IndiaDivine.org

Flextarian article

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/86/99210.htm?pagenumber=2

I finally read this article.

I feel like most do here. I am glad that people are eating less meat, that is good for the animals. Instead of insisting on an absolutely no meat diet, which may prove too much for most people, I'd rather have this than an all or nothing approach.

But what irked me was the focus on "taste". Flextarians seem to be more focused on their own personal health and the taste of meat rather than the ethics of vegetarianism. Oh well, their loss. And how some want to call themselves veg without really making the full committment. There is a different between people who never eat meat and those that do for convenience...we should not be lumped together because those that abstain all the time are really exercising more restraint and sticking with their principles.. It would be so easy to be flextarian. It's more of a committment to stay veg amid pressure and lack of convenience!

I did to Vegetarian Times when it was "stridently activist". I loved it then. I don't begrudge a magazine that is all recipes and less value oriented but I don't anymore. I like the new VegNews...that fills the bill now...it is "activist" in nature like Veg Times used to be.

Kristina

Guest guest

HI Kistina

veganism is more of a joy, an enlightenment to me now, Meat- eating is like some dark twisted night-mare that was instilled in me for a while.

It's a bit like smoking to me (but worse)...do you give up totalling of have the odd smoke?

Couldn't unbold the letters here.

Simon

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Sunday, May 16, 2004 4:37 PM

Flextarian article

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/86/99210.htm?pagenumber=2

I finally read this article.

I feel like most do here. I am glad that people are eating less meat, that is good for the animals. Instead of insisting on an absolutely no meat diet, which may prove too much for most people, I'd rather have this than an all or nothing approach.

But what irked me was the focus on "taste". Flextarians seem to be more focused on their own personal health and the taste of meat rather than the ethics of vegetarianism. Oh well, their loss. And how some want to call themselves veg without really making the full committment. There is a different between people who never eat meat and those that do for convenience...we should not be lumped together because those that abstain all the time are really exercising more restraint and sticking with their principles.. It would be so easy to be flextarian. It's more of a committment to stay veg amid pressure and lack of convenience!

I did to Vegetarian Times when it was "stridently activist". I loved it then. I don't begrudge a magazine that is all recipes and less value oriented but I don't anymore. I like the new VegNews...that fills the bill now...it is "activist" in nature like Veg Times used to be.

KristinaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Yes, I understand this...and that is how it is for me, too. Are we in disagreement?

I just wrote that if people cannot do it full on, like you or me, then I'd be happy if they just eat a lot less meat rather than eating a lot of meat. I am a realist....I am willing to do what people can do instead of hope for perfection.

Kristina

In a message dated 5/17/04 2:47:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 12 Sun, 16 May 2004 17:43:37 +0100 "simonpjones" <simonpjonesRe: Flextarian articleHI Kistinaveganism is more of a joy, an enlightenment to me now, Meat- eating is like some dark twisted night-mare that was instilled in me for a while.It's a bit like smoking to me (but worse)...do you give up totalling of have the odd smoke? Couldn't unbold the letters here.Simon- lv2breathe Cc: Lv2breathe Sunday, May 16, 2004 4:37 PM Flextarian article http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/86/99210.htm?pagenumber=2 I finally read this article. I feel like most do here. I am glad that people are eating less meat, that is good for the animals. Instead of insisting on an absolutely no meat diet, which may prove too much for most people, I'd rather have this than an all or nothing approach. But what irked me was the focus on "taste". Flextarians seem to be more focused on their own personal health and the taste of meat rather than the ethics of vegetarianism. Oh well, their loss. And how some want to call themselves veg without really making the full committment. There is a different between people who never eat meat and those that do for convenience...we should not be lumped together because those that abstain all the time are really exercising more restraint and sticking with their principles.. It would be so easy to be flextarian. It's more of a committment to stay veg amid pressure and lack of convenience! I did to Vegetarian Times when it was "stridently activist". I loved it then. I don't begrudge a magazine that is all recipes and less value oriented but I don't anymore. I like the new VegNews...that fills the bill now...it is "activist" in nature like Veg Times used to be. Kristina

Guest guest

I agree, the less meat-eating the better, and if someone is willing to wean themselves off meat-eating that is good and they should get as much encouragement as they can get...I wouldn't encourage someone who was intent on eating meat all their lives ( even small amounts) to carry on. I would say something like it's good you don't eat lots of meat, but a lot better not to eat any animal products...for the obvious reasons.

I take your point and you are very forgiving towards the flexiarians....but I can't see the flexies views as acceptable in any way at all.

I might become a Staturian.

Simon

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Monday, May 17, 2004 3:44 PM

Re:Flextarian article

Yes, I understand this...and that is how it is for me, too. Are we in disagreement?

I just wrote that if people cannot do it full on, like you or me, then I'd be happy if they just eat a lot less meat rather than eating a lot of meat. I am a realist....I am willing to do what people can do instead of hope for perfection.

Kristina

In a message dated 5/17/04 2:47:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 12 Sun, 16 May 2004 17:43:37 +0100 "simonpjones" <simonpjonesRe: Flextarian articleHI Kistinaveganism is more of a joy, an enlightenment to me now, Meat- eating is like some dark twisted night-mare that was instilled in me for a while.It's a bit like smoking to me (but worse)...do you give up totalling of have the odd smoke? Couldn't unbold the letters here.Simon- lv2breathe Cc: Lv2breathe Sunday, May 16, 2004 4:37 PM Flextarian article http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/86/99210.htm?pagenumber=2 I finally read this article. I fe! el like most do here. I am glad that people are eating less meat, that is good for the animals. Instead of insisting on an absolutely no meat diet, which may prove too much for most people, I'd rather have this than an all or nothing approach. But what irked me was the focus on "taste". Flextarians seem to be more focused on their own personal health and the taste of meat rather than the ethics of vegetarianism. Oh well, their loss. And how some want to call themselves veg without really making the full committment. There is a different between people who never eat meat and those that do for convenience...we should not be lumped together because those that abstain all the time are really exercising more restraint and sticking with their principles.. It would be so easy to be flextarian. It's more of a committment to stay veg amid pressure and lack of convenience! I did to Vegetarian Times when it ! was "stridently activist". I loved it then. I don't begrudge a magazine that is all recipes and less value oriented but I don't anymore. I like the new VegNews...that fills the bill now...it is "activist" in nature like Veg Times used to be. Kristina

To send an email to -