IndiaDivine.org

The subtle and not so subtle things we have to put up with!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Changes4love

I didn't comment on this story before but thanks for sharing. It just reminds me of all the subtitles we have to put up with...it's stressful! Especially if you have no one around who "understands" and is on your side.

I had a similiar experience yesterday in art class. We are getting ready for out last day of class. We will be having a potluck. The teacher knows I am veg and asks loud enough to bring the attention on me "So, Kristina, are you going to bring some brown rice, or tofu thingy"? I really didn't want everyone to know about my diet but he let it out. And it wasn't said totally innocently. Then another student said "they are selling tofurky dogs at Trader Joe's now" and I said "Oh, really that sounds great". And my teacher, who is old enough to know better couldn't resist saying "yeah, tastes great until you actually bite into it". Mind you he is in his 50's. I said "Have an open mind! They taste good! You'd be surprised." And then I said the clincher..."they taste just like PIG". He said "that's extreme". Well, I didn't mean to be extreme but it's the truth..it's more than PORK it's PIG...and he was upset I said the truth...that when you eat hot dogs you are eating PIG. He was offended and annoyed by my comment...but I tell you the thing that is really offensive is what is happening to these sensitive animals and how we are so cold to their suffering. THAT is offensive.

Kristina

In a message dated 5/18/04 4:13:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

"changes4love" <changes4love> > > Re: "Veganism got old">Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000>> ,>"fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!"><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:> >>>I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I>went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother>over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the>way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was>also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be>polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, "Oh, we can't eat>there because both my son & I don't eat meat." Well, it was weird>after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My>mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more>vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four>slices of bacon on top. She kept saying "I don't know why, I just>really feel like eating meat." I felt so sad. I had looked forward to>cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we>eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a>hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying>time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and>almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects>kitchy cow things because she says to me, "I love cows. They are>so cute". And I said "Yes, I love them too." Everyone was>concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my>son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but>we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting>enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,>suddenly everyone is concerned." I know why people get weird. I>think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience>sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always>ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I>told her, "Mom, I eat very healthy" I told her some recipes and>she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very>healthy too. Then I told her "It isn't me you need to worry about,>you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and>stroke food." My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if>I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info>from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy>meals and conversations instead about health and animal>rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west>coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other>reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.>No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by>ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life>is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to>tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it>would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave>my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who>choose to look away from the truth. : (>-NMia>

Guest guest

Good story...It's probably better not to hide the fact that you are vegetarian...meat eaters need to be reminded of it when ever they can. I've been called a " tree hugger" ( which I didn't really). I said I'd rather hug a tree than chop[ it down. Another time someone said " Why am Iiving on rabbits food" Someone even said it was something homosexuals would did.

I wonder where these notions come from. is it just from ignorants or does the meat industry have subtle propagada machine at work?

Simon

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 4:51 PM

The subtle and not so subtle things we have to put up with!

Changes4love

I didn't comment on this story before but thanks for sharing. It just reminds me of all the subtitles we have to put up with...it's stressful! Especially if you have no one around who "understands" and is on your side.

I had a similiar experience yesterday in art class. We are getting ready for out last day of class. We will be having a potluck. The teacher knows I am veg and asks loud enough to bring the attention on me "So, Kristina, are you going to bring some brown rice, or tofu thingy"? I really didn't want everyone to know about my diet but he let it out. And it wasn't said totally innocently. Then another student said "they are selling tofurky dogs at Trader Joe's now" and I said "Oh, really that sounds great". And my teacher, who is old enough to know better couldn't resist saying "yeah, tastes great until you actually bite into it". Mind you he is in his 50's. I said "Have an open mind! They taste good! You'd be surprised." And then I said the clincher..."they taste just like PIG". He said "that's extreme". Well, I didn't mean to be extreme but it's the truth..it's more than PORK it! 's PIG...and he was upset I said the truth...that when you eat hot dogs you are eating PIG. He was offended and annoyed by my comment...but I tell you the thing that is really offensive is what is happening to these sensitive animals and how we are so cold to their suffering. THAT is offensive.

