IndiaDivine.org

Re:HAM at Easter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you everyone for your imput.

I think I've decided to go to connect with my family. I am planning on bringing a huge bowl of tabouli so I can have something to eat and share. I am also going to try to get a way a little bit and asked a friend to come visit to give me a break (I hope he can). I realized that my thoughts will not help matters if I constantly think about pigs, factory farming, and suffering in general. If someone asks I will share but if not, I will not. I may just try to discipline myself for the day and not think about such things meanwhile focus on the children and others.

Anna...in my e-mail I never said that the cook does not have the perogative to prepare what she wants. Of course. My point is whether or not I will be able to deal with it - and how I can best deal with it - with a smile on my face. Lately I am more sensitized than ever to the issue - maybe you aren't as sensitive as I am about it.

I have frequently eaten with other family members at restaurants and in their homes. It's usually not a big deal unless they order something like "rack of lamb" or something like that. In those cases I just may leave earlier or take a walk for a break - and I don't say anything. If I eat at my family's home I usually just feel grateful for food that I can eat (as I did last Thanksgiving). But this felt different...perhaps because Easter is special to me as well and the idea of spending the whole day around a big ham was just to much.

Thanks to those of you who understood.

Kristina

In a message dated 4/4/04 3:37:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Sorry, but it's my belief that the cook has the prerogative to serve whatever they feel like cooking. I'm facing the similar situation - I just plan to eat the baked potatoes and veggies that are served and keep my peace.Love,AnnaP.S. When my parents come to my house I serve vegetarian food and my mother eats it with a smile. My stepfather insists on having steak, though, so I make my mom bring , cook, and clean up after it.>lv2breathe > >CC: Lv2breathe Difficult situation>Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:42:32 EST>>Hi everyone>>I have a different topic I need/want to post about. Some of you maybe>annoyed with me re: my other posts...so I understand if you don't want to >comment.>I am sorry if I annoyed anyone prior...it wasn't my intention. If you feel>inspired to post, I'd appreciate it.>>Today I found out my sisters and their children will be celebrating Easter>with not only an Easter egg hunt but with HAM. My mother told me >this...and I>was surprised at my reaction. The whole idea sickened me so much, mostly>because Easter and Christmas, in my eyes are holidays with positive and >loving>feelings, that they would celebrate by eating a pig! A pig who is most >probably a>live right now...awaiting to be slaughtered.>>I tolerate meat eating everyday (except in my own home)...just like you all>have to. And I usually don't make a big deal about it...but this bothered >me>so much... to the point where I am not even sure I want to go. I admit my>family as a whole is already on shaky ground so that may have something to >do with>it. I just know seeing the ham there will be depressing to me and I am not>sure I will be able to hide my feelings. Especially since I just saw>"Peaceable Kingdom". I was surprised how low my tolerance was for >this...but yet, even>being aware of it I still can't help my feelings. I want to have my family>in my life and don't want to cause a big rift out of something like>this...obviously they have their own free will and they can choose what >they want to eat.> Still, finding it hard to "let it go" and allow them to just be and to >have>a smile on my face at the same time. This event is not around the >block...I>will have to travel 2.5 hours with another my sister and her children...all>meat eaters...and then attend the party. So, in essence, I will be >surrounded>with this for most of the day...without and escape and I am wondering how I>will cope.>>Part of my anger stems from the hypocrisy of the event. To me Easter and>Christmas are times where we express the best parts of ourselves...the >goodness,>the generosity, the love, etc...and to enjoy eating a pig, who only days>before fought for it's life, is to me the exact opposite of the values the >holiday>represents. Maybe I am just fed up with the clamoring of "peace, love and>joy" but no one making a real effort to make it real.>>Maybe I am making too much of a big deal. A part of me says "go" it will >be>strengthening for my character...and good for family relations. Another >part>of me wants to do something nicer on that day...like see the "Haute Dogs>Easter Parade" in my town. This is a sweet event.>>Anyways...do any of you feel anxiety before such events? Do you wonder>sometimes if you'll be able to "stay nice" the whole time and not make a >comment?>How do you deal with it if you do?>>Thanks

Guest guest

hi all

i also think that its imperative to make guests feel welcome so myself as a cook i wouldnt always expect to have my way.......if my muslim friendscame for lunch i wouldnt offer wine, and if my jewish friends came i would buy a kosher snack,so if i am vegan i would expect them to make me welcome too......

its about manners, here we say charity begins at home, meaning good manners, which can include welcoming familyand friends and making them feel comfortable when visiting.......

catherine

>lv2breathe > > >CC: Lv2breathe > Re:HAM at Easter >Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:47:00 EDT > >Thank you everyone for your imput. > >I think I've decided to go to connect with my family. I am planning on >bringing a huge bowl of tabouli so I can have something to eat and share. I am >also going to try to get a way a little bit and asked a friend to come visit to >give me a break (I hope he can). I realized that my thoughts will not help >matters if I constantly think about pigs, factory farming, and suffering in >general. If someone asks I will share but if not, I will not. I may just try to >discipline myself for the day and not think about such things meanwhile focus >on the children and others. > >Anna...in my e-mail I never said that the cook does not have the perogative >to prepare what she wants. Of course. My point is whether or not I will be >able to deal with it - and how I can best deal with it - with a smile on my >face. Lately I am more sensitized than ever to the issue - maybe you aren't as >sensitive as I am about it. > >I have frequently eaten with other family members at restaurants and in their >homes. It's usually not a big deal unless they order something like "rack of >lamb" or something like that. In those cases I just may leave earlier or take >a walk for a break - and I don't say anything. If I eat at my family's home >I usually just feel grateful for food that I can eat (as I did last >Thanksgiving). But this felt different...perhaps because Easter is special to me as well >and the idea of spending the whole day around a big ham was just to much. > >Thanks to those of you who understood. > >Kristina > >In a message dated 4/4/04 3:37:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time, > writes: >Sorry, but it's my belief that the cook has the prerogative to serve >whatever they feel like cooking. I'm facing the similar situation - I just >plan to eat the baked potatoes and veggies that are served and keep my >peace. > >Love, >Anna > >P.S. When my parents come to my house I serve vegetarian food and my mother >eats it with a smile. My stepfather insists on having steak, though, so I >make my mom bring , cook, and clean up after it. > > > >lv2breathe > > > > > >CC: Lv2breathe > > Difficult situation > >Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:42:32 EST > > > >Hi everyone > > > >I have a different topic I need/want to post about. Some of you maybe > >annoyed with me re: my other posts...so I understand if you don't want to > >comment. > >I am sorry if I annoyed anyone prior...it wasn't my intention. If you feel > >inspired to post, I'd appreciate it. > > > >Today I found out my sisters and their children will be celebrating Easter > >with not only an Easter egg hunt but with HAM. My mother told me > >this...and I > >was surprised at my reaction. The whole idea sickened me so much, mostly > >because Easter and Christmas, in my eyes are holidays with positive and > >loving > >feelings, that they would celebrate by eating a pig! A pig who is most > >probably a > >live right now...awaiting to be slaughtered. > > > >I tolerate meat eating everyday (except in my own home)...just like you all > >have to. And I usually don't make a big deal about it...but this bothered > >me > >so much... to the point where I am not even sure I want to go. I admit my > >family as a whole is already on shaky ground so that may have something to > >do with > >it. I just know seeing the ham there will be depressing to me and I am not > >sure I will be able to hide my feelings. Especially since I just saw > >"Peaceable Kingdom". I was surprised how low my tolerance was for > >this...but yet, even > >being aware of it I still can't help my feelings. I want to have my family > >in my life and don't want to cause a big rift out of something like > >this...obviously they have their own free will and they can choose what > >they want to eat. > > Still, finding it hard to "let it go" and allow them to just be and to > >have > >a smile on my face at the same time. This event is not around the > >block...I > >will have to travel 2.5 hours with another my sister and her children...all > >meat eaters...and then attend the party. So, in essence, I will be > >surrounded > >with this for most of the day...without and escape and I am wondering how I > >will cope. > > > >Part of my anger stems from the hypocrisy of the event. To me Easter and > >Christmas are times where we express the best parts of ourselves...the > >goodness, > >the generosity, the love, etc...and to enjoy eating a pig, who only days > >before fought for it's life, is to me the exact opposite of the values the > >holiday > >represents. Maybe I am just fed up with the clamoring of "peace, love and > >joy" but no one making a real effort to make it real. > > > >Maybe I am making too much of a big deal. A part of me says "go" it will > >be > >strengthening for my character...and good for family relations. Another > >part > >of me wants to do something nicer on that day...like see the "Haute Dogs > >Easter Parade" in my town. This is a sweet event. > > > >Anyways...do any of you feel anxiety before such events? Do you wonder > >sometimes if you'll be able to "stay nice" the whole time and not make a > >comment? > >How do you deal with it if you do? > > > >Thanks Are you going travelling? Help us to find the 100 best internet cafes in the world. Click here for more details and you could win £250 and a digital camera!

Guest guest

Hi Kristina,

I think your idea of bringing tabouli is good and delicious. I may follow

your example and bring a tasty dish to share to family's Easter dinner. Any

other suggestions?

Love,

Anna

>lv2breathe

>

>

>CC: Lv2breathe

> Re:HAM at Easter

>Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:47:00 EDT

>

>Thank you everyone for your imput.

>

>I think I've decided to go to connect with my family. I am planning on

>bringing a huge bowl of tabouli so I can have something to eat and share.

>I am

>also going to try to get a way a little bit and asked a friend to come

>visit to

>give me a break (I hope he can). I realized that my thoughts will not help

>matters if I constantly think about pigs, factory farming, and suffering in

>general. If someone asks I will share but if not, I will not. I may just

>try to

>discipline myself for the day and not think about such things meanwhile

>focus

>on the children and others.

>

>Anna...in my e-mail I never said that the cook does not have the perogative

>to prepare what she wants. Of course. My point is whether or not I will

>be

>able to deal with it - and how I can best deal with it - with a smile on my

>face. Lately I am more sensitized than ever to the issue - maybe you

>aren't as

>sensitive as I am about it.

>

>I have frequently eaten with other family members at restaurants and in

>their

>homes. It's usually not a big deal unless they order something like " rack

>of

>lamb " or something like that. In those cases I just may leave earlier or

>take

>a walk for a break - and I don't say anything. If I eat at my family's

>home

>I usually just feel grateful for food that I can eat (as I did last

>Thanksgiving). But this felt different...perhaps because Easter is special

>to me as well

>and the idea of spending the whole day around a big ham was just to much.

>

>Thanks to those of you who understood.

>

>Kristina

>

>In a message dated 4/4/04 3:37:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

> writes:

>Sorry, but it's my belief that the cook has the prerogative to serve

>whatever they feel like cooking. I'm facing the similar situation - I just

>plan to eat the baked potatoes and veggies that are served and keep my

>peace.

>

>Love,

>Anna

>

>P.S. When my parents come to my house I serve vegetarian food and my

>mother

>eats it with a smile. My stepfather insists on having steak, though, so I

>make my mom bring , cook, and clean up after it.

>

>

> >lv2breathe

> >

> >

> >CC: Lv2breathe

> > Difficult situation

> >Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:42:32 EST

> >

> >Hi everyone

> >

> >I have a different topic I need/want to post about. Some of you maybe

> >annoyed with me re: my other posts...so I understand if you don't want to

> >comment.

> >I am sorry if I annoyed anyone prior...it wasn't my intention. If you

>feel

> >inspired to post, I'd appreciate it.

> >

> >Today I found out my sisters and their children will be celebrating

>Easter

> >with not only an Easter egg hunt but with HAM. My mother told me

> >this...and I

> >was surprised at my reaction. The whole idea sickened me so much, mostly

> >because Easter and Christmas, in my eyes are holidays with positive and

> >loving

> >feelings, that they would celebrate by eating a pig! A pig who is most

> >probably a

> >live right now...awaiting to be slaughtered.

