IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Toothpaste

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is it ok to recommend a company who does cheap toothpaste? I know most people here would already buy it from a cool vegan store but there's a place I'd like to recommend as they don't seem to make any money on the vegan toothpaste they sell and I think it's really good (they probably lose money actually). Basically it's a company in the UK whose website is www.maximmarketing.co.uk - I found them last year, named in the Vegan Shopper, so I ordered a bunch from them. Today I got a new order as I'd just ran out of the ones I bought last time. Anyway, they only charge £1 for each tube and that includes postage and packing in the UK. I bought 12 and I noticed that the postage on the packaging came to £6 - so they only get about 50p for each one! I feel sorry for them only getting that much - so I think it would be cool if they had more customers.

They also do vegan soap. Everyone should check them out. If you do order tell them Shari Black Velvet recommended them.

<3

Shari Black Velvet

Hi all,

First I was happy to see the recommended website, then very disappointed.

Why?

I am not sure if this company is selling just vegan products! The big question is: They sell vegan products. And they sell "halal" products and other products as well.

What is halal?

Halal is a method to slaughter animals by torturing them. Many people think it is a religious law of the Moslems. Myself I think it is a bad cultural habit.

In the website of this company is written:

Halal is an Arabic word meaning lawful or permitted. The opposite of Halal is haram, which means unlawful or prohibited.

What about meat? Every Moslem saying "halal" usually how an animal is slaughtered.

And this company is selling even "other products"

Is this a company selling everything of money? (The business strategy here is the "sell cheap now to sell expensive later"-strategy).

There are companies founded by shameless people, for vegan products, while the same shameless people found meat, or even weapons selling companies to sell meat products or weapons.

If I read in the website of this company:

All foods are considered Halal except the following, which are haram:

Swine/pork and its by-products. Animals improperly slaughtered or dead before slaughtering.

Then I would not buy their products, because of ethical reasons. Myself I use vegan products. In halal is blood included.

Animals killed in the name of anyone other than ALLAH (God).

Additionaly as a person who is not a Moslem, I would not support a moslemic society with my money. I am a Christian and this company maximmarketing is using arabic words and showing in this kind that it is a moslemic religious company using even the word Allah instead the English God.

How I thing about God, every one can look into my non-commercial website: www.geocities.com/itsoucas. About God I only accept evidences only. The question about God is a question of head an heart. Not heart only.

It seems to be this company www.maximmarketing.co.uk is selling just everything for money via the same website HIDING THE OWN BACKGROUND. As the name of the website is: maximmarketing is the strategy.

It is better to boycott this company for ethical reasons.

Yannis"Shari" <shari wrote:

Is it ok to recommend a company who does cheap toothpaste? I know most people here would already buy it from a cool vegan store but there's a place I'd like to recommend as they don't seem to make any money on the vegan toothpaste they sell and I think it's really good (they probably lose money actually). Basically it's a company in the UK whose website is www.maximmarketing.co.uk - I found them last year, named in the Vegan Shopper, so I ordered a bunch from them. Today I got a new order as I'd just ran out of the ones I bought last time. Anyway, they only charge £1 for each tube and that includes postage and packing in the UK. I bought 12 and I noticed that the postage on the packaging came to £6 - so they only get about 50p for each one! I feel sorry for them only getting that much - so I think it would be cool if they had more customers.

They also do vegan soap. Everyone should check them out. If you do order tell them Shari Black Velvet recommended them.

<3

Shari Black VelvetTo send an email to -

Shari,

Thanks for sharing the info on maxim, the site doesnt give a list of

ingredients, can you advise? Seems unbelievably cheap to me!

The Valley Vegan....

> Is it ok to recommend a company who does cheap toothpaste? I know most people

here would already buy it from a cool vegan store but there's a place I'd like

to recommend as they don't seem to make any money on the vegan toothpaste they

sell and I think it's really good (they probably lose money actually). Basically

it's a company in the UK whose website is www.maximmarketing.co.uk - I found

them last year, named in the Vegan Shopper, so I ordered a bunch from them.

Today I got a new order as I'd just ran out of the ones I bought last time.

Anyway, they only charge £1 for each tube and that includes postage and packing

in the UK. I bought 12 and I noticed that the postage on the packaging came to

£6 - so they only get about 50p for each one! I feel sorry for them only getting

that much - so I think it would be cool if they had more customers.

>

>They also do vegan soap. Everyone should check them out. If you do order tell

them Shari Black Velvet recommended them.

>

<3

>Shari Black Velvet

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

ioannis Tsoucas <itsoucas wrote

>First I was happy to see the recommended website, then very disappointed.

>Why?

>I am not sure if this company is selling just vegan products! The big

question is: They sell vegan products. And they sell " halal " products and

other >products as well.

>What is halal?

>Halal is a method to slaughter animals by torturing them. Many people think

it is a religious law of the Moslems. Myself I think it is a bad cultural

habit.

Yikes. I didn't know that. That sucks. Damn. Well I guess I won't be buying

from them again. I figured halal was something to do with a different

culture but thought it would be at least related to vegan/vegetarian since

they were selling the vegan stuff. :-( Well thank you for pointing this out.

<3

Shari Black Velvet

Dear Shari and all the others in our vegan chat group,

1) in my reply about what is halal I have made some typing mistakes. I don't repet my letter again, cause every one can recognise the mistakes and understand the sense (I hope and I do apologise for that). In one difficult case only: I have written "of", but I had to write "for".

2) More exactly about what is halal and what Moslems understand under the word halal:

Halal is a method to slaughter the animals effectively slowly. As some one told me: The make a hole in the neck of the animal, they hang it and the leave it bleeding (TORTURE!!!). Maybe the original sense of the word halal is "permitted" as in the website of the maximmarketing company is written. Myself I cannot say anything about, because I don't speak arabic. But the daily facts have changed the sense of this word. It is enough to walk around London, where I live and see the advertising of groceries and kebab (gyros) shops belonging to Moslems: Halal meat. I go to shops independent if they belong to Moslems or to others. But if I see this advert, I go to the next one.

Yannis"Shari" <shari wrote:

ioannis Tsoucas wrote>First I was happy to see the recommended website, then very disappointed.>Why?>I am not sure if this company is selling just vegan products! The bigquestion is: They sell vegan products. And they sell "halal" products andother >products as well.>What is halal?>Halal is a method to slaughter animals by torturing them. Many people thinkit is a religious law of the Moslems. Myself I think it is a bad culturalhabit.Yikes. I didn't know that. That sucks. Damn. Well I guess I won't be buyingfrom them again. I figured halal was something to do with a differentculture but thought it would be at least related to vegan/vegetarian sincethey were selling the vegan stuff. :-( Well thank you for pointing this out.<3Shari Black VelvetTo

send an email to -

The web site http://www.maximmarketing.co.uk/ sells products which are

both vegetarian, vegan and halal.

Anything vegan is vegetarian.

Anything vegetarian is halal.

Just because something is vegetarian does not necessarily mean it it

not vegan.

Just because something is halal does not necessarily mean it is not

vegan.

I really don't see the issue.

" Halal " is commonly used with regard to meat because while you can

check the ingredients of other products to see their suitability you

cannot with meat. Other products are labelled as halal where

appropriate though, such as in this case.

I also find the following statement worrying:

> Maybe the original sense of the word halal is " permitted " as in the

> website of the maximmarketing company is written. Myself I cannot say

> anything about, because I don't speak arabic.

Yet you did. The facts have not changed as you claim but you are

seeing the word used in the one and only context where it would make

sense, on grocers, butchers and food stores. If you were to discover

an Islamic chemist then you would also see it used here, the lack of

them does not mean the sense of the word has changed. The sense of the

word that you understand is based on your admittedly very limited

exposure.

I do not support Halal practices with regards to meat production,

neither do I support Kosher practices or non-denominational western

practices. To condemn one company for using a word correctly in a

context that is new to you because it belongs to a different culture

does not justify condemnation of them. That is ignorance.

Michael

Sorry, Michael, but you are not right and you have cut off something I wrote and so you have not taken the sense:

You mention what I have written:

Maybe the original sense of the word halal is "permitted" as in the website of the maximmarketing company is written. Myself I cannot say anything about, because I don't speak arabic.

And you have cut off, what I have written as well:

But the daily facts have changed the sense of this word. It is enough to walk around London, where I live and see the advertising of groceries and kebab (gyros) shops belonging to Moslems: Halal meat.

And, dear Michael, you are not write, because if you look to the website of the maximmarketing company, you will see: What is important for this company is halal and their religion, but not vegan. Only because some products are vegan as well, whatabout I am not sure, as I could not find a list of the ingredients, they have put them under the word vegan. (Old catch customers method). Because of their religion they use arabic words.

As I have written I don't care about if shops belong to Moslems or to some one else, when I go shopping. But I don't go to shops, selling halal meat as this word halal is used mostly for meat products today.

Yannis

mavreela <ndisc wrote:

The web site http://www.maximmarketing.co.uk/ sells products which are both vegetarian, vegan and halal.Anything vegan is vegetarian.Anything vegetarian is halal.Just because something is vegetarian does not necessarily mean it it not vegan.Just because something is halal does not necessarily mean it is not vegan.I really don't see the issue."Halal" is commonly used with regard to meat because while you can check the ingredients of other products to see their suitability you cannot with meat. Other products are labelled as halal where appropriate though, such as in this case.I also find the following statement worrying:> Maybe the original sense of the word halal is "permitted" as in the > website of the maximmarketing company is written. Myself I cannot say > anything about, because

I don't speak arabic.Yet you did. The facts have not changed as you claim but you are seeing the word used in the one and only context where it would make sense, on grocers, butchers and food stores. If you were to discover an Islamic chemist then you would also see it used here, the lack of them does not mean the sense of the word has changed. The sense of the word that you understand is based on your admittedly very limited exposure.I do not support Halal practices with regards to meat production, neither do I support Kosher practices or non-denominational western practices. To condemn one company for using a word correctly in a context that is new to you because it belongs to a different culture does not justify condemnation of them. That is ignorance.Michael

while you were unduly harsh in your correction, i admit that i, too, was fretting at the lack of cultural understanding here (there're vegan muslims who don't support the meat industry --no matter what the process involved-- just as there are vegan christians who wouldn't taste the bread if it contained lactylate!).

as i find it nearly impossible to boycott every company which sells ANYthing that isn't vegan, i don't see why not to buy the toothpaste (its ingredients are vegan, no?) any more than reason not to buy Planter's plain salted nuts (because the dry-roasted kind from the same company contains gelatin). if we ceased to make any purchases from companies not entirely vegan, VERY few would remain to choose from.

i never buy from animal-testers, but, like most others, i don't have the money to exclusively purchase pangea everything. this "halal" business really isn't a religious or vegan issue at all; while the criteria for halal meat is gruesome, like mavreela said: vegan stuff is halal, too. it's a word for muslims to use in their food selection, independent of non-muslim purchases.

lastly, like an ignorant child, i think it's important to "teach" companies by rewarding them for advances made. they create a line of vegan products, we buy it, giving them positive feedback to reinforce their keeping it (while letting them know we don't buy their other products). if vegans ignore that advancement, they drop their new vegan-friendly items and revert back to other, more sinister product lines. i think many of us have lost sight of "Bessie" and "Hennie Penny" in the torture chambers. we want to help them. THEY are who we care about, right? (i know this has evolved to something grossly off-topic, but..) i kind of think it's important TO buy from the other, bigger companies (provided they don't partake in testing) because they're the ones in power. and to convert them (or at least broaden their array to healthier things) is a very important step in helping to end suffering because it'll bring the alternatives out into popular culture, for everyone to switch over to. hence, fewer deaths being demanded by the consumer. ( it may be fantastical and idealistic, but i want to help save whomever i can)

maybe with the offered vegan supplies on maximmarketing, some muslims will cut that meat more and more out of their diet?