Kristina

"changes4love" <changes4love> > > Re: "Veganism got old">Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000>> ,>"fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!"><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:> >>>I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I>went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother>over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the>way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was>also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be>polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, "Oh, we can't eat>there because both my son & I don't eat meat." Well, ! it was weird>after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My>mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more>vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four>slices of bacon on top. She kept saying "I don't know why, I just>really feel like eating meat." I felt so sad. I had looked forward to>cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we>eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a>hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying>time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and>almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects>kitchy cow things because she says to me, "I love cows. They are>so cute". And I said "Yes, I love them too." Everyone was>concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my>son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but! >we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting>enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,>suddenly everyone is concerned." I know why people get weird. I>think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience>sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always>ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I>told her, "Mom, I eat very healthy" I told her some recipes and>she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very>healthy too. Then I told her "It isn't me you need to worry about,>you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and>stroke food." My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if>I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info>from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy>meals and conversations instead about health and anima! l>rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west>coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other>reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.>No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by>ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life>is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to>tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it>would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave>my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who>choose to look away from the truth. : (>-NMia>

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Kristina, You said a mouthful there! Pointing out that they tasted like PIG is the exact reason why I cannot eat these analogues.

Too many children don`t realise where their food comes from these days. A lot of them are genuinely shocked when they encounter a lamb for the first time, and someone makes the obvious joke about mint sauce! They are so used to seeing pre-packaged or ready cooked body parts that the connection between what`s on the plate , and what was once a breathing , living creature just doesn`t click. A good reason I believe, no matter how painfull the experiance may be to yourself, to take more children out to working farms. To let them see the exploitation for themselves.

The Valley Vegan.....lv2breathe wrote:

Changes4love

I had a similiar experience yesterday in art class. We are getting ready for out last day of class. We will be having a potluck. The teacher knows I am veg and asks loud enough to bring the attention on me "So, Kristina, are you going to bring some brown rice, or tofu thingy"? I really didn't want everyone to know about my diet but he let it out. And it wasn't said totally innocently. Then another student said "they are selling tofurky dogs at Trader Joe's now" and I said "Oh, really that sounds great". And my teacher, who is old enough to know better couldn't resist saying "yeah, tastes great until you actually bite into it". Mind you he is in his 50's. I said "Have an open mind! They taste good! You'd be surprised." And then I said the clincher..."they taste just like PIG". He said "that's extreme". Well, I didn't mean to be extreme but it's the truth..it's more than PORK it's

PIG...and he was upset I said the truth...that when you eat hot dogs you are eating PIG. He was offended and annoyed by my comment...but I tell you the thing that is really offensive is what is happening to these sensitive animals and how we are so cold to their suffering. THAT is offensive.

Kristina

"changes4love" <changes4love> > > Re: "Veganism got old">Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000>> ,>"fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!"><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:> >>>I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I>went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother>over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the>way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was>also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be>polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, "Oh, we can't eat>there because both my son & I don't eat meat." Well, it was

weird>after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My>mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more>vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four>slices of bacon on top. She kept saying "I don't know why, I just>really feel like eating meat." I felt so sad. I had looked forward to>cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we>eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a>hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying>time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and>almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects>kitchy cow things because she says to me, "I love cows. They are>so cute". And I said "Yes, I love them too." Everyone was>concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my>son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but>we

were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting>enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,>suddenly everyone is concerned." I know why people get weird. I>think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience>sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always>ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I>told her, "Mom, I eat very healthy" I told her some recipes and>she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very>healthy too. Then I told her "It isn't me you need to worry about,>you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and>stroke food." My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if>I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info>from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy>meals and conversations instead about health and animal>rights.

The whole experience broought me back to the west>coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other>reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.>No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by>ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life>is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to>tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it>would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave>my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who>choose to look away from the truth. : (>-NMia>

To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Guest guest

Sunday night I went to my boyfriend's mothers house. She has a farm. We were petting the sheep when she was telling us a story about how some people were saying something about eating them. She responded with, "How could you eat them? They are our pets, they have names." She said that she could never imagine killing them. The thing is...she eats meat, she just won't eat her own animals. I didn't want to get into a big thing about it because it was my first time meeting her and my boyfriend and her just started to talk again, so I refrained from saying much.

People are just so separated.

-Samanthapeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Hi Kristina, You said a mouthful there! Pointing out that they tasted like PIG is the exact reason why I cannot eat these analogues.

Too many children don`t realise where their food comes from these days. A lot of them are genuinely shocked when they encounter a lamb for the first time, and someone makes the obvious joke about mint sauce! They are so used to seeing pre-packaged or ready cooked body parts that the connection between what`s on the plate , and what was once a breathing , living creature just doesn`t click. A good reason I believe, no matter how painfull the experiance may be to yourself, to take more children out to working farms. To let them see the exploitation for themselves.

