IndiaDivine.org

just remembered something...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was just looking at some bumper stickers online and saw one that

said, " Proud Parent of a Student Who Won't Dissect " .

It made me remember back to seventh grade in my Life Science class.

Around the end of the semester, we had to dissect frogs.

I really didn't want to, and when the time came, I actually started

to cry.

I don't mean my eyes got watery and I sniffled.

It was red eyes, tears pouring, nose running-you get the picture.

My teacher, the compassionate woman that she was(NOT), said that I

didn't have to cut it if I didn't want to-I would just have to remove

certain internal organs she had specified.(there were 2 students to a

frog. one to cut, the other to dissect)

I wouldn't do that either.

She said if I didn't do it, I would get an 'F' on the " assignment " .

I told her that it didn't matter, I couldn't do it.

Everybody in class was looking at me like I was an idiot.

A few laughed.

She told me to go to the bathroom and wash my face.

When I came back, I just sat in my chair and stared at my lap for the

rest of the class.

Everybody else was happily cutting up their frogs.

I just couldn't understand why nobody else cared.

It didn't seem to bother them that they were cutting up an animal.

Now I don't particularly care for frogs, I think they're a little

creepy, and I'll admit, I'm a teeny-tiny bit afraid of them.

Especially the little ones that stick to your windows in the summer.

It's just freaky.

Anyway, I think that particular 'assignment' was worth a major chunk

of the mid-term grade, and I ended up getting a 'D' on my report card.

The teacher even called my mom to tell her what I did - or didn't do,

actually.

My mom told her that I loved animals and that she wasn't suprised at

all that I had refused to dissect one.

She wasn't upset about the grade either, which I thought she would

have been.

I was 11 or 12 years old at the time, and it was pretty embarassing

crying in front of about 30 of my classmates.

They sort of made fun of me for a while.

I'm still not sure if it was because I had cried, or because I

wouldn't dissect the frog.

Guess I'll never know.

But, that was 11 years ago.

I guess I should have stopped eating meat then, but I guess it just

didn't click for some reason.

I wonder why?

....Huh?

Sorry if I've babbled, but it's nearly 3 AM.

Bye!- Randi

Guest guest

Every one should do the same, Randi, then this world would be not so violant. More and more people do the same already.

Yannisrandi127 <randi127 wrote:

I was just looking at some bumper stickers online and saw one that said,"Proud Parent of a Student Who Won't Dissect". It made me remember back to seventh grade in my Life Science class. Around the end of the semester, we had to dissect frogs.I really didn't want to, and when the time came, I actually started to cry. I don't mean my eyes got watery and I sniffled. It was red eyes, tears pouring, nose running-you get the picture. My teacher, the compassionate woman that she was(NOT), said that I didn't have to cut it if I didn't want to-I would just have to remove certain internal organs she had specified.(there were 2 students to a frog. one to cut, the other to dissect)I wouldn't do that either. She said if I didn't do it, I would get an 'F' on the "assignment". I told her that it didn't matter, I couldn't do it. Everybody

in class was looking at me like I was an idiot. A few laughed.She told me to go to the bathroom and wash my face. When I came back, I just sat in my chair and stared at my lap for the rest of the class. Everybody else was happily cutting up their frogs. I just couldn't understand why nobody else cared. It didn't seem to bother them that they were cutting up an animal.Now I don't particularly care for frogs, I think they're a little creepy, and I'll admit, I'm a teeny-tiny bit afraid of them. Especially the little ones that stick to your windows in the summer. It's just freaky. Anyway, I think that particular 'assignment' was worth a major chunk of the mid-term grade, and I ended up getting a 'D' on my report card.The teacher even called my mom to tell her what I did - or didn't do, actually. My mom told her that I loved animals and that she wasn't suprised at all that I had refused to dissect one.She wasn't

upset about the grade either, which I thought she would have been.I was 11 or 12 years old at the time, and it was pretty embarassing crying in front of about 30 of my classmates.They sort of made fun of me for a while. I'm still not sure if it was because I had cried, or because I wouldn't dissect the frog. Guess I'll never know.But, that was 11 years ago.I guess I should have stopped eating meat then, but I guess it just didn't click for some reason.I wonder why?...Huh?Sorry if I've babbled, but it's nearly 3 AM.Bye!- Randi

Guest guest

I refused to do it (disect a frog), but I was luckier than you. On the day they were doing it, I stayed in the girls' bathroom, exercising. The teacher allowed me to take a written test--I had to memorize all the phyla. I wasn't going to do it, even if they flogged me in public. Likewise, I refused to go to pep rallies (I stayed in the band room and practiced), and refused to salute the flag.

ioannis Tsoucas <itsoucas wrote:

Every one should do the same, Randi, then this world would be not so violant. More and more people do the same already.

