IndiaDivine.org

Veganism got old

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

CALMING? TOO MANY ENDORPHINS / STIMULATION WAH!,

Sadly I`ve eaten my allowance for this week, so looking forward to the weekend.....luckily the cavalry arrived to feed my habit, in the form of my mother baking me a chocolate cake. So I have a piece of that in my lunch box in work every day now.Bliss!

The Valley Vegan......Heartwork <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

I thought chocolate was calming!

Jo

Good grief Christina!

I personally doubt that she was "throwing up in the night" because of a lack of protien. If she was vegetarian, what the hell was she eating?, didnt she have the common sense to do a little research before running to a nutritionist?If she had that ailment surely a doctor would have been the first port of call? and as for having little or no choice at restaurants, couldnt she ring ahead? It sounds as though it is a thin viel of excuses for wanting to eat fish! Can`t criticise her for that, after all its her choice, but I can criticise for lack of a good story!

Ranting again, must be that half a bar of 70% cocoa chocolate I just consumed.......I`ll be high for hours!

The Valley Vegan......To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Guest guest

I`m afraid I am more of the c`est la vie - live and let live, each to their own policy my self, and not as militant in my beliefs against others as yourself possibly?

What does " actively renouncing enlightenment " mean - scuse my ignorance! I`m just a valley boy!

The Valley Vegan.....fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! <phytoscarfingsimianpod wrote:

It sounds as though it is a thin viel of excuses for wanting to eat fish! Can`t criticise her for that, after all its her choice,

while i'm far less apt to say so to anyone outside of vegan chat, i can and do criticize her for it. having been vegan, she's obviously aware of the suffering that goes on, and i critcize anyone for actively renouncing enlightenment and ceasing to care. ~~brii

>peter hurd <swpgh01 > > >Re: "Veganism got old" >Sat, 8 May 2004 13:59:57 +0100 (BST) > >Good grief Christina! >I personally doubt that she was "throwing up in the night" because of a lack of protien. If she was vegetarian, what the hell was she eating?, didnt she have the common sense to do a little research before running to a nutritionist?If she had that ailment surely a doctor would have been the first port of call? and as for having little or no choice at restaurants, couldnt she ring ahead? It sounds as though it is a thin viel of excuses for wanting to eat fish! Can`t criticise her for that, after all its her choice, but I can criticise for lack of a good story! >Ranting again, must be that half a bar of 70% cocoa chocolate I just consumed.......I`ll be high for hours! >The Valley Vegan...... > >lv2breathe wrote: >Hi there > >I had an interesting conversation yesterday. While walking my dog I came across a neighbor who used to work at the health food store. We have been friendly before and I was curious if she was a vegan or not. So after chatting a little bit I asked her if she is into the vegetarian thing. She said "I used to be vegan. I eat fish now. I was tired of not finding anything on restaurant menus. I was throwing up in the middle of the night due to too little protein. My nutritionist said that I wasn't getting enough protein. The diet got old fast". > >She asked me if I was veg...and I wasn't trying to show her up or anything...but I told her, I have been veg for 18 years. I said it suited me and I liked it a lot. I left it at that. > >Although I am glad she doesn't eat factory farmed animals...the comments kind of bugged me. For me, it would take a lot for me to eat animals again. I just can't or won't do it...my feelings over the suffering greatly outweigh any convenience or taste concerns I may have. Also, maybe I am lucky here, but I don't find it boring at all! I feel I could go a long time without even repeating the same recipes...thankfully my personality is such that I don't need to do that. I barely have time to experiment with what I eat now. And as for the protein issue...I get plenty. I can say for certain protein is NOT a problem. My hair and nails are strong...I just know, on an intuitive level, I am not lacking. I was skeptical of the throwing up thingy...I have never heard of protein deficiency causing nausea. > >I guess I can grant her one thing...it is harder to be more social in this world if you are veg. It's probably harder to fit in at your workplace...maybe even harder to make friends. Who knows? And it's more inconvenient to eat out at regular restaurants. Maybe this is what bugged her the most. > >Anyways...like I said before...if she only eats fish and more people did that, I would rejoice because that would mean a lot less suffering. I guess I was just taken back by the values issue....some people like her and Drew Barrymore are vegan until it "gets old" or it limits them too much. The values weren't really there in the first place. The last part I think is what felt discouraging. > >Just some thoughts. > >Kristina > > >To send an email to - > > >

Guest guest

Succinctly put Jo!