Changes4love

I had a similiar experience yesterday in art class. We are getting ready for out last day of class. We will be having a potluck. The teacher knows I am veg and asks loud enough to bring the attention on me "So, Kristina, are you going to bring some brown rice, or tofu thingy"? I really didn't want everyone to know about my diet but he let it out. And it wasn't said totally innocently. Then another student said "they are selling tofurky dogs at Trader Joe's now" and I said "Oh, really that sounds great". And my teacher, who is old enough to know better couldn't resist saying "yeah, tastes great until you actually bite into it". Mind you he is in his 50's. I said "Have an open mind! They taste good! You'd be surprised." And then I said the clincher..."they taste just like PIG". He said "that's extreme". Well, I didn't mean to be extreme but it's the truth..it's more than PORK it's

PIG...and he was upset I said the truth...that when you eat hot dogs you are eating PIG. He was offended and annoyed by my comment...but I tell you the thing that is really offensive is what is happening to these sensitive animals and how we are so cold to their suffering. THAT is offensive.

Kristina

"changes4love" <changes4love> > > Re: "Veganism got old">Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000>> ,>"fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da!"><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:> >>>I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I>went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother>over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the>way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was>also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be>polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, "Oh, we can't eat>there because both my son & I don't eat meat." Well, it was

weird>after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My>mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more>vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four>slices of bacon on top. She kept saying "I don't know why, I just>really feel like eating meat." I felt so sad. I had looked forward to>cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we>eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a>hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying>time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and>almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects>kitchy cow things because she says to me, "I love cows. They are>so cute". And I said "Yes, I love them too." Everyone was>concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my>son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but>we

were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting>enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,>suddenly everyone is concerned." I know why people get weird. I>think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience>sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always>ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I>told her, "Mom, I eat very healthy" I told her some recipes and>she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very>healthy too. Then I told her "It isn't me you need to worry about,>you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and>stroke food." My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if>I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info>from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy>meals and conversations instead about health and animal>rights.

The whole experience broought me back to the west>coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other>reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.>No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by>ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life>is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to>tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it>would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave>my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who>choose to look away from the truth. : (>-NMia>

To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now To send an email to -

SBC - Internet access at a great low price.

Guest guest

That's right, Samantha, they really are.

It continues to amaze me that most people would not eat the animal when you ask them if they would slaughter it for the food. But they will let someone else do the butchering for them.

We need to make a change in this country.Samantha Demers <SamADemers wrote:

Sunday night I went to my boyfriend's mothers house. She has a farm. We were petting the sheep when she was telling us a story about how some people were saying something about eating them. She responded with, "How could you eat them? They are our pets, they have names." She said that she could never imagine killing them. The thing is...she eats meat, she just won't eat her own animals. I didn't want to get into a big thing about it because it was my first time meeting her and my boyfriend and her just started to talk again, so I refrained from saying much.

People are just so separated.

-Samanthapeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Changes4love

Kristina

To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now To send an email to -

SBC - Internet access at a great low price. To send an email to -

Jack Truman Jack Truman, Vegan for Congress

U.S. Congressional Candidate

Southwest Missouri 7th District

(417) 398-2800

SBC - Internet access at a great low price.

Guest guest

HI Simon

They are just ignorant people, who have no sympathy or empathy with anything else. They are frightened to think outside their own little box, so they are rude to anyone who is more thoughtful than they are.

Jo

Good story...It's probably better not to hide the fact that you are vegetarian...meat eaters need to be reminded of it when ever they can. I've been called a " tree hugger" ( which I didn't really). I said I'd rather hug a tree than chop[ it down. Another time someone said " Why am Iiving on rabbits food" Someone even said it was something homosexuals would did.

I wonder where these notions come from. is it just from ignorants or does the meat industry have subtle propagada machine at work?

Simon

Guest guest

-

Heartwork

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:09 PM

Re: The subtle and not so subtle things we have to put up with!

HI Jo

Thats true , you would think anyone who tried to be thoughtful on the subject of vegan/vegetarianism, would make the right choice....if they chose meat - eating, they obviously wouldn't have given the subject much thought...as only the insane would choose a diet of animal flesh.

( earth destoying, war mongering,savaging #*#xX*@Q & etc) those poor pitiful souls.

Maybe more people need to look in the eyes of the animals they eat or at least the relatives of the animals they eat.. as ( insight in mind ) would be better than ( out of sight out of mind).

