IndiaDivine.org

Hey Green Fingered Fraggle

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hey Fraggle,

After reading one of your replies regarding ---- even if you only have a pot , grow something, I travelled 10 miles to my garden centre bought some runner bean plants ( and a large bag of peatless compost ) to grow in a large pot.

Guess what.......

The slugs eat them all.

My daughter brought a sunflower from school for me to plant in the garden, and you guessed it! they struck again!

This is despite me going on midnight raids and relocating them.

Do you have any ideas?

I now have a large pot awaiting inspiration. I will probably grow a blackcurrant bush in it when the time to plant is right.

Still jealous of your garden...

The Valley Vegan.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040618/news_1b18vegan.html

Guest guest

slug and snail problems eh..

well..

there are a myriad of natural ways to get rid of em..alas, most kill em

try placing boards er somesuch near yer garden/plants..lay em down flat

in the moring, lift em up and remove any lil fellers underneath and

transport em elsewhere...i use to move snails to an empty lot down the

block..alas, now someone built on it....

try spreading dryer lint(really) around the base of yer

plants...seriously..they don't like it(the slugs) in general,

they sell copper sheets fer gardens..they can be expensive..but you

put em around yer garden er select plants..the copper produces a mild

electrical charge when the slug/snail attempts to cross, and he moves

elsewhere....

more drastic measures..get rid of their hiding places..snails like

dark mosit places..they love overgrown areas..ivy, groundcovers,

etc..get rid of em

me..i can't..i luv the wild look

me..i share....unless they get out of paw..then i have stern words with em

:)

cheers

fraggle

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Hey Fraggle,

> After reading one of your replies regarding ---- even if you only

have a pot , grow something, I travelled 10 miles to my garden centre

bought some runner bean plants ( and a large bag of peatless compost )

to grow in a large pot.

> Guess what.......

> The slugs eat them all.

> My daughter brought a sunflower from school for me to plant in the

garden, and you guessed it! they struck again!

> This is despite me going on midnight raids and relocating them.

> Do you have any ideas?

> I now have a large pot awaiting inspiration. I will probably grow a

blackcurrant bush in it when the time to plant is right.

> Still jealous of your garden...

> The Valley Vegan.

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx@c...> wrote:

> http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040618/news_1b18vegan.html

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I have the same trouble with slugs. I had a couple of bean plants in a pot indoors. I kept them indoors til they were about three feet high, and then put the pot outside. Next morning - bare stems! Every time a new leaf grew the slugs eat it. We are surrounded by fields, woods and water, so we have more slugs than we need. I try to encourage frogs and hedgehogs as they eat slugs. I have seen copper tape which you can put round tubs which is supposed to keep slugs away - I shall try that next year.

Jo

Hey Fraggle,

After reading one of your replies regarding ---- even if you only have a pot , grow something, I travelled 10 miles to my garden centre bought some runner bean plants ( and a large bag of peatless compost ) to grow in a large pot.

Guess what.......

The slugs eat them all.

My daughter brought a sunflower from school for me to plant in the garden, and you guessed it! they struck again!

Do you have any ideas?

I now have a large pot awaiting inspiration. I will probably grow a blackcurrant bush in it when the time to plant is right.

The Valley Vegan.

Guest guest

I have read that pine essential oil can help deter slugs (

not had the need to try the stuff myself ) one way suggested

being to mix it with water and spray the vunerble plant.Oil

available from health shops.

all the best

Simon

I have the same trouble with slugs. I had a couple of bean

plants in a pot indoors. I kept them indoors til they were

about three feet high, and then put the pot outside. Next

morning - bare stems! Every time a new leaf grew the slugs

eat it. We are surrounded by fields, woods and water, so we

have more slugs than we need. I try to encourage frogs and

hedgehogs as they eat slugs. I have seen copper tape which

you can put round tubs which is supposed to keep slugs away -

I shall try that next year.

Guest guest

Thanks for that , as a lot of slug species live in the soil, I dont think it possible to do away with their hiding places without an earth mover, sort of defeats the purpose!

Any suggestions for the big pot? ( big planter not big recreational plant),

I heard that slugs can travel up to a mile back from whence they came when re-located, slimy little beggars. I did try sharp sand around the plants, but like a lot of things suggested once it rained the slugs ignored my pityful attempts and chortled their way to a chompin`.

What you picking at the moment?

