Sugar woes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 1/25/04 4:06:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, DougDuea1 writes:

Well, 1000 degrees or not, I don't want to eat something that has

been filtered through bones. So, now that my illusions are

shattered, I'll sweeten with what I should have all along: maple

syrup.

you can also use beet sugar(since only sugar cane is filtered with bone), stevia, etc...

Well, I became vegan and continued to eat processed sugar. You know

you always heard about animal bones being used in " some " sugars. I

finally e-mailed C & H and here's the answer I got:

" The natural charcoal we use is made exclusively from the bones of

non-European cattle and is not a by-product of the meat packing

industry. These healthy bones are incinerated for 12 hours at

temperatures reaching 1000 degrees centigrade. This burning process

destroys all organic matter (including viruses, bacteria and

proteins), leaving only an inert granular substance called natural

charcoal that is about 10% elemental carbon and about 90% calcium

hydroxyapatite. "

Well, 1000 degrees or not, I don't want to eat something that has

been filtered through bones. So, now that my illusions are

shattered, I'll sweeten with what I should have all along: maple

syrup.

In a message dated 1/25/04 5:09:29 PM Pacific Standard Time, phytoscarfingsimianpod writes:

There is no way to tell the difference between cane and beet sugar in packaged foods like baking chocolate chips, potato chips, lollipops, ANYTHING,

i was speakin of beet sugar in general, not in packaged foods

lotsa good info there tho....

There is no way to tell the difference between cane and beet sugar in packaged foods like baking chocolate chips, potato chips, lollipops, ANYTHING, etc. because companies like Townhouse, Lays, etc. buy their sugar from several different refineries, some of which may use bone char filters for cane sugar, some of which don't, some of which use beet sugar--it's a toss up. They don't even have to label the difference on the bag of sugar itself. Powdered sugar and "raw" sugar also have had to undergo the same processes by law as regular table sugar. And brown sugar/confectioner's sugar made by companies using bone char also are filtered through it. Sweeteners such as Sucanat and Turbinado are never filtered with bone char. And beet sugar IS ALWAYS safe, it's just nearly impossible to isolate. The following are brands which do not use bone char:

Florida Crystals Refinery

P.O. Box 86

South Bay, FL 33493

407-996-9072

Labels: Florida Crystals

Refined Sugars Incorporated

One Federal St.

Yonkers, NY 10702

914-963-2400

Labels: Jack Frost, Country Cane, 4# Flow-Sweet

Pillsbury

Makes powdered brown sugar

Supreme Sugar Company (subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland)

P.O. Box 56009

New Orleans, LA 70156

504-831-0901

Labels: Supreme, Southern Bell, Rouse's Markets

Brands which DO use bone char:

Domino

1114 Ave. of the Americas

25th Fl.

New York, NY 10036

212-789-9700

Savannah Foods

P.O. Box 335

Savannah, GA 31402

912-234-1261

California & Hawaiian Sugar Company (with the exception of its Washed Raw Sugar)

830 Loring Ave.

Crockett, CA 94525-1104

510-787-2121

There's also no guarantee that the maple syrup would be vegan:

"The process of making maple syrup requires an agent to reduce the foam on the syrup by adding a small amount of fat to the liquid.

The traditional process of reducing the foam in maple syrup has included the use of lard. Previously, local producers would hang pork fat over a tub of maple syrup and let drops of fat drip into the syrup. Others used milk, cream or butter. If animal products are used in the form of lard or milk, the amount is minute. For example, eight to ten gallons of syrup will involve a quarter of a teaspoon of cream or a pea-sized drop of butter.

Vegetable oil is a common defoaming agent. It can be applied to the end of a wooden stick and dipped into the foaming part of the maple syrup. Most manufacturers of maple syrup now use vegetable oil or synthetic defoamers instead of lard.

One commercial defoamer (called Atmos300K) is composed of monoglycerides and diglycerides. According to WITCO, the producer of this defoamer, these glycerides are derived from "edible meat and/or vegetable sources." Another leading brand of defoamer, Reynolds Magic Syrup Defoamer, also contains acetylated monoglycerides as an ingredient (7).

Well known brands of pancake maple syrups, such as Mrs. Butterworths or Log Cabin, usually contain only 2-5% maple syrup. Corn syrup is the main ingredient of most pancake syrups. Pure maple syrup will have a grade label and state "100% Pure Maple Syrup." (8)

It may be difficult to determine whether a particular brand of syrup has an animal or vegetable based defoamer. Most syrups do not use lard, with the exception of certain small-scale products. Brands which are kosher certified, such as Spring Tree or Maple Groves, are unlikely to contain animal products in their defoamers. Holsum Foods, which produces pancake syrup, also uses vegetable oil as a defoaming agent, and their product is labeled by food chains such as Dominick's, Supervalue and Superfine."

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Sugar woes >Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:10:36 EST > >In a message dated 1/25/04 4:06:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, >DougDuea1 writes: > > > > Well, 1000 degrees or not, I don't want to eat something that has > > been filtered through bones. So, now that my illusions are > > shattered, I'll sweeten with what I should have all along: maple > > syrup. > > > >you can also use beet sugar(since only sugar cane is filtered with bone), >stevia, etc... Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN.