------brii-------

>mavreela

> > >Re: Re: Vegan Toothpaste >Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:49:39 +0000 > >The web site http://www.maximmarketing.co.uk/ sells products which are >both vegetarian, vegan and halal. > >Anything vegan is vegetarian. >Anything vegetarian is halal. > >Just because something is vegetarian does not necessarily mean it it >not vegan. >Just because something is halal does not necessarily mean it is not >vegan. > >I really don't see the issue. > >"Halal" is commonly used with regard to meat because while you can >check the ingredients of other products to see their suitability you >cannot with meat. Other products are labelled as halal where >appropriate though, such as in this case. > >I also find the following statement worrying: > > > Maybe the original sense of the word halal is "permitted" as in the > > website of the maximmarketing company is written. Myself I cannot say > > anything about, because I don't speak arabic. > >Yet you did. The facts have not changed as you claim but you are >seeing the word used in the one and only context where it would make >sense, on grocers, butchers and food stores. If you were to discover >an Islamic chemist then you would also see it used here, the lack of >them does not mean the sense of the word has changed. The sense of the >word that you understand is based on your admittedly very limited >exposure. > >I do not support Halal practices with regards to meat production, >neither do I support Kosher practices or non-denominational western >practices. To condemn one company for using a word correctly in a >context that is new to you because it belongs to a different culture >does not justify condemnation of them. That is ignorance. > >Michael Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."

-

fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!

Sunday, February 08, 2004 6:19 AM

Re: Re: Vegan Toothpaste

while you were unduly harsh in your correction, i admit that i, too, was fretting at the lack of cultural understanding here (there're vegan muslims who don't support the meat industry --no matter what the process involved-- just as there are vegan christians who wouldn't taste the bread if it contained lactylate!).>

I went into indian vegetarian take away shop selling curries and burgers etc....assuming the family staff would be at least vegetarian...not so, one did reveal he ate meat now and again, though he did admit that he was ashamed and that he shouldn't eat meat under muslim law.

as i find it nearly impossible to boycott every company which sells ANYthing that isn't vegan, i don't see why not to buy the toothpaste (its ingredients are vegan, no?) any more than reason not to buy Planter's plain salted nuts (because the dry-roasted kind from the same company contains gelatin). if we ceased to make any purchases from companies not entirely vegan, VERY few would remain to choose from.

i never buy from animal-testers, but, like most others, i don't have the money to exclusively purchase pangea everything. this "halal" business really isn't a religious or vegan issue at all; while the criteria for halal meat is gruesome, like mavreela said: vegan stuff is halal, too. it's a word for muslims to use in their food selection, independent of non-muslim purchases.

lastly, like an ignorant child, i think it's important to "teach" companies by rewarding them for advances made. they create a line of vegan products, we buy it, giving them positive feedback to reinforce their keeping it (while letting them know we don't buy their other products). if vegans ignore that advancement, they drop their new vegan-friendly items and revert back to other, more sinister product lines. i think many of us have lost sight of "Bessie" and "Hennie Penny" in the torture chambers. we want to help them. THEY are who we care about, right? (i know this has evolved to something grossly off-topic, but..) i kind of think it's important TO buy from the other, bigger companies (provided they don't partake in testing) because they're the ones in power. and to convert them (or at least broaden their array to healthier things) is a very important step in helping to end suffer! ing because it'll bring the alternatives out into popular culture, for everyone to switch over to. hence, fewer deaths being demanded by the consumer. ( it may be fantastical and idealistic, but i want to help save whomever i can)

maybe with the offered vegan supplies on maximmarketing, some muslims will cut that meat more and more out of their diet?