The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

slug and snail problems eh..well..there are a myriad of natural ways to get rid of em..alas, most kill emtry placing boards er somesuch near yer garden/plants..lay em down flatin the moring, lift em up and remove any lil fellers underneath andtransport em elsewhere...i use to move snails to an empty lot down theblock..alas, now someone built on it....try spreading dryer lint(really) around the base of yerplants...seriously..they don't like it(the slugs) in general,they sell copper sheets fer gardens..they can be expensive..but youput em around yer garden er select plants..the copper produces a mildelectrical charge when the slug/snail attempts to cross, and he moveselsewhere....more drastic measures..get rid of their hiding places..snails likedark mosit places..they love overgrown areas..ivy,

groundcovers,etc..get rid of emme..i can't..i luv the wild lookme..i share....unless they get out of paw..then i have stern words with em:)cheersfraggle , peter hurd wrote:> Hey Fraggle,> After reading one of your replies regarding ---- even if you onlyhave a pot , grow something, I travelled 10 miles to my garden centrebought some runner bean plants ( and a large bag of peatless compost )to grow in a large pot. > Guess what.......> The slugs eat them all.> My daughter brought a sunflower from school for me to plant in thegarden, and you guessed it! they struck again!> This is despite me going on midnight raids and relocating them.> Do you have any ideas?> I now have a large pot awaiting inspiration. I will probably grow ablackcurrant bush in it when the time to plant is right.> Still jealous of your

garden...> The Valley Vegan.> > fraggle wrote:> http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040618/news_1b18vegan.html> > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Jo

Thanks for the reply, Unfotunately I have two cats, one of which does get off its backside occaissionally to go out and lazily stare at the birds in my garden, so the birds don`t come down to pick off the slimy hoarde.

The copper tape does sound good, but for the expense of one pot? I dont know. Anyhoo, knowing the slugs around here, they would have earth straps attached, or be wearing Doctor Martens to avoid the electrical discharge!

All The Best,

The Valley Vegan...Jo <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

I have the same trouble with slugs. I had a couple of bean plants in a pot indoors. I kept them indoors til they were about three feet high, and then put the pot outside. Next morning - bare stems! Every time a new leaf grew the slugs eat it. We are surrounded by fields, woods and water, so we have more slugs than we need. I try to encourage frogs and hedgehogs as they eat slugs. I have seen copper tape which you can put round tubs which is supposed to keep slugs away - I shall try that next year.

Jo

Hey Fraggle,

Guess what.......

The slugs eat them all.

Do you have any ideas?

The Valley Vegan.To send an email to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself

Guest guest

Hi Peter

We've given up for now. The slugs even demolish the French or African marigolds if we put them on the ground - so they are in baskets. We do want to try to grow some veggies when we retire though - and I have a horrible feelingthe slugs will still win.

Jo

Thanks for that , as a lot of slug species live in the soil, I dont think it possible to do away with their hiding places without an earth mover, sort of defeats the purpose!

I heard that slugs can travel up to a mile back from whence they came when re-located, slimy little beggars. I did try sharp sand around the plants, but like a lot of things suggested once it rained the slugs ignored my pityful attempts and chortled their way to a chompin`.

The Valley Vegan...........

Guest guest

LOL - slugs in Dr Martens.

Jo

Hi Jo

Thanks for the reply, Unfotunately I have two cats, one of which does get off its backside occaissionally to go out and lazily stare at the birds in my garden, so the birds don`t come down to pick off the slimy hoarde.

The copper tape does sound good, but for the expense of one pot? I dont know. Anyhoo, knowing the slugs around here, they would have earth straps attached, or be wearing Doctor Martens to avoid the electrical discharge!

All The Best,

The Valley Vegan...

Guest guest

Bit behind in my e's so you might have this sorted already but there's copper tape you can get that's supposed to keep slugs away. You can put it around planters & things, not sure if it works on the ground. Don't think it's expensive.

peter hurd [swpgh01]

The Valley Vegan...........

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.712 / Virus Database: 468 - Release 27/06/2004

Guest guest

Hi Jo,

Strangely enough, the slugs dont seem to be interested in the common marigold - calendula, only its glamorous French/African cousins. Reverse xenophobic slugs in Dr Martens, whatever next! So I have to eat them now ( well the flowers anyway).

as for vegies, Fraggles your man. He is the font of knowledge on grow your own/brew your own.

The Valley Vegan.....Jo <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

We've given up for now. The slugs even demolish the French or African marigolds if we put them on the ground - so they are in baskets. We do want to try to grow some veggies when we retire though - and I have a horrible feelingthe slugs will still win.

Jo

The Valley Vegan...........To send an email to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself