IndiaDivine.org

Re:The subtle and not so subtle things we must put up with

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/19/04 4:07:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Hi Kristina, You said a mouthful there! Pointing out that they tasted like PIG is the exact reason why I cannot eat these analogues.

You know, these veg hotdogs actually taste a lot cleaner than regular hotdogs (at least what I remember the taste of meat)...so when I said this I didn't mean that exactly. Although I totally understand what you are saying. I hear Boca Burgers DO actually taste and have the texture just like meat.

When I said it it came so fast...it was very spontaneous. I didn't want to say "like regular meat hotdogs"...perhaps it was too much of a mouthful so I said "pig" to be clear.

What I didn't add to my story was what I percieved to be the totally sophmoric attitude of my teacher and a few in the class. My teacher is middle aged for Christ sake! And these people are supposed to be artists! Of course it's an illustration class...but still you'd think they'd be more open. You would think he could be more mature about different eating styles. And the guy who said "we are selling them at Trader Joes" He said like "ha ha snort snort...isn't that gross...I would never touch the things". Why are people so grossed out by meat analogues but not grossed out by dead animals?

I think we know why people say these rude comments. I would also add the reason they do so is because when you are confronted with someone with higher ideals the natural impulse for many is to bring them down, ridicule them then to actually rise to their standards. Come to think of it we see it all the time.

I am going to take a deep breath and take cooked veggie hotdogs cut into small bites, with toothpicks and see how it goes. I'll see if I get sophomoric comments (probably will). There isn't anything for me to eat anyways...they will bring a pizza...no doubt having lots of cheese and I don't do well with wheat anyways. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kristina

Guest guest

Kristina,

You could always make vegan pitza or pasties or sumfink and try and turn a few heads. I was invited to a barbeque once ( or should I say I was dragged along by my other half ( painful!), and I took some vegetable kebabs that I had marinated and some corn on the cobs, and cooked these on a seperate grill, and all the carnivores kept coming up to me for more! I think it came out as a draw on the day, but dont be afraid to take them on at their own game ( unless they are playing naked Twister!)

Oh God , my mind is slipping again, havent had chocolate for 24 hours.....

The Valley Vegan....lv2breathe wrote:

Hi Kristina, You said a mouthful there! Pointing out that they tasted like PIG is the exact reason why I cannot eat these analogues.

You know, these veg hotdogs actually taste a lot cleaner than regular hotdogs (at least what I remember the taste of meat)...so when I said this I didn't mean that exactly. Although I totally understand what you are saying. I hear Boca Burgers DO actually taste and have the texture just like meat.

When I said it it came so fast...it was very spontaneous. I didn't want to say "like regular meat hotdogs"...perhaps it was too much of a mouthful so I said "pig" to be clear.

What I didn't add to my story was what I percieved to be the totally sophmoric attitude of my teacher and a few in the class. My teacher is middle aged for Christ sake! And these people are supposed to be artists! Of course it's an illustration class...but still you'd think they'd be more open. You would think he could be more mature about different eating styles. And the guy who said "we are selling them at Trader Joes" He said like "ha ha snort snort...isn't that gross...I would never touch the things". Why are people so grossed out by meat analogues but not grossed out by dead animals?

I think we know why people say these rude comments. I would also add the reason they do so is because when you are confronted with someone with higher ideals the natural impulse for many is to bring them down, ridicule them then to actually rise to their standards. Come to think of it we see it all the time.

I am going to take a deep breath and take cooked veggie hotdogs cut into small bites, with toothpicks and see how it goes. I'll see if I get sophomoric comments (probably will). There isn't anything for me to eat anyways...they will bring a pizza...no doubt having lots of cheese and I don't do well with wheat anyways. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kristina

To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Guest guest

Hi Peter, Krisitina and other vegans,

I had a similar experience. My wife and I went to her friend's house for bbq. We were given a separate grill. We had all veggies you can think of on the grill. Also my wife had prepared some Indian, spicy mathias(very thin chapati like lentil dish). I felt bad for Gracie(my wife's friend), because everybody wanted to eat more and more mathias and not her food. They also ate our bbq. Same thing happened at a neighbor's house party. He still requests papadum and mathias from us.

I am fortunate my wife is a vegetarian also. We both never had any meat any our lives.

Take care.

Atulpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Kristina,

You could always make vegan pitza or pasties or sumfink and try and turn a few heads. I was invited to a barbeque once ( or should I say I was dragged along by my other half ( painful!), and I took some vegetable kebabs that I had marinated and some corn on the cobs, and cooked these on a seperate grill, and all the carnivores kept coming up to me for more! I think it came out as a draw on the day, but dont be afraid to take them on at their own game ( unless they are playing naked Twister!)

Kristina

To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now To send an email to -

Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70/year

Guest guest

Hi Atul

Could you let us have the recipe for mathias please.

Jo

Hi Peter, Krisitina and other vegans,

I had a similar experience. My wife and I went to her friend's house for bbq. We were given a separate grill. We had all veggies you can think of on the grill. Also my wife had prepared some Indian, spicy mathias(very thin chapati like lentil dish). I felt bad for Gracie(my wife's friend), because everybody wanted to eat more and more mathias and not her food. They also ate our bbq. Same thing happened at a neighbor's house party. He still requests papadum and mathias from us.

I am fortunate my wife is a vegetarian also. We both never had any meat any our lives.

Take care.

Atulpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Kristina,

Kristina

To send an email to -

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now To send an email to -

Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70/year To send an email to -