What about Splenda? What's the prognosis on it?

fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! <phytoscarfingsimianpod wrote:

There is no way to tell the difference between cane and beet sugar in packaged foods like baking chocolate chips, potato chips, lollipops, ANYTHING, etc. because companies like Townhouse, Lays, etc. buy their sugar from several different refineries, some of which may use bone char filters for cane sugar, some of which don't, some of which use beet sugar--it's a toss up. They don't even have to label the difference on the bag of sugar itself. Powdered sugar and "raw" sugar also have had to undergo the same processes by law as regular table sugar. And brown sugar/confectioner's sugar made by companies using bone char also are filtered through it. Sweeteners such as Sucanat and Turbinado are never filtered with bone char. And beet sugar IS ALWAYS safe, it's just nearly impossible to isolate. The following are brands which do not use bone char:

P.O. Box 86

South Bay, FL 33493

407-996-9072

One Federal St.

Yonkers, NY 10702

914-963-2400

Pillsbury

P.O. Box 56009

New Orleans, LA 70156

504-831-0901

Domino

25th Fl.

New York, NY 10036

212-789-9700

Savannah Foods

P.O. Box 335

Savannah, GA 31402

912-234-1261

California & Hawaiian Sugar Company (with the exception of its Washed Raw Sugar)

830 Loring Ave.

Crockett, CA 94525-1104

510-787-2121

"The process of making maple syrup requires an agent to reduce the foam on the syrup by adding a small amount of fat to the liquid.

The traditional process of reducing the foam in maple syrup has included the use of lard. Previously, local producers would hang pork fat over a tub of maple syrup and let drops of fat drip into the syrup. Others used milk, cream or butter. If animal products are used in the form of lard or milk, the amount is minute. For example, eight to ten gallons of syrup will involve a quarter of a teaspoon of cream or a pea-sized drop of butter.

Vegetable oil is a common defoaming agent. It can be applied to the end of a wooden stick and dipped into the foaming part of the maple syrup. Most manufacturers of maple syrup now use vegetable oil or synthetic defoamers instead of lard.

One commercial defoamer (called Atmos300K) is composed of monoglycerides and diglycerides. According to WITCO, the producer of this defoamer, these glycerides are derived from "edible meat and/or vegetable sources." Another leading brand of defoamer, Reynolds Magic Syrup Defoamer, also contains acetylated monoglycerides as an ingredient (7).

Well known brands of pancake maple syrups, such as Mrs. Butterworths or Log Cabin, usually contain only 2-5% maple syrup. Corn syrup is the main ingredient of most pancake syrups. Pure maple syrup will have a grade label and state "100% Pure Maple Syrup." (8)

It may be difficult to determine whether a particular brand of syrup has an animal or vegetable based defoamer. Most syrups do not use lard, with the exception of certain small-scale products. Brands which are kosher certified, such as Spring Tree or Maple Groves, are unlikely to contain animal products in their defoamers. Holsum Foods, which produces pancake syrup, also uses vegetable oil as a defoaming agent, and their product is labeled by food chains such as Dominick's, Supervalue and Superfine."

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Sugar woes >Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:10:36 EST > >In a message dated 1/25/04 4:06:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, >DougDuea1 writes: > > > > Well, 1000 degrees or not, I don't want to eat something that has > > been filtered through bones. So, now that my illusions are > > shattered, I'll sweeten with what I should have all along: maple > > syrup. > > > >you can also use beet sugar(since only sugar cane is filtered with bone), >stevia, etc...

Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN. To send an email to -

Wait...what's the difference between raw sugar and turbinado sugar? I've

got a bag of Sugar in the Raw that says turbinado sugar on the bottom. I'm

confused! :)

Love,

Anna

> " fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! "

><phytoscarfingsimianpod

>

>

>Re: Sugar woes

>Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:01:22 -0500

>

High-speed users—be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet

Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=byoa/prem & ST=1

P.O. Box 86

South Bay, FL 33493

407-996-9072

One Federal St.

Yonkers, NY 10702

914-963-2400

Pillsbury

P.O. Box 56009

New Orleans, LA 70156

504-831-0901

Domino

25th Fl.

New York, NY 10036

212-789-9700

Savannah Foods

P.O. Box 335

Savannah, GA 31402

912-234-1261

830 Loring Ave.

Crockett, CA 94525-1104

510-787-2121

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Sugar woes >Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:10:36 EST > >In a message dated 1/25/04 4:06:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, >DougDuea1 writes: > > > > Well, 1000 degrees or not, I don't want to eat something that has > > been filtered through bones. So, now that my illusions are > > shattered, I'll sweeten with what I should have all along: maple > > syrup. > > > >you can also use beet sugar(since only sugar cane is filtered with bone), >stevia, etc... Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN.

To send an email to -

In a message dated 1/26/04 9:58:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, annacblaine writes:

Wait...what's the difference between raw sugar and turbinado sugar?

turbinado sugar has been partially processed to remove a portion of the molasses...

raw sugar has only been crushed and boiled...without the rest of the filtering/purifying processes...