Simon

They are just ignorant people, who have no sympathy or empathy with anything else. They are frightened to think outside their own little box, so they are rude to anyone who is more thoughtful than they are.

Jo

Guest guest

Hi Peter / Kristina

> Hi Kristina, You said a mouthful there! Pointing out that they tasted like PIG is the exact reason why I cannot eat these analogues.

Y'know, that's exactly why I love the analogues... I always used to love the *taste* of pig, cow, sheep, chicken, etc. It was the ethics that stopped me eating them, not the taste, so I'm really pleased that I can get the same (or similar) taste from something that isn't doing harm. Not saying I'd go back to eating meat if they weren't available, because I wouldn't... but it don't half make life easier! :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Simon

> Good story...It's probably better not to hide the fact that you are vegetarian...meat eaters need to be reminded of it when ever they can. I've been called a " tree

> hugger" ( which I didn't really). I said I'd rather hug a tree than chop[ it down. Another time someone said " Why am Iiving on rabbits food" Someone even said it was

> something homosexuals would did.

> I wonder where these notions come from. is it just from ignorants or does the meat industry have subtle propagada machine at work?

Must be ignorance, because most of my gay & lesbian friends are meat eaters! Although I will happily admit to being a tree hugger :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

-

Peter

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 4:12 PM

Must be ignorance, because most of my gay & lesbian friends are meat eaters! Although I will happily admit to being a tree hugger :-)

i took being called a "tree hugger" more as a complement than a insult.

Simon

To send an email to -

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/19/2004 4:41:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, annacblaine writes:

Some people just have trouble with the truth. And these are usually the ones that get so defensive about their meat-eating.I'm sorry this happened to you.Love,Anna

People feel threatened. I often find that when I tell someone I am vegan they automatically attack me becuase they think I am going to attack them. I am not that type of person though. I have deicided that i will do my best to educate people (if wanted, if not then i just try to bit my tongue)the best i can and hope that they can see through my eyes and help to change. its sad that people just cant be accepting of other people.

heart,jen.

Guest guest

Once I was under attack in a pagan e-list for being vegan. I got really

upset and complained about in another list by saying something about

stealing mother's milk. Somebody responded that if that's the kind of

attitude I have than it's no wonder people don't like me. I unsubbed from

both lists.

Some people just have trouble with the truth. And these are usually the

ones that get so defensive about their meat-eating.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Love,

Anna

>lv2breathe

>

>

>CC: Lv2breathe

> The subtle and not so subtle things we have to put up

>with!

>Tue, 18 May 2004 11:51:42 EDT

>

>Changes4love

>

>I didn't comment on this story before but thanks for sharing. It just

>reminds me of all the subtitles we have to put up with...it's stressful!

>Especially

>if you have no one around who " understands " and is on your side.

>

>I had a similiar experience yesterday in art class. We are getting ready

>for

>out last day of class. We will be having a potluck. The teacher knows I

>am

>veg and asks loud enough to bring the attention on me " So, Kristina, are

>you

>going to bring some brown rice, or tofu thingy " ? I really didn't want

>everyone

>to know about my diet but he let it out. And it wasn't said totally

>innocently. Then another student said " they are selling tofurky dogs at

>Trader Joe's

>now " and I said " Oh, really that sounds great " . And my teacher, who is old

>enough to know better couldn't resist saying " yeah, tastes great until you

>actually bite into it " . Mind you he is in his 50's. I said " Have an open

>mind!

>They taste good! You'd be surprised. " And then I said the

>clincher... " they

>taste just like PIG " . He said " that's extreme " . Well, I didn't mean to be

>extreme but it's the truth..it's more than PORK it's PIG...and he was upset

>I said

>the truth...that when you eat hot dogs you are eating PIG. He was offended

>and annoyed by my comment...but I tell you the thing that is really

>offensive

>is what is happening to these sensitive animals and how we are so cold to

>their

>suffering. THAT is offensive.

