and cook the roux for a couple of minutes over the medium heat, then slowly add about a cup of soymilk to the mixture, stirring continuously. You must stir continously to avoid lumps.

Contiune to simmer the gravy over medium heat and add more soy milk as needed (this may require several cups of milk). If you accidentally add too much milk, just add a bit more flour (not more than a teaspoon at a time). Also, the longer you cook the gravy, the more it will reduce and thicken.

As the gravy is simmering and reducing, put the biscuits in the oven and bake according to package instructions.

Add the onion/sausage mixture to the gravy and continue to stir and simmer until the biscuits are done. Add salt and pepper to taste - you will probably find that you'll use more salt and pepper than you expected.

Halve the warm biscuits and pour gravy mixture over them and serve. Yum!

Serves: 3-4

Preparation time: 45 minutes

Baked Yam and Squash

Ingredients:

one yam, cubed

1/2 butternut squash, cubed

one granny smith apple, cubed

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup brown sugar (more or less, to taste)

dash of cinnamon, optional

Directions:

put all of the cubes in a 2-quart baking dish (I used a round Pyrex). Add all of the water and about 1/2 of the brown sugar. Pop into a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, until all cubes are soft. Check a couple of times to make sure all the water hasn't gone-- oh, yeah, cover the dish with a lid or foil. Add the rest of the sugar and whatever cinnamon you think appropriate (I wouldn't add *too* much), when you remove it from the oven.

Amy's Favorite Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

4 meduim sized yams

2 Tbsp. of unsalted margarine

2-3 large vidalia sweet Onions

6 Tbsp. of light brown sugar

1 tsp. of ground cinnamon

2 Tbsp. of maple syrup

fresh ground pepper

Directions:

Cook yams in oven for about 1 hour at 400 degrees. Make sure they are soft to the touch when done. In a saute pan (non-stick), combine the margarine and onions (slice, then chopped). Let onions soften. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon into the saute pan. Let it carmelize the onions.

When potatoes are done, peel off the skins (make sure you get them all) and put into a large serving bowl. Mush them up a little, add a little bit of your favorite margarine. Then take the onion mixture, drain, and pour them on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with a little more brown sugar, add fresh ground pepper, and you'll keep asking for more! Enjoy

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 20mins.-1 hr.

Colorful Corn Salad

Ingredients:

6 ears of corn

1 can of black beans

two roasted red peppers

Directions:

Cook lightly 6 ears of corn (I put mine in-husk in the microwave for 4 minutes, 2 at a time). Slice the corn off the cob and put it in a bowl. Add 1 can of black beans, rinsed (the medium-size can -- is that 10oz? I forget). Chop two roasted red peppers (I roasted my own under the broiler, but jarred or canned is probably fine too, just rinse them) in pieces about the same size as a kernel of corn and add that to the bowl.

Dressing: Ingredients:

1/2 cup orange juice

1 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh, crushed)

1/2 tsp. cumin powder

2 T. white vinegar.

(Next time I'll add the juice of one lemon, too. Didn't have one last night.)

Directions:

Mix well and toss with the salad. Let sit at room temperature for an hour to combine flavors.

you mean I won?

I really won?!

I've never won anything before

I'd like to thank my daddy for always being there

and my son, for being so cute

and......

*giggle*

Nikki - who thinks Fraggle should post more anywho

, EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:

> you beat me to it!

In a message dated 11/24/03 4:32:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, nikkimack writes:

Nikki - who thinks Fraggle should post more anywho