Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, dave4sale writes:

Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical

study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way

enhances your immune system?

umm

actually yes...

there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits of fasting..

john hopkins, cornell and the like..

but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the research hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to do the research...

fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with chronic weight problems...

a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans eat tooo freakin much anywways

hahaha

there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague fashion* that use fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al..

on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues, diabetes er other medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in the world...

sorry to be so blunt but WHY in the world would you want to fast?

there is no " healthy " way to deprive your body of nutrients. You

need protein and carbs every day to function properly, and even a

small amount of fat to absorb vitamins. No it won't kill you and

probably won't make you sick, but you will probably feel lousy all

day.

what will it accomplish? Will your fasting inspire meat-eaters not

to kill another turkey? Will it solve world hunger? Will it bring

back all of the native americans who were slaughtered and driven from

their homes?

the whole idea of opposing gourging and other " sins of the flesh " is

a bunch of fundamentalist crap. hedonism is another matter, if you

went and killed a turkey then I'll agree that is morally

reprehensible. but enjoy life. don't feel guilty about feeling good.

I say just eat a vegan meal and be thankful you have the compassion

not to kill a bird and that you have food at all. If you feel

guilty, then go donate your time to something useful;see about

working at a homeless shelter or something. Because, unless you're

gandhi fasting won't affect anything other than your empty stomach.

Maybe this is just me, but I've never gained any enlightenment on an

empty stomach, hell, then all you can think about is food.

-- In , lv2breathe@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 11/12/03 10:15:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,

> writes:

>

> > That's right! I said FASTING.

> > I will be fasting this ThanXgiving again - this has been a

tradition

> > since 1998.

> > I hope some list members will be joining me on this day of

torture,

> > death, greed, selfishness and debauchery by doing the same.

> >

>

Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical

study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way

enhances your immune system?

I have heard this spiel my whole life. My dad does liquid fasts

sometimes, to cleanse the body of toxins, he says. My view is that if

he wouldn't drink beer and eat meat all of the time his body wouldn't

need so much " cleansing " . fasting just seems to be something health

food magizines, self help books and new age types like to tell people

to do. But are the results anything other than a placeebo effect?

or perhaps the fact that on a low protein diet (even a relatively

brief period of time) one will become easily persuaded. sure, when

your body is deprived of protein, everything you are told starts to

make sense to you, so of course it may seem as though you are

thinking more clearly. But try taking on test when you haven't eaten

in a few days and see how well you do. now, maybe if you are

overweight it is necessary to reduce your caloric intake, but most

sane nutritionists will advise that weight loss should be a very

gradual process.

, EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:

> fasting is a way to cleanse the body

> fasting is a way for some people to clear their minds as well...

>

> fasting can reinvigorate many folks, make them feel healthier, etc

Hi Dave

Most doctors and nutritionists reckon you should lose only 1 to 2 lb per week when dieting. I know that if you diet too madly and lose weight too quickly you not only lose water and fat, but muscle and bone as well.

Jo

-

dave

Monday, November 24, 2003 9:24 PM

Re: Why fast?

Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way enhances your immune system? I have heard this spiel my whole life. My dad does liquid fasts sometimes, to cleanse the body of toxins, he says. My view is that if he wouldn't drink beer and eat meat all of the time his body wouldn't need so much "cleansing". fasting just seems to be something health food magizines, self help books and new age types like to tell people to do. But are the results anything other than a placeebo effect? or perhaps the fact that on a low protein diet (even a relatively brief period of time) one will become easily persuaded. sure, when your body is deprived of protein, everything you are told starts to make sense to you, so of course it may seem as though you are thinking more clearly. But try taking on test when you haven't eaten in a few days and see how well you do. now, maybe if you are overweight it is necessary to reduce your caloric intake, but most sane nutritionists will advise that weight loss should be a very gradual process. , EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:> fasting is a way to cleanse the body> fasting is a way for some people to clear their minds as well...> > fasting can reinvigorate many folks, make them feel healthier, etc