> >

> >I tolerate meat eating everyday (except in my own home)...just like you

>all

> >have to. And I usually don't make a big deal about it...but this

>bothered

> >me

> >so much... to the point where I am not even sure I want to go. I admit

>my

> >family as a whole is already on shaky ground so that may have something

>to

> >do with

> >it. I just know seeing the ham there will be depressing to me and I am

>not

> >sure I will be able to hide my feelings. Especially since I just saw

> > " Peaceable Kingdom " . I was surprised how low my tolerance was for

> >this...but yet, even

> >being aware of it I still can't help my feelings. I want to have my

>family

> >in my life and don't want to cause a big rift out of something like

> >this...obviously they have their own free will and they can choose what

> >they want to eat.

> > Still, finding it hard to " let it go " and allow them to just be and to

> >have

> >a smile on my face at the same time. This event is not around the

> >block...I

> >will have to travel 2.5 hours with another my sister and her

>children...all

> >meat eaters...and then attend the party. So, in essence, I will be

> >surrounded

> >with this for most of the day...without and escape and I am wondering how

>I

> >will cope.

> >

> >Part of my anger stems from the hypocrisy of the event. To me Easter and

> >Christmas are times where we express the best parts of ourselves...the

> >goodness,

> >the generosity, the love, etc...and to enjoy eating a pig, who only days

> >before fought for it's life, is to me the exact opposite of the values

>the

> >holiday

> >represents. Maybe I am just fed up with the clamoring of " peace, love

>and

> >joy " but no one making a real effort to make it real.

> >

> >Maybe I am making too much of a big deal. A part of me says " go " it will

> >be

> >strengthening for my character...and good for family relations. Another

> >part

> >of me wants to do something nicer on that day...like see the " Haute Dogs

> >Easter Parade " in my town. This is a sweet event.

> >

> >Anyways...do any of you feel anxiety before such events? Do you wonder

> >sometimes if you'll be able to " stay nice " the whole time and not make a

> >comment?

> >How do you deal with it if you do?

> >

> >Thanks

Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Multiple plans available.

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=hotmail/es2 & ST=1/go/onm00200362ave/dire\

ct/01/

Guest guest

i would bring a fresh green salad..it is spring and all...

er...

Hot Cross Buns Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon mixed spice

500 gm currents

1 1/2 teaspoon yeast

1 teaspoon organic sugar

1/3 cup warm water

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions: Put flour, salt, spice, 1 tbsp vegan sugar, currents in a bowl. Leave in a warm place. Mix yeast, 1 tsp vegan sugar and water. Leave yeast mixture to rise. Stir yeast mixture into flour mixture. Knead, roll into buns and leave in a warm place to rise. Bake 10-15 minutes at 425F. Makes six.

Wild Spring Flower Salad Ingredients:

1/3 cup wood violet blossoms

2 cup wood violet leaves

1 cup young dandelion greens

1/3. cup sour grass (clover like wood sorrel)

1/4 cup salad burnet leaves

4 cup other lettuce

1/2 cup toasted walnuts

1/2 cup drained mandarin oranges (from can)

1/2 cup fresh or partially thawed frozen raspberries

raspberry or tangerine vineagrette

Directions: Toast walnuts and cool. Toss all ingredients and serve on a lovely bright spring day

Serves 4.

Kibbeh Ingredients:

1 pound bulgur or cracked wheat

boilin water

6 carrots, minced (you can use as much as 12 if you wish)

2 large onions, minced

1 cup of parsley, minced

4 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 cup of olive Oil

1/4 cup of sunflower seeds

1/4 cup of black Olive, sliced (Optional)

1 package of tofu, scrambled (Optional)

salt and pepper to taste

Directions: This recipe is modified, but originally Kibbeh was an ancient Lebanese recipe made with lamb ground meat. Put the cracked wheat in a large bowl and pour boiling water to cover. The cracked wheat will grow instantly. Wait 5 or 10 minutes. With a cheese cloth, squeeze out the excess of water. Combine all the ingredients, and mix well for five to 10 minutes. Put in a baking tray, cut it into even squares and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 350 F for 30 minutes. Serves: 10 Preparation time: 1 hour

I think your idea of bringing tabouli is good and delicious. I may follow

your example and bring a tasty dish to share to family's Easter dinner. Any

other suggestions?