IndiaDivine.org

Indian Vegetarianism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/15/04 4:18:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Sounds great, although most hindu/Indians are vegetarian , they are not necessarily vegan, and their diet relies heavilly on the use of ghee ( clarified butter) in their cookery, as I understand it.The Valley Vegan....

If I can pipe in here, even though I am not Indian. A few months ago I spoke to an Indian ayurvedic practioner here in the states and he said the ghee produced in India is produced in a humane way...nothing like here. Although we did not go into specifics...so I have no idea if he has any idea what happens here...but that is what he said. Maybe Atul can account for this. ; )

Kristina

Guest guest

I think the point being made was tghat it is not vegan.

Jo

Sounds great, although most hindu/Indians are vegetarian , they are not necessarily vegan, and their diet relies heavilly on the use of ghee ( clarified butter) in their cookery, as I understand it.The Valley Vegan....

If I can pipe in here, even though I am not Indian. A few months ago I spoke to an Indian ayurvedic practioner here in the states and he said the ghee produced in India is produced in a humane way...nothing like here. Although we did not go into specifics...so I have no idea if he has any idea what happens here...but that is what he said. Maybe Atul can account for this. ; )

KristinaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi all,

Well, Ghee is made from cow or buffalo milk. Every morning the owners of cows and/or buffalos milk them. They sell most of the milk and the left over is turned into yogurt. Then they churn the yogurt in big pots. It is a sight when women are doing this. They have a huge whisker, a wood pole with four blades at the end. They put yogurt in a big pot and churn it with that whisk pole. They pour water while churning the yogurt. After a while the butter floats at the top(white butter). I do not eat this anymore. But let me tell you, there is nothing that tastes like it, fresh from the pot. This butter is then cooked at a low temp. which turns into a yellow liquid form. All the fat starts floating on top. Some people use this fat for preparing breads, others throw it away. The left over is called ghee. It stays out without going bad for a long time. I got sick once during my college time in India, the herbal doctor asked me to take all my herbal meds. with ghee. They also

recommend that people with acid problems should eat ghee. My dad died at age 87, ate ghee everyday.

I am staying away from dairy, because I know milk crates flegm. That is what smells when people say I smell dairy on someone. But then I smell something on all meat eaters. I jog in the morning all joggers smell same to me, all are meat eaters.

I shall write more another time.

Enjoy

Atul

lv2breathe wrote:

KristinaTo send an email to -

SBC - Internet access at a great low price.

Guest guest

Right. But isn't the point in being vegan to reduce animal suffering? My point was that if the producing of ghee in India is neutral in terms of how it effects animals....what is the point in getting upset with a little ghee in an Indian dog's diet? It's certainly better than eating meat day in and day out. Same goes for humans.

Kristina

In a message dated 5/17/04 2:47:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 6 Sun, 16 May 2004 14:59:55 +0100 "Heartwork" <HeartworkRe: Re: Indian VegetarianismI think the point being made was tghat it is not vegan.Jo In a message dated 5/15/04 4:18:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes: Sounds great, although most hindu/Indians are vegetarian , they are not necessarily vegan, and their diet relies heavilly on the use of ghee ( clarified butter) in their cookery, as I understand it. The Valley Vegan.... If I can pipe in here, even though I am not Indian. A few months ago I spoke to an Indian ayurvedic practioner here in the states and he said the ghee produced in India is produced in a humane way...nothing like here. Although we did not go into specifics...so I have no idea if he has any idea what happens here...but that is what he said. Maybe Atul can account for this. ; ) Kristina

Guest guest

I don't see how the production of butter can be neutral. It's still

using milk that is naturally intended for calves, and makes male

calves commercially useless except for slaughter.

Dave

----- Original Message from lv2breathe -----

Right. But isn't the point in being vegan to reduce animal suffering? My

point was that if the producing of ghee in India is neutral in terms of how it

effects animals....what is the point in getting upset with a little ghee in an

Indian dog's diet? It's certainly better than eating meat day in and day out.

Same goes for humans.

Kristina

Guest guest

Of course there are degrees of goodness where diet is concerned. I am not getting upset about it, just pointing out that while you may accept ghee as being acceptable, most vegans do not, and this is a vegan chat list.

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Monday, May 17, 2004 3:27 PM

Re: Indian Vegetarianism

Right. But isn't the point in being vegan to reduce animal suffering? My point was that if the producing of ghee in India is neutral in terms of how it effects animals....what is the point in getting upset with a little ghee in an Indian dog's diet? It's certainly better than eating meat day in and day out. Same goes for humans.

Kristina

In a message dated 5/17/04 2:47:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 6 Sun, 16 May 2004 14:59:55 +0100 "Heartwork" <HeartworkRe: Re: Indian VegetarianismI think the point being made was tghat it is not vegan.Jo In a message dated 5/15/04 4:18:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes: Sounds great, although most hindu/Indians are vegetarian , they are not necessarily vegan, and their diet relies heavilly on the use of ghee ( clarified butter) in their cookery, as I understand it. The Valley Vegan.... If I can pipe in here, even though I am not Indian. A few months ago I spoke to an Indian ayurvedic practioner here in the states and he said the ghee produced in India is produced in a humane way...nothing like here. Although we did not go into specifics..! .so I have no idea if he has any idea what happens here...but that is what he said. Maybe Atul can account for this. ; ) Kristina

To send an email to -