The Valley vegan....Heartwork <Heartwork wrote:

Meat would make it worse anyway I reckon - takes longer to digest and has more toxins to deal with. Just when you need help you get a twat! Try taking some vitamin B tablets while you are sorting out your diet. Echinacea might help with the mono too. It would be worth trying.

Jo

i had an appointment with my nutritionist last week, and this time she told me that i should try and eat meat. "maybe try organic meat...it's not the same as eating just any kind of meat." she wants me to test it out and see if it makes me feel any differently. I told her that for my next appointment i will have to call her because I got a new jobs and don't know my hours, so i couldn't make the appointment there. I'm going to find a new nutritionist. She doesn't know much at all about veganism anyways, she hardly helped me.

-SamanthaTo send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I'm jealous - chocolate cake every day mmm...

Jo

CALMING? TOO MANY ENDORPHINS / STIMULATION WAH!,

Sadly I`ve eaten my allowance for this week, so looking forward to the weekend.....luckily the cavalry arrived to feed my habit, in the form of my mother baking me a chocolate cake. So I have a piece of that in my lunch box in work every day now.Bliss!

The Valley Vegan......

Guest guest

i meant that it's odious for someone to just reject the knowledge she's been given. ignorance is one thing, but knowing and pretending to still be ignorant for the sake of convenience is another, far worse thing. i fully believe in live and let live--- as long as the "let live" clause is being upheld. any choice that another makes that doesn't result in someone's suffering is fine with me, but i'm compelled to freedom-fight for those who can't make any choices. in the last five years, i've been the catalyst in creating two new vegans and a vegetarian; and i cringe at the thought of the damage they could have done had i not recognized and used my influence to help. i'm militant in my beliefs for others! ..and there's really no part of me that can see any excuse for causing harm of that magnitude.

while i have to be serious on that topic, i want to switch the mood to light and tell you that i usually giggle aloud at your e-mails! i really dig the humor... (heh, heh, baaaah......) :) ~~brii

>peter hurd <swpgh01 > > >Re: "Veganism got old" >Tue, 11 May 2004 17:23:11 +0100 (BST) > >I`m afraid I am more of the c`est la vie - live and let live, each to their own policy my self, and not as militant in my beliefs against others as yourself possibly? >What does " actively renouncing enlightenment " mean - scuse my ignorance! I`m just a valley boy! >The Valley Vegan..... > >fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! <phytoscarfingsimianpod wrote: > >It sounds as though it is a thin viel of excuses for wanting to eat fish! Can`t criticise her for that, after all its her choice, > >while i'm far less apt to say so to anyone outside of vegan chat, i can and do criticize her for it. having been vegan, she's obviously aware of the suffering that goes on, and i critcize anyone for actively renouncing enlightenment and ceasing to care. ~~brii > > > > > >peter hurd <swpgh01 > > > > > >Re: "Veganism got old" > >Sat, 8 May 2004 13:59:57 +0100 (BST) > > > >Good grief Christina! > >I personally doubt that she was "throwing up in the night" because of a lack of protien. If she was vegetarian, what the hell was she eating?, didnt she have the common sense to do a little research before running to a nutritionist?If she had that ailment surely a doctor would have been the first port of call? and as for having little or no choice at restaurants, couldnt she ring ahead? It sounds as though it is a thin viel of excuses for wanting to eat fish! Can`t criticise her for that, after all its her choice, but I can criticise for lack of a good story! > >Ranting again, must be that half a bar of 70% cocoa chocolate I just consumed.......I`ll be high for hours! > >The Valley Vegan...... > > > >lv2breathe wrote: > >Hi there > > > >I had an interesting conversation yesterday. While walking my dog I came across a neighbor who used to work at the health food store. We have been friendly before and I was curious if she was a vegan or not. So after chatting a little bit I asked her if she is into the vegetarian thing. She said "I used to be vegan. I eat fish now. I was tired of not finding anything on restaurant menus. I was throwing up in the middle of the night due to too little protein. My nutritionist said that I wasn't getting enough protein. The diet got old fast". > > > >She asked me if I was veg...and I wasn't trying to show her up or anything...but I told her, I have been veg for 18 years. I said it suited me and I liked it a lot. I left it at that. > > > >Although I am glad she doesn't eat factory farmed animals...the comments kind of bugged me. For me, it would take a lot for me to eat animals again. I just can't or won't do it...my feelings over the suffering greatly outweigh any convenience or taste concerns I may have. Also, maybe I am lucky here, but I don't find it boring at all! I feel I could go a long time without even repeating the same recipes...thankfully my personality is such that I don't need to do that. I barely have time to experiment with what I eat now. And as for the protein issue...I get plenty. I can say for certain protein is NOT a problem. My hair and nails are strong...I just know, on an intuitive level, I am not lacking. I was skeptical of the throwing up thingy...I have never heard of protein deficiency causing nausea. > > > >I guess I can grant her one thing...it is harder to be more social in this world if you are veg. It's probably harder to fit in at your workplace...maybe even harder to make friends. Who knows? And it's more inconvenient to eat out at regular restaurants. Maybe this is what bugged her the most. > > > >Anyways...like I said before...if she only eats fish and more people did that, I would rejoice because that would mean a lot less suffering. I guess I was just taken back by the values issue....some people like her and Drew Barrymore are vegan until it "gets old" or it limits them too much. The values weren't really there in the first place. The last part I think is what felt discouraging. > > > >Just some thoughts. > > > >Kristina > > > > > >To send an email to - > > > > > >

