IndiaDivine.org

Re:Round up your friends to buy BK Burgers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was a substitute teacher for 5 years. In those 5 years I came across many children in many different communities. Most of them poor and uneducated. Sometimes I would bring up nutrition issues and just teach them the word vegetarianism. I would not preach because I didn't think that was appropriate to use my position in such a way...but I did want to expose them to the concept.

Guess what? Not one knew what it meant. Most thought it was an "animal doctor". Even worse, many of the kids, who had thoughtless parents, rarely ate a vegetable (or knew what one was) and many ate most of their meals at fast food places. Unfortunates indeed.

At least with this small token, and the fact that some of the fast food places are offering salads now...it's a little offering to the many, many children who grow up in homes that have no concept of healthy eating and/or who are not exposed to plant based foods. At least they will see from the experience, that yes, burgers do not have to have beef and yes, maybe a veggie burger can fill you up, and yes maybe salads are good. For many fast food is the only food...unbelievable as it is...but LA and other metropolisis have many communities like this. This maybe their only chance.

Kristina

In a message dated 6/1/04 3:37:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 4 Mon, 31 May 2004 16:26:18 +0100 <simonpjonesRe: Re: supporting BK in their BK Veggie burgersI agree it's better then havn't no veggie burger on the menu at these fast food places.In many years there could be a turn around in there practices.SimonI know I know. And I know I am in the minority here in my viewpoint. But I think it's sad...we are going to waste a huge opportunity to make vegan food more "mainstream" because of our attitude. If the veggie burgers fail, don't think the big corps will put the energy to put it out there again...they won't of course, because they will just assume that no one wants it. And would that be good for our society as a whole? Or the people who have little choices in their own neighborhood? Or the people who have had the unfortunate situation as to never being exposed to veggie foods? (there are lots of them) We will have no one but ourselves to blame for this if it happens. No one else.I don't think supporting one item on their menu is going to make any difference as to how "rapicious" they are on iota...but if sales are decent on this one veggie tiem, it may even encourage them to create more vegan and healthy foods which, in turn, will make them less evil in the first place.What a wasted opportunity.

Guest guest

ah

but why do these kids have such poor diets??

cuz they are bombarded with ads fer this fast food place, er this soda etc and so forth...

by offerin us a token bit we can eat, and is marginally better then their other fare, all they are doin is providin a nice little green wash..

"seeeee, we care, we have a veggie burger, it may be overprocessed cardboard, but seeee, we are ooooohhhh sooo goood....would you like a side of endangered whale blubber with that?"

i know about kids and poverty..,....

i live in da 'hood....

and its wonderful how mcdonalds and their ilk all seem to pop up like mushrooms around skools...

i dunno, to me, addin a "healthy" aternative at these places misses the whole point...its the flip side of a the same coin, i don't want to use the same coin....

if you have cancer, is it worth it to continue smoking a pack an hour, because, yer on chemo???

imo, fast food is part of the problem....

if yer worried about children livin in poverty havin poor nutrional choices laid out before em, i'm not sure that encouragin them to eat at these places is the right approach

i see yer point, but, to me, it just clouds the issues....

*shrug*

like i said..its just me....

there are tons of vegans wot there whose soul dietary choice is chips (i mean crisps) and guacamole'...

everyone is different,,,,,

fraggle

I was a substitute teacher for 5 years. In those 5 years I came across many children in many different communities. Most of them poor and uneducated. Sometimes I would bring up nutrition issues and just teach them the word vegetarianism. I would not preach because I didn't think that was appropriate to use my position in such a way...but I did want to expose them to the concept.

Guess what? Not one knew what it meant. Most thought it was an "animal doctor". Even worse, many of the kids, who had thoughtless parents, rarely ate a vegetable (or knew what one was) and many ate most of their meals at fast food places. Unfortunates indeed.

At least with this small token, and the fact that some of the fast food places are offering salads now...it's a little offering to the many, many children who grow up in homes that have no concept of healthy eating and/or who are not exposed to plant based foods. At least they will see from the experience, that yes, burgers do not have to have beef and yes, maybe a veggie burger can fill you up, and yes maybe salads are good. For many fast food is the only food...unbelievable as it is...but LA and other metropolisis have many communities like this. This maybe their only chance.

Guest guest

In a message dated 6/1/2004 8:37:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

ahbut why do these kids have such poor diets??cuz they are bombarded with ads fer this fast food place, er this soda etc and so forth...by offerin us a token bit we can eat, and is marginally better then their other fare, all they are doin is providin a nice little green wash.."seeeee, we care, we have a veggie burger, it may be overprocessed cardboard, but seeee, we are ooooohhhh sooo goood....would you like a side of endangered whale blubber with that?"i know about kids and poverty..,....i live in da 'hood....and its wonderful how mcdonalds and their ilk all seem to pop up like mushrooms around skools...i dunno, to me, addin a "healthy" aternative at these places misses the whole point...its the flip side of a the same coin, i don't want to use the same coin....if you have cancer, is it worth it to continue smoking a pack an hour, because, yer on chemo???imo, fast food is part of the problem....if yer worried about children livin in poverty havin poor nutrional choices laid out before em, i'm not sure that encouragin them to eat at these places is the right approachi see yer point, but, to me, it just clouds the issues....*shrug*like i said..its just me....there are tons of vegans wot there whose soul dietary choice is chips (i mean crisps) and guacamole'...everyone is different,,,,,fraggle

sometimes it is really hard for me to understand what you are saying....

heart,jen.

Guest guest

In a message dated 6/1/04 9:24:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, xjenisveganx writes:

sometimes it is really hard for me to understand what you are saying....

as i writing in cyrillic again?

dang....

:)