------brii-------

>mavreela

> > >Re: Re: Vegan Toothpaste >Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:49:39 +0000 > >The web site http://www.maximmarketing.co.uk/ sells products which are >both vegetarian, vegan and halal. > >Anything vegan is vegetarian. >Anything vegetarian is halal. > >Just because something is vegetarian does not necessarily mean it it >not vegan. >Just because something is halal does not necessarily mean it is not >vegan. > >I really don't see the issue. > >"Halal" is commonly used with regard to meat because while you can >check the ingredients of other products to see their suitability you >cannot with meat. Other products are labelled as halal where >appropriate though, such as in this case. > >I also find the following statement worrying: > > > Maybe the original sense of the word halal is "permitted" as in the > > website of the maximmarketing company is written. Myself I cannot say > > anything about, because I don't speak arabic. > >Yet you did. The facts have not changed as you claim but you are >seeing the word used in the one and only context where it would make >sense, on grocers, butchers and food stores. If you were to discover >an Islamic chemist then you would also see it used here, the lack of >them does not mean the sense of the word has changed. The sense of the >word that you understand is based on your admittedly very limited >exposure. > >I do not support Halal practices with regards to meat production, >neither do I support Kosher practices or non-denominational western >practices. To condemn one company for using a word correctly in a >context that is new to you because it belongs to a different culture >does not justify condemnation of them. That is ignorance. > >Michael

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology." To send an email to -

> And you have cut off, what I have written as well:

>> But the daily facts have changed the sense of this word. It is enough

>> to walk around London, where I live and see the advertising of

>> groceries and kebab (gyros) shops belonging to Moslems: Halal meat.

I addressed this point, the sense of the word halal has not changed, it

is only your limited exposure to its use - a word you admit you do not

understand - which gives you this particular sense. Your sense is

wrong.

> And, dear Michael, you are not write, because if you look to the

> website of the maximmarketing company, you will see: What is important

> for this company is halal and their religion, but not vegan.

I do not have any doubt that you are right, the company is primarily

based around selling halal products. That does not preclude them from

also being vegan though. Just like a large number of vegan producers

are primarily interested in allergy free products (specifically in our

interests lactose intolerance) and in the same way just happen to be

vegan.

> Only because some products are vegan as well, whatabout I am not

> sure, as I could not find a list of the ingredients, they have put

> them under the word vegan. (Old catch customers method).

If you do not trust them then that is your prerogative, but that type

of skepticism should apply to any company whether they also claim their

products to be halal or not You have made an issue of their being

halal which makes me think you are singling them out.

And if this is your only ground for doubting the company, and if you

are seriously suggesting that they deliberately market their products

as vegan when they are not with no reason to support this other than

their religion, then to me this view comes across as intolerance and

verges on racism.

I have no desire to get involved in an argument over this though so I

will not comment on it any further. Suffice to say I would rather

people made up their own minds about this company, for all I know they

may actually not be vegan but I would rather someone actually tried to

find out that first rather than jump to conclusions because of their

religion, and so I just wanted to offer a counter argument to the

incorrect assertion that the term " halal " only applies to meat. It

does not.

Michael

Thanks for your info and opinions about maximmarketing.co.uk to those who

posted. One thing I will say in their favour is that I originally heard

about them when I found their name in the Vegan Shopper book. It was

spotting them in there that made me search online to see if I could find

their company. Also, on their order forms it does state clearly that the

Amber toothpaste (and soap) is approved by the BUAV and the NAVS. Also on

the toothpaste tubes it says in big letters that they are Animal Free or

something like that (I'm at work, they're at home!).

<3

Shari Black Velvet

I noticed Maximmarketing in the Vegan Shopper. They have fairly specific

standards, and quite a few of the maximmarketing products are listed.

Jo

> Thanks for your info and opinions about maximmarketing.co.uk to those who

> posted. One thing I will say in their favour is that I originally heard

> about them when I found their name in the Vegan Shopper book. It was

> spotting them in there that made me search online to see if I could find

> their company. Also, on their order forms it does state clearly that the

> Amber toothpaste (and soap) is approved by the BUAV and the NAVS. Also on

> the toothpaste tubes it says in big letters that they are Animal Free or

> something like that (I'm at work, they're at home!).

>

> <3

> Shari Black Velvet

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>