Guest guest

" fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! "

<phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:

>

I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I

went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother

over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the

way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was

also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be

polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, " Oh, we can't eat

there because both my son & I don't eat meat. " Well, it was weird

after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My

mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more

vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four

slices of bacon on top. She kept saying " I don't know why, I just

really feel like eating meat. " I felt so sad. I had looked forward to

cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we

eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a

hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying

time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and

almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects

kitchy cow things because she says to me, " I love cows. They are

so cute " . And I said " Yes, I love them too. " Everyone was

concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my

son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but

we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting

enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,

suddenly everyone is concerned. " I know why people get weird. I

think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience

sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always

ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I

told her, " Mom, I eat very healthy " I told her some recipes and

she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very

healthy too. Then I told her " It isn't me you need to worry about,

you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and

stroke food. " My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if

I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info

from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy

meals and conversations instead about health and animal

rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west

coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other

reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.

No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by

ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life

is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to

tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it

would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave

my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who

choose to look away from the truth. : (

-NMia

Guest guest

I can understand what you mean about leaving your vegan family and going into the world who choose to turn away from the truth. I am 18 years old and live with one of my sisters and my mother and father. Whenever my sister gets mad at me now, the 21 year old girl insults me by calling me a vegan. It always brings a smile on my face and I can't help but laugh. My father doesn't believe anything I say about what happens to animals or what has animal products in it and how they are processed. He says to me that I can't believe everything I hear or read. However, for the past month my mother has been eating mostly a vegan diet. She still consumes wines that definitely have animal products in them, and she refuses to believe me that most restaurant's have eggs in their pasta. I have even called the places and know for a fact that they do, and she still decides to deny it, because my parent's go out to eat a lot, and she knows that it

cuts out even that more places to go to. But when I am with my boyfriend it's great! He isn't vegan or even vegetarian, but he likes so many different kinds of foods, and we are always together, so we aren't going to make food that isn't vegan, so he has been eating mostly vegan food, and he is loosing those extra pounds he didn't want, and feels better! My friends from time to time will still ask me, "So, are you still doing that vegan thing?" They think it is just a phase I am going through, and think that nobody really can do that forever. Living on the east coast with all the seafood and lots and lots of meat based restaurants, they aren't used to someone "giving up" all this. Last night my friend was asking me some stuff about veganism, and then gave her opinion, and wouldn't even let me say what I wanted to say because she didn't want to get into it. People always say the same things..."what do you eat?" "I could never do