>

>Kristina

>

>

>

>In a message dated 5/18/04 4:13:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

> writes:

> " changes4love " <changes4love

> >

> >

> > Re: " Veganism got old "

> >Fri, 14 May 2004 04:36:37 -0000

> >

> > ,

> > " fartybriivismeisteranushead ta-da! "

> ><phytoscarfingsimianpod@h...> wrote:

> > >

> >

> >I can relate to a lot of what was said in this thread. Recently I

> >went to visit family on the east coast. When I had told my mother

> >over the phone that I was vegan, she was supportive, but on the

> >way from the airport , we picked up my mother's friend who was

> >also visiting. She wanted to go eat at KFC! I was trying to be

> >polite by holding my tongue and I merely said, " Oh, we can't eat

> >there because both my son & I don't eat meat. " Well, it was weird

> >after that. We went to a diner instead and we ate salad. My

> >mother who normally chooses more ethnic foods that have more

> >vegetarian options, ordered liver & onions and there were four

> >slices of bacon on top. She kept saying " I don't know why, I just

> >really feel like eating meat. " I felt so sad. I had looked forward to

> >cooking wonderful meals for my mother to show her foods we

> >eat that I know she would enjoy, however, her friend is a

> >hardcore meat eater and the whole week was a stressful, trying

> >time for me. Of course, my son & I ate veggies and tofu and

> >almond milk and granola quite happily. And this woman collects

> >kitchy cow things because she says to me, " I love cows. They are

> >so cute " . And I said " Yes, I love them too. " Everyone was

> >concerned about whether or not we were eating healthy. I told my

> >son, when we had no money and couldn't afford to eat much but

> >we were still meat eaters, no one asked us if we were getting

> >enough nutrition. However, now that we are eating helthy,

> >suddenly everyone is concerned. " I know why people get weird. I

> >think they know the truth, but they turn a blind eye for convience

> >sake and because of peer pressure. The majority is not always

> >ethical. On the way back to the airport, I had my mother alone. I

> >told her, " Mom, I eat very healthy " I told her some recipes and

> >she told me she likes that and told me she normally eats very

> >healthy too. Then I told her " It isn't me you need to worry about,

> >you should worry about your friend. She eats the heart attack and

> >stroke food. " My mother agreed. My trip would've been beautiful if

> >I could've been with my mother alone. I still plan to send her info

> >from Vegan outreach, but I wish I could've done it through happy

> >meals and conversations instead about health and animal

> >rights. The whole experience broought me back to the west

> >coast feeling very sad and disappointed. There can be no other

> >reason people get so weird when it comes to a meatless diet.

> >No other reason than ignorance and fear. Who wants to live by

> >ignorance and fear? That is only a way to death. The way to life

> >is through knowledge and imagination. Anyway, I just needed to

> >tell my story to others who would understand...I did not think it

> >would be so challenging this time around, but I see when I leave

> >my little family of vegans than I enter a world of those who

> >choose to look away from the truth. : (

> >-NMia

> >

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/20/2004 4:38:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, simonpjones writes:

As long as we're are reminding them of the facts..then it should sink iteventually.

We can all hope.

heart,jen.

Guest guest

-

" Anna Blaine " <annacblaine

Thursday, May 20, 2004 12:40 AM

RE: The subtle and not so subtle things we have to put

up with!

> Once I was under attack in a pagan e-list for being vegan. I got really

> upset and complained about in another list by saying something about

> stealing mother's milk. >

Yes and by forced pregancies.

I wonder if women were forcely impreganted...and their milk taken for cows

to drink (not that cows would be dafted enough to drink it) how would women

like it?

As long as we're are reminding them of the facts..then it should sink it

eventually.

Look how many soya milks are available now....thats soying something.

Simon

Guest guest

-

xjenisveganx

Thursday, May 20, 2004 3:10 PM

In a message dated 5/20/2004 4:38:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, simonpjones writes:

As long as we're are reminding them of the facts..then it should sink iteventually.

We can all hope.>

The couple that run the local health-shop informed me today that they have gone vegan from vegetarian.

Veganism could be the answer to all our prayers.

Simon

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/20/04 6:59:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Haha

Guest guest

That was a geniune spelling mistake I don't sound like that!

No wonder you laughed lol.

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Friday, May 21, 2004 3:31 PM

Re: the Subtle and not so subtle things we have to put up with!

In a message dated 5/20/04 6:59:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Haha

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Unfortunately the convincing analogues usually kick my ethics chip into overload, causung a short circuit in my guts! Still each to his/ her own...Too many nice vegies/pulses/fruit and nuts out there for me to eat before resorting to that.

Babbling on and on as usual...

The Valley Vegan.....Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter / Kristina

> Hi Kristina, You said a mouthful there! Pointing out that they tasted like PIG is the exact reason why I cannot eat these analogues.

