IndiaDivine.org

waitress

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I need a job and i was thinking about waitressing...but i don't know if I would be able to handle being around all that meat. There is only one vegetarian restaraunt in the state that I live in (Rhode Island) and I applied there...called them, never got in contact with the owner, i don't think they want me. but my question is...have any of you worked around meat, and if so, how did you feel around it. I don't want to get a job and then quit after a little bit, i feel like i probably will do that.

Thanks,

Samantha

Guest guest

i worked fer a few months last year as a baker...we produced bagels, and they had asiago cheese bagels...i refused to touch em...had someone else do that..

not a great solution..but..sometimes life just isn't that black and white...

dang that amorphous grey area

fraggle

Guest guest

Still catching up on e-mails. Today I was offered and accepted a customer

service job at the Idaho Humane Society. It probably goes without saying

that I would have preferred a job working directly with the animals, but I

really need the money so i took the job that was offered. I'm not epecially

excited about this job, though. Today (I did a " paid interview " today where

I observed the front desk staff for 5 hours ) a supervisor had to deal with

a man who started cryiing and yelling because he couldn't afford to get his

dogs out of impound. I don't think I can deal with that sort of situation.

And when a man dropping off a stray kitten was told there was a $15 drop off

fee he said he'd just take it home and kill it himself.

Plus, I didn't really like one of the supervisors (there are 3 front desk

supervisors). When the man I mentioned above starting getting upset, she

asked how he expected to feed his dogs if he didn't have any money.

Obviiously this woman doesn't know what it's like to be flat broke. I do,

which is one of the reasons I need this job so much. She also said that

Germans are weird. I'm not sure I can work well with insensistive person

who makes broad judgments about a large group of people based on their

national origin.

On top off all of this I have social anxiety disorder and just don't deal

well with people in the first place. One person got snarky with me when I

answered the phone, so I panicked a little bit everytime the phone rang

after that. I have serious misgivings about taking a job that focuses so

much on customer service. Or so little as the case may be. Whenever the

phones started ringing, most of the staff seemed content to just let them

ring, which is why I was answering them so much.

After writing after all this, I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of

accepting this position. I'm disabled and haven't worked for nearly two

years and I'm really not sure this is how I want to seque back into work.

I just don't know what to do.

Love,

Anna

>EBbrewpunx

>

>

>Re: waitress

>Sun, 16 May 2004 21:03:06 EDT

>

>i worked fer a few months last year as a baker...we produced bagels, and

>they

>had asiago cheese bagels...i refused to touch em...had someone else do

>that..

>not a great solution..but..sometimes life just isn't that black and

>white...

>dang that amorphous grey area

>

>fraggle

Guest guest

Anna,

Was that realy the Humane Society, Doesn`t sound very humane to me! I hope you can find something that suits you soon. I know a lot of charities have their hearts in the right place even if they dont employ the best people. I rang the RSPCA once when the building that I was working in was being demolished to ask for help with a litter of kitttens. I was told that as one of them was seriously ill with cat flu that they would not take them for fear of infecting the rest of the kennels!.I found homes for them myself ( well O.K. I had to have the half dead one as it needed the most vets attention, but still going strong 12 years later.) The RSPCA told me that they do not take sick animals without homes as they could infect other animals and would cost the society too much!

Hope it all comes out in the wash ( whatever that means )

The Valley Vegan.....Anna Blaine <annacblaine wrote:

Still catching up on e-mails. Today I was offered and accepted a customer service job at the Idaho Humane Society. It probably goes without saying that I would have preferred a job working directly with the animals, but I really need the money so i took the job that was offered. I'm not epecially excited about this job, though. Today (I did a "paid interview" today where I observed the front desk staff for 5 hours ) a supervisor had to deal with a man who started cryiing and yelling because he couldn't afford to get his dogs out of impound. I don't think I can deal with that sort of situation. And when a man dropping off a stray kitten was told there was a $15 drop off fee he said he'd just take it home and kill it himself.Plus, I didn't really like one of the supervisors (there are 3 front desk supervisors). When the man I mentioned

above starting getting upset, she asked how he expected to feed his dogs if he didn't have any money. Obviiously this woman doesn't know what it's like to be flat broke. I do, which is one of the reasons I need this job so much. She also said that Germans are weird. I'm not sure I can work well with insensistive person who makes broad judgments about a large group of people based on their national origin.On top off all of this I have social anxiety disorder and just don't deal well with people in the first place. One person got snarky with me when I answered the phone, so I panicked a little bit everytime the phone rang after that. I have serious misgivings about taking a job that focuses so much on customer service. Or so little as the case may be. Whenever the phones started ringing, most of the staff seemed content to just let them ring, which is why I was answering them so much.After writing after all this, I'm

seriously questioning the wisdom of accepting this position. I'm disabled and haven't worked for nearly two years and I'm really not sure this is how I want to seque back into work.I just don't know what to do.Love,Anna>EBbrewpunx > >Re: waitress>Sun, 16 May 2004 21:03:06 EDT>>i worked fer a few months last year as a baker...we produced bagels, and >they>had asiago cheese bagels...i refused to touch em...had someone else do >that..>not a great solution..but..sometimes life just isn't that black and >white...>dang that amorphous grey area>>fraggle

Guest guest

this sounds like it's going to be an extremely difficult and draining job for you. you have my empathy! maybe you could really make a difference by working there, though. ...maybe break a few stupid rules and introduce some compassion. it sounds like a dreadful place-- if you can tolerate it, i know your aid would substantially improve life for all the hard-luck kittens and pups.good luck~~brii