that." "Can you eat this, or that?" And then when I say that I had something that isn't regularly vegan, but I can buy it that way, for instance, ice cream or something like that, they gasp loudly, and they are like THAT'S NOT VEGAN! (what is the point of putting the word vegan in front of every kind of food I talk about it, they know I am vegan...my mother does that to me and it is really annoying.) wherever we go, they have to tell everyone that I am vegan as if I am from another planet. None of this stuff really bothers me that much, I is just getting old, and I have only been vegan for 7 months. I'm sure it will all die down after awhile, but then again...probably not. I'm sure you have all heard all of this and much more, of course if I were to list all of the things then this would be even longer than it is...is that possible? on that note, I should save all of you and stop babbling.

-Samantha

changes4love <changes4love wrote:

, "fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!" wrote:> I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, "Oh, we can't eat there because both my son & I don't eat meat." Well, it was weird after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four slices of bacon on top. She kept saying "I don't know why, I just really

feel like eating meat." I felt so sad. I had looked forward to cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects kitchy cow things because she says to me, "I love cows. They are so cute". And I said "Yes, I love them too." Everyone was concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy, suddenly everyone is concerned." I know why people get weird. I think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always

ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I told her, "Mom, I eat very healthy" I told her some recipes and she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very healthy too. Then I told her "It isn't me you need to worry about, you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and stroke food." My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy meals and conversations instead about health and animal rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet. No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I

just needed to tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who choose to look away from the truth. : (-NMia

Guest guest

Samantha,

my wife has been vegetarian since she was 18 (she is now 40)

it was hard for her too but she has never looked back

she still looks like she is in her 20's

she is fit too

all I can say is stick with it you will probably find your old friends may not suit your new life style

but be patient with them

all the best

Craig

ps I have been Veggie for 27 years

but I had 7 years in the beginning where I wasn't that strict

so really it has only been 20 years

we have both been Vegan for 3 now

Samantha Demers [samADemers]Saturday, May 15, 2004 1:36 AM Subject: Re: Re: "Veganism got old"

I can understand what you mean about leaving your vegan family and going into the world who choose to turn away from the truth. I am 18 years old and live with one of my sisters and my mother and father. Whenever my sister gets mad at me now, the 21 year old girl insults me by calling me a vegan. It always brings a smile on my face and I can't help but laugh. My father doesn't believe anything I say about what happens to animals or what has animal products in it and how they are processed. He says to me that I can't believe everything I hear or read. However, for the past month my mother has been eating mostly a vegan diet. She still consumes wines that definitely have animal products in them, and she refuses to believe me that most restaurant's have eggs in their pasta. I have even called the places and know for a fact that they do, and she still decides to deny it, because my parent's go out to eat a lot, and she knows that it cuts out even that more places to go to. But when I am with my boyfriend it's great! He isn't vegan or even vegetarian, but he likes so many different kinds of foods, and we are always together, so we aren't going to make food that isn't vegan, so he has been eating mostly vegan food, and he is loosing those extra pounds he didn't want, and feels better! My friends from time to time will still ask me, "So, are you still doing that vegan thing?" They think it is just a phase I am going through, and think that nobody really can do that forever. Living on the east coast with all the seafood and lots and lots of meat based restaurants, they aren't used to someone "giving up" all this. Last night my friend was asking me some stuff about veganism, and then gave her opinion, and wouldn't even let me say what I wanted to say because she didn't want to get into it. People always say the same things..."what do you eat?" "I could never do that." "Can you eat this, or that?" And then when I say that I had something that isn't regularly vegan, but I can buy it that way, for instance, ice cream or something like that, they gasp loudly, and they are like THAT'S NOT VEGAN! (what is the point of putting the word vegan in front of every kind of food I talk about it, they know I am vegan...my mother does that to me and it is really annoying.) wherever we go, they have to tell everyone that I am vegan as if I am from another planet. None of this stuff really bothers me that much, I is just getting old, and I have only been vegan for 7 months. I'm sure it will all die down after awhile, but then again...probably not. I'm sure you have all heard all of this and much more, of course if I were to list all of the things then this would be even longer than it is...is that possible? on that note, I should save all of you and stop babbling.