To send an email to -

hi all,

loosing more than 2 lbs or so a week is a bad idea, that is right, because what happens when a person goes on a drastic diet/fasts is that the body switches into famine mode, and becomes more efficient at extracting calories from the little food you are eating.......and it stays in famine mode.......this is why when people go on drastic diets they put loads of weight on afterwards, because they have spoiled their metabolism........

catherine

>"Heartwork"

> >

>Re: Re: Why fast? >Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:42:36 -0000 > >Hi Dave > >Most doctors and nutritionists reckon you should lose only 1 to 2 lb per week when dieting. I know that if you diet too madly and lose weight too quickly you not only lose water and fat, but muscle and bone as well. > >Jo > - > dave > > Monday, November 24, 2003 9:24 PM > Re: Why fast? > > > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way > enhances your immune system? > > I have heard this spiel my whole life. My dad does liquid fasts > sometimes, to cleanse the body of toxins, he says. My view is that if > he wouldn't drink beer and eat meat all of the time his body wouldn't > need so much "cleansing". fasting just seems to be something health > food magizines, self help books and new age types like to tell people > to do. But are the results anything other than a placeebo effect? > or perhaps the fact that on a low protein diet (even a relatively > brief period of time) one will become easily persuaded. sure, when > your body is deprived of protein, everything you are told starts to > make sense to you, so of course it may seem as though you are > thinking more clearly. But try taking on test when you haven't eaten > in a few days and see how well you do. now, maybe if you are > overweight it is necessary to reduce your caloric intake, but most > sane nutritionists will advise that weight loss should be a very > gradual process. > > , EBbrewpunx@c... wrote: > > fasting is a way to cleanse the body > > fasting is a way for some people to clear their minds as well... > > > > fasting can reinvigorate many folks, make them feel healthier, etc > > >

i bet the alertness people aledge they feel during and after fasting is the body switching to alert mode to ensure it hunts for food...............

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Re: Why fast? >Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:11:19 EST > >In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, >dave4sale writes: > > > > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical > > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way > > enhances your immune system? >umm >actually yes... >there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits of >fasting.. >john hopkins, cornell and the like.. >but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the research >hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to do the >research... >fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some >folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with chronic weight problems... >a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans eat tooo >freakin much anywways >hahaha >there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague fashion* that use >fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al.. > >on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues, diabetes er other >medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in the world... Start downloading music from 62p per track with the MSN Music Club.

I understand why no one is in a hurry to shell out grants for

research on fasting, but I am guessing the results of these few

studies are so because ordinarily the subjects are consuming coffee,

alcohol , meat , dairy products, so naturally fasting would lower

their blood pressure. I still think this whole thing

about " detoxing " is a myth. If you eat a healthy meal it is much

better than not eating at all. even for an overweight person.

, EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:

> In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,

> dave4sale writes:

> >

> > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical

> > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some

way

> > enhances your immune system?

> umm

> actually yes...

> there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits

of

> fasting..

> john hopkins, cornell and the like..

> but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the

research

> hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to

do the

> research...

> fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some

> folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with

chronic weight problems...

> a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans

eat tooo

> freakin much anywways

> hahaha

> there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague

fashion* that use

> fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al..

>

> on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues,

diabetes er other

> medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in

the world...

I have heard that some people fast for quite a long time, and some for just a day or two. I've never paid much attention because I find it hard to fast for more than 12 hours (overnight :-) )

I would imagine it wouldn't be good for an overweight person to fast because apparently fasting can cause the body to up its output of cholesterol and fat into the bloodstream - which I presume could be a little dangerous if you have circulation/heart problems.

Jo

-

dave

Tuesday, November 25, 2003 4:29 PM

Re: Why fast?