>peter hurd <swpgh01 > > >Re: waitress >Sat, 22 May 2004 15:01:52 +0100 (BST) > >Anna, >Was that realy the Humane Society, Doesn`t sound very humane to me! I hope you can find something that suits you soon. I know a lot of charities have their hearts in the right place even if they dont employ the best people. I rang the RSPCA once when the building that I was working in was being demolished to ask for help with a litter of kitttens. I was told that as one of them was seriously ill with cat flu that they would not take them for fear of infecting the rest of the kennels!.I found homes for them myself ( well O.K. I had to have the half dead one as it needed the most vets attention, but still going strong 12 years later.) The RSPCA told me that they do not take sick animals without homes as they could infect other animals and would cost the society too much! >Hope it all comes out in the wash ( whatever that means ) >The Valley Vegan..... > >Anna Blaine <annacblaine wrote: >Still catching up on e-mails. Today I was offered and accepted a customer >service job at the Idaho Humane Society. It probably goes without saying >that I would have preferred a job working directly with the animals, but I >really need the money so i took the job that was offered. I'm not epecially >excited about this job, though. Today (I did a "paid interview" today where >I observed the front desk staff for 5 hours ) a supervisor had to deal with >a man who started cryiing and yelling because he couldn't afford to get his >dogs out of impound. I don't think I can deal with that sort of situation. >And when a man dropping off a stray kitten was told there was a $15 drop off >fee he said he'd just take it home and kill it himself. > >Plus, I didn't really like one of the supervisors (there are 3 front desk >supervisors). When the man I mentioned above starting getting upset, she >asked how he expected to feed his dogs if he didn't have any money. >Obviiously this woman doesn't know what it's like to be flat broke. I do, >which is one of the reasons I need this job so much. She also said that >Germans are weird. I'm not sure I can work well with insensistive person >who makes broad judgments about a large group of people based on their >national origin. > >On top off all of this I have social anxiety disorder and just don't deal >well with people in the first place. One person got snarky with me when I >answered the phone, so I panicked a little bit everytime the phone rang >after that. I have serious misgivings about taking a job that focuses so >much on customer service. Or so little as the case may be. Whenever the >phones started ringing, most of the staff seemed content to just let them >ring, which is why I was answering them so much. > >After writing after all this, I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of >accepting this position. I'm disabled and haven't worked for nearly two >years and I'm really not sure this is how I want to seque back into work. > >I just don't know what to do. > >Love, >Anna > > > >EBbrewpunx > > > > > >Re: waitress > >Sun, 16 May 2004 21:03:06 EDT > > > >i worked fer a few months last year as a baker...we produced bagels, and > >they > >had asiago cheese bagels...i refused to touch em...had someone else do > >that.. > >not a great solution..but..sometimes life just isn't that black and > >white... > >dang that amorphous grey area > > > >fraggle > > > > > >To send an email to - >

Guest guest

The place I now work for would have taken the cat but euthanized it. :(

Love,

Anna

>peter hurd <swpgh01

>

>

>Re: waitress

>Sat, 22 May 2004 15:01:52 +0100 (BST)

>

>Anna,

>Was that realy the Humane Society, Doesn`t sound very humane to me! I hope

>you can find something that suits you soon. I know a lot of charities have

>their hearts in the right place even if they dont employ the best people. I

>rang the RSPCA once when the building that I was working in was being

>demolished to ask for help with a litter of kitttens. I was told that as

>one of them was seriously ill with cat flu that they would not take them

>for fear of infecting the rest of the kennels!.I found homes for them

>myself ( well O.K. I had to have the half dead one as it needed the most

>vets attention, but still going strong 12 years later.) The RSPCA told me

>that they do not take sick animals without homes as they could infect other

>animals and would cost the society too much!

>Hope it all comes out in the wash ( whatever that means )

>The Valley Vegan.....

>

>Anna Blaine <annacblaine wrote:

>Still catching up on e-mails. Today I was offered and accepted a customer

>service job at the Idaho Humane Society. It probably goes without saying

>that I would have preferred a job working directly with the animals, but I

>really need the money so i took the job that was offered. I'm not epecially

>excited about this job, though. Today (I did a " paid interview " today where

>I observed the front desk staff for 5 hours ) a supervisor had to deal with

>a man who started cryiing and yelling because he couldn't afford to get his

>dogs out of impound. I don't think I can deal with that sort of situation.

>And when a man dropping off a stray kitten was told there was a $15 drop

>off

>fee he said he'd just take it home and kill it himself.

>

>Plus, I didn't really like one of the supervisors (there are 3 front desk

>supervisors). When the man I mentioned above starting getting upset, she

>asked how he expected to feed his dogs if he didn't have any money.

>Obviiously this woman doesn't know what it's like to be flat broke. I do,

>which is one of the reasons I need this job so much. She also said that

>Germans are weird. I'm not sure I can work well with insensistive person

>who makes broad judgments about a large group of people based on their

>national origin.

>

>On top off all of this I have social anxiety disorder and just don't deal

>well with people in the first place. One person got snarky with me when I

>answered the phone, so I panicked a little bit everytime the phone rang

>after that. I have serious misgivings about taking a job that focuses so

>much on customer service. Or so little as the case may be. Whenever the

>phones started ringing, most of the staff seemed content to just let them

>ring, which is why I was answering them so much.

>

>After writing after all this, I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of

>accepting this position. I'm disabled and haven't worked for nearly two

>years and I'm really not sure this is how I want to seque back into work.

>

>I just don't know what to do.

>

>Love,

>Anna

>

>

> >EBbrewpunx

> >

> >

> >Re: waitress

> >Sun, 16 May 2004 21:03:06 EDT