-Samantha

changes4love <changes4love wrote:

, "fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!" wrote:> I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, "Oh, we can't eat there because both my son & I don't eat meat." Well, it was weird after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four slices of bacon on top. She kept saying "I don't know why, I just really feel like eating meat." I felt so sad. I had looked forward to cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects kitchy cow things because she says to me, "I love cows. They are so cute". And I said "Yes, I love them too." Everyone was concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy, suddenly everyone is concerned." I know why people get weird. I think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I told her, "Mom, I eat very healthy" I told her some recipes and she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very healthy too. Then I told her "It isn't me you need to worry about, you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and stroke food." My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy meals and conversations instead about health and animal rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet. No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who choose to look away from the truth. : (-NMia

Guest guest

Sopy for the late response. I'm still catching up on e-mail that collected

while my computer was down.

I've always suspected that the reason people get so defensive around

vegetarians and vegans is because, deep down, they know that eating meat is

wrong and they are desperately trying to justify their diets to themselves.

Love,

Anna

> " changes4love " <changes4love

>

>

> Re: " Veganism got old "

>Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000

>

> ,

> " fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! "

><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:

> >

>

>I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I

>went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother

>over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the

>way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was

>also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be

>polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, " Oh, we can't eat

>there because both my son & I don't eat meat. " Well, it was weird

>after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My

>mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more

>vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four

>slices of bacon on top. She kept saying " I don't know why, I just

>really feel like eating meat. " I felt so sad. I had looked forward to

>cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we

>eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a

>hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying

>time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and

>almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects

>kitchy cow things because she says to me, " I love cows. They are

>so cute " . And I said " Yes, I love them too. " Everyone was

>concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my

>son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but

>we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting

>enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,

>suddenly everyone is concerned. " I know why people get weird. I

>think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience

>sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always

>ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I

>told her, " Mom, I eat very healthy " I told her some recipes and

>she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very

>healthy too. Then I told her " It isn't me you need to worry about,

>you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and

>stroke food. " My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if

>I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info

>from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy

>meals and conversations instead about health and animal

>rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west

>coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other

>reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.

>No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by

>ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life

>is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to

>tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it

>would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave

>my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who

>choose to look away from the truth. : (

>-NMia

>

>

Guest guest

I thinkyou are right Anna.

I hear from the people at work that Morrissey was on the Jonathon Ross Show

the other night. The way they were talking about his comments on

vegetarianism and 'Meat is Murder' sounded like they felt guilty to me.

Jo

RE: Re: " Veganism got old "

> Sopy for the late response. I'm still catching up on e-mail that

collected

> while my computer was down.

>

> I've always suspected that the reason people get so defensive around

> vegetarians and vegans is because, deep down, they know that eating meat

is

> wrong and they are desperately trying to justify their diets to

themselves.

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

>

> > " changes4love " <changes4love

> >

> >

> > Re: " Veganism got old "

> >Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000

> >

> > ,

> > " fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! "

> ><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:

> > >

> >

> >I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I

> >went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother

> >over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the

> >way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was

> >also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be

> >polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, " Oh, we can't eat

> >there because both my son & I don't eat meat. " Well, it was weird

> >after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My

> >mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more

> >vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four

> >slices of bacon on top. She kept saying " I don't know why, I just

> >really feel like eating meat. " I felt so sad. I had looked forward to

> >cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we

> >eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a

> >hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying

> >time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and

> >almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects

> >kitchy cow things because she says to me, " I love cows. They are

> >so cute " . And I said " Yes, I love them too. " Everyone was

> >concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my

> >son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but

> >we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting

> >enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,

> >suddenly everyone is concerned. " I know why people get weird. I

> >think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience

> >sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always

> >ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I

> >told her, " Mom, I eat very healthy " I told her some recipes and

> >she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very

> >healthy too. Then I told her " It isn't me you need to worry about,

> >you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and

> >stroke food. " My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if

> >I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info

> >from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy

> >meals and conversations instead about health and animal

> >rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west

> >coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other

> >reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.

> >No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by

> >ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life

> >is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to

> >tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it

> >would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave

> >my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who

> >choose to look away from the truth. : (

> >-NMia

> >

> To send an email to -

>