IndiaDivine.org

Veganism got old

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi there

I had an interesting conversation yesterday. While walking my dog I came across a neighbor who used to work at the health food store. We have been friendly before and I was curious if she was a vegan or not. So after chatting a little bit I asked her if she is into the vegetarian thing. She said "I used to be vegan. I eat fish now. I was tired of not finding anything on restaurant menus. I was throwing up in the middle of the night due to too little protein. My nutritionist said that I wasn't getting enough protein. The diet got old fast".

She asked me if I was veg...and I wasn't trying to show her up or anything...but I told her, I have been veg for 18 years. I said it suited me and I liked it a lot. I left it at that.

Although I am glad she doesn't eat factory farmed animals...the comments kind of bugged me. For me, it would take a lot for me to eat animals again. I just can't or won't do it...my feelings over the suffering greatly outweigh any convenience or taste concerns I may have. Also, maybe I am lucky here, but I don't find it boring at all! I feel I could go a long time without even repeating the same recipes...thankfully my personality is such that I don't need to do that. I barely have time to experiment with what I eat now. And as for the protein issue...I get plenty. I can say for certain protein is NOT a problem. My hair and nails are strong...I just know, on an intuitive level, I am not lacking. I was skeptical of the throwing up thingy...I have never heard of protein deficiency causing nausea.

I guess I can grant her one thing...it is harder to be more social in this world if you are veg. It's probably harder to fit in at your workplace...maybe even harder to make friends. Who knows? And it's more inconvenient to eat out at regular restaurants. Maybe this is what bugged her the most.

Anyways...like I said before...if she only eats fish and more people did that, I would rejoice because that would mean a lot less suffering. I guess I was just taken back by the values issue....some people like her and Drew Barrymore are vegan until it "gets old" or it limits them too much. The values weren't really there in the first place. The last part I think is what felt discouraging.

Just some thoughts.

Kristina

Guest guest

I know people who call themselves veggies or vegans and then eat fish once in a while 'because they need the protein'. I think the trouble is they give up eating meat and don't bother to find out what other protein they should/could be eating. Shows a lack of commitment, doesn't it.

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Thursday, May 06, 2004 7:58 PM

"Veganism got old"

Hi there

I had an interesting conversation yesterday. While walking my dog I came across a neighbor who used to work at the health food store. We have been friendly before and I was curious if she was a vegan or not. So after chatting a little bit I asked her if she is into the vegetarian thing. She said "I used to be vegan. I eat fish now. I was tired of not finding anything on restaurant menus. I was throwing up in the middle of the night due to too little protein. My nutritionist said that I wasn't getting enough protein. The diet got old fast".

She asked me if I was veg...and I wasn't trying to show her up or anything...but I told her, I have been veg for 18 years. I said it suited me and I liked it a lot. I left it at that.

Although I am glad she doesn't eat factory farmed animals...the comments kind of bugged me. For me, it would take a lot for me to eat animals again. I just can't or won't do it...my feelings over the suffering greatly outweigh any convenience or taste concerns I may have. Also, maybe I am lucky here, but I don't find it boring at all! I feel I could go a long time without even repeating the same recipes...thankfully my personality is such that I don't need to do that. I barely have time to experiment with what I eat now. And as for the protein issue...I get plenty. I can say for certain protein is NOT a problem. My hair and nails are strong...I just know, on an intuitive level, I am not lacking. I was skeptical of the throwing up thingy...I have never heard of protein deficiency causing nausea.

I guess I can grant her one thing...it is harder to be more social in this world if you are veg. It's probably harder to fit in at your workplace...maybe even harder to make friends. Who knows? And it's more inconvenient to eat out at regular restaurants. Maybe this is what bugged her the most.

Anyways...like I said before...if she only eats fish and more people did that, I would rejoice because that would mean a lot less suffering. I guess I was just taken back by the values issue....some people like her and Drew Barrymore are vegan until it "gets old" or it limits them too much. The values weren't really there in the first place. The last part I think is what felt discouraging.

Just some thoughts.

KristinaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

fer some folks its just a fad, er somethin' they "go through"

unfortunately to me, its akin to statin one day "ya know, i'm tired of carin fer my fellows, i think i'm goin to become racist"

*shrug*

as an aside..my now ex went from vegan to veg...

why??

cuz its "easier"

like bein vegan is hard

but then again, she never really cared about animal rights er factory farmin anyways...

egads..i feel like i failed now

*sigh*

fraggle

Guest guest

To me, the differents between being vegan and meat-eater is the same as being civilized or savage.

It's not something you take lightly.

! Groups Sponsor