Y'know, that's exactly why I love the analogues... I always used to love the *taste* of pig, cow, sheep, chicken, etc. It was the ethics that stopped me eating them, not the taste, so I'm really pleased that I can get the same (or similar) taste from something that isn't doing harm. Not saying I'd go back to eating meat if they weren't available, because I wouldn't... but it don't half make life easier! :-)

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Guest guest

I think some of the garbage spouted by these people comes from them just not being bothered that much with the topic to think about it.

Or we could start another conspiracy theory!

Just because I`m paranoid, doesn`t mean that they are not out to get me.....

P.S. I went to see a Naturapath for an Iridology session, and she seemed very glad that I was a vegan. One down 1.23 billion left to go.....

Hi Simon

> Good story...It's probably better not to hide the fact that you are vegetarian...meat eaters need to be reminded of it when ever they can. I've been called a " tree

> hugger" ( which I didn't really). I said I'd rather hug a tree than chop[ it down. Another time someone said " Why am Iiving on rabbits food" Someone even said it was

> I wonder where these notions come from. is it just from ignorants or does the meat industry have subtle propagada machine at work?

BB

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Most of the naturopaths/alternative medicine people I know/have seen are well aware of the health benefits of being vegan - which is pleasant.

Jo

P.S. I went to see a Naturapath for an Iridology session, and she seemed very glad that I was a vegan. One down 1.23 billion left to go.....

Guest guest

ask any carny, meat raised on a factory farm tastes much different then either an organic free range critter er a wild caught creature...

especially here in the colonies, enslaved animals are fed a diet of anti-biotics, additives, pesticides, ground up other animal parts, waste products and assorted flotsam and jetsam...

and since penned animals get little er no exercise, it affects the way the muscles form, and then how they taste...

but then again, death is death ain't it?? i'm not sure that the deer would be any happier knowin she was mercifully shot by Rambozo with his high powered rifle as he sat in a tree 3 miles away as opposed to bossy who was kept in a glorified crate and had a bolt shot thru her head as she moved down the assembly line...

I have heard that meat has flavourings added to it at some staged in the processing, from live animal to the shop...don't know how or when. But supposedly meat from unfarmed/wild animals would taste a lot different. Anybody know anything about that?

Guest guest

Murdered - animal- carcass - eaters can't really talk about veganism if they've havn't tried it... most vegans can talk about animal eating...Which diet would the vegan choose..it speaks for itself.

Glad to see the day when you can count the number of animal flesh eaters on the hand of a snake.

cheers

Simon

-

peter hurd

Saturday, May 22, 2004 2:30 PM

I think some of the garbage spouted by these people comes from them just not being bothered that much with the topic to think about it.

Or we could start another conspiracy theory!

Hi Simon

BB

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Unfortunately the convincing analogues usually kick my ethics chip into overload, causung a short circuit in my guts! Still each to his/ her own...Too many nice

> vegies/pulses/fruit and nuts out there for me to eat before resorting to that.

I'd probably have the same problem if the analogues looked like animals... i.e. if they came actually looking like a recently killed chicken, or something. But since they look about as much like animals as the meat equivalents do, then I don't see an issue. After all, if something tastes good, surely the only reason not to eat it is because it is ethically wrong, or because it is unhealthy... so what's wrong with having something on your plate that hasn't involved the death / harm to any animals just because it may taste a bit like them. After all, I don't hear any meat eaters complaining about pork because it (allegedly) tastes like human flesh!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I have heard that meat has flavourings added to it at some staged in the processing, from live animal to the shop...don't know how or when. But supposedly meat from unfarmed/wild animals would taste a lot different. Anybody know anything about that?

Simon

-

Peter

Saturday, May 22, 2004 7:04 PM

Hi Peter

> Unfortunately the convincing analogues usually kick my ethics chip into overload, causung a short circuit in my guts! Still each to his/ her own...Too many nice

> vegies/pulses/fruit and nuts out there for me to eat before resorting to that.

I'd probably have the same problem if the analogues looked like animals... i.e. if they came actually looking like a recently killed chicken, or something. But since they look about as much like animals as the meat equivalents do, then I don't see an issue. After all, if something tastes good, surely the only reason not to eat it is because it is ethically wrong, or because it is unhealthy... so what's wrong with having something on your plate that hasn't involved the death / harm to any animals just because it may taste a bit like them. After all, I don't hear any meat eaters complaining about pork because it (allegedly) tastes like human flesh!

BB