I understand why no one is in a hurry to shell out grants for research on fasting, but I am guessing the results of these few studies are so because ordinarily the subjects are consuming coffee, alcohol , meat , dairy products, so naturally fasting would lower their blood pressure. I still think this whole thing about "detoxing" is a myth. If you eat a healthy meal it is much better than not eating at all. even for an overweight person. , EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:> In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, > dave4sale writes: > > > > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical > > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way > > enhances your immune system?> umm> actually yes...> there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits of > fasting..> john hopkins, cornell and the like..> but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the research > hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to do the > research...> fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some > folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with chronic weight problems...> a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans eat tooo > freakin much anywways> hahaha> there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague fashion* that use > fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al..> > on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues, diabetes er other > medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in the world...

To send an email to -

fasting can also be a way of protest, and then for others to remember what others have done for them. Foe me the main interest is related to that and to spiritual reasons.

Catherine Harris [cait2]25 November 2003 12:34 Subject: Re: Re: Why fast?

i bet the alertness people aledge they feel during and after fasting is the body switching to alert mode to ensure it hunts for food...............

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Re: Why fast? >Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:11:19 EST > >In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, >dave4sale writes: > > > > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical > > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way > > enhances your immune system? >umm >actually yes... >there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits of >fasting.. >john hopkins, cornell and the like.. >but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the research >hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to do the >research... >fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some >folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with chronic weight problems... >a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans eat tooo >freakin much anywways >hahaha >there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague fashion* that use >fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al.. > >on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues, diabetes er other >medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in the world...

Start downloading music from 62p per track with the MSN Music Club. To send an email to -

sounds like you're making assumptions of the research without actually having read it, and that you're just never going to believe any research anyway, you seem dead set against the whole idea.

dave [dave4sale]25 November 2003 16:29 Subject: Re: Why fast?I understand why no one is in a hurry to shell out grants for research on fasting, but I am guessing the results of these few studies are so because ordinarily the subjects are consuming coffee, alcohol , meat , dairy products, so naturally fasting would lower their blood pressure. I still think this whole thing about "detoxing" is a myth. If you eat a healthy meal it is much better than not eating at all. even for an overweight person. , EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:> In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, > dave4sale writes: > > > > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical > > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way > > enhances your immune system?> umm> actually yes...> there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits of > fasting..> john hopkins, cornell and the like..> but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the research > hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to do the > research...> fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some > folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with chronic weight problems...> a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans eat tooo > freakin much anywways> hahaha> there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague fashion* that use > fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al..> > on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues, diabetes er other > medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in the world...To send an email to -

i cant fast by only having liquids as i am diabetic...............but sometimes have seriuos session of dark green vegetable soup................

at the risk of providing too much info, it cleans everyone out who has had it..............

catherine

>"Lee Delaney"

> >

>RE: Re: Why fast? >Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:54:11 -0000 > >fasting can also be a way of protest, and then for others to remember what >others have done for them. Foe me the main interest is related to that and >to spiritual reasons. > > Catherine Harris [cait2] > 25 November 2003 12:34 > > Re: Re: Why fast? > > > i bet the alertness people aledge they feel during and after fasting is >the body switching to alert mode to ensure it hunts for food............... > > catherine > > > > >EBbrewpunx > > > > > >Re: Re: Why fast? > >Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:11:19 EST > > > >In a message dated 11/24/03 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, > >dave4sale writes: > > > > > > Is any of this based on academic research? i mean has a clinical > > > study ever found that deprived your body of food actually in some way > > > enhances your immune system? > >umm > >actually yes... > >there have a been a number of studies that have shown the benefits of > >fasting.. > >john hopkins, cornell and the like.. > >but...no major corporation makes $$ of a fastin diet..soo..the research > >hasn't been touted nor have many people been knocking down doors to do >the > >research... > >fasting has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in some > >folks..increases energy level in others, and can help those with chronic >weight problems... > >a short detox/fasting diet isn't going to ruin yer body...Americans eat >tooo > >freakin much anywways > >hahaha > >there are many cultures out there *waves arms in some vague fashion* that >use > >fasts for a variety of purposes..religious et al.. > > > >on the other hand, if yer horribly thin, have heart issues, diabetes er >other > >medical conditions, fasting probably isn't the smartest thing in the >world... > > >---------- >-- > Start downloading music from 62p per track with the MSN Music Club. >