Yannisrandi127 <randi127 wrote:

I was just looking at some bumper stickers online and saw one that said,"Proud Parent of a Student Who Won't Dissect". It made me remember back to seventh grade in my Life Science class. Around the end of the semester, we had to dissect frogs.I really didn't want to, and when the time came, I actually started to cry. I don't mean my eyes got watery and I sniffled. It was red eyes, tears pouring, nose running-you get the picture. My teacher, the compassionate woman that she was(NOT), said that I didn't have to cut it if I didn't want to-I would just have to remove certain internal organs she had specified.(there were 2 students to a frog. one to cut, the other to dissect)I wouldn't do that either. She said if I didn't do it, I would get an 'F' on the "assignment". I told her that it didn't matter, I couldn't do it. Everybody

in class was looking at me like I was an idiot. A few laughed.She told me to go to the bathroom and wash my face. When I came back, I just sat in my chair and stared at my lap for the rest of the class. Everybody else was happily cutting up their frogs. I just couldn't understand why nobody else cared. It didn't seem to bother them that they were cutting up an animal.Now I don't particularly care for frogs, I think they're a little creepy, and I'll admit, I'm a teeny-tiny bit afraid of them. Especially the little ones that stick to your windows in the summer. It's just freaky. Anyway, I think that particular 'assignment' was worth a major chunk of the mid-term grade, and I ended up getting a 'D' on my report card.The teacher even called my mom to tell her what I did - or didn't do, actually. My mom told her that I loved animals and that she wasn't suprised at all that I had refused to dissect one.She wasn't

upset about the grade either, which I thought she would have been.I was 11 or 12 years old at the time, and it was pretty embarassing crying in front of about 30 of my classmates.They sort of made fun of me for a while. I'm still not sure if it was because I had cried, or because I wouldn't dissect the frog. Guess I'll never know.But, that was 11 years ago.I guess I should have stopped eating meat then, but I guess it just didn't click for some reason.I wonder why?...Huh?Sorry if I've babbled, but it's nearly 3 AM.Bye!- Randi

Guest guest

hey randi,

i lived through something similar but i was a little older and a lot

more forward than it sounds like you were. in my case it was a pig

fetus they wanted us to hack up and i just decided no way. it was

time to make a stand and i marched down to the principal's office and

told him how disgusted and appalled i was by the assignment and that

i refused to have anything to do with it. well, i lucked out because

the principal was actually a little understanding and let me do a

sort of test book dissection for full credit. i had to study the

parts of an animal on paper and then take a test about the various

organs. i have no idea whether or not my particualr case had any

influence or not but it is my understandidng that sensitive children

are offered this option in some schools nowadays so don't ever

believe that your voice can't be heard. -veganangel :0)

, " randi127 " <randi127@j...> wrote:

> I was just looking at some bumper stickers online and saw one that

> said, " Proud Parent of a Student Who Won't Dissect " .

> It made me remember back to seventh grade in my Life Science class.

> Around the end of the semester, we had to dissect frogs.

> I really didn't want to, and when the time came, I actually started

> to cry. (snip)

Guest guest

i'd like to have one of those bumper stickers (i'm sure my momma would bear it with pride)! as a freshman in my high school we were required to dissect a number of different types of people. my teacher "understood" and sent me to the library during that class day, where i'd have to write a full essay for each animal i didn't carve. that was better than the next year, in my anatomy/physiology class(two years ago, in tenth grade), when i wasn't permitted to leave the room and they were dissecting cats. (the only reason he didn't fail me was because my erstwhile bio teacher had talked to him about it.) i cried, too. it was an angry, dark type of cry, but i had the red face drenched in tears like you did. it disappoints me that the same experience you had almost befell me ten years later and the students were still divided. if i hadn't been just a little "cool" to so solidly defy authority, i'm sure they all would've thought i was stupid for it. during and afterward, i'd hear certain students profess a distaste for cutting into an animal, and i'd try to convince them to tell their teachers, "no" and that there would be a way around it, but only my best friend ever refused to do cut, and that was so he could hang out with me in the library... i don't understand, either.

brii

>"randi127"

> > > just remembered something... >Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:59:11 -0000 > >I was just looking at some bumper stickers online and saw one that >said,"Proud Parent of a Student Who Won't Dissect". >It made me remember back to seventh grade in my Life Science class. >Around the end of the semester, we had to dissect frogs. >I really didn't want to, and when the time came, I actually started >to cry. >I don't mean my eyes got watery and I sniffled. >It was red eyes, tears pouring, nose running-you get the picture. >My teacher, the compassionate woman that she was(NOT), said that I >didn't have to cut it if I didn't want to-I would just have to remove >certain internal organs she had specified.(there were 2 students to a >frog. one to cut, the other to dissect) >I wouldn't do that either. >She said if I didn't do it, I would get an 'F' on the "assignment". >I told her that it didn't matter, I couldn't do it. >Everybody in class was looking at me like I was an idiot. >A few laughed. >She told me to go to the bathroom and wash my face. >When I came back, I just sat in my chair and stared at my lap for the >rest of the class. >Everybody else was happily cutting up their frogs. >I just couldn't understand why nobody else cared. >It didn't seem to bother them that they were cutting up an animal. >Now I don't particularly care for frogs, I think they're a little >creepy, and I'll admit, I'm a teeny-tiny bit afraid of them. >Especially the little ones that stick to your windows in the summer. >It's just freaky. >Anyway, I think that particular 'assignment' was worth a major chunk >of the mid-term grade, and I ended up getting a 'D' on my report card. >The teacher even called my mom to tell her what I did - or didn't do, >actually. >My mom told her that I loved animals and that she wasn't suprised at >all that I had refused to dissect one. >She wasn't upset about the grade either, which I thought she would >have been. >I was 11 or 12 years old at the time, and it was pretty embarassing >crying in front of about 30 of my classmates. >They sort of made fun of me for a while. >I'm still not sure if it was because I had cried, or because I >wouldn't dissect the frog. >Guess I'll never know. >But, that was 11 years ago. >I guess I should have stopped eating meat then, but I guess it just >didn't click for some reason. >I wonder why? >...Huh? >Sorry if I've babbled, but it's nearly 3 AM. >Bye!- Randi > > > Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed Internet access.